• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The Duchess on Netflix was pretty fun. The main thing I didn't like was the way it ended. Generally, in order for shows where the main characters are awful people to work, the writing needs to recognize their awfulness and not sympathize with them but

after Evan rightfully tells everyone off at the wedding, the writers for some reason decided that it was a good idea to give Katherine permission to scold him on how awful he's been despite the fact that he was treated despicably all season long. The season then ends with "Dancing on My Own" triumphantly playing over a montage of Katherine giving birth to her second baby.

This was NOT the appropriate ending for Katherine...at all.

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Now that The Boys are done, and I watched Bly Manor time to start Mr. Robot.

I looked awhile back and saw that season 4 wasn't free, but now it is.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished Season 1 of PEN15 on Hulu. Really fills that Broad City void in my rotation, I could almost imagine Abby/Ilana acting the same way that Maya/Anna do in 7th grade. They both do a great job acting as middle school kids. The silly elements work really well, but when they do get serious sometimes I think it works just as well.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Soulmates ep 2 - Cool seeing Gale from Breaking Bad as the main guy. Liked the darker edge of the story. Would be cool to have more info on the Soulmates concept as a whole and why people would be willing to risk so much for a scientific test/how exactly they determine it. Especially if you have a solid life.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure any concrete explanations of the process would be satisfying enough - I think it works better as a sort of metaphor.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
While waiting to finish up The Third day (really great so far but with the high risk of shitting the bed in the final episode) and Lovecraft Country (highly uneven and average show, but quite silly entertainment) I've passed my time with two shows:

- Castle Rock: Finished the two seasons the last two weeks. Each season is damn good shit up until their respective final episodes, where they simply fuck everything up. The first season ender was at least passable despite them leaving too much on the table and doing Sissy Spacek dirty, but the final episode of season 2, and of the series at large by the look of it... ooof. Probably the worst crap I've seen in a long, long time. And talk about fucking up its characters and the plotlines developed throughout the entire season. They did Nadia and Abdi dirty, big-time. And the forced Misery connection fucking suuuuuuucked.
- The Bureau: Watched the first two episodes of season 5 yesterday and the show continues to be fantastic. Probably a top 5 TV show ever, in my book.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, looking at the reviews for Helstrom made me less interested in checking it out. Especially when it seems that the main critique is that it doesn't do anything interesting and there are other shows that occupy a similar space and are better.

Still making my way through Avatar Season 2 and Succession Season 1, so I'll probably focus on them.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Soulmates Ep 3 - Cool seeing Georgina Campbell - was in one of my favorite Black Mirror episodes. This one reminded me more of ep 1, than ep 2.

Caught up with the Bob's Burger's premiere from a few weeks back, really funny start.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Pandora and the Outpost(I like them,sue me ;P )
War of the Worlds,Trickster,The Sounds(CBC shows.)
Supernatural.
Brave New World.
Star trek Discovery.
Tell Me A story.
Soulmates,The Third Day.
Fear TWD and TWD Beyond.
The Good Lord Bird.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Grand Army was interesting at least, seems like they were trying to do a little too much though.

52club

Oct 27, 2017

Thought this was pretty well done...and kind of shows the start of where we are today.

Knight77

Oct 25, 2017
Not as bad as the reviews say but def skippable. I like the sisters look "keeping up your negal look" lmao

I'm giving it a shot, just watched the first episode, but I also started Evil (the CBS one) and well... feel like it's the same themes in both, just in different way.
Helstrom felt nice but a bit cheap in production and content, Evil a bit better but I feel it won't go as dark as it should or anyway cross any line based on the channel it comes from. Just some general opinion based on the first episodes of both.

Meanwhile I started and finished all the three seasons of A.P. Bio and guys it's a gem. Definitely worth watching!

