• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is the A9s compared to the c1? Seems to be same price right now.

Sony has better picture processing quality, C1 has the better gaming features. Since I use all the HDMI 2.1 ports in my TV and need VRR, I'd personally go with the C1, but you can't really go wrong with either.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has better picture processing quality, C1 has the better gaming features. Since I use all the HDMI 2.1 ports in my TV and need VRR, I'd personally go with the C1, but you can't really go wrong with either.
the choice is usually made easier when the A9 is $1000-2000 more than the same sized C1 as well lol

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you? In the UK the a90j is more than double the cost of the C1. I definitely would get it over the LG. 120hz is a paper comparison, it's not going to be a thing for a long time. We only just started getting 60fps.

120hz is a thing and in a a fair few Series X games. Psychonauts 2 is the latest one and it looks amazing.

Double so if you've got a PC.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Where are you? In the UK the a90j is more than double the cost of the C1. I definitely would get it over the LG. 120hz is a paper comparison, it's not going to be a thing for a long time. We only just started getting 60fps.
If you use VRR at all, the display will be running at 120Hz. It's not only a thing for 120 FPS games.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that's only true of the X900H.
The X900H had (has?) an issue which blurs the image at 120Hz.
But all current Sony TVs appear to process 120Hz in 8-bit regardless of the incoming bit-depth, while LG displays 10-bit (though it's not a perfect 10-bit representation). I believe it's a limitation of the chipset Sony are using.
If you use a PC or XSX with VRR enabled - or a PS5 once Sony finally add support - then you'll be using 120Hz at all times.

14:54

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
The X900H had (has?) an issue which blurs the image at 120Hz.
But all current Sony TVs appear to process 120Hz in 8-bit regardless of the incoming bit-depth, while LG displays 10-bit (though it's not a perfect 10-bit representation). I believe it's a limitation of the chipset Sony are using.
If you use a PC or XSX with VRR enabled - or a PS5 once Sony finally add support - then you'll be using 120Hz at all times.

14:54

The ps5 has been out 1 year now and still has no VRR support, I personally don't think it's going to happen because it will tax the CPU and GPU in games that press the system hard and expose the thermal limitations of the system.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The ps5 has been out 1 year now and still has no VRR support, I personally don't think it's going to happen because it will tax the CPU and GPU in games that press the system hard and expose the thermal limitations of the system.
Unless there's a hardware issue preventing it, I think it'll still happen.
VRR shouldn't have much of a performance impact.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't affect performance or tax hardware...

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone point me in the direction of some 48Gbps HDMI cables?
Plan on wall mounting the tv next week and want to future proof things by making sure I never have to take it down again to swap cables.

Online reviews all seem to contradict each other - some saying they work great and the next review stating it's not real 'HDMI 2.1'.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone point me in the direction of some 48Gbps HDMI cables?
Plan on wall mounting the tv next week and want to future proof things by making sure I never have to take it down again to swap cables.

Online reviews all seem to contradict each other - some saying they work great and the next review stating it's not real 'HDMI 2.1'.

I bought these in 3m length and they are fully certified within the HDMI app and I also can confirm they give me every tick on the Series X and give me 120fps on PS5 at 4K.

they are also cheap in price but great quality.

you are right about reviews I just think some people don't know what they are talking about. As I said I scanned these on the HDMI app and they are fully certified.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
It doesn't support all the hdmi 2.1 features like 4K 120hz or VRR.
Great choice for movies , not so good for gaming

Im not sure I'd agree with this. The Sony's superior picture processing will mean that games will look better than the LG in most cases. My A90J, for example, exhibits far less banding than my CX.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I bought these in 3m length and they are fully certified within the HDMI app and I also can confirm they give me every tick on the Series X and give me 120fps on PS5 at 4K.

they are also cheap in price but great quality.

you are right about reviews I just think some people don't know what they are talking about. As I said I scanned these on the HDMI app and they are fully certified.

Thanks! Just placed my order.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Im not sure I'd agree with this. The Sony's superior picture processing will mean that games will look better than the LG in most cases. My A90J, for example, exhibits far less banding than my CX.
Again: not at 120Hz.
Sony processes that in 8-bit, while LG is 10-bit.
So there should be noticeably less banding in games on LG - since VRR will always run at 120Hz, regardless of the game's frame rate.
Sony does have a superior de-banding filter to LG, but that can smooth over details and doesn't really make up for a lack of native support.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Again: not at 120Hz.
Sony processes that in 8-bit, while LG is 10-bit.
So there should be noticeably less banding in games on LG - since VRR will always run at 120Hz, regardless of the game's frame rate.
Sony does have a superior de-banding filter to LG, but that can smooth over details and doesn't really make up for a lack of native support.

Agreed. It will depend on what you tend to game at. The majority of my gaming is on console and doesn't involve 120Hz or VRR so I would pick my Sony every time.

In my own experience 120Hz HDR in particular looks better on my LG for the reason you mention.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
XSS/XSX do 120Hz VRR, and PS5 should after an update (rumored to be out before the end of the year).
It's only Switch or last-gen systems that won't be running at 120Hz.

I know. However I can't recall a single game I have yet played with 120Hz support or one that didn't sacrifice image quality otherwise. I tried Doom Eternal for the sake of science but I didn't find it a massive improvement over regular 60 and I didn't think it justified the drop in IQ.

