• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What TV do you have?

• OLED

Votes: 503 72.6%
  • QLED

Votes: 83 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 107 15.4%

• Total voters

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Yeah I like the app compatibility of android TV (steamlink!) but lord is it slow and unintuitive.

What's weird is Sony only has HDMI 2.1 with VRR on one model (none of their OLEDs) and it's the 900H

Yeah, honestly it's just awesome to have VLC, QiYi, Netflix, etc right there to use. But I suspect LG is close if not on par these days.

Sony also upgraded old soundbars to eARC but not the TVs. And took like 6 more months for the APAC Oreo update. Basically their TV software track record is...questionable.

There's no screen (whether TV or monitor) that has it all right?

The low input lag and response time of LG's 27GL850 + 144hz, 4K, HDR at high nits, OLED and Gsync hardware module.

It feels like you have to sacrifice one thing for another when choosing a screen.

There are several gaming TVs now, like the HP Omen which are 65" OLEDs with G-Sync and 144hz. But they are all big OLEDs.

LG does have a ~42" CX coming with Freesync and high refresh though, I think?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

The low input lag and response time of LG's 27GL850 + 144hz, 4K, HDR at high nits, OLED and Gsync hardware module.

It feels like you have to sacrifice one thing for another when choosing a screen.
Do you need hardware Gsync when Gsync works via software now and over Freesync protocols? Not to mention just regular ass VRR over 2.1?

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
How long until 75" OLED's are reasonably priced? At the moment it's a choice between the best image vs bigger size. I went with bigger and cheaper (75" X9000F) and I'm happy with that trade off for now.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

Unless the above exists and it's the ridiculously priced £3000 and £4000 screens?

The C series LG OLED have insanely good response time, HDMI 2.1 with VRR, freesync and gsync over software

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Do you need hardware Gsync when Gsync works via software now and over Freesync protocols? Not to mention just regular ass VRR over 2.1?
Fair enough, I assumed hardware module means its better but I admit I'm not fully versed on all these technologies.

The C series LG OLED have insanely good response time, HDMI 2.1 with VRR, freesync and gsync over software
There are several gaming TVs now, like the HP Omen which are 65" OLEDs with G-Sync and 144hz. But they are all big OLEDs.

LG does have a ~42" CX coming with Freesync and high refresh though, I think?
Yes this or its future iterations is my current "next TV".

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Fair enough, I assumed hardware module means its better but I admit I'm not fully versed on all these technologies.

The only real downside for OLEDs is that they don't have the higher peak brightness of LCD FLAD models but that may or may not even be an issue depending on the room it's in.

Also, burn in is still a possibility but if you take care of the tower and power it off properly, you'll probably never get it in its typical lifetime.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
The only real downside for OLEDs is that they don't have the higher peak brightness of LCD FLAD models but that may or may not even be an issue depending on the room it's in.

Also, burn in is still a possibility but if you take care of the tower and power it off properly, you'll probably never get it in its typical lifetime.
Black Levels > Nits for me all day (haha!) long.

If outdoor brightness was affecting viewing I would invest in pitch black blinds.

It's the unfortunate life of a obsessive tech geek that I get annoyed everytime I notice the poor black levels on my monitor and my TV.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

If outdoor brightness was affecting viewing I would invest in pitch black blinds.

It's the unfortunate life of a obsessive tech geek that I get annoyed everytime I notice the poor black levels on my monitor and my TV.

Oh yeah. Like I love my FALD tv but when it's night time and it's a major contrast scene, the bloom is still painfully noticeable

Oct 30, 2017
QLED is just such a brazenly embarrassing marketing term that it should be shunned for that alone. yes, even if you usually watch TV in a glass conservatory on sunny days.

i would take a three-year-old LG OLED over a brand new samsung "QLED" even if the samsung was cheaper.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

At one point, hardware Gsync may have been better, but that ship has long sailed. No one wants to be tied down by some proprietary shit. That's why Gsync moved to software, and VRR over HDMI is making it irrelevant.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

OLEDs still don't stack up in motion resolution though either, and while minimal, still has potential burn in. So those are some other downsides.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
At one point, hardware Gsync may have been better, but that ship has long sailed. No one wants to be tied down by some proprietary shit. That's why Gsync moved to software, and VRR over HDMI is making it irrelevant.
Agreed, the quicker the death of properitory bullshit across tech, the better. It seems like such an antiquated concept one associates with the 90s.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Enjoy your oled burn in! I'm Q here. Just got a new TCL p625. 499, can't pass that up!
Almost 3000 hours on my LG B8 with lots of gaming and not even the slightest hint of burn in so 🤷‍♂️

the burn in issue is seriously overhyped unless you are playing thousands of hours of the same game with the same bright static hud elements. If you are a more "normie" gamer and spend maybe 100 hours at most on any one game you don't have to think about it even slightly.

