• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
TM_newheader_mobile1280x720.jpg

DEVELOPER: Dontnod
Publisher: Dontnod
Genre: Adventure
Release Date: 1st December 2020
Platforms: Xbox One/PS4/Epic Game Store (Steam release: 1 year from now)
Price: £24.99/$28.99/€29.99

FAQ:

Is this episodic?
No, this is a full game. It was originally going to be episodic but with the delays they decided to release a full product.

What is this? An original Mystery Adventure game IP from developer Dontnod, creator of the acclaimed Life is Strange series of games. It features the usual mechanics of adventure games of nowadays including a branching choice system and investigations.

Reviews? None as of yet. This game is flying under the radar apparently.

Physical release? Sadly not (as of yet). The Twin Mirror Twitter account stated when asked "it's up to Namco". So digital only.

Upgraded versions (Xbox Series/PS5) happening? Not been mentioned in press as of yet either. So maybe, maybe not. Again "it's up to Namco" may be the answer.

Multiple Endings? Yes. As confirmed by the writer Matthew Ritter.

Michael Huber? HYPE!

Synopsis:

The award-winning storytellers at DONTNOD invite you on another twisting adventure.
Sam Higgs was done with Basswood, West Virginia, but it seems it wasn't done with him. When the former investigative journalist returns to his hometown to say a final farewell to his best friend, it soon becomes clear that there are more chapters to be written in his troubled history.

Forced to confront his past, Sam finds himself torn between reconnecting with his loved ones and using his unique intellectual abilities to uncover the town's dark secrets. But how do you know who to trust when you're not even sure you can trust yourself?

Lose yourself in a rich, intricate storyline anchored in the gritty reality of small-town America.
As his investigation progresses, Sam will uncover a web of intrigue that winds through Basswood's evocative locations and draws in its colorful residents.

KF_extraordinarymind.jpg

The same deductive reasoning and memory visualization skills that made Sam such an accomplished investigative journalist can help him untangle this mystery.
Reconstruct key events, revisit his past and more to unlock the truth buried deep within his unique mind.

CHOOSE YOUR OWN PATH

Every decision, every interaction, every discovery will influence the direction of Sam's investigation and ultimately determine how much of himself he's willing to sacrifice.
There are no right or wrong answers – just follow your instincts and values to complete your story.

THE MIND PALACE

As a former investigative journalist, Sam Higgs has developed multiple analytical skills represented in the game by the Mind Palace, a place where players will discover multiple aspects of his personality.

Thanks to unique gameplay mechanics serving the narrative, Sam's Mind Palace is a safe space where the protagonist can be his true self without any pressure or judgment. Players will be able to revisit Sam's past and witness his memories during flashback sequences.

Sam's Mind Palace also plays a central part in his quest for the truth. Players will be able to study the environment and gather clues allowing the simulation of multiple scenarios to deduct the course of events or predict the story's key turning points.

Facing dramatic events and the ghosts of his past, Sam is progressively losing control of this haven of peace. He also soon discovers that the Mind Palace doesn't really help him confront his fears or reconnect with his acquaintances. That's when the Double comes into play. This is a character only Sam can see. A representation of himself more emphatic and social. Sam can always rely on this ally to guide him through social interactions and navigate a society that sometimes rejects singularity.

Official Site:

Twin Mirror: Now available on Steam | DONTNOD

Find out all the infos about Twin Mirror, the captivating psychological thriller from studio DONTNOD : release date, video teaser, available versions...

en.bandainamcoent.eu

TWIN MIRROR

The award-winning storytellers at DONTNOD invite you on another twisting adventure. Sam Higgs was done with Basswood, West Virginia, but it seems it wasn’t done with him. When the former investigative journalist returns to his hometown to say a final farewell to his best friend, it soon...

