• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What TV do you have?

• OLED

Votes: 503 72.6%
  • QLED

Votes: 83 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 107 15.4%

• Total voters

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
237109.jpg

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Samsung TVs don't even support Dolby Vision

It does suck that Samsung doesn't want to pay license fees for Dolby Vision. I do have to say that Dolby Vision is much less important of Samsung's higher end TV's as they all get over 1,000 nits of brightness and can properly light most scenes and colors. Dolby Vision's main feature is bringing out brightness and detail in TV's with lower levels of brightness.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Same. I want nothing more right now than to upgrade to an OLED, but my PC's taskbar is sometimes there for hours at a time on the display. Every time I see one in action I am impressed, but for the time being I'll have to pass up on it.
Set taskbar to auto hide. Ive been using an OLED as my PC monitor for 3 years now. I kinda figured I would get burn in eventually, but it hasnt happened. I use it as a monitor 4-6 hours a day.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
QLED doesn't mean anything. I used to sell TVs and all the staff would laugh whenever we brought up QLED in training.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I'd like a OLED but am too concerned about burn-in for my HTPC set-up and the the living room tv is in a bright room.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Are there OLEDs out there with better motion resolution than Panasonic's plasmas from ~2010? I haven't upgraded to 4K and still love my 1080p plasma. Low input lag, still has deep blacks, excellent with motion, etc.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He guys! Is this a good Oled TV for the price?

Also, I have my eyes on a Samsung QLED as well since I've always preferred brighter TVs. For some reason, overall dark looking screens annoy me and I don't mind not having deeper blacks. That's why I always went with LCDs instead of Plasmas, but I'm not sure if Oleds are the same as plasmas in that way.

Anyway, here's the Qled:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
He guys! Is this a good Oled TV for the price?

Also, I have my eyes on a Samsung QLED as well since I've always preferred brighter TVs. For some reason, overall dark looking screens annoy me and I don't mind not having deeper blacks. That's why I always went with LCDs instead of Plasmas, but I'm not sure if Oleds are the same as plasmas in that way.

Anyway, here's the Qled:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have that Samsung Q70 and I like it a lot. I was previously using a 1080p Bravia from nearly 15 years ago and the difference was mind-blowing. I think overall the differences between QLED and OLED are splitting hairs but if you are upgrading after a long period of time either is going to be an incredible leap over what you used to have.

Oct 28, 2017
My personal opinion is that Sony makes the best LED TVs *if* you are a video purist and value picture accuracy above all. QLED is just Samsung's marketing term for Quantom Dot technology which is available on competing brands like TCL and Vizio. Samsung QLEDs are definitely very nice TVs... great gaming features, deep blacks but usually at the expense of shadow detail and better viewing angles than your typical VA panel.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I have that Samsung Q70 and I like it a lot. I was previously using a 1080p Bravia from nearly 15 years ago and the difference was mind-blowing. I think overall the differences between QLED and OLED are splitting hairs but if you are upgrading after a long period of time either is going to be an incredible leap over what you used to have.

I mean, people are likely to be very happy with both, but it's a lot more than splitting hairs. The QLEDs are amazing TVs and priced very well for the sizes....but OLED kinda just destroys everything in quality. OLED is just better, and it's not really close.

Value per dollar is a where things get interesting, but picture quality, OLED wins hands down.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't even a question. It's OLED by a large margin. QLED is not even remotely in the same league.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My question is, and it's very important to me, aside from colors and overall image quality, how bright OLEDs are? The area where I'm putting my TV is pretty bright and there's a lot of indirect light that reflects on the screen.

I really like bright and not too reflective TVs which is why I always picked LCDs over plasmas. I just want to know if OLEDs are more like plasmas in that sense or if they aren't as dark and reflective.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is that even a thing these days? My TV is like four years old and it supports Dolby Vision.

dolby vision is pretty rare all things considered. Hdr10 is far more common because of licensing fees. That's obviously changing now but it'll be a while before it's in every new tv.

oled is easy winner on every facet except price and burn in.

Getting cheaper daily too:

LG OLED55B9PUA B9 Series 55" 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2019) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RMSJT4J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o2zREb0X5VFR7

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I have a 2013 Bravia LED, but I recently got an LG 27GL850-B Gaming Monitor and have transitioned my PS4 Pro to that.

As lovely as the monitor is, I'm hating the Black Levels so much. The less said about the Black Levels on my Bravia the better.