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished Season 1 of Succession. I enjoyed it, but maybe didn't love it as much as some critics seem to. Biggest takeaway is just how much of a comedy it is, as that aspect really carried the show for me as opposed to the dramatic elements. Cousin Greg is my favorite character and Jeremy Strong is a really good actor. Will probably catch up on some other stuff, before diving into Season 2 which I hear is better than Season 1.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm looking forward to Queen's Gambit. Just started Young Wallander and COBRA though (both had good starts), and I plan to start Haunting of Bly Manor tonight since it's Halloween.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Have not enjoyed "The Queen's Gambit" at all. The characters are extremely dull and it's laden with cliches and the type of standard plotting we've all seen a million times. Not sure why "the adventures of chess robot" is getting the praise it is, to be quite honest. It's shot well and the actors do the best they can with the meager material they've been given, I suppose. I'm also not a fan of chess in any way, shape, or form, and nothing could make two people playing it exciting no matter how it's shot, especially when there are barely any stakes (or stakes I'm invested in). Have 2 episodes left, I think. I hope.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, The Queen's Gambit is fucking great.
It's absolutely fantastic. I went in knowing nothing except that Anya Taylor-Joy was the lead and it sucked me right in. Turns out, not only is she great in it, but the whole cast is amazing.

The direction, cinematography, and overall design is just spot-on as well.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Away on Netflix, what a snooze. It's ten eps long, and less happens than in the Apollo 11 movie or The Martian. Way too much boring Earth family stuff that goes nowhere.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished "The Queen's Gambit," and I very much encourage anyone who thinks the lead to be "robotic" (I have seen this criticism) to finish the series. It saves itself. Just finish it if you started it.

Edit: It's pretty much the best TV we will get this year. Anya Taylor-Joy is better than we deserve. I've never seen a character grow on screen like this.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished Betty Season 1 on HBO. Some great camerawork, especially during all the skating scenes. Creates a great vibe and that worked more for me, than some of the relationship drama.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed The queens gambit. The only thing that bothered me was the main character looked like someone I've seen before but couldnt put my finger on it. She looks like a mix of Summer Glau and Lindsey lohan.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Caught up on a lot while on paternity leave:

The Boys
Harley Quinn
Close Enough
Lovecraft Country

really loved all 4. Starting Young Justice: Outsiders now.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Finished Betty Season 1 on HBO. Some great camerawork, especially during all the skating scenes. Creates a great vibe and that worked more for me, than some of the relationship drama.

I love Betty so much! If you liked the show, I highly recommend watching the Skate Kitchen movie.

Both Skate Kitchen and Betty were done by the same director, Crystal Moselle, and Betty is kind of a reboot of Skate Kitchen in series form. It's the same characters with (mostly) the same personalities, but in completely different circumstances. I think both the series and the movie are spectacular!

Fun fact: this whole project was born by Crystal Moselle meeting this group of girls completely by chance while riding the New York subway. She immediately wanted to do a project with/about them. It began with the short movie That One Day, later the Skate Kitchen movie, and then this year the Betty series.

I'll link the short movie here if you're interested:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I love Betty so much! If you liked the show, I highly recommend watching the Skate Kitchen movie.

Both Skate Kitchen and Betty were done by the same director, Crystal Moselle, and Betty is kind of a reboot of Skate Kitchen in series form. It's the same characters with (mostly) the same personalities, but in completely different circumstances. I think both the series and the movie are spectacular!

Fun fact: this whole project was born by Crystal Moselle meeting this group of girls completely by chance while riding the New York subway. She immediately wanted to do a project with/about them. It began with the short movie That One Day, later the Skate Kitchen movie, and then this year the Betty series.

I'll link the short movie here if you're interested:

Thanks for sharing, will have to check it out sometime.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I hope something happens soon in Bly Manor, because in the first two eps of about 1h 50m, nothing has so far.

