• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
in a just world Criterion would just get the rights to all of Lynch's filmography. their Mulholland Drive and Fire Walk With Me releases are really good

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I almost imported this a few weeks ago. And with that, thank you very much for this warning!
Same here, I had no idea. Now I'm also reading that it only has a downsampled stereo sound mix. Apparently the French blu-ray ran at proper speed with 5.1 audio... so, naturally, it went out of print a long time ago. That's just great.

The Straight Story being stuck in the vault is a tragedy. Incredible movie that nobody ever talks about.
Yeah, I've put off watching The Straight Story for the longest time because of this. The rare off-hand mentions of that movie made it sound "unlynchian," and while it does lack his trademark weirdness, it more than makes up for it with some of the most painterly cinematography in any of his films. It's beautiful.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It's a sad mess everywhere. Lost Highway somehow never came out on blu-ray in the US, The Straight Story only came out in Japan, Hotel Room and On The Air haven't seen a home release since VHS.

You're surprised a failed 3 episode show (Hotel Room) from 1993 never made it to dvd/bluray? I mean, maybe HBO would have it streaming, but I'm not surprised since it crashed and burned. I'd never heard of it until you just mentioned it. It's funny, HBO has a new anthology called Room 104 which has sort of the same premise, but it was renewed. I like it a lot.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
You're surprised a failed 3 episode show (Hotel Room) from 1993 never made it to dvd/bluray? I mean, maybe HBO would have it streaming, but I'm not surprised since it crashed and burned. I'd never heard of it until you just mentioned it. It's funny, HBO has a new anthology called Room 104 which has sort of the same premise, but it was renewed. I like it a lot.
I never said I'm surprised, but I'm definitely disappointed. The two Lynch-directed episodes are pretty great and worth preserving. The show might have flopped, but that doesn't mean that it deserves to be forgotten.
One of those episodes ("Tricks") is basically a prototype of Lost Highway, which should be enough to make it historically important in the context of Lynch's filmography. It's a fascinating little thing.

The fact that most fans of Lynch's work are familiar with goshdarned Dumbland, but very few have even heard of Hotel Room is, pardon my Lynch, "such a sadness."

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
No acting nominations at the Emmys. Kyle was robbed.

DIRECTING FOR A LIMITED SERIES, TV MOVIE OR DRAMATIC SPECIAL
Scott Frank, "Godless"
David Leveaux (director) and Alex Rudzinski (Live Television Director), "Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert"
Barry Levinson, "Paterno"
Edward Berger, "Patrick Melrose"
Ryan Murphy, "The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story" ("The Man Who Would Be Vogue")
Craig Zisk, "The Looming Tower" ("9/11")
David Lynch, "Twin Peaks"

WRITING FOR A LIMITED SERIES, TV MOVIE OR DRAMATIC SPECIAL
Kevin McManus and Matthew McManus, "American Vandal" ("Clean Up")
Scott Frank, "Godless"
David Nicholls, "Patrick Melrose"
Tom Rob Smith, "The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story" ("House By The Lake")
David Lynch and Mark Frost, "Twin Peaks"
William Bridges and Charlie Brooker, "USS Callister (Black Mirror)"

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/2018-emmy-nominations-list-game-of-thrones-atlanta-1201983365/

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Unbelievable! Worst of all, I have a feeling neither Lynch or Frost are gonna win. I hope they do, but I doubt it.

Or well, you guys tell me, I'm not very savvy in the Emmy's to know how this is gonna go.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they snubbed Kyle. That mans acting was superb in the limited series. Miguel Ferrer deserves a nomination as well

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Miguel Ferrer deserves a nomination as well
For what, though? Cancer is a motherfucker and it was great to see Ferrer one last time, but Albert spent almost the entire series sitting in a hotel room, with the actor visibly confused by the material he was given.

With nearly every character being criminally underused (except for all the Coopers and Gordon's crew), most of them barely qualify to be called supporting roles. Otherwise I would love to see Matthew Lillard and Grace Zabriskie get some recognition (though more than that, I would have loved to see them get some proper screen time).