I badly need an OLED TV in my life. Probably will go for the LG Gaming brand when I eventually get to it in the next few years.

I've never experienced HDR before and feel like I'm missing out :(

I have a 2019 Q70 and I'm very pleased with it. I had an opportunity to buy a C9 OLED for less than a grand last year(when they were still like two), so I sold a Browning Hi-Power, headed back, cash in my pocket... and some other mother fucker was loading my TV onto a flatbed. First world tragedy.
Lmao that anecdote tickled me.

Rex Griswold

Oct 29, 2017
I have a 2019 Q70 and I'm very pleased with it. I had an opportunity to buy a C9 OLED for less than a grand last year(when they were still like two), so I sold a Browning Hi-Power, headed back, cash in my pocket... and some other mother fucker was loading my TV onto a flatbed. First world tragedy.

The Q70 is not just as good, but it's still a great TV for what you pay and offers way more value than the other Samsung QLEDs. Much nicer than the Q60, reasonably close to the Q80 but noticeably less, and substantially less expensive than the exercise in opulence that is the Q900. Picture to picture, OLED beats it no question, but value wise, like another poster said, it gets more interesting.

zthan

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we're still seeing coversations about this popping up tells me that Samsung's bullshit marketing strategy of branding their fancy LCDs with a similar acronym as OLED is working very well for them.

Oct 28, 2017
My question is, and it's very important to me, aside from colors and overall image quality, how bright OLEDs are? The area where I'm putting my TV is pretty bright and there's a lot of indirect light that reflects on the screen.

I really like bright and not too reflective TVs which is why I always picked LCDs over plasmas. I just want to know if OLEDs are more like plasmas in that sense or if they aren't as dark and reflective.
They are far brighter than plasmas and not even close to as reflective but do not get as bright as the top LEDs.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we're still seeing coversations about this popping up tells me that Samsung's bullshit marketing strategy of branding their fancy LCDs with a similar acronym as OLED is working very well for them.

I haven't done enough research, admittedly, and I wanted to read some impressions here instead. So QLEDs are basically same as usual LEDs, but newer? No improved tech or anything?

Are OLEDs same as plasma or completely new tech?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
LG OLEDs are so affordable now that it'd literally be a mistake to get anything else.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't done enough research, admittedly, and I wanted to read some impressions here instead. So QLEDs are basically same as usual LEDs, but newer? No improved tech or anything?

QLEDS are just samsungs flagship LED lineup. OLED is a completely different tech than plasma.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
QLED for me, the brightness of HDR is a big factor, plus burn in worries on OLED. I had a plasma in the past that never actually got burn in, but I was always worried about getting it. Don't want to bother with that anymore. I'll wait for Micro LED in the next decade.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
K guys, thanks a lot, honestly.

Last time I bought a Plasma, I ended up returning it the next day due to lack of brightness and reflections. Got a Vizio LCD instead and have been happy with it for years, until now that it turned black and white and couldn't find the main board online.

Will go with OLED, fuck it.

Edit: shit, forgot about burn ins. Are those a problem with OLEDs as well?

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017

QLEDs are a fancy LED, and LEDs are still just LCDs, the LED is how the screen is lit from behind. OLED is completely different, each pixel is also its own light source the blacks can be perfect, not "perfect" , but actually literally perfect, they are off it is black.

In your case, in the bright room, I think the OLED would still be good, but I would just get an LED LCD, the picture will be washed out from the bright light in the room anyway, so it would be more worth it to save more money and get an LED LCD tv, it should perform in that environment better.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
K guys, thanks a lot, honestly.

Last time I bought a Plasma, I ended up returning it the next day due to lack of brightness and reflections. Got a Vizio LCD instead and have been happy with it for years, until now that it turned black and white and couldn't find the main board online.

Will go with OLED, fuck it.

Edit: shit, forgot about burn ins. Are those a problem with OLEDs as well?

I've been using an OLED for 4 years now and it still doesn't have any burn in at all, and I've heard the newer sets are even better protected against it than mine.

I honestly wouldn't worry.

Fahro

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a 65 inch Sony XF9005 on Black Friday last year for 999Euro and I'm happy with it. we Use the tv a lot so I was worried about burn in and pixel degradation, but I'm sure that an OLED has a dimmer but better picture quality because of the self emissive technology.
I bought the set because it was much cheaper than an OLED at same screen size.