I'll never go back to LCD after experiencing OLED. The color accuracy after calibration and the gorgeous contrast ratio are impossible to go back from.

maybe MicroLED when that becomes affordable. Won't be needing a new TV for quite some time though.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I have owned both Oled (B7) and a Qled (Q9Fn). I think Qled gets more hate than it deserves in this thread. Sure, Oled probably has better peak IQ, but the Qled has a few perks, some already mentioned in this thread. High brightness capabilities which for me was a major letdown with the oled. I like that you get almost blinded by sharp lights on the Qled. The picture quality is very good, low input lag and the black levels are also very good. Obviously not better than Oled considering the tech, but it's pretty damn black. Combined with never having to worry about burn in I think Qleds definitely isn't just some marketing bullshit. They are great tv's! The one thing I miss is the hdmi 2.1 capabilites though. That remains a good selling point for Oleds for gaming use.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Almost 3000 hours on my LG B8 with lots of gaming and not even the slightest hint of burn in so 🤷‍♂️

the burn in issue is seriously overhyped unless you are playing thousands of hours of the same game with the same bright static hud elements. If you are a more "normie" gamer and spend maybe 100 hours at most on any one game you don't have to think about it even slightly.

I'll never go back to LCD after experiencing OLED. The color accuracy after calibration and the gorgeous contrast ratio are impossible to go back from.

maybe MicroLED when that becomes affordable. Won't be needing a new TV for quite some time though.
What about 300 hours tho? Since me and my brother both use the same TV.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
What about 300 hours tho? Since me and my brother both use the same TV.
I'm not really sure. What games are you thinking? The main problem causer that I've heard is Destiny 2 when people have like a 1000 hours in the game and the bright yellow bar causes some burn.

I don't play GAAS games so it's really just not a worry for me.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I have an OLED and i regret it

Sure the black levels are amazing, so are the colors... but you just can't escape the burn-in, especially when you play long games with hud elements that are constantly there

and i'm used to use my computer on my TV too, and this will do lots of burn-in if you're not careful... even worse if you end up falling asleep or forgot to turn it off... my tv turns off automatically only after 2 hours and i can't go lower... and it's enough to get burn in really quickly, that won't go away even with pixel refresh... like now i have the youtube logo burned in the upper left of my screen

Sure it's all your own fault in the end, but it's just too much of a hassle! My TV is already ruined... it doesn't prevent my enjoyement and enjoying great imagery, but some parts of my TV are now ruined forever and the colors won't be the same on these parts

Last edited:

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
For all the pros of OLED, burn in potential still scares me. I come from a Plasma background so yeah idk. QLED at least guarantees I won't have that issue. I'm just waiting for more sets with HDMI 2.1 so I can be ready for the PS5. And I'm not spending over a 1000 for a TV.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
It's not the only one; OLED has lower peak brightness too and in the scope of things worse motion resolution than plasma.
Plasma is not an option anymore. There's no point bringing it up in a debate about Oled vs Led .

Peak brightness sure if your TV is sitting out in the porch by the pool. Other then that, there's no advantage to led beside lower burn-in risk.

Edit: I had burn in too with my Oled and switched to led (Sony's 905e). I'm pretty satisfied and wouldn't go back to Oled because I never wanna see the Fifa logo etched forever on my screen again. But there's no denying I don't have the same image quality I once had.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I have an oled and an led. Both lg from the same year. Oled definitely looks better but I quickly showed signs of burn so I can never recommend that until that it completely fix.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Isn't burn in a real problem with OLEDs, especially when playing video games that have a constant HUD?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The nearly unanimous dismissal of quantum dot filtering is amusing.

What will people be saying when Samsung releases its line of QD-OLED panels, that take the perfect blacks, but make them cheaper to manufacture and brighter than traditional OLED screens because they only need to produce a panel of only blue OLED pixels, and use quantum dot light filtering creating accurate colors?

Samsung is building a factory for this, projecting their first 30,000 panels in 2021, with production to be expanded by 2025.

