• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
When I approach a new TV series the first thing I try to check is understanding if the series is "complete" or if it has been cut (canceled without a proper ending). Because watching a series and discovering that we may never see a proper ending is soooo bad.

So I was wondering if a thread about this may be useful here: you may list series and for each of them indicate if they are complete (i.e. the story is more or less wrapped up) or not.

I know in certain cases it is debatable: for instance, I liked Threshold and when the series was canceled at the very first season the writers glued some kind of ending to it which... kinda worked. Yet, it was considered as "completed", so in cases like this a NO SPOILERISH explaination would be useful.

While, for instance, I consider Battlestar Galactica (the reimagining), Taken and Breaking Bad as fully completed series.

If you list series in this thread, please:
- Write the series title properly and highlight it in bold, avoiding abbreviations or acronyms. So "How I meet your mother" and not "HIMYM". So that people may easily search of a series in this thread.
- Avoid spoilers.
- No, really, avoid spoilers. If you write an open spoiler in this thread the CurseBot will apply a very bad atzec curse on you. If you have to discuss an ending (or an "ending") use the Spoiler tag.
- This is not a plot discussion thread or, in general, a discussion thread about series, so please stick to the "I wonder if this series is complete or not" thing here and discuss a specific series in a proper thread.
- Of course, ongoing series are neither complete nor "cut", they are just "ongoing" and should not listed here (if you list them as "ongoing" then you should later update this and the thread become a mess...). So, just add serie that actually ended, in a way or another.
. Anthologic Series such as "Black Mirror" or recursive series like American Horror Story (in which every season is a self contained story) are always considered "Complete", unless drastically "cut" in the middle of a story arc.

I guess that's it. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
My list:
- Taken - Complete
- Breaking Bad - Complete (+ the Netflix El Camino movie as a complement)
- Battlestar Galactica (2003) - Complete
- The Lost Room - Complete
- A Game of Thrones - Complete (+ incoming spin-off series)
- Warehouse 13 - Complete
- Penny Dreadful - Complete (next series, Penny Dreadful - City of Angels is a different series)
- Threshold - "Complete": canceled at the end of the 1st season, the writers places some kind of "ending" which does not completely close the narrative lines.
- Bojack Horseman - Complete.
- Band of Brothers - Complete.

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Better Call Saul - season 5 finale airs on AMC next Monday. Season 6 will be the last season, but from my own conjecture/anxiety, I'm worried that this will be delayed due to covid. You know, focusing on the things that matter to try and stay sane here

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
-Mad Men- Complete. highly recommended.
-Halt and Catch Fire- Complete
-Mindhunter- two seasons and the creator doesn't want to do more. not so many hanging threads, so worth watching- edit- badly phrased but bascially no more seasons coming anytime soon so more or less ended for the forseeable future. still excellent show.
-Watchmen- One season only but wraps up well enough
-Boardwalk Empire- Complete
-The Sopranos - complete
-Agents of Shield- About to air its final season but production's ended.
-Agent Carter- my favourite comic book based series only lasted two seasons. not too much left up in the air.

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
-Mindhunter- two seasons and the creator doesn't want to do more. not so many hanging threads, so worth watching
Fincher said he does want to do three more seasons, but can't as he is too busy. I'm not holding out for anything to come tbh, but it's not like he doesn't want to do it.
Still worth watching, easily the best thing on Netflix atm imo.

- Chernobyl - Miniseries, one season, highly recommended
- True Detective - Anthology series, each season is independent, first season is highly recommended

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
-The Sopranos - complete

Gotta disagree here in a traditional sense. That show is not complete, we have no clue how it ends.
But the way they ended it makes it even more complete for me.

In the last couple of episodes they hint at both an FBI indictment coming and we don't know what the dude in the grey jacket is up to. The one that stares at Tony's table and goes into the bathroom.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
-Mindhunter- two seasons and the creator doesn't want to do more. not so many hanging threads, so worth watching
Hmm? Has Fincher implied this somewhere? I just thought he has other engagements in the form of one or two movie projects with intent to return to do more Mindhunter in the future, once those are done?

Gozan

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the horror series have single season arcs, with a new story each season:
The Terror
The Haunting of Hill House
American Horror Story

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Hmm? Has Fincher implied this somewhere? I just thought he has other engagements in the form of one or two movie projects with intent to return to do more Mindhunter in the future, once those are done?
Yeah, I don't think Fincher has abandoned Mindhunter because he didn't like it. He's just tied up elsewhere.

