• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
is there a way to disable the "auto tone mapping" with Sony TVs and PS5? I cant find much on this subject anywhere, not sure if its enabled on mine, or how to turn it off if it is…

edit: nvm this video cleared it all up for me https://youtu.be/ukB21sxGQbs

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since the last CX update a week or so ago whenever I turn on my CX, which also turns on my AVR, it defaults to the main HDMI2 input of the AVR instead of one of the sub-inputs which house the devices I have plugged into my AVR, including my streaming box. This is a problem because the main AVR input will display it's annoying menu screen over the input device, requiring me to dig out a second remote to dismiss it. Anyone have any clues why the CX just won't stay on the sub-input by default now?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
jfc... the 55" Sony A95K cost 3.000€... and the 55" LG C1 is at 900€ on amazon, but the whole dirty screen effect issue really makes me avoid them, I already know I would hate the TV :/

I guess I have to wait more years and hope the QD-OLED will get cheaper... :(

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Ever since the last CX update a week or so ago whenever I turn on my CX, which also turns on my AVR, it defaults to the main HDMI2 input of the AVR instead of one of the sub-inputs which house the devices I have plugged into my AVR, including my streaming box. This is a problem because the main AVR input will display it's annoying menu screen over the input device, requiring me to dig out a second remote to dismiss it. Anyone have any clues why the CX just won't stay on the sub-input by default now?

Check the CEC settings

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
jfc... the 55" Sony A95K cost 3.000€... and the 55" LG C1 is at 900€ on amazon, but the whole dirty screen effect issue really makes me avoid them, I already know I would hate the TV :/

I guess I have to wait more years and hope the QD-OLED will get cheaper... :(
Dirty screen effect isn't really a 'thing' with OLED, unless you mean vertical bands. But then on a 55" you would be unlucky to get a bad C1 so it definitely isn't an 'issue' as you claim.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
My LG C1 77" finally came in EVO panel. I watched a few videos on the prime settings for using it. Everyone just tells you to turn all the shit off. Is that really the best way. Makes no sense. I have some settings enabled on my A80J I just assumed I paid a lot of money for this TV and the special settings it offers is because it's capable of running it well.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
My LG C1 77" finally came in EVO panel. I watched a few videos on the prime settings for using it. Everyone just tells you to turn all the shit off. Is that really the best way. Makes no sense. I have some settings enabled on my A80J I just assumed I paid a lot of money for this TV and the special settings it offers is because it's capable of running it well.
Most recommendations are for getting as close to "reference" image quality as possible, and that usually means turning all the processing shit off. But it's really a matter of personal preference if you want/like the "reference" image quality or prefer to have some "enhancements" being on for a higher "wow" effect from color/brightness/etc.

Me personally I basically never switch the C1 from game mode @ 120Hz and the only thing I change is the tone mapping which goes from HGIG to LG's "on" sometimes depending on the content. The rest is set more or less as most of guides tell you to.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my LG C1 up and running. Such a beautiful set. Are there any guides to follow for initial setup purposes? Tried looking at Vincent's videos but there aren't really any general movie setting guides or anything that I can see other than his gaming console ones.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the 48" C1. It will arrive in a few days but I'd like some tips tô avoid the burn-in issue pls.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Just got my LG C1 up and running. Such a beautiful set. Are there any guides to follow for initial setup purposes? Tried looking at Vincent's videos but there aren't really any general movie setting guides or anything that I can see other than his gaming console ones.
There's a thread here for LG OLED owners with some good general settings that you can copy for your set:

www.resetera.com

LG 2017-2024 OLEDs - Optimized Settings for Xbox One/Series X|S, PS4/PS5, Switch, PC and webOS/Movies (SDR, HDR, DV) Sony - Microsoft - Tech

Hello everyone, I would like to share my FINAL set of Optimized Settings for all LG OLEDs from 2017 to 2024 Series for both SDR / HDR / DOLBY VISION Movies & TV Shows + Xbox One/Series X|S , PC, PS4/PS5 and Switch gaming with the best PQ and lowest Input-Lag results possible (from 4ms to 21ms...

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Just bought the 48" C1. It will arrive in a few days but I'd like some tips tô avoid the burn-in issue pls.
You basically have nothing to worry about. Turn the pixel shift stuff on if it doesn't bother you but truly unless you have it on HDR full screen content with static imagery and everything disabled that prevents burn in, you won't have anything problematic occur. Regular usage won't be an issue at all.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just enjoy it and don't worry about it.

Don't fall asleep with it on if you turn the auto off timer off. That's it.

Heck, I have around 300 hours of FF XIV on my C9. You're good.

