• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What TV do you have?

• OLED

Votes: 503 72.6%
  • QLED

Votes: 83 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 107 15.4%

• Total voters

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
QLED is only in this conversation because of effective corporate advertising convincing schmucks that it belongs in the same conversation as OLED.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% happy with my 900F and think it looks fantastic color and display wise, love the upscaling, but I'm always in FOMO mode with OLED.

But then I think about not worrying about burn in and being able to leave my tv on windows since I use it with my PC and getting anxiety about burn in that the halo effect of FALD isn't as terrible as it may seem. First world problem I know.

So I might buy one from Best Buy to test it out in the living room. I'm dumb.

thought about pulling the trigger on that but the input lag seems a little high, especially at 1080p?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung LEDs are great for gaming and often looks great.

I hate the looks of most tvs and wouldn't have a tv with black frame in my living room. I regret buying a computer monitor with black frame, it's like having a stained gloryhole in the middle of the room.

the reason i even HAVE a qled tv is because I wanted the Samsung Frame form factor and features. So when it went on sale I jumped on it and it's been pretty awesome. The flush mounting was extremely easy to do. The hardware also allows a little tuning of horizontal after you hang it so I probably could have just measured and leveled twice instead of eight million times...

but I'm not paying the price for the other bezels. Black is just fine when it literally looks like a painting.

oh and that's another advantage of qled- it's able to produce natural looking "reflective" scenes and it fooled the missus completely. She thought I'd hung a photo of our daughter.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
it really is situational. depends on your setup, planned usage, budget and model. Even if QLED is just marketing, OLED has enough drawbacks that it isn't clean cut.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I find it odd that supposedly 71% of era members have an oled.
It's 71% of the 300 or so votes in the poll. There are thousands of era members. Makes sense that 200+ people on a forum that caters to enthusiasts, in a thread about high end TVs, own high end TVs. Personally I've owned multiple HDR displays since 2016, inclusing QLED, FALD Sonys, and budget Samsung (for my bedroom). I'm still impressed by my 3 year old OLED all the time, and it's just a LG B7. I have like 6000 hours on the thing, have a PC, ps4 pro and switch hooked up to it and it's just a treat every time.

Edit: I'll add that QLEDS are great and I would consiser a 75" when I set up my basement home theater since the 75" OLEDS are so expensive. They are perfectly acceptable displays, it's just that the OLED PQ is hard to go back from once you're used to it

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This deceptive marketing should be illegal tbh. Even here when people try to explain it the lies still come through.

QLED is an LCD screen (not a LED screen, LED is referring to the backlight, the main tech that make up the actual pixels is LCD). Same BS they pulled with "LED" LCD TVs.
OLED is Organic LED, these are actual mini Light Emitting Diodes that make up the pixels (not the backlight).

Two completely different technologies.

The LED stuff is so annoying, because you just know when we're gonna get MicroLEDs, which is gonna be awesome, people are going to be even more confused and lied to. Really don't understand how this kind of stuff doesn't fall under false advertising.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if burn-in is something to care about really. If you think about the lifetime of TVs, the fact that people are running crappy LCDs with horrible backlight bleed already, and that you probably need a side-by-side test to spot burn-in at the end. Is it really something to worry about? I have a monitor with a scratch in the middle of the display and my brain wipes it away every time i use it, I have to have others spot it for me to see it again.

I do not have an OLED, not yet, but going QLED feels like a compromise at this time.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Nobody who has owned both will tell you to go for QLED.

QLED is just a LCD with marketing buzz.

Go with OLED until MircoLED becomes a thing.

Deleted member 29857

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have both.

Samsung Q85r 75 inch in the living room and a 55 inch LG OLED C7 in my entertainment room. My One X have been hooked to both of them and outside of the deeper blacks on the OLED, there really isn't much difference. I'd even prefer the QLED bc no screen burn-in and higher brightness.

The only thing that pisses me off on the QLED is the lack of Dolby Vision. Oh, and Samsung OS suck compared to the buttery smooth WebOS.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Beaten to death, but QLED is just a line of Samsung LEDs.

OLED is the superior technology overall, but it inherited both the worst of LCD (sample-and-hold/poor motion handling) and plasma. (burn in)

And before someone tries to tell you that burn in isn't a concern on OLED, it is. (ref: I repair televisions and install HT)

EDIT: if you have a living room that gets a lot of sun or something and you need the brightness to punch through it, LED wins. Otherwise, both are excessively bright for light controlled rooms.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if burn-in is something to care about really. If you think about the lifetime of TVs, the fact that people are running crappy LCDs with horrible backlight bleed already, and that you probably need a side-by-side test to spot burn-in at the end. Is it really something to worry about? I have a monitor with a scratch in the middle of the display and my brain wipes it away every time i use it, I have to have others spot it for me to see it again.

