• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
One hour in and made some interesting points so far, but man doing the Gordon Cole voice every time he reads a Lynch quote is pretty annoying.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I wish I read more of this thread before I watched the video. I didn't realize Twin Perfect was bad.
But I did watch the video. He definitely found (or read about) some interesting metaphors and symbolism in Twin Peaks. However, there was also a lot of reaching. I can buy into some of it, but to bottle everything down to "it takes place in a TV show, we're all Cooper!" and disregard any in universe explanations for things, isn't giving Lynch, Frost, and the show, enough credit. I kept expecting him to move on from that but he never did.
I also didn't like that he presented everything as facts instead of suggestions.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So did the video (Have no intention of watching it) talk about Return's two central themes of, The root of all suffering is attachment ,and you can never go home. ?
Yes, the last 45-minutes to an hour delve into how those themes from The Return tie into his over all concept but that the Return is not Twin Peaks as it was in 1991

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im 3 hours in and Im losing my shit. I have to rewatch this show with my newfound context. This deep dive was incredible.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
LostintheMovies "Journey Through Twin Peaks" is my go-to analysis for the original series and Fire Walk With Me. The continuation of that series which will cover season 3 was announced over a year ago, but it still isn't out yet. Looks like it's going to debut sometime this spring and end in the fall, but I believe I shouldn't throw my eggs into just one basket. I'll give this video a shot as well.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Lynch is a mad man if even half of this is true. I wasn't aware of the past regarding this channel until I came in here tonight, so I'll leave it at that.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it didn't take long for this to go off the rails for me. It mixes known analysis and some interesting, from time-to-time analysis with the completely absurd. It's absolutely hilarious how the video spends time to point out how people can over analyze by combing over every square inch of the frame when the answer is right in front of them; only to have this video so the same thing several times.

It reminds me of that Shining doc from years back. And this video is presented with an arrogance that's incredibly off-putting. Like, when someone comes into the room and believes they're the smartest person only to have them dish out flat Earth theory and other conspiracy's. They'll have an answer for every criticism or scrutiny, because they made up their mind a long time ago.

I absolutely died when I got to the "sawing logs" part.

Yeah, this is a big NO from me unless you want to entertain yourself with some well worn television theory and some batshit craziness.

Last edited:

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
talk about missing the point. people who desperately try to find the right theory or truth of this show needs to read up on postmodernism.

it's about as bad as trying to puzzle together the "real" story of the dark souls games.

Last edited:

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
this video is presented with an arrogance that's incredibly off-putting. Like, when someone comes into the room and believes they're the smartest person only to have them dish out flat Earth theory and other conspiracy's.
At one point in their "Prometheus was super smart, you just didn't get it" video, they actually say "well, last we checked, evolution was just a theory!".

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it didn't take long for this to go off the rails for me. It mixes known analysis and some interesting, from time-to-time analysis with the completely absurd. It's absolutely hilarious how the video spends time to point out how people can over analyze by coming over every square inch of the frame when the answer is right in front of them; only to have this video so the same thing several times.

It reminds me of that Shining doc from years back. And this video is presented with an arrogance that's incredibly off-putting. Like, when someone comes into the room and believes they're the smartest person only to have them dish out flat Earth theory and other conspiracy's. They'll have an answer for every criticism or scrutiny, because they made up their mind a long time ago.

I absolutely died when I got to the "sawing logs" part.

Yeah, this is a big NO from me unless you want to entertain yourself with some well worn television theory and some batshit craziness.
Yeah I hated this shit.
And like you said earlier LostintheMovies is great and probably the best YouTube channel for Twin Peaks analysis.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I hated this shit.
And like you said earlier LostintheMovies is great and probably the best YouTube channel for Twin Peaks analysis.

Right. It doesn't help that the commentator is so front and center here. On screen appearances should be kept down during these essay's. We come for the analysis, not the person giving it.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
As someone who knows Tomm Huelett in real life and saw in person the kind of vitriol and hate thrown his way, even as far as shouting slurs towards him and his wife at E3 of all places, I find it incredibly disheartening and frustrating that people allow these fuckheads to spread their gatekeeping fan theories so freely here. I understand one of them apologized, but they knew what was going on, going down and what they influenced as it happened with glee. And this was even after several attempts from Tomm to reach out and treat them with the respect they never deserved in the first place.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
a lot of this makes sense, some of it is really a stretch, where it goes from one word to another to another and links them all together. Also the "Judy" stuff seems so retrofit on Lynch's part, that it will always bother me. That obviously wasn't something he already planned to be the answer to "Judy"

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
a lot of this makes sense, some of it is really a stretch, where it goes from one word to another to another and links them all together. Also the "Judy" stuff seems so retrofit on Lynch's part, that it will always bother me. That obviously wasn't something he already planned to be the answer to "Judy"

Going through the series again (currently on S2) and yeah, I never thought that storyline felt organic. Don't get me wrong, I like it quite a bit, but have a hard time buying the whole blue rose task force existing during the original series run. If that's how they play it, I can't remember exactly.

I believe the one thing I'll have the biggest nitpick against in this viewing is the lack of Harry Truman is S3. I love Forster and all, but damn I will miss Harry.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Going through the series again (currently on S2) and yeah, I never thought that storyline felt organic. Don't get me wrong, I like it quite a bit, but have a hard time buying the whole blue rose task force existing during the original series run. If that's how they play it, I can't remember exactly.

I believe the one thing I'll have the biggest nitpick against in this viewing is the lack of Harry Truman is S3. I love Forster and all, but damn I will miss Harry.

Same. But he retired awhile ago and you can't force him to work. I'm glad we got some Forster because he just died.

edit: and also WTF is it with everyone from S3 dying? I mean plenty had already died but so many died after S3.

Last edited:

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing this come up and as much as I love Twin Peaks I just... don't feel the need to ever watch this. It seems completely unnecessary.

Oct 29, 2017
There's some good stuff in this video, primarily as it pertains to symbolism, use of lighting, and characters representing the creators at various turns in the seasons. I think he also had good points about season 3, and why it felt so disconnected.

I enjoy the mythological elements of twin peaks too much to boil it all down to it only being a meta-narrative on tv consumption, but I do love the idea that the characters are distressed because they are characters in a show that at some level deep down understand that their world is not real.

Twin Peaks is a freaking masterpiece series.