• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thursday, 3
Raised by Wolves - HBO MAX
As someone who greatly enjoyed both Prometheus and Alien Covenant, I can't wait for this.

Friday, 4
The Boys - Amazon
Highlight of the month. Season 1 came out of nowhere and was a blast. Can't wait to see what Aya Cash brings to the table.

Monday, 7
We Bare Bears The Movie - Cartoon Network - 6/5c
Been waiting for ages to see the finale of this beautiful, joyful show. Can't wait.

Sunday, 13
Tigtone - Adult Swim - 12/11c
Season one was a big, loud, stupid blast. Bring it on.

Monday, 14
The Third Day - HBO - 9/8c
His Holiness himself returns. Looks weird.

We Are Who We Are - HBO - 10/9c
Interesting premise. This year's Euphoria? Luca Guadagnino on TV is my jam... I should really check out his Suspiria remake (or whatever it is).

Wednesday, 16
Archer - FXX - 10/9c
Eh. This show has been near-unwatchable for years. Let's hope this post-coma season is like the early pre-coma seasons. I'm not optimistic.

Friday, 18
(Ratched - Netflix)
Trailer didn't do much for me and Ryan Murphy can be really uneven. If reviews are great I might check it out.
Art in the Twenty First Century - PBS - 10/9c

Monday, 21
(Filthy Rich - Fox - 9/8c)
Dunno. Doesn't look like it'll be my thing but I'll try an episode. Maybe.

Sunday, 27
The Simpsons - Fox - 8/7c
Bless the Harts - Fox - 8:30/7:30c
Bob's Burgers - Fox - 9/8c
Family Guy - Fox - 9:30/8:30c
Obligation.

Fargo - FX - 10/9c
FINALLY.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Just Pen15 and Filthy Rich. The latter is almost guaranteed to get cancelled, but I liked to support Kim Cattrall when I can. It's been way too long since the Canadian remake of Sensitive Skin ended!

Was glad to find Search Party on Max this past month; I wouldn't have given it a chance on TBS, but lo and behold, it's actually pretty good.

Quake1028

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try:

Raised by Wolves - HBO MAX
Young Wallander - Netflix
Woke - Hulu
The Third Day - HBO - 9/8c
Sneakerheads - Netflix
Tehran - Apple TV+

Super excited for The Boys.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing my recent trend of watching shows I passed on originally I just finished The Morning Show S1. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. The plot won't blow anyone away with intricacy and surprise, but the writing and acting I found to be quite good. Good enough to carry the show and be something I'm looking forward to seeing more of.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watch PEN15? Does it get better after the first episode? Really wasn't feeling it.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up The Little Drummer Girl (BBC/AMC) yesterday. What a fantastic mini-series that rewards the viewer's patience. Excellent acting (though some accents were iffy), a methodical plot with an interesting setting, and some of the best TV visuals and direction I've ever seen thanks to Park Chan-wook. Not for the easily-bored crowd.

Watching La Haine tonight, and them I'm starting on The Bureau.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
AWAY on Netflix is pretty good so far. Its basically all the recent space movies all rolled up into one series lol.

Think im going to check out Young Wallander next.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished watching F is for Family Season 4 on Netflix. Another good season, with some growth for Frank and Kevin. Hope it comes back for another season.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Power Book II: Ghost

So yeah, this is literally just Power season 7. The series opens with a "Previously On..." segment recapping season 6 of Power, the opening credit song is the same and also uses the same visual format, and like half the characters and storylines are from Power as well.

It's nice that there's such a strong continuity of events since I know a number of people were disappointed with the way things turned out in the series finale of Power, but I hope the show can carve out its own identity before too long.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Saw the first two episodes of The Bureau yesterday and I already know this'll be my jam. I'm a sucker for hyper-realism and excellent acting, and the semi-topical story of maladjusted spies and agents is always alluring. Definitely a show I'll keep watching.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Power Book II: Ghost

So yeah, this is literally just Power season 7. The series opens with a "Previously On..." segment recapping season 6 of Power, the opening credit song is the same and also uses the same visual format, and like half the characters and storylines are from Power as well.

It's nice that there's such a strong continuity of events since I know a number of people were disappointed with the way things turned out in the series finale of Power, but I hope the show can carve out its own identity before too long.
I'm going to give it a shot at least, but I'm pretty skeptical just due to the fact that the characters remaining for this show are mostly ones I don't particularly like. Hopefully the new characters introduced can revitalize it.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Watched the first episode of PEN15 - definitely captures that awkward middle school vibe they seem to be going for. Seems like it could fill a Broad City type void in my rotation.

4 episodes into Succession and I definitely view the show as an hour long comedy so far.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I finally started watching Lovecraft Country, re-watched kingdom and will start raised by wolves soon.

Quake1028

Oct 25, 2017
Someone recommend a show, please. I have access to every streaming service.

