• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Simple thread premise. I've had TWEWY for DS for a decade now but never played it. The Switch version looks really clean and I heard was a "final mix" of sorts - but have been seeing that the music isn't as good.

What version should I play? Kind of hyped to get into the series after the KH3 secret movie, and the new game.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bummer that there hasn't been a good port of this game. DS is your best bet by far.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
I can't imagine playing TWEWY without two screens. Some of my favourite pins used the microphone too, which I don't think the Switch has?

Gardios

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
If you already have it, might as well stick with the DS version and look up the Switch exclusive story content after you finish it.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
DS is the only way to truly experience TWEWY. The game utilizes everything the DS has available. You'll be using your stylus and the d-pad at the same time, whilst blowing in the microphone lol.

You can watch a youtube vid for the extra stuff that's included in Final Mix.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, I was literally gonna start this last night on my 3DS but the touchscreen is totally warped

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even from just a graphics perspective I greatly prefer the spritework of the original.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I loved how it looked on the Switch, but it was a nightmare to control. I remember playing that and Sushi strikers back to back and being so angry at how two great games were butchered with bad controls.
Stick to DS.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
DS is superior. There's a unity of theme and gameplay directly related to the two screens, and it loses a lot in the conversion to a single screen. Don't play the other versions.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you're ok with playing games on the DS, get that version for sure. after you're done just youtube the extra content from the final remix version.

the game was built specifically for the DS in a way few games are made for their hardware.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Simple thread premise. I've had TWEWY for DS for a decade now but never played it. The Switch version looks really clean and I heard was a "final mix" of sorts - but have been seeing that the music isn't as good.

What version should I play? Kind of hyped to get into the series after the KH3 secret movie, and the new game.

DS, although since you bring up visuals I've gotta ask if you have a DS or only a 3DS? The visuals on 3DS are blurry whereas they're sharp and gorgeous on DS. However, either way has the optimal playstyle, for both ease of control and thematic reasons.

OP
OP
Kamek

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like DS is is. Thanks guys. I'm such a stickler for Nomura and his final mixes and wouldn't want to miss out on any new content. The graphics also look so clean on switch. But I love playing on og hardware so DS it is

OP
OP
Kamek

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
DS, although since you bring up visuals I've gotta ask if you have a DS or only a 3DS? The visuals on 3DS are blurry whereas they're sharp and gorgeous on DS. However, either way has the optimal playstyle, for both ease of control and thematic reasons.

I actually have both DS phat and 3ds but was going to play it on 3ds. Looks like the og ds is better.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Happy to see this thread because I was wondering the same thing. I guess I'll dig out my 3ds and try to find my TWEWY cart, assuming I still have it. Otherwise I guess I'll be buying a new one. That new Switch game got me hyped!

DPB

Nov 1, 2017

You can get rid of the blurriness playing DS games on a 3DS by switching to pixel-perfect mode, so that it doesn't scale to fill the screen - hold select or start when starting a game. This works with Virtual Console games too.

I'd only recommend trying this with an XL model though, you need the bigger screen to compensate for the lower resolution and postage stamp-sized image.

cbajd5

Oct 25, 2017
The game was made for the DS so it plays best on it gameplay wise, but the Switch version has an extra scenario that'll probably be relevant to the plot of the second game. It also simplifies some of the mechanics of the game (the DS had some proto-streetpass like elements for pin growth that were simplified in the other versions) and has a lot more music than the DS version (a remix soundtrack that you can select in addition to the original and a lot of songs that were made after the original DS release, although a couple were replaced due to licensing) so I'm not sure who told you the music wasn't as good since there's only a few missing songs a lot more that are just as good or better.

The Switch version plays like the mobile version in handheld mode (touchscreen only) and in docked mode uses a gyro pointer to play pretty much the same way, the only difference being the co-op mode you can play to have a partner control the partner character most of the time with their own preset set of pins. Playing the co-op mode by yourself is a neat way to replay the game once you get used to it, but it's kinda frustrating at times too compared to the other ways to play the game because it's hard to keep track of two pointers at once in the middle of combat.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am replaying it on switch right now and do not recommend it. Go for DS all the way.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I could've bought the game on DS, but I looked it up and it's like $40USD! Not the biggest deal, but I remembered I got the iOS version years ago for $5 on sale. Installed that (I have an 11 Pro Max, so it runs perfectly and doesn't drain much battery) and I'm having a blast with it. I even got a stylus pen to play it with LOL

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
It's made to be a DS game, probably more so than any other game on that system. All other versions had to make massive compromises. Definitely play the DS one if at all possible.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Damn... I just bought the Switch port... It's really that bad if you have never played the DS one?

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Damn... I just bought the Switch port... It's really that bad if you have never played the DS one?
No. People overstate how much better the DS version is. As a matter of fact, Final Remix is by far the superior version in almost every aspect, just so happens that the combat itself is really butchered when compared to the original, and that's a big deal. But seriously, if you are in for the music, for example, no reason not to go Final Remix. People in this thread should really stress this point.

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
I played the DS version twice and I'm halfway through the Switch version.

Either is fine imho, but make sure you get a stylus. Not one of those rubber ones tho. Get one that either has the transparent plastic circle on the tip, or one that's like the rubber one, but made out of textil mesh. You'll have a great time using those. You can get both for extremely cheap from AliExpress and the likes.

What you are really missing out on is the top screen bit, which is great, but I personally prefer the higher resolution art (even if part of it are upscales) and the higher quality music.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So if the Switch version of 1 is nowhere near as good, how is the sequel going to pick up on the gameplay of the first? It looks like an action RPG now, does it include the same kind of gameplay as 1?

