• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm still processing what I watched.

it was fucking *dark*. I wasn't expecting that after the tone of season 2. I actually didn't like-season 2 and dropped it without finishing. I read up on what happens ultimately and was interested regarding the real supernatural route it takes.

i dislike soap opera *greatly*, so that was my biggest problem with 2.

But I really liked FWWM. It's just heart wrenching, and has the tone I wished was replicated in the tv series.

i also generally am not impressed with Lynch's work outside of Blue Velvet (which is a great movie), but FWWM was pretty excellent in its imagery too. Haunting stuff, and Sheryl Lee's acting was disturbingly good.

Thinking about watching The Return. We'll see.

The movie really can stand on its own as a certain tale of...sexual abuse? Suburban existentialism? I'm unsure but it's definitely staying with me.

Edit: also wtf at David Bowie's character.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Man you fucked up not watching the last episode of s2

But yes FWWM is a fucking FANTASTIC movie and you just don't feel good after watching it

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
FWWM is my favorite "episode" of the show by far.

I thought The Return was fucking incredible, watch it OP!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Man you fucked up not watching the last episode of s2

But yes FWWM is a fucking FANTASTIC movie and you just don't feel good after watching it
👆👆

You need to power through Season 2.

And Fire Walk With Me is a masterpiece.

The Return is an amazing prestige television.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
Outside of Mulholland Drive, FWWM is my favourite work from Lynch. It is a harrowing horror movie about domestic abuse with an amazing performance by Sheryl Lee.

The ending backed by Angelo Badalamenti' The Voice of Love is one of the most beautiful and purest emotional release of relief endings of all time.

Oct 25, 2017
LR8yylE.jpg

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Also they really should have kept the family scenes they removed in the final cut, because it kinda made Leland look like he was just a fucking physco rather than it being Bob

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I was not expecting such good acting from Sheryl Lee. Don't understand how she didn't get way more work after.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know anything about twin peaks but I watched a few of those lynch weather forecast videos and was interested. Where do I start? Season 1 on a streaming service?

Neutral_Jump

Mar 21, 2020
Saint Louis
Yeah, The Return is like a 16 hour long payoff after the agony of season 2's finale. It's also meant to be watched right after FWWM (which is meant to be watched after the season 2 finale).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
is it more focused, does it meander less than s2?
It is incredibly meandering, but the plot threads are considerably more interesting and weird than the dumb soap opera stuff from the bad parts of season 2. It's more of a surreal version of modern TV dramas instead, except with Lynch having no one to hold him back.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I was not expecting such good acting from Sheryl Lee. Don't understand how she didn't get way more work after.

The fact that she was originally hired just to "play" a corpse in the pilot and went on to do what she did amazes me. It's like how Senua (from Hellblade) was realised through one of the best performances in a game released that year, courtesy of *checks notes* Ninja Theory's video editor?!

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Watch The Missing Pieces (FWWM deleted scenes) if you get the chance. They are on The Criterion Channel, if you just want to stream them, or the the FWWM Blu-ray.

I found the scattered nature of the edit to be a good precursor to how The Return flows. And while the The Return can feel meandering, it's still telling a story. It's just Lynch/Frost follow threads at a unique pace. They enjoy letting a moment exist for an extended period of time and take a while to connect things together, or allow you as the viewer to ponder how to feel and think about what the story means and how it all fits. I rewatched all of Twin Peaks over the summer and The Return was so rewarding. I'm still thinking it about it. The series felt whole on the rewatch. The Return truly is Twin Peaks. They managed to synthesize and recompile all that came before it while taking it even further.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
OP, you really need to watch the S2 finale. It is one of the greatest cases in media of a course correction while also evolving the property. It changed everything Twin Peaks is and would forever be. Also, maybe consider giving the rest of S2 a shot sometime. Yeah, it can be the drizzling shits but even the worst episodes offer something to build to the finale in terms of lore and overall mythology.

As for FWWM, this was my experience with it. When I first watched the show, I was incredibly hooked on the central mystery and when that went away so did I basically, despite finishing season 2 still. I thought then that the show wrapped everything up perfectly with the big reveal in S2 and the immediate follow-ups. The rest didn't matter to me, and the finale didn't light my fire either, to be honest. I was so done with the Window Earle story that I didn't care. All I knew, after watching it, is that Coop is apparently Bob now (it's a lot more than that, I just didn't see it) and that story wasn't even covered by the film. To add to that, I wasn't excited about the idea of a prequel and was aware of its initial reception. I decided to end Twin Peaks with the S2 finale.

Years later, I did a rewatch. Once I finished the Palmer story again I didn't go on. I still didn't watch the movie.

Then some years later, season 3 got announced and I thought that was cool. I decided to pick up the Blu-ray to do another viewing before the new season released. This time I got a lot more out of the show. Season 2 is ridiculously awful at moments, but I picked up on the black lodge threads and was actually interested in something other than the Palmer family for once. Rewatching the finale blew me away that time. It was as if I had never seen it other than the final scene or so. I also figured out that Coop wasn't possessed and that Leland wasn't the innocent that the show lead me to believe he was in his final moments. There was more depth there than I knew.

