• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
20190713_231426jvjrr.jpg

Great fucking night.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've said this before here, but I think the pacing of the season is part of why I love it. I know some people won't be able to handle or like it, for example my best friend has trouble concentrating while watching things and she could never sit down and watch the third season of Twin Peaks, it'd bore her and lose her attention (and that's fine). But I think Season 3's pacing is perfect for what it is and I wouldn't change it. It's a bit hard to describe why I like it as it is, there's some scenes and bits that literally are just buying time (cough cough peanut sweeping scene cough), but I'd also say the weird glacial pacing of the show gives it a very unique feel which I do appreciate and the shows willingness to just sit on something for an extended period of time has an interesting effect on the viewer and whatever takes place before and after it. I also somewhat took the season as being a deconstruction of modernized consumption, which I doubt was Lynch's actual intent, but there's so much in the show that seems to go against modern viewer sensibility. Lynch has famously talked about his distaste for people watching things on their phone, Lynch is a firm believer in things taking time to come together he shows all the time in both his creative process and work. I think Lynch didn't make the season be slow just for the sake of it, I do believe he legitimately wanted it to be this way for his own creative reasons. But I think from the first episode of a character closely watching a glass box as nothing happens, and the moment he stops paying attention and decides to "Netflix and Chill" with his girlfriend he misses the thing he was waiting for happening, and some things taking a long while to slowly build-up to and taking a "Slow and steady wins the race" philosophy with itself, with so much else in the series contributes to an unintentional feeling the third season has commentary on how people's dying attention span and consumption of media is not a one-size glove fits all way that every creative work needs to be. Audiences being open to different experiences may be rewarded with wonderfully compelling and unique works in their own right.

I do agree on some level Season 3 works a bit better when binged watched, but I also think how Season 3 aired was one of the best TV experiences I had. Watching week-by-week the response to each episode and people speculating was very fun. The show is unlike anything else on TV (I think is very fair to say), so just seeing the raw response to it was really enjoyable. It was fun speculating with everyone where exactly things would go, the various theories, it was fun seeing the juxtaposition of some people thinking this was a really engaging odd masterpiece that was quintessential Lynch and other people be really bitter about the shows glacial pacing and lacking various elements and the tone of the original series. There was so much unknown about the series going in, the promotional material showed almost nothing and the lack of week previews, details, and the like is just something that doesn't happen much anymore. There was so much to unpack as the show was airing, and I really do think out of any "Televised Event" I've taken part in this was the most fun, and will be a happy memory I have. I'm really glad I watched it live, it's an experience you could've only really gotten as it aired week-by-week, and I think that experience will stick with me.

This said, the actual pacing of the show does benefit a lot at letting you watch at your own pace. The show is really like how many have concluded it is, it's like an 18-hour movie. Some things work a lot better watching each episode right after the other than with week breaks in-between. I also think some things come together more once you know where they are going. A prime example I can think of is Audrey's subplot. I remember while the show was airing people were so upset with Audrey's role in the show, which the week by week format did not help. I was more positive than most since I was picking up that there was something really weird with Audrey, and some others were picking up there was real weirdness in her scenes most people were too upset to pay attention to, but I think some subplots like this work a lot better on rewatch where you kinda' know where it's going and makes the details leading up to that oddness more interesting in retrospective. It's kinda' obvious the show knew where it was going from the beginning, but hides it's hand a lot of the time and just slowly drip feeds you the first time you're watching. It doesn't explain in depth a lot of the specifics, and as such there's a lot to read into an theorize, but in it's own weird logic there is a consistency to the world of Twin Peaks, and it does become clearer as you get more pieces of it so you can pick up on more things when you rewatch.

I really do think the "optimal" way to have seen the show though was to have been there as it was airing live and just discussing with everyone who also didn't have a clue where it was going either and feverishly theorizing/expressing opinions of love and hate towards it. Then after that initial experience, being able to sit down when you feel like it and watch it at it's own pace. I feel Twin Peaks Season 3, more than most shows, benefited a lot from both methods of watching due to what the show itself is, allowing lots of crazy speculation and deconstruction and working as a week-by-week enigma and watching experience unlike anything else, as well as taken more as an 18-hour film you can watch at your own leisure.