(Like OP, I haven't played the first game yet and was wondering which version is better).

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
You can get rid of the blurriness playing DS games on a 3DS by switching to pixel-perfect mode, so that it doesn't scale to fill the screen - hold select or start when starting a game. This works with Virtual Console games too.

I'd only recommend trying this with an XL model though, you need the bigger screen to compensate for the lower resolution and postage stamp-sized image.

I know about that. It's still compromised by its 800x200 pixel screen that creates a blue in the top screen. You can't make out individual pixels, you just see lines. This is in pixel-perfect mode and upscaled. You can see the difference well if you have a 3DS game and turn on the 3D slider with the slider at the bare minimum. You'll suddenly get a sharper image and see individual pixels. For me, it bothers me to no end, and the black bars in pixel-perfect don't help. I got a DSi XL in 2018 and haven't gone back as every DSi XL has a large pixel-perfect screen with dual IPS screens. It doesn't play GBA games, but as far as DS goes it's the definitive way to play, personally.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
If you haven't played the DS one you won't notice a lot of the ways it's worse, but the combat will still stand out because it's rough regardless of whether it's compared to anything else or not.
Particularly if you want to play docked. But yeah, it's not just that the gameplay is worse, it's that the controls are finnicky. Although as I said before, I think Final Remix is still better in every other aspect so it's a toss up, really.
So if the Switch version of 1 is nowhere near as good, how is the sequel going to pick up on the gameplay of the first? It looks like an action RPG now, does it include the same kind of gameplay as 1?

(Like OP, I haven't played the first game yet and was wondering which version is better).
It's a completely new battle system, so it should be fine. There are some thematic similarities and the characters seem to still be using pins, but we don't know much for now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean people are right the DS version is better but if you don't have access to it the Switch version is totally fine. I replayed the game on Switch and enjoyed it. If you're playing it handheld it's a good port. If you only play docked then yeah it's borderline unplayable I guess.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I mean people are right the DS version is better but if you don't have access to it the Switch version is totally fine. I replayed the game on Switch and enjoyed it. If you're playing it handheld it's a good port. If you only play docked then yeah it's borderline unplayable I guess.
I played it docked and i would not say it's unplayable but definitely pretty frustrating at times. Granted, I played it with my partner on co-op, so maybe that's what made it better.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I think TWEWY is the only game I ever did more than 200 hours on (maybe apart from DJMax games if you count them together), I have it on iOS and Switch and spoiler alert, DS is by far the best. I was really disappointed that Switch version is essentially an iOS game, I wish they put more effort into it. I don't think the touchscreen gameplay only is all that gripping on its own.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
If you already have the DS version go for it. I've only played the Switch version myself and had a fantastic time with it, easily one of my favourites of all time. If the DS is better as everyone says, definitely go with it.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I own the game on both ds and Switch and have beaten it several times on ds but never on Switch. Control-wise, ds is the clear winner. It still looks beautiful too in pixel perfect mode on the 3ds XL or just on an actual ds.

BUT, the HD visuals, enhanced audio, larger screen, and new content make Final Remix a pretty good way to experience TWEWY too. I bought Final Remix when it first came out and completely bounced off of it. But now with a stylus, the Switch Lite, and touch sensitivity set to stylus mode, I'm finding Final Remix to be quite playable and enjoyable.

If you are playing for the first time, the ds original is the way to go. But for a revisit, Final Remix on Switch Lite with a stylus and stylus touch sensitivity mode is pretty sweet too. I'm so glad people are revisiting TWEWY. One of the GOATs.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
switch version is fine as someone who played both, its really overstated how bad it is, its not that bad at all and I played docked coop with my wife, though I thought the original combat was still clunky as fuck on ds too. So 1 version is a bit chunkier then the other, everything else about the switch version is superior.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
DS version, always, especially since you already have it. The combat was made for the DS specifically and a lot is lost without that. Many of the boss fights made really clever use of the two screens and that element is lost in the Switch and mobile versions. There's also some story elements that used the two screens and don't make as much sense in the mobile and Switch versions. There's also some minor things in my opinion such as music being changed on certain boss fights really makes it lose the impact.

I will say the mobile and Switch versions do have their upsides, such as the audio quality being better and having longer music loops, the visuals look very sharp. These are still not worth the trade off of all that is lost.

The combat on the DS version is challenging, but it gives you lots of options to ease yourself into it. You can have a delayed or instant AI takeover for the top screen until you get better at it. It's a great combat system and once it clicks you'll see why people love it so much.

The "A New Day" content in Final Remix does set up events in NEO: TWEWY (some of which even show up in the trailer). I would just watch the "A New Day" content on YouTube after playing the DS version though.

New combat system that's built for traditional controllers (Switch/PS4)

OP
OP
Kamek

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
A bit of a necro bump - but I went in completely spoiler free and was 100% blown away. The soundtrack, the artsyle, the visuals - no game's "vibe" has captured what Street Fighter 3rd Strike had for me until I played this one. Something about it was so authentic. The content and ideas discussed reminded me so much of Metal Gear. I love the things it posed, questions it asked. I was seriously awed and will definitely get the sequel day 1.

What an amazing experience. I'd put it in my top 10 Square experiences - they never fucking miss for me.

DS was so much fun. First time I broke out the old DS in ages. I can't even imagine how this game would play otherwise. I don't even know how they programmed it to be so intuitive with this many pins and gestures. What a fantastic, fantastic game.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
DS version is the best way to experience TWEWY. Then just watch the extra story stuff from Final Remix on YouTube.