Also I dispute that the first two seasons aren't worth watching as a consequence of the current hiatus. They're both brilliant.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta disagree here in a traditional sense. That show is not complete, we have no clue how it ends.

In the last couple of episodes they hint at both an FBI indictment coming and we don't know what the dude in the grey jacket is up to. The one that stares at Tony's table and goes into the bathroom.

That ending for The Sopranos is PERFECT.

We do not know that that man was about to do in the bathroom and that's the point. This is how Tony will live from that point on: in constant fear of the people around him and in continuous paranoia.

So, for me it is really "complete".

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

no, sopranos is complete in the traditional sense. it ended how they wanted it to end and it wasn't cancelled. complete doesn't mean you have to know how it ends.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Sopranos is complete. How you interpret the finale is up to you.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Only listing completed series is the easy way out. We can't escape this thread without opening some old wounds.
  • Journeyman (2007, NBC) Cut :(
  • Awake (2012, NBC) Cut. :( There is a half ending but...cut
  • Daybreak (2006, ABC) Cut
  • Rubicon (2010, AMC) Cut :( Okay this is starting to get painful
  • Deadwood (2004, HBO) Cut...and then revived in 2019 with a finale movie
EDIT: Carn ughhhhhhh, I'm editing it in because this is such a bloodbath already

• Firefly (2002, FOX) Cut, then brought back with a film movie, still dead somehow

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Only listing completed series is the easy way out. We can't escape this thread without opening some old wounds.
  • Journeyman (2007, NBC) Cut :(
  • Awake (2012, NBC) Cut. :( There is a half ending but...cut
  • Daybreak (2006, ABC) Cut
  • Rubicon (2010, AMC) Cut :( Okay this is starting to get painful
  • Deadwood (2004, HBO) Cut...and then revived in 2019 with a finale movie

Firefly :o

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
- Travelers - Complete. It could continue on from the finale but as far as what the show has established so far, it is complete.
- Glitch - Complete.
- Daybreak - Complete. The finale hint at a new story angle for next season, but for the season's arc it was very much completed.
- iZombie - Complete

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Psych-Complete but they're still doing the occasional movie
Leverage- Complete
The Good Place- Complete
Parks and Recreation- Complete...twice
30 Rock- Complete

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Justified: Complete. Extremely satisfying ending. An absolutely awesome show that everyone should see.

Sons of Anarchy: Complete. I liked it until the end but people here disagree.

The Shield: Complete. One of the best shows ever.

Veronica Mars: Sorta kinda complete? It got three seasons and then canceled, but then had a Kickstarted backed movie and then a Hulu mini-series. But it's a great show and each season has a new main story that gets wrapped up.

Gilmore Girls: Complete. Ended but was brought back for a Netflix mini-series.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A bunch of Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Superhero ones from memory

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Complete
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Complete
Star Trek: Voyager - Complete
Star Trek: Enterprise - Complete
Stargate SG-1 - Complete
Stargate Atlantis - Complete
Stargate Universe - Both incomplete but complete. Cancelled but with enough time to write some form of ending
Killjoys - Complete
Dark Matter - Incomplete - Got cancelled without any ending
Arrow - Complete
Alphas - Incomplete
Eureka (A Town Called Eureka) - Complete
Being Human - Complete
Continuum - Complete
Defiance - Cancelled but somewhat complete
The 100 - Complete (though awaiting final season to air)
Marvel's Cloak & Dagger - Cancelled but with an acceptable ending
Marvel's Runaways - Cancelled but with an acceptable ending
Marvel Daredevil - Cancelled but with an acceptable ending
Marvel Jessica Jones - Cancelled but with an acceptable ending
Marvel Luke Cage - Cancelled and incomplete
Marvel Iron Fist - Cancelled and incomplete
Marvel Punisher - Cancelled and incomplete
Merlin - Complete
Atlantis (UK) - Cancelled and incomplete
Smallville - Complete

Avaran

Oct 26, 2017
Babylon 5: Complete
Stargate SG-1: Complete by two ending movies
Stargate Atlantis: Complete, if a bit open-ended
Farscape: Complete with miniseries after cancellation

