• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
The game is literally crippled by the Hollywood star cast.
The twist(s) it's trying to o pull off require really strong and intimate connection with the characters, yet the game didn't spend nearly enough time to properly establish it because of (i assume) budgetary reasons.
It's literally just: introduction -> 2 loops of exposition dump -> ending. I felt fucking nothing at the end. Should've hire cheaper actors or go full text-based.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Take a look at Chick3n's #314 post above. He summarizes it well.

Only using 3 voice actors was a mistake or I'm a huge idiot.

You find out you're sleeping with your half sister and your character freaks out. The scene changes and Willem Dafoe is interrogating you and talks about you sleeping with his daughter.

So your wife is Bumblebee? You're his son? His plan was to tie up and kill his own daughter to get money for his daughters cancer treatment? What?

Obviously not. It's a different character. Just the voice and top down perspective left me ridiculously confused about what was happening.

My read, based on the credits giving Willem Dafoe only one credit as "Father" is that both Father and Husband had their memories wiped.

Then 8 years later, father comes looking for the watch, thinking he was a friend of father. He has forgotten himself, just like Husband. Wife believes she murdered her father so she wouldn't know he was alive anyways.

I don't know why wife would be Bumblebee. 8 years have passed. They are two different characters with two different VAs. Interestingly they didn't get Daisy Ridley to do that voice . There's no reason I can see to think Willem Dafoe is two characters. Again, open to being corrected by the text, but that's my read after one playthrough.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
The game is literally crippled by the Hollywood star cast.
The twist(s) it's trying to o pull off require really strong and intimate connection with the characters, yet the game didn't spend nearly enough time to properly establish it because of (i assume) budgetary reasons.
It's literally just: introduction -> 2 loops of exposition dump -> ending. I felt fucking nothing at the end. Should've hire cheaper actors or go full text-based.
I have to agree. There is so little to the characters and you learn basically nothing about their relationship that the twist has to work on concept alone and I don't think it does. Unfortunately not a fan of it overall.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
.... That was unfortunately really dumb imo, or at least really didn't work for me.

Up until the *twist*, I liked it well enough, but I'm a sucker for time loops. Ending kind of leaves a meh impression for something I've been looking forward to for a while. Shame.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good god the animation is janky as hell and I don't like the writing at all

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
2 hours in, I give up for today, just can't progress. I tried several things and got a bit further like knocking the cop out with the lightswitch after the wife goes to sleep with sleeping pills, then talking with him and looking into his phone but nothing really helps me to get further.
I also have no idea what the second item is to proof the time loop to her and also I don't know where the hell the watch is.

Frustrating.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
I am fascinated to see people not finding the watch after a healthy amount of time. Not shaming or anything, just interesting to me what some people find early in this game vs. what others find early in it.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I am fascinated to see people not finding the watch after a healthy amount of time. Not shaming or anything, just interesting to me what some people find early in this game vs. what others find early in it.
I didn't find it myself, but I was literally told where it was within the first hour.

2 hours in, I give up for today, just can't progress. I tried several things and got a bit further like knocking the cop out with the lightswitch after the wife goes to sleep with sleeping pills, then talking with him and looking into his phone but nothing really helps me to get further.
I also have no idea what the second item is to proof the time loop to her and also I don't know where the hell the watch is.

Frustrating.

Not sure if you are asking for help but iirc:

Stab the cop while he's tied up and he'll talk to you a lot more. Then look at the photo on the fridge. Once you have context from the cop, that's the second item you need.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I just resorted to a walkthrough
to get the watch
. I just wasn't getting there and getting frustrated was not worth it.

the game is really ambitious, no doubt about it but the mechanics of solving the puzzles really are just traditional point and click stuff which I don't love.

I feel like Outer Wilds used the computer and the fact that you couldn't really interact with anything to help make that experience less frustrating (even if I still had to search a couple of things).

