• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Lower the gamma before anything else.
  • BT.1886/2.4 gamma is for film viewing in a dark room.
  • Games are generally designed around 2.2 gamma (though 2.4 will give you a richer image).
  • 1.9 gamma should be more suitable for a brighter room.
I don't really use the TV speakers, so I can't comment on which is best for Atmos games; but from the small amount of testing I did, AI Sound Pro sounded best to me after tuning.
The Game Optimizer modes sounded awful to me, but the TV keeps switching back to them every time I use a device set to use the Game Optimizer picture preset (which reduces latency).
Hopefully they can fix that via a firmware update.
Thanks that helped a lot, I used 1.9 and it's way better, I'm using brightness 50 on PS5 and 55 on XSX because it seems darker on Xbox.

What is it you mean when you say they "don't sound good" though?

For example, I'm using YouTube and a DF video, when John talks it sounds normal on my phone with Dolby Atmos or PS5/YouTube app/Xbox without Dolby Atmos but if I enable it on Xbox then he sounds muted or talking from a box, I also have to increase the volume to like 20 to hear well, but 10 is totally fine with stereo.
I'm not sure if there's an issue or that's how it should be, tried to change soms settings and what you told me but it's still bad with Dolby. :/

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Samsung QN94A, which has peak nits of somewhere between 1,400 and 1,800.

I'm trying to calibrate HDR using the Xbox Series and PS5 tools. I can't make the eye disappear because Samsung has undefeatable dynamic tone mapping.

Does anyone know how many clicks I need to go on both Xbox and PS5?

I know this info has been posted somewhere on this or the OLED threads but I'll be damned if I can find it.

I think it's about 15 clicks but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If it's like the QN90A and QN95A then it is 15 clicks.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
For example, I'm using YouTube and a DF video, when John talks it sounds normal on my phone with Dolby Atmos or PS5/YouTube app/Xbox without Dolby Atmos but if I enable it on Xbox then he sounds muted or talking from a box, I also have to increase the volume to like 20 to hear well, but 10 is totally fine with stereo.
I'm not sure if there's an issue or that's how it should be, tried to change soms settings and what you told me but it's still bad with Dolby. :/
That sounds like it may be an issue specific to the Xbox converting stereo content or placing it inside an Atmos container, rather than an issue with the speakers or playback of native Atmos content.
Multichannel audio being mixed down will always be quieter than stereo content played back on a stereo speaker system.
Maybe Atmos just doesn't sound good on the TV? You might find that things sound better if you disable it.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
That sounds like it may be an issue specific to the Xbox converting stereo content or placing it inside an Atmos container, rather than an issue with the speakers or playback of native Atmos content.
Multichannel audio being mixed down will always be quieter than stereo content played back on a stereo speaker system.
Maybe Atmos just doesn't sound good on the TV? You might find that things sound better if you disable it.
I think Atmos doesn't sound good on the TV, because I tried their app and the few samples weren't good either and they were native Atmos contents afaik.

I'll just disable it and use AI Sound Pro (doesn't switch back to Game Optimiser sound) and if I want to experience Atmos then I'll use headphones.
Thankfully I don't really care about sounds, if there's a sound and it doesn't sound bad then that's good enough for me. xD

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have to crank my volume up from like 20 to like 70 as soon as Atmos kicks in on my TV.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite my reservations about OLED, I went ahead and got a 65C1 to replace my 55B7. Looking forward to the upgrade.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to say something regarding brightness and OLED regarding your purchase finalflame, but I don't want to get banned :P
Haha, well, it's because I own an OLED already that I understand where they fall short :) :p

Either way, given the complete package and what else is available, and my itch to upgrade, the 65C1 really is the best out there right now, all things considered.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Haha, well, it's because I own an OLED already that I understand where they fall short :) :p

Either way, given the complete package and what else is available, and my itch to upgrade, the 65C1 really is the best out there right now, all things considered.
Between those 2017 models and the newer ones we've seen some big improvements in terms durability, so hopefully it will stay looking good for longer.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Despite my reservations about OLED, I went ahead and got a 65C1 to replace my 55B7. Looking forward to the upgrade.

I am wondering if I should do the same. My b7 first got the rectangle issue (which is not that noticeable, unless I am watching soccer) and a few weeks go it also got 2 horizontal green lines on the bottom which are visible almost all the time.
65c1 is around 2000e and there is a 5 year warranty promotion that is valid until 15th (so 9 days left). This is the primary reason why I want to upgrade.

I am bit worried about the wall that it will be mounted on. Hoping it will be strong enough and that I will not end with a broken tv :).

Last edited:

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017

I have a 77C8, so I have to wait some time to buy something new (even got a new panel late 2020 due to some problems). I am using this new panel without any restrictions or fear, though ;D

65c1 is around 2000e and there is a 5 year warranty promotion that is valid until 15th (so 9 days left). This is the primary reason why I want to upgrade.
Does this warranty cover burn-in etc.?