As I say, for the majority of my use my Sony beats out my LG but if VRR becomes more useful to me that may well change. Especially if Sony don't release their VRR firmware update soon.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I know. However I can't recall a single game I have yet played with 120Hz support or one that didn't sacrifice image quality otherwise. I tried Doom Eternal for the sake of science but I didn't find it a massive improvement over regular 60 and I didn't think it justified the drop in IQ.

As I say, for the majority of my use my Sony beats out my LG but if VRR becomes more useful to me that may well change. Especially if Sony don't release their VRR firmware update soon.

Different setup for different devices.
Xbox runs the console at 120hz all of the time, regardless of what the game runs at - a bit like PCs do for games not in exclusive screen modes.

In which case you suffer any downsides of your TV's alongside the upsides it can bring.
PS5 handles it differently, it switches to 120hz if the game requests it .

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason when we woke up today my wife said go buy a tv. Got a LG C1. First impressions are that it was worth every penny.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Xbox runs the console at 120hz all of the time, regardless of what the game runs at - a bit like PCs do for games not in exclusive screen modes.

In which case you suffer any downsides of your TV's alongside the upsides it can bring.

Again, it is different user needs - I see no reason to force 120Hz as I'm not a competitive gamer and don't need the improved response time, and again, the PQ on the Sony will be superior for anything non-HDR which is still probably a 50-50 split even today Whether it is even supported.

No perfect TV etc.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Again, it is different user needs - I see no reason to force 120Hz as I'm not a competitive gamer and don't need the improved response time, and again, the PQ on the Sony will be superior for anything non-HDR which is still probably a 50-50 split even today Whether it is even supported.

No perfect TV etc.
I'm still not sure that you fully understand this.
Once Sony enables VRR, the PS5 should be outputting a 120Hz signal at all times, just as Xbox and PC does now.
VRR is primarily about making games run smoother. It also reduces latency, and eliminates screen tearing.

Right now, the PS5 only outputs 120Hz with 40 FPS or 120 FPS games.
But with VRR it will output 120Hz with any game: 30, 40, 60, 120 FPS, etc.
VRR enables a game to run at anything from 0–120 FPS - so a game could target 80 FPS (halfway between 60 and 120 FPS, based on frame-times) rather than having to use a divisor of 120.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA

When you say, "Xbox runs the console at 120hz all of the time" are you referring to when VRR is enhabled? Because you can definitely change the refresh rate to 60Hz within your XSX settings. I keep mine at 60Hz since I am not impressed with the 120Hz performance of my X900H and I also found it to be pretty choppy in some games like MCC since the X900H does not currently support VRR.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
It seems to tick all the boxes in terms of features for my Series X and the 65" version is at a solid price. Might wait a little for Black Friday but its certainly pulling me away from pushing up the cash and getting a CX or C1 instead. Grrr

You are so correct to wait for Black Friday at this point. But yes, it always ends up on Rtings for best budget option.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
When you say, "Xbox runs the console at 120hz all of the time" are you referring to when VRR is enhabled? Because you can definitely change the refresh rate to 60Hz within your XSX settings. I keep mine at 60Hz since I am not impressed with the 120Hz performance of my X900H and I also found it to be pretty choppy in some games like MCC since the X900H does not currently support VRR.
No, if you set the console refresh to 120hz it will output 120hz with VRR.
If you set it to 60hz you will get that + vrr

(Providing vrr is enabled)

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I'm still not sure that you fully understand this.
Once Sony enables VRR, the PS5 should be outputting a 120Hz signal at all times, just as Xbox and PC does now.
VRR is primarily about making games run smoother. It also reduces latency, and eliminates screen tearing.

Right now, the PS5 only outputs 120Hz with 40 FPS or 120 FPS games.
But with VRR it will output 120Hz with any game: 30, 40, 60, 120 FPS, etc.
VRR enables a game to run at anything from 0–120 FPS - so a game could target 80 FPS (halfway between 60 and 120 FPS, based on frame-times) rather than having to use a divisor of 120.

I understand it perfectly thanks.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
No, if you set the console refresh to 120hz it will output 120hz with VRR.
If you set it to 60hz you will get that + vrr

(Providing vrr is enabled)
I am referring to simply changing your refresh rate to 60Hz within your XSX settings like your channel shows here: https://youtu.be/vw4ia4-OmHE?t=120 This is my preferred way to play on my X900H since I can't stand the blurry text that the 120Hz mode introduces.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I am referring to simply changing your refresh rate to 60Hz within your XSX settings like your channel shows here: https://youtu.be/vw4ia4-OmHE?t=120 This is my preferred way to play on my X900H since I can't stand the blurry text that the 120Hz mode introduces.
But setting your refresh to 60hz will significantly limit the VRR range, specifically low framerate compensation, won't it?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
My Vizio's firmware just updated and now the TV never remembers my picture settings.

Every time I turn it on, it's set to Vivid.

So annoying.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
TCL w the king of budget to performance the last few years.
Now it seems Hisense is coming along and getting rave reviews of U7G.

Maybe I can hold off another year or two. The new hdmi and vrr stuff is something I'd like proper.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I am looking at the TCL 8k Roku series from this year as my next tv. I just wish they'd make it in the 55". Altho the 4k one might just do the trick I'd like to have the higher bandwith HDMI just cuz you never know.