Regardless, I will finish this even if I have to use a walkthrough from time to time.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

All I know so far is "It's in the - ".
And of course I thought it's in the vent and you can even put a light in there but that does nothing. So no clue.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Anyone else feels like none of the characters sound like the actors?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
eh. it started out good. but then some small things that make you repeat the same steps without anything interesting happening just to get a certain trigger to occur got annoying.

for example showing the cop the picture on the fridge. i made sure to take it down so i could hand it to him after calling his daughter. nope you had to leave it on the fridge so that he could walk over there and see it himself.

then the end was uh...kinda plain?

oh okay an incest story line...shocking

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So I have to wipe my save to go for other endings? There's no way out of

the empty apartment without wiping my whole save and starting again? Are they joking?

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
eh. it started out good. but then some small things that make you repeat the same steps without anything interesting happening just to get a certain trigger to occur got annoying.

for example showing the cop the picture on the fridge. i made sure to take it down so i could hand it to him after calling his daughter. nope you had to leave it on the fridge so that he could walk over there and see it himself.

then the end was uh...kinda plain?

oh okay an incest story line...shocking
Ha, the exact same thing happened to me with the picture. I thought he would just kill her if I didn't have it on me to give it to him. They really should have made that an option, it's kind of silly.

Jun 29, 2020
I thought this was fine but I was hoping that it would use the three rooms in a deeper way. The narrative certainly has some pretty bold twists that I thought were decent but the entire experience never blew me away even if I think it's a really neat concept at its core. But there were flashes of brilliance, like it felt really exciting the first time I thought to
hide in the closet and watch how the scene unfolds if the wife thinks you're not home yet.
Moments like that make it seem like there's tons of potential here even if I left slightly disappointed. Like I found it odd that certain things you could interact with never came into play at all. For example I discovered early on that you flush things down the toilet which I was sure would be an important mechanic later but it wasn't. I also realized you could put the watch in any of the three vents which I was sure would be relevant but it wasn't at all. I also assumed that looking at the paintings surely would become relevant to something but it never was.

There also are a few ways to progress that felt a little too trial and error, especially when it takes a while to re-loop (for example, I had to do the light switch cop knockout trick several loops to get everything I needed and it started to get exhausting repeating all the steps every single time to get the set-up right.) That said, there was a lot of clever progressions that I was satisfied to solve on my own (the use of sleeping pills comes to mind). It's a cool idea but it just feels like it needed more stuff to do and a clearer sense of logic in its progression. The voice acting was strangely kinda flat too even though all three are good actors (Dafoe was probably the best here), I'm gonna guess the director probably doesn't have tons of experience working with good actors.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
So is the only way to progress to
knock the guy out with the switch? I'm trying to show him the photo with the wife with me in the room and he kills me every time. Starting to piss me off.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
So is the only way to progress to
knock the guy out with the switch? I'm trying to show him the photo with the wife with me in the room and he kills me every time. Starting to piss me off.

You need to get the phone number from his phone and call it before he comes into the appartment. You also need to talk to your wife about the photo.

BaileyBLM

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Pretty sure i'm gonna have to start over cause i'm confident even after looking at guides that I've done everything correctly and it's still not letting me progress. And not sure at this point if it's worth starting over.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
just started this, so no real impressions.
but pretty crazy, that they just tried to map a point and click control mechanism, one to one to gamepad.
like you are moving the cursor with analog to do things. even old adventure games add some qol changes when ported to consoles.
thats an instant turn off i can say.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I've done a handful of loops now. I'm starting to figure out some possible avenues of how to handle the situation.

So I got Dafoe to tell me he's here for a pocket watch at least, but thats all I've learned about him. The most success I've had is slipping the sleeping pills in the wife's drink and having her head to sleep. I tried to call 911 and hide it out afterwards but I got caught.

I haven't been able to convince the wife I'm in a loop. The most obvious things to point to are the cop coming and the radio playing their song but she wasn't buying it. My biggest assumption is that I have to use the faulty lightswitch to knock the cop out? There's multiple endings judging by the achievements but it's a bit of a challenge to figure out what you have to do to trigger what.