QLED (pretty much LCDs with a confusing marketing name) tend to cost about the same as an LG OLED and have worse picture quality. There is a reason that Samsung display is shifting to OLED

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Also do not worry that much about OLED burn in. I have a B6, basically Bx, Cx x = the year. Mine is from 2016, I have a NUC HTPC as a audio player hooked up to it with Win10. No burn in. Though use common sense obviously, hide taskbar. The TV has a nice feature where if screen is inactive, it'll go and play a nice visualizer. Don't worry too much. And I believe the newer models have even less of an issue.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
And mine is in a bright room, just don't set up across windows, I mean that's good placement regardless. You don't want direct light on screen, which will be very annoying. Keep in mind, you do need to do some research, go through the picture modes and calibrate them to look its best. Once setup, its amazing. Someone mentioned washed out before, I can bet they didn't bother much with tweaking. If possibly just pay Best Buy to come and calibrate it for your room. There are a plethora of in room options, Bright Room, Dark Room and very detailed settings such as tint levels, RGB, white balance etc.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty people on this forum have OLED with burn in. YMMV depending on your content, tv settings, and model purchased. I use a LG B6 and have burn in from using it as a TV and monitor, even with an aggressive display sleep timer.

One poster mentioned the ABL as well, and to an extent the ABSL, which both suck. That said, the picture quality is amazing.

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a 65 inch Sony XF9005 on Black Friday last year for 999Euro and I'm happy with it. we Use the tv a lot so I was worried about burn in and pixel degradation, but I'm sure that an OLED has a dimmer but better picture quality because of the self emissive technology.
I bought the set because it was much cheaper than an OLED at same screen size.

QLED (pretty much LCDs with a confusing marketing name) tend to cost about the same as an LG OLED and have worse picture quality. There is a reason that Samsung display is shifting to OLED
The 900F 55/65" line is probably the best value on the market right now

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
There's still two things that keep me from purchasing an OLED (even though the PQ is second to none). The first is burn in of HUD elements (even if the risk is minimal I'd be nervous about it all the time) and the price at bigger sizes. I'm not going back to a 65" and I can't justify spending $8000 AUD on a 75".

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
Samsung LEDs are great for gaming and often looks great.

I hate the looks of most tvs and wouldn't have a tv with black frame in my living room. I regret buying a computer monitor with black frame, it's like having a stained gloryhole in the middle of the room.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
How is that even a thing these days? My TV is like four years old and it supports Dolby Vision.

Two reasons. First, dynamic metadata like Dolby Vision is meant to compensate for a TV not being able to get bright enough so that it maps the colors to a range that fits within your TV. LED panels get brighter than OLED so theoretically if your TV has the proper range, you don't need Dolby Vision. One problem with this is despite being brighter, it handles black levels worse so you don't get as good of a contrast and dark scenes potentially aren't displayed as well. The second reason is because they want to push their HDR10+ format as an open dynamic metadata HDR format.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
dolby vision is pretty rare all things considered. Hdr10 is far more common because of licensing fees. That's obviously changing now but it'll be a while before it's in every new tv.

oled is easy winner on every facet except price and burn in.

Getting cheaper daily too:

LG OLED55B9PUA B9 Series 55" 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2019) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RMSJT4J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o2zREb0X5VFR7
Halo Infinite looks best on OLED confirmed!

Aisod

Mar 21, 2020
Are there OLEDs out there with better motion resolution than Panasonic's plasmas from ~2010? I haven't upgraded to 4K and still love my 1080p plasma. Low input lag, still has deep blacks, excellent with motion, etc.

Nope. The OLED motion blows. It is the only negative of my C8 compared to my VT25 Panny.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% happy with my 900F and think it looks fantastic color and display wise, love the upscaling, but I'm always in FOMO mode with OLED.

But then I think about not worrying about burn in and being able to leave my tv on windows since I use it with my PC and getting anxiety about burn in that the halo effect of FALD isn't as terrible as it may seem. First world problem I know.

So I might buy one from Best Buy to test it out in the living room. I'm dumb.

Fahro

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% happy with my 900F and think it looks fantastic color and display wise, love the upscaling, but I'm always in FOMO mode with OLED.

But then I think about not worrying about burn in and being able to leave my tv on windows since I use it with my PC and getting anxiety about burn in that the halo effect of FALD isn't as terrible as it may seem. First world problem I know.

So I might buy one from Best Buy to test it out in the living room. I'm dumb.

Me too. And you can also activate X-Motion Clarity in game mode for improved motion resolution.

I'm happy with my purchase and hope that the TV will last for a long time