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'd like to see a recut of the whole Season 3 with music inserted from the S1-2 in all the empty spots. I swear the actors seemed to be assuming there would be filler music. Such dead space.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
Been rewatching the show now that I have everything on Blu-ray. The video quality of S1 & S2 is noticeably better than on Netflix; I was really surprised at the jump.

Almost at the end of S2 and I'm furious at this Billy Zane character all over again lol. S1 Audrey would never fall for this doof. At least the Cooper/Annie thing is believable. Still think the bad chunk of S2 is mostly enjoyable though, and things more or less get back to normal when Gordon shows up.

Looking forward to watching S3 without Amazon's shitty compression.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The Twin Peaks fest is this weekend. I'll try to share photos. I'm supposed to be leading one of the bus tours and MCing the celebrity dinner, so we'll see how that goes.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I stumbled upon this book the other day, and figured others here would be interested:
81coRgasYoL.jpg
It's a biography, written by Lynch himself, with sections by McKenna to describe the historical events happening throughout Lynch's narration. Haven't started it yet, but I like it already ;)

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I stumbled upon this book the other day, and figured others here would be interested:

It's a biography, written by Lynch himself, with sections by McKenna to describe the historical events happening throughout Lynch's narration. Haven't started it yet, but I like it already ;)
It's the other way around. It's written by McKenna, intercut sections in which Lynch comments and elaborates on the preceding chapter (or just drifts off in wildly different directions).

There's also an audiobook version with its own Lynch segments because he thought that reading his transcribed stories would be bullshit, so he tells some stories differently and sometimes he skips over stuff because "you can read about that in the book" ... in the parts he didn't feel like reading.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
It's the other way around. It's written by McKenna, intercut sections in which Lynch comments and elaborates on the preceding chapter (or just drifts off in wildly different directions).

There's also an audiobook version with its own Lynch segments because he thought that reading his transcribed stories would be bullshit, so he tells some stories differently and sometimes he skips over stuff because "you can read about that in the book" ... in the parts he didn't feel like reading.
Ah, thanks for the correction! That audiobook version sounds great, I might end up getting that too after reading it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Probably best not to read too far into this yet, who knows what will and won't happen, but I'll say a Wild At Heart TV show is one of the last possibilities I'd ever expect. Not to say it'd be done by Lynch, I kinda' doubt it, but this was said as the Festival of Distortion.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I think Wild at Heart is my least favourite of his movies. I should probably give it another chance, but as of right now it's not something that I'd be interested in.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
The TV series would likely be based on the Sailor and Lula book series, I doubt it would have anything to do with Lynch or his version of the story.
Though if Dern and Cage were to reprise the roles of those two horny idiots, that sure would be a sight to behold.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First time I change my avatar but I love this shot of Bobby too much.

Just wanted to recommend Requiem on Netflix, a mystery/drama thriller, I posted about it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ching-is-encouraged.456/page-20#post-13768243

It's not really Lynchian, but if like me you like good mysteries in small towns where everyone has something to hide, with a hint of supernatural elements, it could be up your alley. I'll probably make a LTTP thread about it, I want more people to watch it because I want a second season and it will depend on how it fares on Netflix.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Quick and dirty FAQ:
"How should I watch it" release order. Seasons 1 & 2, FWWM, Missing Pieces, Season 3.
"Season 2 is really long" there's a quality drop at a certain point midway through. It's really obvious when it happens. At that point, you can fast forward through some of the more boring subplots without missing anything important. Keep watching cause it gets good again and the last episode of season 2 is the best episode of the original run.
"Are the books important" they're fun but no not at all.
"This show's old, does it hold up" The movies and season 3 absolutely do. Season 1 and a large chunk of season 2 also do, assuming you keep in mind two things: This is far before the golden age of television, so some of it may feel a little restricted in comparison to the amazing things modern tv pulls off. The first two seasons are a parody of soap operas that used to occupy its timeslot, so a lot of the cheese is very much intentional.
"I've never seen the missing pieces" It's a collection of deleted scenes from FWWM editted into a movie. Some plotpoints arguably come up in season 3, and some scenes in FWWM are made a little less ambiguous through it. You can watch season 3 without seeing it though.

Last edited:

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, Twin Peaks fans! You're our next Community Spotlight!

Come on Frost or Lynch, could really do with that Season 4 announcement right about now...