I do not have an OLED, not yet, but going QLED feels like a compromise at this time.
The newer OLED models definitely seem better at preventing burn-in, as well. It only seems to be an issue in extreme use cases; anyone using it for varied media don't seem to have to worry after looking at a few burn-in tests people have done, so I'm surprised it's still mentioned as often as it is. It's one of the reasons I avoided plasmas in the past, though.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah. It matters when you pay 2,000usd and your new tv can't last 2 years because you play too many games and watch too much tv with static logos

warranty is a must

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah. It matters when you pay 2,000usd and your new tv can't last 2 years because you play too many games and watch too much tv with static logos

warranty is a must

www.rtings.com

Real-Life OLED Burn-In Test On 6 TVs

There are concerns about OLED long-term performance due to the possibility of burn-in. We bought 6 LG OLED C7s to play real, non-altered content. It should give you a better idea of what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.
5 years / 5 hours a day seem fine to me.

"Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV."

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
www.rtings.com

There are concerns about OLED long-term performance due to the possibility of burn-in. We bought 6 LG OLED C7s to play real, non-altered content. It should give you a better idea of what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.

"Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV."

I can tell you that my most commonly replaced panel over the past year was the B9/C9. The year before that? B8/C8. It was due to burn in and I assure you these clients were not running rtings test on their own televisions.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
www.rtings.com

If it works out that way everyone should be fine with it. How many people watch varied content? How many watch hundreds and hundreds of hours of the same channel constantly? Who plays the same game for a hundred hours? I know casuals who own 3 games.

all you gotta do is go to avforums and read what people have personally been through. It's by no means doom and gloom. It's CLEARLY the best picture with a catch.

May 10, 2018
With an OLED, burn in may only be an issue if you game for an extended period of time, I'm talking all day long or watch cable news.

the built in apps will automatically default to a screensaver if the tv is left idle for about a minute.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
if it was just me using the tv, id probably be all over an oled.

but its not and i dont want the headache. fking burn in.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
LG OLEDs must sell a bunch then.

They sell quite a few. I by far repair more Samsungs than anything else, but that's because they sell more than anyone else. But it's exactly as you'd predict: burned in news tickers for boomers and burned in HUDs for millennials. (generally, of course) The lesson seems to get learned the first time but no one is ever happy being told that it'll happen again if they don't change their viewing/use habits.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Went with the Oled and have to say that I'm pretty satisfied so far. Colors are great and brightness is pretty on par with old LEDs so that's great for me.

Set it up during the after noon and daylight didn't bother me at all. Only thing is getting used to them deep blacks with different streaming services and games. Is it normal having to tweak picture settings depending of what service I'm watching or game I'm playing?

For example, Netflix seems to feel different in colors and shadows than Disney+. And GOW, once I got it to a place I thought looked amazing, had to then tweak picture mode and its settings for The Lost Legacy because I wasn't liking how it looked.

Never had that issue with LED once I got it to where I wanted it picture wise.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
I have an LG C9 in the bedroom, along with an LG B6 in the living room but I've never watched on a QLED outside of showroom floors so I don't feel I'm qualified to compare the two panel technologies. I will say, though, that even with the older LG B6, I've never felt the disadvantage of OLED in maximum nits compared to top-end LCDs to be hindering picture quality in any way. The OLED light in ISF Dark Room is at 35 and it looks bright enough to me even during day time with the curtains open when watching stuff like YouTube videos. When watching movies or TV shows during daytime, I use ISF Bright Room with OLED light set to 55 and with that, I honestly don't see why I need, or even should want, a brighter TV for SDR content. Same with HDR. I think most people are so used to almost eye-searing brightness just to be wowed by their TVs when the goal should always be, IMO, to present as natural an image on screen as possible. Maybe my opinion will change if I ever have extended experience watching on top-end FALDs.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I have an LG C9 in the bedroom, along with an LG B6 in the living room but I've never watched on a QLED outside of showroom floors so I don't feel I'm qualified to compare the two panel technologies. I will say, though, that even with the older LG B6, I've never felt the disadvantage of OLED in maximum nits compared to top-end LCDs to be hindering picture quality in any way. The OLED light in ISF Dark Room is at 35 and it looks bright enough to me even during day time with the curtains open when watching stuff like YouTube videos. When watching movies or TV shows during daytime, I use ISF Bright Room with OLED light set to 55 and with that, I honestly don't see why I need, or even should want, a brighter TV for SDR content. Same with HDR. I think most people are so used to almost eye-searing brightness just to be wowed by their TVs when the goal should always be, IMO, to present as natural an image on screen as possible. Maybe my opinion will change if I ever have extended experience watching on top-end FALDs.
Do you notice much of a difference between the B6 and the C9?