삼성디스플레이, 세계 최초 'QD'에 13.1조 투자

삼성디스플레이(대표이사 이동훈)가 차세대 프리미엄 TV 시장의 기술 리더십을 강화하기 위해 세계 최초로 'QD(퀀텀닷, 양자점 물질)디스플레이' 투자에 나선다.삼성디스플레이는 10일 충남 아산캠퍼스에서 '신규 투자 및 상생협력 협약식'을 갖고 2025년까지 'QD디스플레이' 생산시설 구축 및 연구개발에 대한 총 13.1조원 규모의 투자 계획을 발표했다.삼성디스플레이는 이번 투자를 통해 대형 디스플레이 기술의 방향을 기존 LCD에서 'QD디스플레이'로 전환하고, 'QD'를 기반으로 대형 디스플레이 산업의 새로운 전성기를 열어갈...

www.cnet.com

Samsung's QD-OLED TV might be here very soon. Here's everything we know

Samsung's rumored OLED TV with quantum dots could be coming as soon as 2022, and the new technology is set to challenge the best from rival LG.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Isn't burn in a real problem with OLEDs, especially when playing video games that have a constant HUD?

Had a OLED for years and not seen anything. You can get it I believe, but the only time I see anything is a temporary burn. For instance, the loading screen on AC odyssey has a burning lamp and on my previous tv you could see its rough image after the game loads for a couple seconds.

Recently got a newer OLED and it's not affected by that same problem.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a 82in Q60 last week. I was interested in the OLED but I really wanted the screen size.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

Once you go OLED you can't go back. When black aren't black I can't take it anymore.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have a really hard time ever going back to non-emissive. The infinite contrast makes the picture so much more real

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I want nothing more right now than to upgrade to an OLED, but my PC's taskbar is sometimes there for hours at a time on the display. Every time I see one in action I am impressed, but for the time being I'll have to pass up on it.

You know you can simply have the taskbar hide itself while not being used right? My modern gaming PC is hooked up to my TV, and I use it for gaming, movies, Youtube and the occasional forum browsing. The only thing I have on the desktop is the recycle bin and another folder, and I just move those icons to a different position every few weeks. I don't play games on it that have extremely busy, persistent UIs, but beyond that everything else is fair game.

The infinite contrast makes the picture so much more real

I still have no idea what this is supposed to mean. To have infinite contrast it would need to not only be able to shut off each pixel to go completely black, you would also need each pixel to be able to go in the opposite direction in terms of brightness. Even a hypothetical 4000 nit OLED doesn't have infinite contrast.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
You know you can simply have the taskbar hide itself while not being used right? My modern gaming PC is hooked up to my TV, and I use it for gaming, movies, Youtube and the occasional forum browsing. The only thing I have on the desktop is the recycle bin and another folder, and I just move those icons to a different position every few weeks. I don't play games on it that have extremely busy, persistent UIs, but beyond that everything else is fair game.

I still have no idea what this is supposed to mean. To have infinite contrast it would need to not only be able to shut off each pixel to go completely black, you would also need each pixel to be able to go in the opposite direction in terms of brightness. Even a hypothetical 4000 nit OLED doesn't have infinite contrast.

Its just a stupid marketing term to be honest, but another way of saying it can turn pixels off. I'm with you.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I like the app compatibility of android TV (steamlink!) but lord is it slow and unintuitive.

What's weird is Sony only has HDMI 2.1 with VRR on one model (none of their OLEDs) and it's the 900H

Off topic, but it'll be interesting to see how Sony handles 2.1 moving forward since a bunch of their televisions from previous years (and one would assume this year) have the hardware for it. All that's needed is a firmware update and they're good to go. A user at AVS flashed custom firmware to his 950G to prove it. Sony, of course, went nuclear and is ordering the removal of such posts everywhere from AVS to Twitter. So they may either be planning their own update in the future or they're just being dicks for no reason. (wouldn't be shocking). If Sony doesn't put out their own firmware update, the community will handle the rest.

All of the following are capable of HDMI 2.1:
  • X950G
  • A8G
  • A9G
  • A8F
  • A9F
  • Z9F

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017

Either way it's dividing by 0. I guess "infinite contrast" sounds better than "undefined contrast."

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I just hear way too many stories of OLED burn in. The picture quality is amazing, but I couldn't bring myself to spend thousands on a OLED panel with a realistic chance of permanent burn in.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Bought a C9 OLED recently. I can't begin to tell you how impressive the picture is. Contrast and black levels are on another level. Along with the fact that LG TV's are pretty much unbeatable for gaming, it was worth every penny.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So I got the C8 in 2018 and my bedroom TV is so unwatchable I'm going to upgrade to a 65 inch CX to move the C8 into my bedroom. It's just so hard to go back to greyish blacks.