You basically have nothing to worry about. Turn the pixel shift stuff on if it doesn't bother you but truly unless you have it on HDR full screen content with static imagery and everything disabled that prevents burn in, you won't have anything problematic occur. Regular usage won't be an issue at all.

Nice! Thanks everyone for all the advices.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Dirty screen effect isn't really a 'thing' with OLED, unless you mean vertical bands. But then on a 55" you would be unlucky to get a bad C1 so it definitely isn't an 'issue' as you claim.
Rtings talk about DSE in case of OLEDs too.
Saying that, by looking at many OLED reviews and people samples it's more like the opposite, you will always get vertical lines on WRGB OLED, if you are lucky you get faint lines tho but still get them.

Milly79

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at 48-50'' options. I'm looking at the Sony x90j for $898 or the C1 for $799. Really don't want to deal with OLED burn-in and all that... I know the TCL S646? Is a viable option as well, but I've heard horror stories of TCL in general and I also had a bad experience with them a few years back. Coming from a Samsung RU8000 from 2019, I'm sure anything is an upgrade at this point. Thanks in advance!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Looking at 48-50'' options. I'm looking at the Sony x90j for $898 or the C1 for $799. Really don't want to deal with OLED burn-in and all that... I know the TCL S646? Is a viable option as well, but I've heard horror stories of TCL in general and I also had a bad experience with them a few years back. Coming from a Samsung RU8000 from 2019, I'm sure anything is an upgrade at this point. Thanks in advance!
The C1 is better picture quality and cheaper. Burn in will not be a problem for you unless you watch CNN 24/7 without turning the TV off ever

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Can I get recommendations on what solution I should use to clean my lg c1 screen with? Thanks.

Nothing. Just wiping with a clean, dry microfiber cloth should suffice, buffing with little to no pressure if you're trying to take off a smudge. The one time I used even a little distilled water on my C9 on a small edge spot I vowed never to do it again since it looked like it was taking something off and it took a while to buff it with a dry cloth to get it looking like it did before.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Rtings talk about DSE in case of OLEDs too.
Saying that, by looking at many OLED reviews and people samples it's more like the opposite, you will always get vertical lines on WRGB OLED, if you are lucky you get faint lines tho but still get them.
They can call it that but they are using the term incorrectly. DSE on an LCD is different to vertical bands on an OLED.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
after getting my CX I was so impressed that I thought i would never be impressed by an LCD again
then I got a sony x95j and holy shit is this thing impressive. does it have "perfect contrast"? nah. but it gets super bright and the HDR highlights in "real viewing" are very impressive.
i've also been super impressed with how games look. IMO GT7 and GoW look better on this TV with the high peak brightness. sun reflections in GT7 actually make me squint. and don't get me wrong, neither of these games look bad on CX (like say the "greys" on my dell ips monitor), but it's a different experience.
I know someone on here had played with a z9j at some point, i can only imagine how insanely good that set looks.

price though…MSRP was 2400 on the X95J. I got it for $1300. I got the CX for $2000. so the X95J is "more expensive" but i'm grading it on a curve in its favor due to the low price. if you're scared of oled or just want a super bright HDR picture, this tv is amazing at the clearance prices. really hoping the qd-oleds can start to push the brightness to similar levels by the time i'm in the market for an upgrade. I don't know how sony gets away with their dimming zone blasphemy, but their magic worked on me

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Gonna pop out tomorrow and order the A95K. Expect I'll wonder if I'm doing the right thing at some point. I give it a 40% chance I'll get something on clearance.

minato

Oct 27, 2017
The C1 is better picture quality and cheaper. Burn in will not be a problem for you unless you watch CNN 24/7 without turning the TV off ever
Agreed it's really the best option available now I use one for my desktop and it's great. I also picked up a 50" QN90A for 600 on clearance about a month ago on Samsung's website but those are all gone now. For that size not too many options.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone else getting a short pop/loud noise from the speakers when the PS5 switches to 120 hz/VRR mode? I am using a Sony A90J with an eARC adapter to a Denon AVR. Not a major problem, everything works fine otherwise. Just curious what is the reason.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else think how ridiculous TV reviews/comparisons are now? Literally no one can agree, and where one outlet says TV A is much better and brighter, another will say TV B is, or someone will say they are very similar......it is literally impossible to deduce anything nowadays, and ultimately it shows us that it's all a crock of shit, and TVs just havent progressed much, and in reality are very similar.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Does anyone else think how ridiculous TV reviews/comparisons are now? Literally no one can agree, and where one outlet says TV A is much better and brighter, another will say TV B is, or someone will say they are very similar......it is literally impossible to deduce anything nowadays, and ultimately it shows us that it's all a crock of shit, and TVs just havent progressed much, and in reality are very similar.
It's hard to go wrong these days and as a consumer that's a good thing. Each TV has its strengths and weaknesses so really you have to know what features you personally are looking for before making your buying decision. I think comparisons are still important, especially when comparing OS features and speed but I think that anybody taking any of the top end LGs, Sonys, or Samsungs is gonna be happy with the picture*.