Now that I had a reason to finally endure FWWM, especially with the promise of a new season, I decided to have a watch. I was expecting it to be a disappointment, but was now aware that it did have its fans. Man...that was such an insane viewing experience. It was funny, it was fucking weird, confusing, terrifying, heartbreaking, and enduring. I believe I cried at the ending. It was almost a mirror to the final scene. The film was so harrowing but there was also this sense of joy, love, and hope.

Fire Walk With Me is top notch Lynch. My only qualm with it as a film is how impenetrable it is unless you watch the show. After I finished it and the Missing Pieces I became obsessed. I rewatched the entire show and film again two months later before Season 3 hit. Twin Peaks dominated my conscience for a good while, to the point that I wasn't satisfied with other shows.

Season 3 played a big part in that as well. It's an amazing, innovative, and singular piece of television. Watching it week to week was insane as well. The episodes felt so intense due to Lynch's meticulous pacing and knowing that there was only so much time until I had to wait another week. I remember checking the clock in a panic many times dreading the end of an episode. The constant speculation and over dissection of every single moment was a highlight as well. Waiting week to week for my next fix in this modern world of binge television was excruciating at times.

Season 3 is such an odd animal. It is as enduring as it is challenging. Typically, I had a blast but there were moments of frustration and some uneasiness of where everything was heading. It's a bit messy here and there, sometimes intentional. I guess that comes with the territory since it was made as a 17-18 hour long movie. A lot of shows have advertised that relation, but The Return honestly plays that way. It doesn't follow standard television pacing with peaks and valleys and making use of hooks in keeping the viewer interested. There are a few episodes that end in the way you'd expect but others would end on the most mundane moment. The only indication that it was over was a common connected ending segment between them all. Despite all this, It seemed that everytime I almost began to question Lynch's and Frost's intentions they would blow my mind sky high afterwards. The Return, and the property in general, is just extraordinary. I believe this is the closest I get to knowing what it's like to be an anime fanboy or something like that, haha.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Season 3 is 16 hours of pure, uncompromised David Lynch and its amazing.
If you're a big fan of Coop however, your reserves of anticipation will be stretched beyond measure!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Glad you've seen the light! FWWM is horrendously underappreciated, and perhaps one of the best Twin Peaks joints out there.

2. There are exactly three episodes worth watching in The Return and the rest is unfortunately weak garbage.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
All of Twin Peaks is great (even season 2) but FWWM and The Return are definite high points.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i absolutely hated it at the time (almost 30 years ago, i'm guessing half the forum wasn't even born then) but juxtaposed between S2 and S3/The Return it's just all kinds of brilliant.

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
Incredible movie, maybe my favorite thing by Lynch and youre right. Its dark as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
They each require a different headspace to be in in order to watch them. The vibes from S1/S2, FWWM, and The Return are all very different and if you're not in the right mood to watch them, you might just get annoyed. Currently re-watching The Return (after going through everything prior again) and am enjoying it a hell of a lot more than when it first aired. You just have to get into the mindset of, "I'm going to watch David Lynch without budget constraints for 18 hours."

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Watch season 2. That is all. There's nothing you can read that can prepare you for the ending.

And then watch season 3 and cry a million tears. Just don't listen to all the weirdos telling you not to watch it

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you like the supernatural aspects of the show, watch the last few episodes of Season 2, then watch all of Season 3. It's one of the greatest seasons of television ever created.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
is it more focused, does it meander less than s2?

No and no.

The closest point of comparison to Twin Peaks S3 in my mind is the Endless 8 arc of Haruhi Suzumiya, if you are familiar with that. It intentionally employs a lot of tedium and withholds gratification from the viewer to elicit a response. This often makes it extremely frustrating to watch, especially if you had any sort of investment in the story or characters from the earlier seasons.

Rather than the thinly-veiled critique of soap operas from the first two seasons, It sets out to critique the vapid, mindless nature of sitcoms by creating an incredibly boring sitcom parody that occupies a sizeable chunk of the series. However, this is intercut with segments that feel more like film David Lynch, and wouldn't be out of place in Eraserhead or Blue Velvet, so tonally it is all over the place and feels rather incoherent as you watch it the first time. It is a much more enjoyable series to pick apart and analyze afterward than it is to watch in real time.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
When rewatching the full series over the summer, I was amazed how much The Return fit with the original run. It felt like the expected evolution of the series. I'm not talking about story developments, because Lynch/Frost think in a way that is hard to predict, but tone and feeling felt right. You can look to The Pilot episode and see thread that carries all the way to Part 18. I'm not saying it was planned. Lynch has a certain way of directing that evolved over his career and most apparently with Twin Peaks. The pacing gradually slowed down over the course of Lynch directed episodes and he really lived in so many moments. He embraced moments without dialogue and focused more on images, both mundane and evocative. I loved The Return when it came out in 2017, but it was a lot to take in. On my rewatch, it was the most enjoyable piece to watch. I knew where it was going so I could relax more and let myself feel it more presently. And as I watched the original run, I kept reflecting on where this was all heading with The Return. It was an incredible experience. It's a singularly rewarding experience, and I expect the next time I rewatch it to appreciate it a new.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate it, but have come around to it. The only thing I don't like is that it turns Bobby into a murderer. It's jarring.