I completely agree, friend.

Talking about it online or with friends and family as it aired was some of the most fun I have had with a TV series in an exceptionally long time.

I don't even know another series that I think back on years later and feel happy about what a great experience it was.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I completely agree, friend.

Talking about it online or with friends and family as it aired was some of the most fun I have had with a TV series in an exceptionally long time.

I don't even know another series that I think back on years later and feel happy about what a great experience it was.
It was an absolute pleasure, at a time when I needed something to look forwards to each week. I can't imagine getting through the first six months of Donald Trump in the Whitehouse without season 3.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
IMG-20190725-124620.jpg

Well, my Fire Walk With Me Criterion copy arrived today. Now the hole I felt when I miss the chance to got "The Entire Mystery" is finally gone. Now I'm just waiting The Return BD release got a bit cheaper for Christmas holiday... and don't get unavailable by then lol

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
COMING ON 10/15:

* Twin Peaks - The Complete Television Collection (Paramount)
DVD; Blu-ray
EXTRAS: A wealth of intriguing, behind-the-scenes special features
-----For the first time, in one collection, the complete television phenomenon TWIN PEAKS: All 29 episodes of the original groundbreaking seasons; All 18 parts of the "Limited Event Series" - the return to Twin Peaks - that captivated audiences 25 years later, written by the series co-creators and entirely directed by David Lynch. So grab a cup of coffee, a slice of cherry pie, and experience the legendary mystery...again and again!

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
COMING ON 10/15:

DVD; Blu-ray
-----For the first time, in one collection, the complete television phenomenon TWIN PEAKS: All 29 episodes of the original groundbreaking seasons; All 18 parts of the "Limited Event Series" - the return to Twin Peaks - that captivated audiences 25 years later, written by the series co-creators and entirely directed by David Lynch. So grab a cup of coffee, a slice of cherry pie, and experience the legendary mystery...again and again!

Maybe they fixed the audio sync issues finally. You just have to rebuy the whole show again!

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
COMING ON 10/15:

DVD; Blu-ray
Guess Fire Walk With Me has been banished to the Criterion lodge.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What audio sync issue? Watched it three times on that set, but have not noticed any issues.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
If I remember things correctly it's one of those cases were only certain blu-ray players experienced sync issues, which sucks but it does happen more often than you'd think, especially on older blu-ray hardware. I watched it on a PS4 and it seemed fine.

edit: or not, see next post

Last edited:

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
No, it wasn't certain blu ray players. That was the spin CBS put out. They messed up the audio syncing in a few scenes in season 2 I believe. CBS never really handled the issue, instead just letting it get forgotten about. It was pretty shitty. The one that comes to mind is the scene where there's a barbershop humming in the background near the beginning of season 2, a conversation between Albert and Cooper. It's an issue that's not existent (NON EXISTENT) on streaming platforms though.

I have a PS4 and have observed the issue. I think some people are more sensitive to the issue, which resulted in some folks just not ever picking up on it / thinking their blu ray player was unaffected. Name me another blu ray where the audio gets unsync depending on the player... It's a content issue, not a content reading issue.

EDIT: just to clarify.. the unsynced audio is subtle, it's not an immediately obvious issue and it only happens during certain scenes not whole episodes from what I recall

Oct 27, 2017
No, it wasn't certain blu ray players. That was the spin CBS put out. They messed up the audio syncing in a few scenes in season 2 I believe. CBS never really handled the issue, instead just letting it get forgotten about. It was pretty shitty. The one that comes to mind is the scene where there's a barbershop humming in the background near the beginning of season 2, a conversation between Albert and Cooper. It's an issue that's not existent (NON EXISTENT) on streaming platforms though.

I have a PS4 and have observed the issue. I think some people are more sensitive to the issue, which resulted in some folks just not ever picking up on it / thinking their blu ray player was unaffected. Name me another blu ray where the audio gets unsync depending on the player... It's a content issue, not a content reading issue.