Whilst I'm sticking with my personal theory on the final episode being:

A 'prison/trap' dimension created by Judy to stop Cooper rescuing Laura Palmer in Episode 17

...I heard an alternate take on it from a podcast a few weeks back which I found interesting:

Twin Peaks itself is a 'dream world' that takes things from the outside world and turns them into the weird and kooky TV-drama reality once they cross its borders. So, Cooper was just a dour FBI agent in the real-world who upon crossing the boundary into Twin Peaks, became the slightly screw-loose Cooper we all know. (Also why Laura Palmer goes from being the centre-of-attention prom-queen girl, to what a rural life might well have realistically had laid out for her: A job as a waitress.) The influence of the power around the town having spread out either over time, or because of people moving outwards and spreading it that way.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I think The Final Dossier is a critical companion piece to season 3 especially for anyone looking for some insight on what's going on in the last couple of episodes and of course the infamous episode 8.
The Secret History and The Final Dossier don't fit anywhere in the continuity of either iteration of the show, which makes them just as apocryphal as the rest.
At least the earlier books made an effort not to disregard the story of the show as it existed at the time of their release.

While The Final Dossier does provide some insight into one possible take on the events, it's all stated so plainly, it can strip the show of its mystique if you let it get to you.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
The Secret History and The Final Dossier don't fit anywhere in the continuity of either iteration of the show, which makes them just as apocryphal as the rest.
At least the earlier books made an effort not to disregard the story of the show as it existed at the time of their release.

While The Final Dossier does provide some insight into one possible take on the events, it's all stated so plainly, it can strip the show of its mystique if you let it get to you.

Also, if anyone's reading this and hasn't yet read these two books, make sure to just skip past the segment on Norma in each one. Mark Frost writes himself into a corner in the first book, then does ridiculous loop-the-loop retconning to get himself out of it in the second book. Surprisingly atrocious writing.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me I gotta continue watching season 3! I think I've had the ending spoiled but I'm curious to see how things unravel. I stopped after episode 8 which didn't really leave an impression on me but I appreciate what Lynch and the team are doing here as a whole.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Come on Frost or Lynch, could really do with that Season 4 announcement right about now...

A 'prison/trap' dimension created by Judy to stop Cooper rescuing Laura Palmer in Episode 17

...I heard an alternate take on it from a podcast a few weeks back which I found interesting:

Twin Peaks itself is a 'dream world' that takes things from the outside world and turns them into the weird and kooky TV-drama reality once they cross its borders. So, Cooper was just a dour FBI agent in the real-world who upon crossing the boundary into Twin Peaks, became the slightly screw-loose Cooper we all know. (Also why Laura Palmer goes from being the centre-of-attention prom-queen girl, to what a rural life might well have realistically had laid out for her: A job as a waitress.) The influence of the power around the town having spread out either over time, or because of people moving outwards and spreading it that way.
Damn, I heard the first theory, but the second one is REALLY good.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Might be due for a rewatch. Also, criterion needs to get Lost Highway and a proper Blue Velvet release.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I just watched Blue Velvet for the first time recently! I want to watch Lost Highway next.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That second theory....
I like it. It's almost like an inverse Silent Hill, though not necessarily with any less sinister a force at work behind it. Concerning the first theory, I'm not sure I'm totally sold on it being a trap dimension, at least anymore than the previous world we watched for most of the show is a trap dimension!

Whether it's true or not, I do feel like the finale's Cooper and Laura, and by extension the world that we see in the final episode are "more real" versions of their previous incarnations. I don't know how that fits into anything in terms of the show's greater mythology....I just think that fits with Lynch's idea of spiritual enlightenment and "waking up" one's truer selves. They might even have some ways left to go, based on how S3 ends....

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I tried to DVR season 3 while it was airing, but something screwed it all up so I couldn't watch any of it. What's the best way to view it now? Any chance it'll come to Netflix?

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks to yesterday's episode of The Chase I've just discovered that Sherilyn Fenn (Audrey Horne) is the niece of Suzi Quatro. Brilliant.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

This is actually a really fun interpretation of the show. I'm not sure I buy it wholeheartedly, but in some ways I like it more than the theories that are more commonly supported.