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I really want to say something regarding brightness and OLED regarding your purchase finalflame, but I don't want to get banned :P
This is such an outdated criticism now. The most recent OLEDs get plenty bright enough. Even more so when you consider most people calibrate to 100nits if they want reference quality. Either way, if I crank my A90J up it is eye melting.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Hey guys I just got my PS5 yesterday (finally!) and got it hooked up. The only game I have tried thus far is Astro's Playroom and I'm noticing something weird.

I am using a 65" Sony 950H btw.

On the title screen for the game, I am noticing something odd with the letters in the word "Playroom". The best way to describe it is like the effect you get when you are watching a 3D movie but take off the glasses. You see it slightly blurry and like double vision. I took a pic:

Not the best pic but I think you can see what I am talking about. Especially in the P and M.

Here is the thing though, all other letters look right. I mean, look at the word "Astro's". While playing the game everything looks normal to me. Nice and sharp as expected. I also haven't noticed anything in the PS5 UI. I Googled the Astro's Playroom title screen and couldn't see the issue on any of the images that came up nor could I find any mention of what I am seeing anywhere.

Has anyone else noticed this in this game? If not, any idea what might be causing it.

I have tried the usual troubleshooting. I am using the HDMI cable that came supplied with the console, but I tried a different HDMI cable and got the same result. I also double checked that the HDMI port on the TV was set to Enhanced. I did the HDR setup process following the advice on the HDTV test video. I also disabled HDR and loaded up the game to see if the issue was still present. It was, although it stood out more in HDR. I also cycled through all the other picture modes on the TV just to check, and for the most part they all looked similar except for Cinema. For some reason the Cinema preset on the 950H almost completely eliminates the problem. Oddly enough, it is still visible on the Custom preset. This is odd since that even has less picture processing than Cinema.

Like I said the game itself looked excellent and I couldn't notice any problems. But I'm OCD about this sort of stuff.

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
At the time I bought my CX last year, there was discussion on receivers having issues with eARC or something along those lines with the newer technology coming out at the time. I was wondering if those problems have been resolved yet as I've been thinking about upgrading my receiver.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

I'm close to talking myself into getting a 48 inch C1. I'm still really scared of burn in, especially with a TV this expensive, but there really are no good TVs in the 48-50 inch range besides OLED.

Oct 30, 2017
This is such an outdated criticism now. The most recent OLEDs get plenty bright enough. Even more so when you consider most people calibrate to 100nits if they want reference quality. Either way, if I crank my A90J up it is eye melting.
Not sure you understood what I was implying. Whenever someone was saying what you said about the brightness and that it is enough, they would quote the comment and say that it's not enough because HDR yadda yadda :) So seeing them finally buying an OLED made me chuckle.

I am also in your camp that the brightness is high enough.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure you understood what I was implying. Whenever someone was saying what you said about the brightness and that it is enough, they would quote the comment and say that it's not enough because HDR yadda yadda :) So seeing them finally buying an OLED made me chuckle.

I am also in your camp that the brightness is high enough.
I mean I've had an OLED and I still think the "eye-searing" brightness comments are silly; OLED brightness doesn't sear any eyes, it's just a bit OLED owners repeat to counteract the valid criticism that OLEDs have to tone-map most HDR content due to subpar peak brightness. I'll be happy once this is no longer the case for OLED, but that's unlikely to ever happen, we'll sooner move on to microLED.

Oct 30, 2017
I mean I've had an OLED and I still think the "eye-searing" brightness comments are silly; OLED brightness doesn't sear any eyes, it's just a bit OLED owners repeat to counteract the valid criticism that OLEDs have to tone-map most HDR content due to subpar peak brightness. I'll be happy once this is no longer the case for OLED, but that's unlikely to ever happen, we'll sooner move on to microLED.
For me watching some dark scenes at night and then the movie or whatever briefly switches to an all white screen hurts my eyes. It is like shortly looking into a lamp at night. Sure, the highlights can always be brighter etc. and I would be curious how a movie looks on a 4k? nits mastering screen, but personally it is bright enough with the current experience I have.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
we'll sooner move on to microLED.