For movies, TV shows and games that are very atmospheric, or put a premium on presentation (that I want to look good) I completely agree, but then I've never even owned an LCD TV in the first place. Went right from a Trinitron to a plasma, to an OLED. For general games on my secondary PC, I'm still using a shitty $150 Asus monitor from 2013. When games are full screen, the "blacks" don't really bother me too much, but good lord if I try to watch anything letterboxed (gag). For most 1080p console games, I still just play them on the plasma in the bedroom. I wouldn't actually want to exchange it for an OLED even if I could either. The upscaling just doesn't look right.

For all the pros of OLED, burn in potential still scares me. I come from a Plasma background so yeah idk. QLED at least guarantees I won't have that issue. I'm just waiting for more sets with HDMI 2.1 so I can be ready for the PS5. And I'm not spending over a 1000 for a TV.

Samsung just released a couple of models (q90t and q80t)with hdmi 2.1 and they seem pretty good. I think I'm going to get a 75 inch q80t model later this month.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Which TVs are fututre proof for the next generation of consoles, as in which ones would give me the best experience?
Budget is not that important. TV would act as PC monitor and Console monitor, so burn in is a no no.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I currently have a 10 year old Plasma. Personally, having considered all the different options, I think OLED is for me, but I do have to say that Samsung's QLED's aren't even something I would consider for a moment. They supposedly look awful in Game Mode, and no Dolby Vision sucks for movies too. I'd only really consider Sony if I were going the LCD route. I'd rather have a better picture in Game Mode and Dolby Vision than Quantum Dots.

Also, for those concerned over OLED burn-in, it is worth bearing in mind that the OLED's out there with burn-in are older models, and that the newer models have greatly improved burn-in prevention features and seem to be less prone to it in general. On top of that, you can get a 5 year warranty at Best Buy that covers burn in. Supposedly, LG will replace panels up to 4 years old with burn in for free as well, but I'm unsure of this as I contacted them, and they did not tell me they would replace an OLED for burn in, so who knows if that is true or not.

Ditters

Nov 2, 2017
I just picked up a 55 in c9 from Costco for 1299 with a 5 year warranty. My dog who i have never seen pay attention to the TV was watching Our Planet and put his paws up on my TV stand like he wanted to jump in. If that isn't a testimonial for how amazing the picture is, I don't know what is.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Which TVs are fututre proof for the next generation of consoles, as in which ones would give me the best experience?
Budget is not that important. TV would act as PC monitor and Console monitor, so burn in is a no no.
LG OLEDs are easily the most future proof, with HDMI 2.1 and all the trimmings. They have the best picture too. If cost isn't an issue, just get the Best Buy warranty (which will cover burn-in) and you are set. No need to worry about it at all. If you are absolutely against OLED even so, the options right now for LCDs are pretty limited. As I said in my prior post, I don't think Samsung is a good choice in general. Pack of Dolby Vision really stinks for movies, and the Game Mode has poor image quality compared to other TV's.

For LCD then, I would look at the Sony 900H, which should be out in a month or two, and has full HDMI 2.1 features. Unfortunately, it doesn't utilize Sony's highest end image processing, so the picture may be a little lacking compared to their higher end sets (which baffingly don't feature HDMI 2.1). There are also sets coming from Vizio and (supposedly) TCL that have 2.1 and would be relatively cheap, but buyer beware, these brands are known for quality control issues and poor reliability. You get what you pay for with TV's these days.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I hear a lot about LGs (and for good reason, price), but I bet the Sony picture processing paired with an OLED looks fantastic. They are so much more expensive though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Plasma is not an option anymore. There's no point bringing it up in a debate about Oled vs Led .

Peak brightness sure if your TV is sitting out in the porch by the pool. Other then that, there's no advantage to led beside lower burn-in risk.

Edit: I had burn in too with my Oled and switched to led (Sony's 905e). I'm pretty satisfied and wouldn't go back to Oled because I never wanna see the Fifa logo etched forever on my screen again. But there's no denying I don't have the same image quality I once had.
The point is to recognize what OLED's weaknesses are still.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I bought an LG C9 OLED last month. Absolutely worth it to me. Only little nitpick I have is that the panel is insanely reflective. I've got it set up in quite a bright room, so it might be my fault for lack of research, but I've got no regrets.

