• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
giphy.gif

There is only one all time mac-daddy late-comer showstopper big bopper king cream answer to this question.

Frasier doesn't even show up on Cheeers for 2 full seasons. This motherfucker held the show down, brought in tons of recurring secondary characters, and between this show and his own appeared in over 20 seasons of television. This big psychology radio boy is world heavyweight champion in my book.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
giphy.gif

There is only one all time mac-daddy late-comer showstopper big bopper king cream answer to this question.

Frasier doesn't even show up on Cheeers for 2 full seasons. This motherfucker held the show down, brought in tons of recurring secondary characters, and between this show and his own appeared in over 20 seasons of television. This big psychology radio boy is world heavyweight champion in my book.

Garak on DS9 is my personal fave. Frank on Always Sunny is the prime modern example. But Frasier on Cheers is the best answer.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
giphy.gif

This right here - we're done. :)

I'll also take Woody as a secndary nomination - but Frasier is king.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It's been mentioned but Angel had quite a few. Wesley, Lorne and Fred.

Parks and Rec is a good one too.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lyanna Mormont

shewentoutlikeaboss.jpeg

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
Urkel didn't make his way into Family Matters until midway through the first season.

The whole situation surrounding that is still unreal to this day. As many know, Family Matters was spun off of Perfect Strangers which Harriette was a part of. I do remember when they brought in Carl for a few episodes...though they were received well by the audience I thought at the time they'd just keep them with Perfect Strangers appearing here and there. When ABC announced they were spinning Harriette off into her own series though I wasn't too surprised at it I was very unsure how it'd go and if it would work out. When the series premiered I liked it. It started out as this really nice little family sitcom about Harrietre and her family. Ratings the first half of the season were....modest would be a generous word. You could also say they were neither great nor terrible. The show was kinda just there. Mid season I thought personally it was on the bubble with a 50/50 chance of renewal. I did feel though if it did get renewed all it'd get would be two seasons all together. You know I was really okay with that possibility, as I said it was a nice little show that had it stayed focused on the family just needed a few neat compact seasons to explore the characters a little.

Then that only intended to be one episode guest spot for Jaleel White and Steve Urkel happened. I felt the only real shot at renewal and maybe getting up into 3 plus seasons relied on some kind of major tweak or shot in the arm but had no idea how that might happen. I saw that episode the night it originally aired. Immediately, immediately as soon as the Winslows door bell rang, they opened it, and he's standing there saying "Hi Mr Winslow, I'm Steve Urkel!" I knew the show just got its major shot in the arm. The studio audience knew it too. That one scene, those few seconds and his first line forever changed that show's fate. Here was this...obscenely weird, nerdy, repulsive, and downright unreal kid standing there suddenly who they and anyone in real life would run the other way from but he was also so fascinating you just had to watch. And shit boy did the audience watch. By the time that episode finished airing that night, Jaleel White and Urkel were instant smash hit celebrities. The ratings that night were so high, the reception so positive they kept him on. The show went from either probably done or would be lucky to be renewed to its ass saved, doing way more than well enough to get that renewal. It went from this little relatively known show few watched to a Friday night tradition that went on for several years...overnight. I can't think of another example and circumstances where this has happened. At least not like it did here. It sure as hell couldn't happen now, not with the internet. We won't see that sort of thing ever again.

It wasn't just Urkel that gave it the huge shot in the arm, it was also the addition of Waldo. That guy's character was something else. Out of the gate he was already super clueless and clumsy. And every week you'd ask yourself how much more clueless he could possibly get. And every week he surpassed himself just when you think he couldn't. He was lovesble though. Later cams Myra, Steve's transformation chamber and Stefan Urquelle. All of that slammed together was just surreal. Surreal and fascinating. You knew it would be and usually was a train wreck but you just had to watch it.

I know opinion is divided on it, but the show was better off with the addition of Steve and all the other characters. I loved that show, it's one of my personal favorite shows. Loved the TGIF block, the concept and all. The further we get from those days the more I miss it, it was a different time.

