• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
So I am planning on buying a new tv and receiver that has HDMI 2.1. The TV I was going to get was the Vizio P Series Quantum X that has HDMI 2.1. However this TV and many other new TV's this year that have HDMI 2.1 inputs only put 2 inputs that can do HDMI 2.1. Also many of the newer tv's put the eARC HDMI output on one of the HDMI 2.1 inputs. Here is the issue with that if you have both a PS5 and Xbox Series X and want to use earc you could only have one of the consoles hooked up to a HDMI 2.1 input. You would have to buy a new receiver that has HDMI 2.1 inputs. Also I wanted to buy a sharc eARC adapter so I could keep my current receiver since my receiver can Dolby Atmos. I would have to buy a new receiver that had extra HDMI 2.1 inputs like the new Yamaha and Denon receivers. I prefer Onkyo but they have not released their new receivers with HDMI 2.1 yet. People should be think what type of A/V set up you have before you get a new TV for the next gen consoles.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Samsung TV range only has one, so you're not doing too badly.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
How many TVs support 2.1? There is your answer. You are buying new tech. Give it time and be happy you have two.

National Scar

Oct 27, 2017
Manufacturers probably figure that the only people who would actually care about having more than 2 devices plugged in at one time are going to buy receivers anyway.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
2 HDMI 2.1 on my X900H. Anaway the only thing i will connect will be Ps5 + earc so.... I don't see any problem. But next year T.V. all port will be 2.1, i'm pretty sure.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
LG is great about making sure all their HDMI inputs are top notch. I currently have a C7 but will definitely upgrade to a CX or C11 next year.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How many TVs support 2.1? There is your answer. You are buying new tech. Give it time and be happy you have two.
Yup. a 800 bucks and I think even 1600 buck denon reciever only has 1 HDMI 2.1 input port. im not buying a tv until maybe next year or the year after when 2.1 is standard.

Afaik there aren't any HDMI 2.1 splitters or switches yet. I've spoken to a few companies that have plans on releasing some, but no ETA on when.
Yeah I was looking the other day there arent any and when they drop are gonna be expensive as fuck.

dseed

Oct 27, 2017
The new vizio tv's have the earc port on hdmi 1 while the hdmi 2.1 's are 3 and 4 so you should be ok.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
insane how slowly the Home Theater industry moves. But I guess if they only put two ports on the TV this year they can't get people to upgrade to one with 4 ports next year!

nss

Apr 10, 2018
My LG CX has 4 along with 3 USB ports. Feels so luxurious.
I just bought one, waiting for the store to get it in so i can pick it up. Upgrading from a 10 year old 1080p set (which has been an absolutely incredible TV, that even just last week I had friends complimenting it, thinking it was a relatively new tv)

Super excited for the upgrade.

Anybody actually know of certified HDMI 2.1 cables that are 15 feet long or longer, as I want to run my future PC to the TV, but I'm having trouble finding legitimate 2.1 cables that are lengthy.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do they cost more to manufacture? I'd like to know if there's a reason why not all of the HDMI ports are 2.1.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
as tempting as the new stuff with HDMI 2.1 brings is (4k120, VRR, etc.) I'm gonna wait until next year at the earliest to upgrade from my KS8000 since it seems like every 2020 TV has a compromise in someway

either they don't have more than 1-2 HDMI 2.1 inputs or they aren't full bandwidth :-/ and I want my next TV to be able to last me the whole generation preferably without compromise

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Going from a TV that had one HDMI 2.0 port to four was so nice. When I get my next TV in a couple years I'll have to make sure whatever the new standard is can be found on all of them. Not having full bandwidth every port suuuuuuucked.

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a CX, but haven't received it yet. My reciever is a few years old Yamaha. My current tv is a several year old panasonic plasma. Everything works fine audio wise with my setup. Will the hdmi 2.1 change or mess anything up? I will have xbox and PS plus cable box and wireless headphones plugged in.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Uh some only have one and even the high end hdmi 2.1 receivers coming out still only have 1. Lol