It's neat so far though. Even if I don't feel like I'm close to figuring anything out yet.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I've done a handful of loops now. I'm starting to figure out some possible avenues of how to handle the situation.

So I got Dafoe to tell me he's here for a pocket watch at least, but thats all I've learned about him. The most success I've had is slipping the sleeping pills in the wife's drink and having her head to sleep. I tried to call 911 and hide it out afterwards but I got caught.

I haven't been able to convince the wife I'm in a loop. The most obvious things to point to are the cop coming and the radio playing their song but she wasn't buying it. My biggest assumption is that I have to use the faulty lightswitch to knock the cop out? There's multiple endings judging by the achievements but it's a bit of a challenge to figure out what you have to do to trigger what.

It's neat so far though. Even if I don't feel like I'm close to figuring anything out yet.
This is exactly where I'm at. I think I've done 5 or 6 lips loops knowing this and I'm starting to get frustrated.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, i think this game is pretty cool mechanically, especially in the beginning when it feels like a condensed Hitman,

But HOLY SHIT the writing is so bad!! Every about it is so stock and basic. The twists are SO poorly handled. Really feels like they jad a cool idea for a game and just fit the story around the mechanics, actual good story and characters be damned

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

i thought the same thing with the radio / cop etc. but the answer turns out to be a bit more picture, more obvious in hind sight and kinda misleading in terms of what the game is presenting to you at first

Linkinito

Oct 28, 2017
France
Ok so I've been on it for 6 hours and I really don't see where I can go now. Repeating the same actions at the beginning is really tedious - and the narrative starts to show some blatant flaws, like:
- Dafoe showing up after only 2 minutes when I get Daisy angry or panicked when he's supposed to show up after 4:30 (probably the biggest one yet)
- I can't calm down Daisy after proving her I'm in a time loop as I know what happened, despite she telling me that she will not open the door, she still opens it anyway even though Dafoe shows up "as expected"
- Dafoe doesn't give a flying fuck when he sees Daisy dead (from electrocution) and the watch left on the table in plain sight, but still searches for me anyway, then takes the watch, and strangles me

I still can't know how people finished it in like 2 to 3 hours.

The farther I've went was this:
- Prepare dessert, put sleeping pills in Daisy's drink (she gets the first shock from the switch and turns the lights off by herself)
- Let her sleep, hide in the closet until Dafoe arrives
- Dafoe sees Daisy sleeping, lights up the switch and gets electrocuted
- Took everything from him, shot him in the foot, told me lots of stuff including the fact that Daisy came back to shoot her father again
- Then he dies no matter what I do and time runs out, loop restarts.
- Can't figure out a way to prove that Daisy did or didn't shoot her father a second time, nothing in the apartment seems to fit. Tried the picture on the fridge, nothing.

The main problem is redoing the same beginning over and over again, I've tried multiple routes but it starts becoming baffling. What I thought were obvious or clever solutions were actually complete dead ends because "reasons". Like "I know he shows up at this time, if Daisy gets angry early she could get away with this", but nope. Dafoe shows earlier than expected which breaks the entire narrative. No way to tell her "USE THE DAMN STAIRS". I don't know if it's explained later but to be honest I'm tired of running into dead ends.

Last edited:

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
This game is really pissing me off now. One bad move and instant fail, then watch the same thing over and over.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So I think I'm just going to play this through with the IGN full walkthrough next week lol. The amount of 'I'm stuck' posts in a row here is kind of astounding

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
So I have to wipe my save to go for other endings? There's no way out of

the empty apartment without wiping my whole save and starting again? Are they joking?

No there is a way to get back in the loop, you just have to go get the watch out of the vent, and manipulate the watch to a specific time. The ending you can't get out of and hard ends the game is the Continue ending.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Took me 5h20min to finish it. I really liked it! I don't have too much trouble if I fail a loop and have to repeat since you can get back to the same state pretty quick.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Ok, finally got the Alone ending.