Probably wouldn't expect this for 5-10 years at this rate, if ever. The luxury consumer microLEDs right now are not only bad yields, they consume an obscene amount of power and even have requirements for how much air conditioning BTU is in the room due to the heat it produces. They're still not even close to prime time unfortunately.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It's all about contrast. OLED should definitely get brighter so it doesn't have to tone map highlights but it gets closer than any tech in terms of the space between the darkest thing on the screen and the brightest. Going from pure black to something really bright in a dark room can look really bright just because of the way your eyes have to adjust.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020

You've never watched an OLED in a dark environment. Eye searing is spot on.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've never watched an OLED in a dark environment. Eye searing is spot on.
I literally own an OLED (I guess now I technically own two), and have a living room that gets dark, so that's silly.
It's all about contrast. OLED should definitely get brighter so it doesn't have to tone map highlights but it gets closer than any tech in terms of the space between the darkest thing on the screen and the brightest. Going from pure black to something really bright in a dark room can look really bright just because of the way your eyes have to adjust.
Not as impactful with proper bias lighting.
Probably wouldn't expect this for 5-10 years at this rate, if ever. The luxury consumer microLEDs right now are not only bad yields, they consume an obscene amount of power and even have requirements for how much air conditioning BTU is in the room due to the heat it produces. They're still not even close to prime time unfortunately.
Yah, the problem is I also don't see how we'll get OLED much brighter. It has barely moved much in the last 5 years.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ultimately brightness is down to user preference. OLEDs are unquestionably noticeably dimmer, to my eyes, than high end LEDs. Viewing conditions also matter.

I don't watch or play stuff only in a dark room, and I spend a lot of time in particular games, and I love a bright screen. I also don't like OLED motion at 30fps due to the instant response time.

So that's why I have a QLED. It has trade offs too, but those are less bothersome to me than those that OLED would give me.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
TCL 6 series 8k jump to 2200-3000 for 65-75.

Gone are the 1000 value.
that's why the LED manufacturers are gonna be pushing for 8K and making those the high end specced out models.. as OLED prices go down they can't compete with picture quality value alone and still get the profit they're looking for. 8K and bigger margins it is. Especially with higher manufacturing costs. RIP

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
that's why the LED manufacturers are gonna be pushing for 8K and making those the high end specced out models.. as OLED prices go down they can't compete with picture quality value alone and still get the profit they're looking for. 8K and bigger margins it is. Especially with higher manufacturing costs. RIP

The problem with 8K screens is upscaling from cable tv to 4K isn't very good today and now we want to upscale 720p to 8K? It's going to look like crap for most of the content we watch.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
Just hooked up my C1 to my PC. Any idea why I can't set it to 120hz in Nvidia Control Panel? Think it might be the cable? I bought this one.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just hooked up my C1 to my PC. Any idea why I can't set it to 120hz in Nvidia Control Panel? Think it might be the cable? I bought this one.
Could be a bunch of things I'm guessing. Did you make sure to enable Deep Color on the hdmi input you are using. Are you connecting it directly to your TV (in case you are using a receiver that doesn't support your target res and refresh rate)? Have you tried using any available PC resolutions (I think they are grouped separately from TV resolutions)?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Unless they are making the 4k sets still, it's the classic rise up story. Oneplus, TCL, under cutting the competition and then bam.. High prices too. Did they forget people were drawn in by value?

I hear Hisense is the new lunch taker.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a bunch of things I'm guessing. Did you make sure to enable Deep Color on the hdmi input you are using. Are you connecting it directly to your TV (in case you are using a receiver that doesn't support your target res and refresh rate)? Have you tried using any available PC resolutions (I think they are grouped separately from TV resolutions)?

How exactly do I get to the deep color mode option? Should be Settings > All Settings > Picture, right? I don't see that option. TV is directly connected to my 3080. PC Resolution in tv settings or do you mean in windows? Sorry, new to this.

Edit: Found it! Older tvs had it in picture but for the c1 it's in general settings. Yes, deep color is enabled at 4k.

Last edited:

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Also couldnt set mine to 120hz at first. What helped was choosing the second 3840x2160p option, when you scroll lower in that window. Those resolutions have shorter names than the ones at the top of the scroll bar.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I have an OLED (and had a qled).
Eye searing is not even close.

You don't want it eye searing constantly, as that would probably ruin the viewing experience a tad, but on a properly calibrated set, you should have moments where you experience extreme highlights, especially on the new Evo driven panels In HDR.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
So I wanted to seek some advice as I am in the market for a new TV after buying a new place. Currently I own a Sony 55 A1E OLED. I really loved the picture quality, how a lot of content gaming and otherwise popped with HDR but for last year and a half there was essentially discolouration marks (not exactly burn in) near center of screen that wasn't resolved by troubleshooting methods. As I bought the TV through a friend as Sony employee I didn't have any warranty and they basically washed their hands of me.

I currently have a PS5 and most likely will be connecting it to minimum sound bar but potentially surround system set-up so I am trying to refamiliarize with tech that would future proof my setup for next few years including VRR, HDMI 2.1. Would like 65 inch or bigger so what is general recommendations for gaming and streaming? I am Canada based.

Dave1988

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking from upgrading from my 55" LG C8 to a 55" LG C1 or G1 set. I'm currently gravitating towards the C1 set because of its more affordable price. The C1 seems almost like a straight upgrade from my current set. However, when checking out their reviews on rting I was surprised to learn that the C1 is dimmer in both SDR and HDR modes than my LG C8. Unless I'm not seeing something here, moving to a C1 would actually be a downgrade in terms of overall brightness.