EDIT: just to clarify.. the unsynced audio is subtle, it's not an immediately obvious issue and it only happens during certain scenes not whole episodes from what I recall

I seem to recall FWWM and / or The Missing Pieces having sync issues too. It was fixable in my experience by disabling 24fps mode on the PS4, but it still shouldn't have ever happened.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom

Interesting. I didn't notice it but I believe you. I just took CBS at their word because I've seen issues like that before, where it really did affect certain players only. Hell, it's the case in a recent release I bought, a Doctor Who blu-ray set, but there the issue is way more severe if you do experience it. I checked that one and it was all good on my end for sure.

In that case I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't fixed though. Since they handled it that way before they probably just repressed the same darn discs.

Anyway, apologies for spreading misinformation.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a UHD blu ray player, and honestly I don't feel so appealing to 4K content when surely it will cost 2 or 3 times more than bluray. And even that, not even the best streaming can get the same bitrate quality than physical release.

In other topic, I put the Missing Piece yesterday from the Criterion release and it doesn't have subtitles. Shame :( it was the same with The Entire Mystery release?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't have a UHD blu ray player, and honestly I don't feel so appealing to 4K content when surely it will cost 2 or 3 times more than bluray.

It doesn't. new UHD movie releases costs about the same as new blurays. And they usually come with bluray and digital releases in addition to them, so you get a lot of value with the purchase. I have the Xbox One X which plays UHD. If you have an OLED, 4K HDR (especially dolby vision) is a game changer.

Oct 25, 2017
I never watched Twin Peaks, partly because I've not really been fond of David Lynch outside of Mulholland Drive. I started in January of this year and finished The Return last night. I loved almost all of my time with it. I had nothing spoiled (including who killed Laura) and now I feel like I have decades worth of materials to read and digest. Any works, essays, podcasts, or videos I should watch now? I can finally read what Joel Bocko back in The Dancing Image was raving about all this time.

I'm still organizing my thoughts on it all. It may take a while.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I never watched Twin Peaks, partly because I've not really been fond of David Lynch outside of Mulholland Drive. I started in January of this year and finished The Return last night. I loved almost all of my time with it. I had nothing spoiled (including who killed Laura) and now I feel like I have decades worth of materials to read and digest. Any works, essays, podcasts, or videos I should watch now? I can finally read what Joel Bocko back in The Dancing Image was raving about all this time.

I'm still organizing my thoughts on it all. It may take a while.
The Essential Wrapped in Plastic by John Thorne is a great companion piece to the series, which deals with the series (the original) as a whole and talks extensively about each episode.

The Secret History of Twin Peaks and The Final Dossier were released quite recently, and they are pretty fun reads (and great audiobooks as well). They are mostly about the lore of the series, and detail some of the stuff that happened between Season 2 and The Return.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of Podcasts, I had a lot of fun with A Twin Peaks Podcast: A Podcast About Twin Peaks. Was hosted by Jeff Jensen and Darren Franich. This was Entertainment Weekly's Podcast and the hosts are really passionate about the show. It mostly focused on The Return as it was launched to listen to after each episode.

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of Podcasts, I had a lot of fun with A Twin Peaks Podcast: A Podcast About Twin Peaks. Was hosted by Jeff Jensen and Darren Franich. This was Entertainment Weekly's Podcast and the hosts are really passionate about the show. It mostly focused on The Return as it was launched to listen to after each episode.

Seconding this recommendation. Also check out Diane, which for me has given me a lot to chew on in their analysis and interpretations. I'd recommend it over all the other Twin Peaks podcasts personally. Diane did a show watch from the Pilot of the original to Part 18 of the Return as well as covering Fire Walk With Me and the Mark Frost books. Right now they're in the midst of a rewatch of the Return.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I started on Diane recently but am only a few episodes in, so I wasn't ready to recommend it, but it's very good so far.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Diane is a great podcast. They have a dynamic together that let's them go from serious deep analysis, to goofy jokes, to a random digression, and back to deep analysis. All done by intelligent people with open hearts and minds. It's the perfect way for a show to come at analyzing Twin Peaks. I'm happy they are doing a rewatch of The Return, because their discussions benefit from more hindsight and context.