Finally, by the time Family Matters and Step By Step got moved to CBS they were aging fast especially in Family Matters' case. They were both...probably ready to go at that point. I've always said that if a show lasts long enough, it'll just get to where it's naturally ready to go peacefully and it usually does. The TGIF audience was growing up and moving on. Ratings for both that CBS season were well terrible. Down the shitter terrible. They were just ready to go. I only wish both had gotten actual Series Finales for closure.

But shit what a wild, unreal ride for a Family Matters! Looking at the first 11 episodes of Season 1 there was no way to know, no possible way to predict how it would come back from the literal brink to become a super smash hit that would go on for 8, EIGHT more seasons and get 215 episodes all together! Not bad for a show not expected to last beyond its first year!

Last edited:

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
Frank in Always Sunny is a good one.

Once I started the show I was surprised he didn't show up till the second season.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
You can probably put together a reasonable argument that the first series of Blackadder doesn't have Blackadder in it! His character is wildly different from series 2 onwards, and infinitely better as a result.

The Daleks turned up in the second Doctor Who serial.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ben and Desmond from Lost

Lexa from The 100

Bobbie Draper from The Expanse

Azula from Avatar

Root and Shaw from Person of Interest

Gus, Mike, and Saul from Breaking Bad

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

This is a *very* good answer.

Of options not mentioned, I'd add Olenna Tyrell from Game Of Thrones

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Claudia from Warehouse 13. Didn't come in til part way through Season 1, and was only a recurring character until later on when she became just... the best?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of good characters in The West Wing, but I do note that Charlie Young and Abigail Bartlett aren't in from the get-go. Charlie is hired in the third episode, Abbey doesn't appear until the seventh.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Urkel, Briscoe/Green, Tommy, Frasier

Yeah those do it.

Since I'm on a Rocko kick lately, Mine would have to be Filburt, he was not part of the core cast and is introduced 4 episodes in the first season.

tumblr_nigmnn3Unj1tglg2co1_500.gif

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Root in Person of Interest
Ben, Des in Lost
Mike, Saul, Breaking Bad
September, Fringe
Davos, GOT

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Avatar: The Last Airbender - Azula and Toph don't debut til S2 (Azula has two silent cameos in S1 but isn't even named). When they're added the show finally feels complete.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
The show wouldn't have lasted or become as popular as it did without the breakout star of the Urkel character.

I'm not so sure that's true, but even if it is I think it's hard to ignore that he gradually took over the show and ruined it. Before Urkel took over, that show was damn good and actually took on serious social and family issues. It was wonderful, and then we ended up with stupid shit like Robot Urkel and Stefan.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
My answer or answers have already been posted with Urkel and Tommy Oliver.

Urkel didn't make his way into Family Matters until midway through the first season.
First one I thought of, the character saved the show.
Came for Urkel and wasn't disappointed.
+1
Urkel ruined that show
If it wasn't for Urkel the show would've been lucky to have gotten a second season, it hasn't aged well with the original audience IMO (as in us kids who watched it then, now as adults, like He-Man and She-Ra cartoons) but a lot of kids loved the character at the time. It definitely jumped the shark when they ran out of ideas for him and brought in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff like the silly DNA altering gimmick where he beat up post-PR JDF while on "Bruce Lee" DNA a gimmick that eventually lead to Stefan or maybe that came first I can't remember. The character not really evolving very much as kids grew out of it didn't help either. He was pretty much the successful version of Poochie. A lot of the cast definitely started to resent it but if it wasn't for him they wouldn't be getting some nice royalty checks.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Adventure Time's iconic characters are not part of the pilot. Marceline is not in Adventure Time's pilot- she is however part of the series pitch that was made later. Not sure if that really counts. Also part of the series pitch but isn't in the pilot is The Lich. Flame Princess is a character they added quite a bit in. Lumpy Space Princess is also a character that wasnt part of the pilot.

However the biggest omission in this list is probably BMO. He isn't even really seen for the majority of season 1 although only for really minor appearances. It takes until the midpoint for season 2 for them to get a major role and become fully part of the show.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Furguson.jpg

First episode, I was "ahh, I can vibe with this."

Second episode I was "oh, that's weird, they replaced Damon Jr."

Second half of the third episode, I was "this dude makes this show."

New Girl was hilarious for its entire run, but Winston made the whole show for me.