My wife and I have recently watched these, and loved all of them:

Mindhunter (Seasons 1 & 2)
Manhunt: Unabomber
Unbelievable

Where would you go from here? I suggested The Americans as our next show, wife doesn't seem interested right now. Looking for something with the vibe of the shows above.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Unbelievable

Where would you go from here? I suggested The Americans as our next show, wife doesn't seem interested right now. Looking for something with the vibe of the shows above.
The Americans is leagues better than all three of those shows and is a masterpiece whose quality never wanes throughout its run. Convince the wife.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

My favourite thing right now, not watching anything else.

52club

Oct 27, 2017

Unbelievable

Narcos
Ozark
Defending Jacob (apple tv)
The Wire (hbo)
Tiger King
Dirty Money

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Unbelievable

Check out Alias Grace on Netflix or The Alienist. If you dont mind them being set in the early 1900s.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Unbelievable

Luther, stars Idris Elba.

Sherlock, with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Broadchurch (UK original). S1 is best, S3 is good, you can skip S2 which is basically a long boring epilogue to S1.

The Missing (BBC/Starz). S1 is best.

The Fall, stars Gillian Anderson. Drags a bit towards the end though.

The Americans is fantastic, but it's a big time investment compared to all the above.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Oh man my wife is going to be so annoyed. We adored the first season and have been in anticipation of this since we marathoned Hill House. However, my wife has a thing about toys coming to life, especially dolls. She watched Childs Play at a formative age and it messed her up.
Don't show her this...

"Around the end of January 2019, I saw on the facebook market place that my sister was selling a porcelain doll. My friend, Kevin, who I would like to credit, is actually the one who came up with the idea for the prank. My daughter used her backpack to smuggle it into the house. She distracted her Aunty for me while I went down to the basement to place the doll and write the message on the wall. I thought that her reaction would be confusion, but then she screamed and ran, scaring my daughter too. She did get really mad at me, but she does think it's funny now."

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I somehow completely missed all the marketing for Alias Grace. Finished the Handmaid's Tale and was looking to see if any other Atwood novels had been adapted and found Alias Grace and thought it looked neat. I enjoyed it so much though that I bought the book to read too lol.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that Atwood's best novels (the MaddAddam trilogy) are probably too weird to be adapted to television effectively.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017

Unbelievable

Watch the French TV show "The Bureau" if you have access to it. I almost finished season 1 now and it's brutally amazing.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Hey hi! Just discovered this thread! I was looking for a place to discuss this:

Is anybody watching The Duchess on Netflix? It's a new show with/by Katherine Ryan. I don't know yet what kind of shows people in this thread like, but this thing is hilarious! I just finished episode 2 (today is a Netflix day...) The writing is so great, so funny.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Is anybody watching The Duchess on Netflix? It's a new show with/by Katherine Ryan. I don't know yet what kind of shows people in this thread like, but this thing is hilarious! I just finished episode 2 (today is a Netflix day...) The writing is so great, so funny.

You're the first person I've seen talk about it (critics included)!

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
You're the first person I've seen talk about it (critics included)!

It's really good. But you do need to like Katherine Ryan's style of comedy.

I think the writing really is great. It makes me think of Fleabag a bit (a tiny, tiny, tiny bit – nobody should get too excited here, lol!) And it's pretty short so it doesn't overstay its welcome, it's only 6 episodes between 20 and 30 minutes each.

Oct 28, 2017

I'm excited to watch it. Didn't even realize it was out.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It's really good. But you do need to like Katherine Ryan's style of comedy.

I think the writing really is great. It makes me think of Fleabag a bit (a tiny, tiny, tiny bit – nobody should get too excited here, lol!) And it's pretty short so it doesn't overstay its welcome, it's only 6 episodes between 20 and 30 minutes each.

I might have to check it out then, thanks! It's short enough that even if I don't like it I can just plow through so I can add it to my 52 list.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Just found this thread and am pretty excited to read through it. I was surprised to not see much about Woke on Hulu, so I thought I'd post. I just watched the first episode (didn't know anything about it or Keith Knight). First ep has me impressed. Funny, affecting drama, well shot and acted, and of course very topical.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting on Raised by Wolves and it's not available on any streaming platform here in the Nordics because HBO Nordic is waiting on the freaking rights to transfer that HBO Max. All of them but Netflix are so incompetent around here.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Man, For All Mankind hits pretty hard at times. Only a couple episodes left in the season - glad it's been renewed.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth watching? There are so many space TV shows lately... Is this one good?
I'm enjoying it quite a lot. It's a little more grounded than I think alt history tends to be, and it manages to do a good job of putting focus on the characters instead of just "you know that thing that happened? It's that but different!" I can't necessarily tell you how it measures up to other space shows as the only other one I watched lately was Space Force which is...a very different (and definitely not as good lol) show.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For All Mankind is Mad Men at NASA... until it isn't. Starts uneven but improves as it goes.