Rosie and Bob also have a side show called The Shadow Trap where they analyze paranormal entities and how they are expressed in storytelling and media that has the same vibe.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh, I almost forgot. I finally saw a video of the QA and I hosted last month show up on youtube. Kind of embarrassed to share it here but it's out there anyways so I may as well. Hopefully some people here will get a kick out of some of the stories the celebs told. My butt features prominently in the thumbnail.

Oct 27, 2017
New Box Sets

Two new box sets. Complete TV collection on October 15th and from Z-A - which includes everything, including FWWM, The Missing Pieces, new extras and a 4K disc featuring the 1990 pilot, international pilot and Season 3, Part 8 - is limited to 25,000 numbered copies and launches first in the US & Canada (international release later) on December 10th.

TWIN PEAKS: FROM Z TO A will be housed in packaging with an exterior adorned by a wraparound vista of haunting and majestic Douglas Fir trees. Once opened, a depiction of the infamous Red Room is revealed with its brown and crème chevron floor and brilliant red curtains. Sitting in front of the red curtain will be an exclusive die-cut acrylic figure of Laura Palmer kissing Special Agent Dale Cooper. This acrylic figure comes inside a plastic display holder held in place by magnets.

Fans will have the option of leaving the figure in place inside The Red Room environment or removing and displaying it elsewhere. The plastic holder can also serve as an easel to display individual images from The Red Room Gallery, a curated set of 5" x 5" printed cards depicting memorable moments in The Red Room. Each package will also contain an individually numbered collectible certificate.
TWIN PEAKS: FROM Z TO A will be housed in packaging with an exterior adorned by a wraparound vista of haunting and majestic Douglas Fir trees. Once opened, a depiction of the infamous Red Room is revealed with its brown and crème chevron floor and brilliant red curtains. Sitting in front of the red curtain will be an exclusive die-cut acrylic figure of Laura Palmer kissing Special Agent Dale Cooper. This acrylic figure comes inside a plastic display holder held in place by magnets.

Fans will have the option of leaving the figure in place inside The Red Room environment or removing and displaying it elsewhere. The plastic holder can also serve as an easel to display individual images from The Red Room Gallery, a curated set of 5" x 5" printed cards depicting memorable moments in The Red Room. Each package will also contain an individually numbered collectible certificate.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
New Box Sets

Two new box sets. Complete TV collection on October 15th and from Z-A - which includes everything, including FWWM, The Missing Pieces, new extras and a 4K disc featuring the 1990 pilot, international pilot and Season 3, Part 8 - is limited to 25,000 numbered copies and launches first in the US & Canada (international release later) on December 10th.
Fuck. Buying it just for this.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, very happy with this release and the included 4k pieces. But considering they've done the pilot in 4k and that the entire new season was done in 4k, I guess I'll just wait for the full 4k version some day. On the other hand, those extras...

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I almost forgot. I finally saw a video of the QA and I hosted last month show up on youtube. Kind of embarrassed to share it here but it's out there anyways so I may as well. Hopefully some people here will get a kick out of some of the stories the celebs told. My butt features prominently in the thumbnail.

Great job! Thanks for sharing. Really great to see and hear from Eric Da Rey.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
*looks at my Entire Mystery, FWWM Criterion, and deluxe packaging S3*
New Box Sets

giphy.gif

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered. Perfect timing too. I was actually looking to pick up the Entire Mystery but hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
This is so tempting. But I love my The Entire Mystery and Season 3 box sets.

I'll wait for the box set that comes out in 5 years and includes season 4 as well...

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
The box art is so beautiful. I already own everything so I'm going to hold off for now. BUT if I had the extra $....

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
New Box Sets

Finally. I was waiting for 4K.

Wait, why only S3E08? I hope they release the whole season in UHD someday

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
S3 was finished with a 4k DI, so chances are pretty big it'll eventually get a release in that format.