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Braindead - Complete, single season, but left open for a 2nd
Galavant - Complete, 2 seasons. Still want a 3rd season
People of Earth - Unfinished, 2 seasons. Cancelled, uncancelled, cancelled
Daybreak - complete, 1 season - well worth watching
Harpers Island - Complete, 1 season - Creators only ever intended a single season. Murder mystery on an island, guess the killer, don't look up the reveal
Farscape - Complete 4 seasons+2 part miniseries/wrapup.
Travelers - Complete 3 seasons. Left open for a 4th, but wrapped nicely.
Preson of Interest - Complete, 4 seasons (I think). Felt complete.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
A bunch of Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Superhero ones from memory

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Complete
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Complete
Star Trek: Voyager - Complete
Star Trek: Enterprise - Complete
Stargate SG-1 - Complete
Stargate Atlantis - Complete
Stargate Universe - Both incomplete but complete. Cancelled but with enough time to write some form of ending
Killjoys - Complete
Dark Matter - Incomplete - Got cancelled without any ending
Arrow - Complete
Alphas - Incomplete
Eureka (A Town Called Eureka) - Complete
Being Human - Complete
Continuum - Complete
Defiance - Cancelled but somewhat complete
The 100 - Complete (though awaiting final season to air)
Marvel's Cloak & Dagger - Cancelled but with an acceptable ending
Marvel's Runaways - Cancelled but with an acceptable ending
Marvel Daredevil - Cancelled but with an acceptable ending
Marvel Jessica Jones - Cancelled but with an acceptable ending
Marvel Luke Cage - Cancelled and incomplete
Marvel Iron Fist - Cancelled and incomplete
Marvel Punisher - Cancelled and incomplete
Merlin - Complete
Atlantis (UK) - Cancelled and incomplete
Smallville - Complete

I miss most of these shows, except Atlantis(UK).

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
As long as Better Call Saul is running, I wouldn't consider Breaking Bad completed as it directly expands on the show and even continue it, I consider that story still ongoing.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I miss most of these shows, except Atlantis(UK).
Same

But most of them ended in a solid way, either intentionally or not. Take Marvel's Runaways. It got cancelled but they managed to actually have a really solid ending.

I just hate how so many shows just get ended with the writers having planned a cliffhanger between the last series and the series that will never be

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes - Complete. I chose this one to post because interestingly, the ending to the show was thought out and decided before they knew when the show would end. While it was cancelled after the third season, the story is all wrapped up, and the final episode puts a bow on it that feels like a definitive "This is the end. There is no show past here.". The show's creator, Ian Jones Quartey, has said that he'd work on more K.O. if given the chance, so it's curious how conclusive the end feels. I don't want to go into details, but the final episode is maybe one of the best conclusions of any slightly story-based cartoon that I've seen. It's incredibly bittersweet and kind of evokes a weird sense of existential dread?

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes - Complete. I chose this one to post because interestingly, the ending to the show was thought out and decided before they knew when the show would end. While it was cancelled after the third season, the story is all wrapped up, and the final episode puts a bow on it that feels like a definitive "This is the end. There is no show past here.". The show's creator, Ian Jones Quartey, has said that he'd work on more K.O. if given the chance, so it's curious how conclusive the end feels. I don't want to go into details, but the final episode is maybe one of the best conclusions of any slightly story-based cartoon that I've seen. It's incredibly bittersweet and kind of evokes a weird sense of existential dread?
the show was actually cancelled before they knew it would end, so S3 would be a normal season. But it got cancelled really early on so they asked CN to let them go back and change the last episodes to be the ending they planned. CN gave them the green light

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All shows get canceled. Even the "complete" ones. Just a matter if whether the creatives knew it was coming or not.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the show was actually cancelled before they knew it would end, so S3 would be a normal season. But it got cancelled really early on so they asked CN to let them go back and change the last episodes to be the ending they planned. CN gave them the green light

Interesting. I thought I remembered IJQ back when Season 2 was airing say on a podcast that they knew the ending. I figure Season 3 was obviously shortened and so it's pretty much mostly story, but I wonder how different the actual ending episode was, because I can't see it being too different than if Season 3 was 20 episodes longer.

Edit: Or I misread your post? That's kind of what I said tho lol

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. I thought I remembered IJQ back when Season 2 was airing say on a podcast that they knew the ending. I figure Season 3 was obviously shortened and so it's pretty much mostly story, but I wonder how different the actual ending episode was, because I can't see it being too different than if Season 3 was 20 episodes longer.