Jul 4, 2018
Got an LG B8 OLED myself, love the image quality, although low bitrate stuff looks worse than on regular LEDs in my opinion. But stuff in 1080p and 4k with decent to great bitrate looks mindblowing. Also love the fact that my model has a built in speaker that supports Atmos, sounds really good already and looking to add some external speakers to it and some point to get an even better sound experience.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
Do you notice much of a difference between the B6 and the C9?

I honestly don't. The perfect blacks are always immediately noticeable even during the middle of the day compared to my LCD monitors but in terms of brightness, I would need to focus more on picture quality instead of immersing myself in a film, TV show or games for me to notice. That remains true even in HDR. I played the RE2 Remake first on the B6 and when I replayed it on the C9, I don't remember being more wowed by the highlights (best example for me would be the headlights on the police cars in the gas station or in the underground garage) on the C9 than on the B6. So the perfect blacks are immediately obvious, no matter the lighting conditions, but I need a more critical eye to discern the difference in max nits.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
I'll also leave this snippet from the FlatPanelsHD review of the LG C9 which swayed me into buying this set over the competing FALDs last year.

Having once again had some of the latest and greatest OLED and LCD TVs in our lab at the same time, we are once again reminded that the pixel-level luminance control of self-emitting display technologies such as OLED and microLED trump the higher, often theoretical, peak brightness of LCD TVs for HDR picture quality. We maintain that OLED TVs currently produce the best HDR picture quality, which is actually astounding when you consider that OLED panel development hit a roadblock 3 years ago.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't. The perfect blacks are always immediately noticeable even during the middle of the day compared to my LCD monitors but in terms of brightness, I would need to focus more on picture quality instead of immersing myself in a film, TV show or games for me to notice. That remains true even in HDR. I played the RE2 Remake first on the B6 and when I replayed it on the C9, I don't remember being more wowed by the highlights (best example for me would be the headlights on the police cars in the gas station or in the underground garage) on the C9 than on the B6. So the perfect blacks are immediately obvious, no matter the lighting conditions, but I need a more critical eye to discern the difference in max nits.
Thanks. I have a C7 and was wondering if upgrading would do much for me. I am interested in hdmi 2.1 features that will come later though.

Damisa

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a QLED because it was a $1000 cheaper at the time, the OLED screen was nicer but not worth $1000 extra

Jonatron

Apr 22, 2020
The 2019 Samsung Q70R is a great tv. Paid less than $1800AUD for 65" yesterday. Could not justify spending more for a smaller 55" Oled screen for minimal PQ difference.

Price/performance was just right for this panel. 2020 models have just been released so some good deals to be had if you can find 2019 clearance stock.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I haven't been paying attention to the TV space these last two years. How far off are MicroLED TVs? Isn't Apple trying to launch MicroLED products this fall or Q1 2021?

EDIT: Wait, maybe I'm mistaken and Apple is trying for MiniLED?

Last edited:

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017
QLED because cheaper. If anybody can recommend a QLED with 2.1 HDMI and decent input lag, I'd be grateful.

Not sure if this has been answered already -- still reading through the thread -- but the new some of the new Q-series from Samsung have HDMI 2.1. The Q80T and up of their 2020 TVs all have at least one HDMI 2.1 port.

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017
I'll be honest, I haven't been paying attention to the TV space these last two years. How far off are MicroLED TVs? Isn't Apple trying to launch MicroLED products this fall or Q1 2021?

TCL is introducing Mini LED to their 6-series this year. Not microLED, sure, but it's a step toward it. I wouldn't expect actual MicroLED for years.

demon326

Nov 3, 2017
Went with the Oled and have to say that I'm pretty satisfied so far. Colors are great and brightness is pretty on par with old LEDs so that's great for me.

Set it up during the after noon and daylight didn't bother me at all. Only thing is getting used to them deep blacks with different streaming services and games. Is it normal having to tweak picture settings depending of what service I'm watching or game I'm playing?

For example, Netflix seems to feel different in colors and shadows than Disney+. And GOW, once I got it to a place I thought looked amazing, had to then tweak picture mode and its settings for The Lost Legacy because I wasn't liking how it looked.