I've also been toying with the possibility of getting the G1 but there are some issues with getting this set. Namely, I would have to wall mount it and I'm not too keen on doing that. I'm aware that you can buy a stand for it but that's not an option for me since the legs are too far apart to place them on my current setup. Not to mention that the price of the G1 is quite a bit higher.

So, now I'm at an impasse as to what to do. Should I just get the C1 and enjoy the benefits of the upgrade (HDMI2.1 support, HGIG, etc.) and live with the worse brightness than my C8? Truth be told, I'd love to go for the G1 but having to wall mount it really puts me off. Should I just wait and see what LG's 2022 offerings will turn out being?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Also couldnt set mine to 120hz at first. What helped was choosing the second 3840x2160p option, when you scroll lower in that window. Those resolutions have shorter names than the ones at the top of the scroll bar.
Gangrel
I had to do the same here. I'm not sure why it's split up like that.
I also had to use CRU (custom resolution utility) to remove the 4096x2160 resolutions, as some games were detecting that as 'native' and scaling the image weirdly.
It prevented GPU scaling from working correctly, too.

oled-cru_ezj60.png

It will be listed in Extension Blocks > TV Resolutions, as pictured above (though I already deleted 4096x2160).
I recommend that you don't touch anything else.
You then need to run restart64.exe to force the system to re-detect the supported resolutions.

The problem with 8K screens is upscaling from cable tv to 4K isn't very good today and now we want to upscale 720p to 8K? It's going to look like crap for most of the content we watch.
Scaling generally works better the more resolution you have for it.
But higher resolution screens don't have the 'masking' effect lower resolution screens do for lower resolution content.
I wouldn't expect results to differ dramatically between 4K and 8K screens when scaling something like a 720p source. You would mostly see the difference with 4K content.

I'm thinking from upgrading from my 55" LG C8 to a 55" LG C1 or G1 set. I'm currently gravitating towards the C1 set because of its more affordable price. The C1 seems almost like a straight upgrade from my current set. However, when checking out their reviews on rting I was surprised to learn that the C1 is dimmer in both SDR and HDR modes than my LG C8. Unless I'm not seeing something here, moving to a C1 would actually be a downgrade in terms of overall brightness.

I've also been toying with the possibility of getting the G1 but there are some issues with getting this set. Namely, I would have to wall mount it and I'm not too keen on doing that. I'm aware that you can buy a stand for it but that's not an option for me since the legs are too far apart to place them on my current setup. Not to mention that the price of the G1 is quite a bit higher.

So, now I'm at an impasse as to what to do. Should I just get the C1 and enjoy the benefits of the upgrade (HDMI2.1 support, HGIG, etc.) and live with the worse brightness than my C8? Truth be told, I'd love to go for the G1 but having to wall mount it really puts me off. Should I just wait and see what LG's 2022 offerings will turn out being?
RTINGS lists the C8 as having a real-world brightness of 318 nits in SDR and 666 nits in HDR.
The C1 was measured as having a real-world brightness of 302 nits in SDR and 628 nits in HDR.
I doubt you would notice a difference - especially when comparing an older set to a new one (displays dim over time).
HDR brightness in Game Mode on the C1 is 611 nits - which is one of the brighter OLEDs. The C8 was not tested for that, but older OLEDs were typically dimmer in game mode.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Not as impactful with proper bias lighting.
Why would you ever use bias lighting with an OLED? The only reason to use bias lighting is to make blacks look deeper to your eyes or if you get eye strain from watching it in a dark room. You said the TV isn't bright enough to strain your eyes and obviously OLED black is black, so I have no idea why your setup would have it.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone have Sony x90j here?
do I trust Sony to update the TV with VRR?
Even if we were 99% confident it will get VRR, I wouldn't recommend buying a TV on the promise of something, especially if that thing were a make it/break it kind of deal.

I believe Sony support said winter, and the rumor is that they're waiting for some specs to update and looking at December. So if you want to wait that long, or if you don't think VRR is a dealbreaker either way. Other than that, I would recommend against it.

And I say that as someone planning to buy that TV.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips on how to move an 65in LG CX without the original packaging? We're not even moving to a new place. Some work just has to be done to the bedrooms, so we have to empty them out temporarily. Carrying a thin 70 lb TV down some stairs does not sound fun :(

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Any tips on how to move an 65in LG CX without the original packaging? We're not even moving to a new place. Some work just has to be done to the bedrooms, so we have to empty them out temporarily. Carrying a thin 70 lb TV down some stairs does not sound fun :(

Remove it from the stand. You don't want to be carrying it with that brick of a stand attached. Don't lay it face down anywhere.