Once again, super cool mechanic (and felt like a genius figuring out that final part) but holy shit, writing/story implications are sooooo stupid

Nov 1, 2017
I really enjoyed the mechanics but found certain plot revelations and character shifts so silly that I had trouble engaging with it.

I'm not someone who generally plays games as evil (you could offer me $5000 to do it and I'm still not shooting Mordin in the back), but there I came a point where I became an absolute monster.

Surely the best night was stabbing Daisy Ridley with the kitchen knife after she surprised me with good news, then shocking Willem Dafoe in the bedroom and blowing his brains out with his own gun. Finally, I walked back into the living room and finished dessert trying not to get Daisy's blood on my shoes.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there a way you can figure out the guys phone number before he gets to the apartment?

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I really enjoyed the mechanics but found certain plot revelations and character shifts so silly that I had trouble engaging with it.

I'm not someone who generally plays games as evil (you could offer me $5000 to do it and I'm still not shooting Mordin in the back), but there I came a point where I became an absolute monster.

Surely the best night was stabbing Daisy Ridley with the kitchen knife after she surprised me with good news, then shocking Willem Dafoe in the bedroom and blowing his brains out with his own gun. Finally, I walked back into the living room and finished dessert trying not to get Daisy's blood on my shoes.

Yeah that spoilee I think was the peak for me. A real unnerving moment, unlike any of the choreographed twists the game tries to throw at you.

Ok. I beat it in 3hs. Honestly unsure how people are spending longer.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017

Haha yes, this is sort of what I was touching on where you can have some truly dark runs that are not like "canon" in any way, but it's a weird playground in how you can move the pieces around to create these other genres of movie within the game. Like, you can tell your wife you're a monster then just go take a nap. Also some of the death animations get crazier once you've gone through them some amount of times, so your initial punch in the face at the hands of the cop later turns into a mini action movie sequence as you both throw fists and he has to resort to other means to take you down.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah that spoilee I think was the peak for me. A real unnerving moment, unlike any of the choreographed twists the game tries to throw at you.

Ok. I beat it in 3hs. Honestly unsure how people are spending longer.
Three hours is fast with no help I think. I didn't get too stuck ever, but still 5-6 hours feels like the "short" end of things people will come in around if they mostly breeze through it. You must have just nailed all the puzzles and not been sidetracked looking for other non-ending endings and such, which is fine.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
just started this, so no real impressions.
but pretty crazy, that they just tried to map a point and click control mechanism, one to one to gamepad.
like you are moving the cursor with analog to do things. even old adventure games add some qol changes when ported to consoles.
thats an instant turn off i can say.
Exactly my first thought. Turn the sensitivity down, that helps a lot

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'm incredibly frustrated. I got really far one time, it seems by accident, but now I can't make that fucking same thing happen again? I'm pretty sure I was really close to the end but I cannot for the life of me make it repeat what I did that one time.

EDIT: WAIT... I think I figured out how to make it happen again... huh. How about that. Just needed to bitch online.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Ok, got the final final ending. That is cosmically stupid holy shit.

What a waste of a story

Last edited:

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game is too obtuse.

I know where the watch is. When I look there, it's not there, and I can't tell the wife I know where it is.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Game is too obtuse.

I know where the watch is. When I look there, it's not there, and I can't tell the wife I know where it is.
Light: It is absolutely there. And after grabbing it you can tell her you know about where it is in future loops. You are probably not looking in the right spot. Find a way to listen to her describe where it is again.

Explicit: She says it's in a vent under the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. It's at the bottom of the screen when looking at the cabinet and you just need to use something to open it and it's in there. After taking it (and possibly some later stuff) you can just say "Hey I know there's a watch down in there and such and such" in future runs.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
i like the setting, the puzzle, the time loops and how you use the information you learn to unlock new stuff. that being said the story is pretty bad imo and this game iis all about the story.