*except avsforum members. That's always a toss up

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If it's showing us reality how is it ridiculous?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's the point......what is the reality? If no one can agree, or show us consistency, then it just becomes words and meaningless.

It just depends on your actual room conditions and your circumstances. That's what these reviews should be showing. Are you in a pitch black room or is light coming in?

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that a lot of TV reviewers think about and look at more TVs than any normal consumer ever would. The differences between TVs will be amplified for them due to their deep experience and the fact they they often see two models side by side (in non showroom conditions).

These things rarely apply to the average consumer, so when you're making the tough choice between a "very good" TV and a "great" TV, it helps to remind yourself that once it's your only TV (or the best TV in your house) the fact that there's a "better" TV out there is irrelevant. You will not think about the potential difference once you're absorbed in actually using the TV.

What this also means, of course, is that if you are regularly exposed to a clearly better TV, it will be much easier to become dissatisfied with your own. So it's important to consider your own situation when choosing a TV.

I don't think TV reviews are bullshit but I do think it's easy to get lost in the weeds, especially if you go down the avsforum rabbit hole. That way lies madness.

I recently replaced a 2014 TV and when I was at Best Buy it was obvious that almost any TV in there would be a significant upgrade. It made the painstaking research I did over the last year feel a bit silly.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
It just depends on your actual room conditions and your circumstances. That's what these reviews should be showing. Are you in a pitch black room or is light coming in?

I'm just pointing out the mega inconsistencies with TV reviews, and it doesn't help with what's happened with the S95B shitshow that made many quarters look very silly. It has to be questioned, with that and the disparity between reviewers and other TVs, just makes it hard for people I feel.

just stick to HDTVTest and other reviewers that give reliable numerical data then

Yeah, I mean he is as good as you'll get, even if he's not always bang on imo.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that a lot of TV reviewers think about and look at more TVs than any normal consumer ever would. The differences between TVs will be amplified for them due to their deep experience and the fact they they often see two models side by side (in non showroom conditions).

These things rarely apply to the average consumer, so when you're making the tough choice between a "very good" TV and a "great" TV, it helps to remind yourself that once it's your only TV (or the best TV in your house) the fact that there's a "better" TV out there is irrelevant. You will not think about the potential difference once you're absorbed in actually using the TV.

What this also means, of course, is that if you are regularly exposed to a clearly better TV, it will be much easier to become dissatisfied with your own. So it's important to consider your own situation when choosing a TV.

I don't think TV reviews are bullshit but I do think it's easy to get lost in the weeds, especially if you go down the avsforum rabbit hole. That way lies madness.

I recently replaced a 2014 TV and when I was at Best Buy it was obvious that almost any TV in there would be a significant upgrade. It made the painstaking research I did over the last year feel a bit silly.

Absolutely, if coming from an older TV, you're laughing, but all reviewers/testers love all this side by side stuff, of the current year TVs and last years, and coming up with differing answers, doesn't make sense and I find it annoying.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
That's the point......what is the reality? If no one can agree, or show us consistency, then it just becomes words and meaningless.

The reality is the vast majority of "reviewers" exist to generate hype for clicks. Of course, this isn't exclusive to the display tech space.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to get the LG OLED G2 as my main TV for movie/gaming
But how's Samsung Frame Matte edition? I have a position at home that's kinda weird to have a black rectangle hanged up so want to try something fun like this. Would it suffice just for normal streaming?

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I'm going to get the LG OLED G2 as my main TV for movie/gaming
But how's Samsung Frame Matte edition? I have a position at home that's kinda weird to have a black rectangle hanged up so want to try something fun like this. Would it suffice just for normal streaming?
I have a 65" frame in my kitchen and love it for just casual watching or pulling up recipes, youtube, etc. on. Being able to change up what is on it at anytime is nice and can change the feel of the room. Great for parties as well to have sports running on or fun pics.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With LG CX, is there any advantage to using the native apps from the LG store over the Apple TV version of the streaming apps?

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna pop out tomorrow and order the A95K. Expect I'll wonder if I'm doing the right thing at some point. I give it a 40% chance I'll get something on clearance.

sweet. Update us pls.
I decided to wait one more damn year to upgrade: 77" A95 not avail till 2023. Putting lots of pennys aside till Black Friday 2023.