Edit: Or I misread your post? That's kind of what I said tho lol
They did do the planning end. they just did it earlier than planned. It was supossed to have more adventures lol. I just wanted to share the additional curious info of they changing the seasons plans already in production

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar: The Last Airbender - Completed in 2008 with its third season, continued in...
The Legend of Korra - Completed in 2014 with its fourth season. For sale: Makorra bottles, never popped
Arrested Development - Sort of unclear. It was cancelled prematurely after three seasons in 2006, then resurrected by Netflix in 2013, with a fifth season split over two parts in 2018 and 2019. This last season was panned and the difficulty in getting the cast together makes it seem like this might be the end, but it has not been confirmed
Community - Completed in 2015 with its sixth season after previously being cancelled. Persistent petitions for a movie continuation seem likely to happen at some point, hopefully
Person of Interest - Completed in 2015 with its fifth season. I don't believe they intended to end it here, but were given the heads-up in advance that they would not receive another season, so they compacted the remaining storyline to fit into one season and it worked pretty well for the most part
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Cancelled prematurely in 2013, now resurrected by Disney+ for a final season that will end next month. A number of planned episodes remain unmade, but the primary storyline will be concluded in these final episodes
Star Wars Rebels - Completed in 2018 with its fourth season
The 100 - Ending in 2020 with its seventh season. It's not clear if this was always planned to be the end or if they were given an ultimatum by the network; the fifth season ended with the confusing phrase "End of Book 1" which would seem to imply there were several more "books" planned at the time, and not just two more seasons
The Good Place - Completed in 2020 with its fourth season
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - Ending in 2020 with its fifth season, which will complete the storyline
American Vandal - Cancelled in 2018 after two seasons. This show was more of an anthology thing, so it didn't need a third season, but it was funny and interesting and should have received one
Galavant - Cancelled prematurely in 2016 after two seasons. Some storylines were left unfinished, but this show was always one breath away from cancellation and knew it, so they had the forethought to end most of the major plot points and it's still worth watching

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Carnivale - Compleeeee... and I'm sad again. Do NOT watch.
The Knick - Complete. For real this time. But I'm sad again. Do NOT watch.
Banshee - Complete. Awesome. Do NOT watch season 4.

- Penny Dreadful - Complete

I would disagree here.
Technically, yes.
But in the spirit of the law? Rushed ending, no payoffs, and I'm mad again.

Justified: Complete. Extremely satisfying ending. An absolutely awesome show that everyone should see.

Yep. Nothing to get mad about here. Season 5 is bad, but season 1 through 4, and season 6 are great. Season 2 is actually perfect.

Sons of Anarchy: Complete. I liked it until the end but people here disagree.

Yeah, I'm part of the disagreers. Season 2 is great, season 4 is very good. As for the other five seasons? Hum...

The Shield: Complete. One of the best shows ever.

Agreed. Almost each season is better than the previous one (I would argue only seasons 4 and 6 break the rule). And my favorite ending of all time.

Black Sails - complete, awesome and underrated

Amazing show. I wouldn't say underrated (because everybody who watched it loved it), but more unknown.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
All shows get canceled. Even the "complete" ones. Just a matter if whether the creatives knew it was coming or not.
This isn't true. Plenty of series that have (somewhat) planned ends. Something like Babylon 5 was always planned to be five seasons & structured like a book series with a definitive end, though early cancellation scares made them wrap up some storylines in season 4 already since a fifth season was so uncertain.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
Twin Peaks: Complete (?) - we may or may not get a continuation, and each continuation will probably end on another weird cliffhanger. Absolutely worth watching.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The Wire is 100 percent complete and 100 percent one of the best TV shows ever.
More like 80% best show ever. The final season was kinda crap. Like, I can see what they were going for but they failed the execution sooooo bad. Not horrible but for a series so incredible for four seasons, the fifth one just didn't work, outside of a few minor story arcs.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I saw Six Feet Under listed. It's complete and one of the most underrated shows ever in my opinion. It's sooooo good! And it's got a phenomenal last five minutes or so!

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
When I approach a new TV series the first thing I try to check is understanding if the series is "complete" or if it has been cut (canceled without a proper ending). Because watching a series and discovering that we may never see
It's so frustrating to start reading an OP and then realize later on that it's not "complete". I wish people would just label their threads incomplete to save me the trouble of checking myself.