Trailers/Gameplay:

Screenshots:

Twin-Mirror-Interview-05-Townsperson.jpg

twin-mirror-screen-04-ps4-en-04jun18

Twin-Mirror-171.jpg

Special Thanks:

Dontnod for the game & Easy Allies for being awesome.

twin-mirror.jpg

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Shit, this comes out TOMORROW?

Guess I have something to play this week.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game today. It's rather short (5-6 hours) but it seems there are multiple endings. Choices and their outcome feel organic but I did not replay chapters yet to see if they really change major things or just some dialogue.
After finishing the game you can replay chapters with an optional collectible hunting mode which does not save your choices.

I finished the game in one sitting which speaks of the quality. I really enjoyed it although I think the finale came too fast. I was not expecting it.

The game can look really gorgeous especially the lighting is a looker.
On Xbox Series X the game started at 30fps but switched to 60 after a scene. Restarting the game also put that same scene that played at 60 back to 30 until I reached the next one. Really weird.
Also there seem to be no achievements on Xbox for some reason and the game cannot connect to Xbox live. So no cloud saves so far. Probably a bug.
Other than that, the game did run flawless.

If you look for a game between the setting of Twin Peaks (without the mindfuck elements) and a more grounded story like Heavy Rain, look no further.
If I would need to give it a score it would be a solid 8/10

P.S.
Warning if you are sensible to psychological issues being talked about like panic attacks, the game has some scenes that explicitly deal with those things which also made me feel a bit uneasy.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Loaded & ready to go!

I hope we'll get a post mortem of this game because it seems It went through some big changes during development (dropping the episodic structure, for starter).

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Also the first screenshot in the OP is not in the game or at least I did not play that scene. Maybe choices can open up or close down chapters?

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Color me intrigued, though the fact that there's zero visibility is somewhat unfortunate. It's giving me strong Remember Me vibes, and that's actually a good thing.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea this was out so soon, damn. Haven't heard a thing about it recently.

Might check it out. I adored Life is Strange, and I'm always interested in games set in West Virginia.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, Dontnod are usually interesting at least and the vibes and setting are right up my street

My backlog is STACKED though. Imma gonna need a few reviews at least

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I will check back later for reviews and look for a trophy list, but this looks like I might finally be able to give DONTNOD some of my money.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Some more thoughts on the gameplay:
- the investigation stuff is pretty neat but can solved by trial and error - there is no fail state or a different outcome in there
Basically you search for clues and when finished you are going to construct a scene in the mind castle where you choose from different options in different spots until you have the correct answer.

- there is a button for cutscene/dialogue skipping (right on the d-pad) but it never worked for me and the symbol was crossed out when pressing the button. I did not try it often though.

- the "Double" mentioned in the game's description is actually really well done within the game. I liked the interplay in most scenes.

- to make the "right" choices, you really have to reflect on the behavior and personality of the person you are talking to and not simply react to common tropes. For some dialogue choices, I sat there for a minute to really think it through.

IgelRM

Feb 8, 2018
Western Europe
Loaded & ready to go!

I hope we'll get a post mortem of this game because it seems It went through some big changes during development (dropping the episodic structure, for starter).

Yeah, I did a 2018-2020 visual comparison of some shots.

Game - Twin Mirror

Btw some info in OP is incorrect, this title is self-published, Bandai only acts as digital distributor for the console versions. EDIT: See later reply

Last edited:

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Holy crap! Didn't realize this was coming out so soon. I might wait for a couple reviews but it looks great already.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Was kinda hyped, but 5 - 6 hours sounds way too short.
Don't see how you can tell a satisfying story in that timeframe.

Sad to say, but to me everything after Life is strange has so far been pretty average. Ah well, already preordered... We'll see.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Damn, I love a good mystery game but was hoping there'd be some reviews to look through. I'm kinda hit or miss on dontnod's stuff...

is this coming to PC gamepass?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
The atmosphere is really good so far.
Interesting fact: you can see the % of players who made the same choice as you,after you made that choice,in the game menu.Usually you see the result at the end of a chapter/an episode,not ingame.