Aug 7, 2019
Series Getting Screen-time in October: 13

The Walking Dead/Talking Dead (Beta Death/Season Finales Month)

Ben 10 (Movie and Season Finale Before 3 More Final Movies Month)

Teen Titans Go

Total DramaRama (Carvin Marvin/Tubas and Macaws/Courtney's Mom Month)

DuckTales (FOWL Expose Themselves Month)

Amphibia (Halloween Stories With Humanized Frogs Month)

Raven's Home (Season Premiere Month)

Spongebob (Technical Season 13 Premiere Month)

The Simpsons

Family Guy

The Amazing Race (Season Premiere Month)

Big Brother 22 (David Alexander Eviction Which Handed Nicole F Memphis' Head on a Platter Month)

November 2020: 2

South Park

Animaniacs

December 2020: 3

Pokemon Journeys

American Dad

Doctor Who

Maybe Before 2020 Ends: 1

Search Party

2021: 9

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

Stargirl

Harley Quinn

Close Enough

Love Life

My Hero Academia

Miraculous Ladybug

Better Call Saul

Survivor

On the Bubble: 2

Glitch Techs

Infinity Train

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
After finishing all 5 seasons of "The Bureau" - watch it people, one of the GOATs! - I finally started watching The Sinner season 3 since it started airing now in Sweden. With three episodes available at the moment, the show's great as always, but the case is much more low-key than the previous two seasons and I don't know exactly how I feel about it yet. Bill Pullman is a national treasure.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
re: Soulmates episode 4

Bill SkarsgƄrd and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett could totally carry their own show

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I finished The Queen's Gambit yesterday evening. Wow, what a great show! Anya Taylor-Joy was awesome. I loved following the life of this character, it was fascinating! The Limited Series format worked really well for this kind of story I think.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished Avatar Season 2. Still continue to be impressed by how well they blend action, humor, and heart for a kid's show.

About halfway through Lucifer Season 1, will probably finish it soon.

A couple episodes into Search Party, so far it's kinda funny but the mystery angle is intriguing.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Woman in White (2018 miniseries) on PBS. As a mystery novel fan I was recommended this years ago but never got around to it. I saw it popped up on PBS Passport and thought great, even better, a slickly produced adaptation of it.

The first of three episodes down, it's pretty good so far.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn, got a Netflix email about Suburra season 3 being available today out of fucking nowhere. Woo! Saw the first episode and it was pretty good; it was such a direct continuation of season 2 I had a hard time following it since I don't remember many specifics. Also ended very surprisingly, to say the least.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The Woman in White (2018 miniseries) on PBS. As a mystery novel fan I was recommended this years ago but never got around to it. I saw it popped up on PBS Passport and thought great, even better, a slickly produced adaptation of it.

The first of three episodes down, it's pretty good so far.
This was pretty good and one can't go wrong with some Jessie Buckely on their screen.

It is kind of an ideal adaptation in some ways, it does some smart things with the source material but also ditches some of the more potentially off-putting stuff, even when said stuff is really fascinating*. And it does it all while being largely faithful to the source material. For a modern adaptation of a 161 year old foundational novel it works pretty dang well.

• Marian Halcombe is extremely mannish, cartoonishly so. Walter first meets her by checking out her wonderful figure when her back is turned but he recoils at the sight of her face("The Lady is ugly!"). She is also presented as the mirror of Count Fosco who is as feminine coded as she is masculine.
  • The queerness doesn't just stop with the above, the fascination that Marian and Fosco have for each is delightfully bent, with the two characters seemingly drawn to the part of the other that is of their own sex(Marian is drawn to the feminine Fosco, and Fosco to the masculine Marian). And really, it is hard to read The Woman in White and not come away with the fact that Marian is in love with her cousin, Laura.
  • The ending has Walter and Laura marrying with Marian just kind of being a third wheel in their life. It is one of the big bummers of the book that Marian, who for the time is an amazingly strong female character, is denied a true ending. She is a character that doesn't fit the mold, any mold, so Wilkie Collins and The Woman in White has nowhere to place her. I like to think she, Laura, and Walter got a poly thing going on.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

TV in November 2020 - What are you watching? OT

A blessedly light month following the deluge of October šŸ˜… ~ Recent Highlights ~ PEN15 - Hulu Raised by Wolves - HBO MAX Ted Lasso - Apple TV+ The Third Day - HBO ~ November Sunday, 1 Roadkill - PBS - 9/8c Monday, 2 Can You Hear Me? - Netflix The Good Doctor - ABC - 10/9c...