If your playing games, put it on the games mode. If your playing movies, tv-shows and so on, put it on pro2, as that is 99% of the time the best out of the box preset for watchting movies and shows. The downside of the OLED perfection is that you see so much shadow detail that you begin to notice the compression the streaming services apply to there content and that is something you mostly notice in darker scenes.

Buy the new Lion King movie and put it on, that is what i call demo worthy material!

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's why we have standards, I set my C9 up as close to the standards as possible, which is pretty much ISF Dark Room or Light Room depending on your surrounding light levels.

After that I don't touch any settings, if things look different then that's how they are supposed to look.

Really don't get the people that are constantly tweaking settings either per game or per streaming service etc.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
My 9-5 job is selling TVs and I can't tell you how exhausted I am with explaining to customers thay QLEDs are not a type of display...

Hell... I'm tired of explaining that LED is not a type of display.

It's not their fault but corporate marketing is extremely powerful and I believe Samsung is to blame for branding LED as a new type of TV the same way they do with QLED.

Imagine if Samsung spent some of that marketing money making TVs that are worth a damn.... but then again they don't need to when they have the strongest brand power in the industry.

TCL is introducing Mini LED to their 6-series this year. Not microLED, sure, but it's a step toward it. I wouldn't expect actual MicroLED for years.

MiniLED is just more marketing jargon. It's still 100% an LCD panel but with more sophisticated backlighting. So it's not really a step towards microled.

microled will be a new display type. It uses individual LEDs that are self-illuminating like OLED panels.

As for me I have a 900F Sony and I really like my TV. It's good for now but I really want to get an LG OLED at some point.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Sony LCD/LED, which is very good, but next time I'm getting an OLED for sure. QLED is just a Samsung marketing thing, it's just LCD/LED with some refinements.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
OLED served me well until the panel on my LG started degrading after 2 years. Permanent screen burn (the YouTube logo for example since I use the app daily), a permanent dark patch in the middle which also turns yellows a shade of green, very sensitive image retention where menus and UI elements take several minutes to fade fully if they are present for more than 30 seconds or so. Honestly you might as well run at full OLED brightness because the years of being extra careful out of fear were a waste of time.

This was actually after taking part in the 'panel lottery' where you had a high chance of getting an LG OLED which had some sort of issue. I think that's less of a thing now. But anyway the first one had a huge yellow stain across the bottom of the screen which was very obvious when white was displayed. That was sent back and this replacement was great, for a couple of years as I said.

Safe to say I'd never waste my money again. It's a shame because it looked 1000 times better than any LCD at the time. These days a good QLED comes close but to be honest I'm just totally soured on the idea of premium TVs given how long the issue took to manifest.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
As for me I have a 900F Sony and I really like my TV. It's good for now but I really want to get an LG OLED at some point.

I like my X900F as well, but the flaws are really grating:
  • At least on mine, if you have an ARC device (like a soundbar) and then use devices into HDMI1 or 4, within a day the ARC connection will fail. I learned painfully over time the only way to "fix" this is to just unplug everything in those two HDMI ports. Rinse and repeat as necessary...
  • Just generally not fast Android. It's great and flexible in terms of apps, but speed and specs are really not as good as a $60 chinese TV box. An Android Box would solve the problem but...see the HDMI issue.
  • We got Android 9 but none of the HDMI 2.1 enhancements like eARC or Apple device streaming. :(
It cost a fortune here (Singapore) too so generally I think I'm done with LCD next time.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I like my X900F as well, but the flaws are really grating:
  • At least on mine, if you have an ARC device (like a soundbar) and then use devices into HDMI1 or 4, within a day the ARC connection will fail. I learned painfully over time the only way to "fix" this is to just unplug everything in those two HDMI ports. Rinse and repeat as necessary...
  • Just generally not fast Android. It's great and flexible in terms of apps, but speed and specs are really not as good as a $60 chinese TV box. An Android Box would solve the problem but...see the HDMI issue.
  • We got Android 9 but none of the HDMI 2.1 enhancements like eARC or Apple device streaming. :(
It cost a fortune here (Singapore) too so generally I think I'm done with LCD next time.

Yeah I like the app compatibility of android TV (steamlink!) but lord is it slow and unintuitive.

What's weird is Sony only has HDMI 2.1 with VRR on one model (none of their OLEDs) and it's the 900H

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
There's no screen (whether TV or monitor) that has it all right?

The low input lag and response time of LG's 144hz 27GL850 + 4K, HDR at high nits, OLED and Gsync hardware module.

It feels like you have to sacrifice one thing for another when choosing a screen.

Unless the above exists and it's the ridiculously priced £3000 and £4000 screens?