I'm interested.

It costs 1400€ in France though, whereas the B9 is more like 1150. Anyone knows if the difference is worth the euros ?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Off topic, but it'll be interesting to see how Sony handles 2.1 moving forward since a bunch of their televisions from previous years (and one would assume this year) have the hardware for it. All that's needed is a firmware update and they're good to go. A user at AVS flashed custom firmware to his 950G to prove it. Sony, of course, went nuclear and is ordering the removal of such posts everywhere from AVS to Twitter. So they may either be planning their own update in the future or they're just being dicks for no reason. (wouldn't be shocking). If Sony doesn't put out their own firmware update, the community will handle the rest.

All of the following are capable of HDMI 2.1:
  • X950G
  • A8G
  • A9G
  • A8F
  • A9F
  • Z9F

That's absolutely mind boggling honestly. One of the biggest features that I point out when selling LG OLEDs is HDMI 2.1 VRR futureproofing. It's a huge deal for customers who intend on buying the next gen consoles.

Even if Sony were to update them in the future— I honestly doubt it based on the language about 2.1 from Sony reps (they say Sony only wants it in certain models to sell as gaming specific TVs)— it makes no sense not to have it as a feature now.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been doing a LOT of research on this, and decided against an OLED due to price and also burn-in risks because of the amount of static elements (mostly game UIs) that will be on there for a long time.

My plan is to get a new Vizio and hold onto it until micro LED becomes a thing. Smaller investment now for a bigger one later, instead of two big investments

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I currently have a 10 year old Plasma. Personally, having considered all the different options, I think OLED is for me, but I do have to say that Samsung's QLED's aren't even something I would consider for a moment. They supposedly look awful in Game Mode, and no Dolby Vision sucks for movies too. I'd only really consider Sony if I were going the LCD route. I'd rather have a better picture in Game Mode and Dolby Vision than Quantum Dots.

Also, for those concerned over OLED burn-in, it is worth bearing in mind that the OLED's out there with burn-in are older models, and that the newer models have greatly improved burn-in prevention features and seem to be less prone to it in general. On top of that, you can get a 5 year warranty at Best Buy that covers burn in. Supposedly, LG will replace panels up to 4 years old with burn in for free as well, but I'm unsure of this as I contacted them, and they did not tell me they would replace an OLED for burn in, so who knows if that is true or not.

If I were buying a TV right now, there's only two I'd consider - an OLED - LG probably or a Sony - or a Samsung QLED - Game Mode is not only fine, it's great if you set it up right (I can't speak subjectively - you may HATE the way it looks and that's fine- just on accurate representation and overall fidelity of movement and image) - Samsung is weird in that its game mode eliminates lag/latency, but it doesn't elminmate all the image processing, so you can go in and tweak the Game Mode too - there's a lot of flex and options. It's also nice that you can set it up to automatically detect the source material and go to YOUR prefs for that input - instead of having to adjust every time.

As for Dolby Vision - as much as it hits me in the OCD to see a red X on a feature - Dolby Vision is largely a solution for brightness - which of course QLEDs in particular are unlikely to suffer from deficiencies of - in the way that OLED does currently. So Dolby Vision, ironically, is only essential for an OLED set in the current market.

I'm less worried about burn in - the idea of it nags at me a little, but my habits would likely not result in it. If you're upgrading from an old Plasma or an olde LCD, either tech is going to smash what you had beforwe in most regards - but the QLED is no slouch no matter how you look at it - and you can get vastly more rela estate for the buck, so if you want a legit huge (70 inches and up) TV then QLED is by far the most practical solution.

Of course, we shouldn't forget ultra short throw! If you have an indoor Shark Pool, it's the only way to go...

Amazon.com: Sony VPLVZ1000ES Ultra-Short Throw 4K HDR Home Theatre Projector: Electronics

Buy Sony VPLVZ1000ES Ultra-Short Throw 4K HDR Home Theatre Projector: Video Projectors - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
Not to totally turn this into a TV buying advice thread but has anyone had any experience with the LG Nanocells?

I know its a similar situation to the QLEDs where it's mainly just a fancy marketing term and nowhere near as good as proper OLEDs, but I'm wanting to upgrade, and I like LG's build quality/OS so I want to stick with them but can't quite splash out for an OLED just yet. Even cheap OLEDs remain at the high end of my price range, and, given my tiny living room, would dominate a lot of space, as much as I'm sure I'd appreciate the picture quality.