• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

TwinPerfect has made a 4 hours and 35 minutes essay developing its interpretation of Twin Peaks, with an incredible amount of information, interviews, and evidence from the show/movie to substantiate it.
From detailed analysis of scenes, answering burning questions, revealing details many might have missed, and creating a parallel with what Lynch had to say about his work, this video is an extremely well put together attempt at clarifying Lynch's intent, both with the original Twin Peaks, the movie, and The Return.

The video is structured that way :

- Explaining the concept of TwinPeaks, its origin and purpose
- Understanding how the show delivers its information (as well as diving into Lynch's personal beliefs and thought process)
- Making sense of "The Return", elaborating on the message of the show
- Twin Peaks' End

I recommend trying it out. You can watch the first 3 minutes preamble to have an idea on how this will be approached.

Even if you don't fully agree with all of it, there were still a lot of interesting things I learned from it ! It was a very informative video.

I don't expect the thread to be lively as it's really long to watch. But if you do, we can chat about it !

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting. I'm not the hugest fan of Lynch in general, but I really loved Twin Peaks (including the second season even though it went off the rails and FWWM), but I really disliked season 3 because it was like fucking peak Lynch in only the bad ways. Anyway, 4 and a half hours is a lot to ask but I'll try to watch this over the next few days.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I haven't watched Season 3, can I just watch the parts on S1&S2 or are there S3 spoilers throughout the whole video?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Watching thread and will listen to this all day at work tomorrow.
200.gif

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i will carve out the time to watch this as soon as i have a spare 5 hours, can't wait to dive into this.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Watch a Lav Diaz 4+ hour film or a 4.5 hour video essay about Twin Peaks?

Anyway, I've only started watching Twin Peaks so I'll check this out in a few months.

halcyjon

Mar 22, 2018
Ireland
I was aware of some of the meta aspects but holy shit it goes so much deeper than I ever would have realized. This video's amazing.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
got 20 mins in to the first break before I head to bed.

Loving it so far, his lynch impression takes a bit to get over tho :P

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ, why the hell he needs to try to impersonate David Lynch when reading his answers from interviews?

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ, why the hell he needs to try to impersonate David Lynch when reading his answers from interviews?

This is funny, he always does impression of people he quotes in every video.

He's a nerd. He put over 2 years writing and editing this video I give him a pass.

Give it a shot, that's their best video, it features none of the crude humor of their years old videos. It's a very sober take that just focuses on its themes.

got 20 mins in to the first break before I head to bed.

Loving it so far, his lynch impression takes a bit to get over tho :P

You won't mind it by hour 2 :p .

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Wow, this really veers wildly between "Huh, that makes some sense" and extreme next level reaching. I think you could cut away at least about 75% video, most of it masturbatory, eyebrow waggling "Eh? Eh?!" stuff and end up with something at least somewhat enlightening. As it stands it's overly long and self aggrandizing

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Wow, this really veers wildly between "Huh, that makes some sense" and extreme next level reaching. I think you could cut away at least about 75% video, most of it masturbatory, eyebrow waggling "Eh? Eh?!" stuff and end up with something at least somewhat enlightening.
Sounds like a typical Lynch fan theory.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So before I give them a click I have to ask - did TwinPerfect get better and not scummy or something? They were basically the epitome of what was wrong with the Silent Hill fandom.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit! Thanks for posting this, will watch in the next few days. Twin Peaks is one of the few subjects that I don't mind having a video this long to watch as long as it's in-depth and well-informed.

edit: some of the posts here are giving me pause, lol. I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So before I give them a click I have to ask - did TwinPerfect get better and not scummy or something? They were basically the epitome of what was wrong with the Silent Hill fandom.

Ugh, yeah, this is why I'm in two minds about watching this. The Twin Peaks fanatic in me would start watching this in a heartbeat, however I'm not the biggest fan of TP since the Tomm Hulett stuff.

There was a thread on here (in Gaming) back in February that really put things into perspective about their past videos during the Silent Hill years, how they effectively rallied a hate campaign against one man (and Fungo even apologised for it years later), that put a bad taste in my mouth.

Really horrible, toxic, hyperbolic shit.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Twin Perfect?

HAHAHAHAHAH.

Nope.

OF COURSE the group who think they have the only definitive understanding of Silent Hill 2 would claim to have 'solved' Twin Peaks. Arrogant ding bats.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
TwinPerfect has made a 4 hours and 35 minutes essay developing its interpretation of Twin Peaks, with an incredible amount of information, interviews, and evidence from the show/movie to substantiate it.

This is the channel that harassed game dev Tomm Hulett and made false claims of him ruining silent hill. Will not be giving this a watch, toxic channel.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Starting watching it last night up to around the half hour mark. My opinion of the channel dropped a bit after the horrible video defending Prometheus but so far so good.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
If I was Frost & Lynch I would do a 4th season just to correct all of this.......

please 4th season please

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered the Twin Peaks Blu Ray that was released recently. My first time watching the series, and it's some of the best television I've ever seen.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
This guy either is a genius with a direct link into Lynch's mind, or he's a complete and utter nutter. Either way it was interesting to watch.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
watched the whole thing via background noise the last few days. some interesting stuff if i can just take it as "a take", there's way dumber TP theory videos out there

mildly annoying/reaching how everything circles back to "the degeneracy of modern television" but like i said it's not the dumbest take ever

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Will give it a shot on the weekend, but with Lynch I usually just form my own opinion. Seems to me that's the way Lynch wants his work to be viewed.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
4 hours is a bit long to watch at work ^^
But I'm bookmarking this and will watch for sure, thanks :)

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I did a rewatch of Season 2 recently

I fully appreciate the criticism after episode 9 or so, but to be honest it's a testament to that world that I honestly didn't mind spending time with those characters in a soap opera setting

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about two hours through and it's an neat theory. Not 100% sold on it, but I can imagine Lynch thinking this way. It's going to make my next re-watch more interesting, at least.

halcyjon

Mar 22, 2018
Ireland
I did a rewatch of Season 2 recently

I fully appreciate the criticism after episode 9 or so, but to be honest it's a testament to that world that I honestly didn't mind spending time with those characters in a soap opera setting

I completely agree. I googled "when does twin peaks get bad" and I'd already gotten through the bad set without realizing. Super strength Nadine is so goofy it's hard to hate it. The fact Lynch himself gave a character a super strength glove in season 3 is just comical.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Thanks for the link OP, 4hours+.... yeah it couldn t be simple ;) I ll have to download the 360p version and watch peacefully, with a cherry pie.

Dilemma for commute tonight... switcher 3 or twin peaks ... Nunn....

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
A four hour and thirty minute fan-made video essay huh

We sure are living in these times

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i watched three and a half hours of this because i have no life. it's basically "it was all a dream," except a tv show instead of a dream. kind of like how thimbleweed park was actually a video game.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with his theory. It's pretty well explained, he provides LOTS and LOTS of material to make his point straight... it's one of the best theories I've seen about this show. And I agree with it.