• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, I have a simple question.

I bought this Samsung TV in 2019: https://www.samsung.com/it/tvs/uhdtv-nu7170/UE49NU7170UXZT/

Now, I was reading that HDMI 2.1 will be required for some features of the nextgen consoles.

The TV has for sure HDR and HDMI 2.0, but how can I understand what version of HDMI this tv has? In the manual, I can't find a "HMDI 2.1 confirmed" voice.

It does not have HDMI 2.1. It might support 2.1 VRR spec and does support eARC, but it does not have the bandwidth for 4k/120 4:4:4

Nov 2, 2017
I want to pull the trigger on the TCL, but my only issue is that it can't fit on my TV stand. The legs are 48 inches apart for the 55" and 57 inches apart for the 65".
Yes, we had the same issue when I picked up a 65in TCL and ended up getting a new stand to accommodate the legs. The legs seem to be holding up okay but may purchase some additional support.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question here, TCL 55R617-CA 600 dollars Canadian , Wait for R625 to release here or get it at that price ? thank you

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most respected calibrators on AVS forum , D-NIce, stated the 55" CX has the same OLED pixel structure as the 55" C9.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Ah Jesus, please don't let this be something bad. I've had my C9 since early February this year. I was so happy about how clean it was, barely any DSE to speak of or weird lines or other stuff that shouldn't be there.

But just now after booting up my Xbox and seeing the grey background I noticed something off. So I load up a CalMan clip of a full grey background... I also see what seems to be lines of some sort, almost like image retention that takes very long to just fade away.

img_20200331_182834rtk1l.jpg

Is this the moment where I start the pixel refresher?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Ah Jesus, please don't let this be something bad. I've had my C9 since early February this year. I was so happy about how clean it was, barely any DSE to speak of or weird lines or other stuff that shouldn't be there.

But just now after booting up my Xbox and seeing the grey background I noticed something off. So I load up a CalMan clip of a full grey background... Look to the left, it has a weird darker grey look and right is lighter grey. I also see what seems to be lines of some sort, almost like image retention that takes very long to just fade away.

img_20200331_182834rtk1l.jpg

Do you notice it during normal watching activity?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Do you notice it during normal watching activity?

Yeah, grey backgrounds or just dark areas like in Hellblade for example. It used to be so clean, was so damn happy about that. Finally a near flawless screen I thought.

I'm now letting Netflix play a movie while I'm doing something else. Hopefully it's gonna fade away, assuming it is IR.

And while hard to see on the picture, there's a horizontal line from left to right on the top. I have no idea wtf this came from.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, grey backgrounds or just dark areas like in Hellblade for example. It used to be so clean, was so damn happy about that. Finally a near flawless screen I thought.

I'm now letting Netflix play a movie while I'm doing something else. Hopefully it's gonna fade away, assuming it is IR.

Pretty weird image retention if that's what it is. Have any idea what it could be from?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Pretty weird image retention if that's what it is. Have any idea what it could be from?

I am trying to figure out what it could be. On daily basis I watch YouTube, Crunchyroll, Netflix and gaming on Xbox and that's. I always make sure that the Screensaver kicks in if I'm leaving the living room for a second. I have the Xbox screensaver/dimmer set to 2 minutes. When I leave the house for longer than ten minutes I turn the TV off.

And sometimes I also just press the source button and click on a HDMI input that isn't being used, so that I see the C9's own Screensaver.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I am trying to figure out what it could be. On daily basis I watch YouTube, Crunchyroll, Netflix and gaming on Xbox and that's. I always make sure that the Screensaver kicks in if I'm leaving the living room for a second. I have the Xbox screensaver/dimmer set to 2 minutes. When I leave the house for longer than ten minutes I turn the TV off.

I don't think it's IR, it clears really fast on my c8 so I would imagine that c9s are even better at that. Probably just screen uniformity or whatever they call that thing.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah IMO that's vertical banding. My B6 has one pretty bad that is noticeable on regular viewing.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Looks like vertical banding to me. Google vertical banding oleds so you can see similar images.
Looks like banding to me. Banding can become more pronounced over time on OLEDs.
Yeah IMO that's vertical banding. My B6 has one pretty bad that is noticeable on regular viewing.

Sigh, yeah, I guess it was just too good to be true that it would stay like this. But just so out of the blue? I didn't notice it at all yesterday. Now let's hope it doesn't get much worse, because then I'm gonna see what LG is gonna do for me, I doubt the store will do much since it's now almost two months ago.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that must be a pretty prominent band, if you can see it like that at 20%, my old B7 had a similar one, and I could see it on so much content, which is in stark contrast to my C8, which is unbelievably clean, and I never see anything.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Ok, this is strange as hell. I decided to enable pixel refresher, TV then turns off for a hour or so. I took a short nap, walked the dog. I come back and the TV has turned itself on again, I check the same background and.....

img_20200331_210213y9j2v.jpg

I do see a ever so slight faint line up top and I think that'll go away but the worst part is completely gone. I have no idea what this was. But just for extra safety I'm just not gonna rely on the Xbox screensaver/dimmer any more and either just turn it off or source > choose a unused HDMI and let it stay there.

There is no way to start LG's own screensaver manually?

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
So any reason to get a C10 over a C9, like any profound reason to wait?
What strikes me as annoying is all the caveats you need to go trough when buying a new tv. I mean 4k120 sounds awesome but you lose HDR, VRR is also weird, even if you have a C9 LG oled you are still only getting VRR with a range of 40 to 60fps. So anything below or above still could cause frame tearing if developers dont work on that(C10 is 40 to 120fps in VRR mode).

I would rather have standards be set in stone before tv manufacturers adopt it, bc you basically get a swamp of info that nobody wants.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
What? Have I missed something?
Yup some tv's do support 4k120 like the Q90r but its 8 bit only(so no hdr). And even now with the new line of qled samsung is misleading to no end. Besides that all models are worse to the R series from 2019(basically the Q80t is basically a q70r). They are sneaky with the specs it seems, saying it has a HDMI 2.1 port but it actually doesnt according to stuff i read on the internet.

So glad i bought a tv last year tbh

But still its kinda confusing to the not super tech savvy people out there. I mean if you see 4k120 you think it will be all the times, but VRR mode as i read it is not used with framerates above 60 on for example the C9

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What strikes me as annoying is all the caveats you need to go trough when buying a new tv. I mean 4k120 sounds awesome but you lose HDR, VRR is also weird, even if you have a C9 LG oled you are still only getting VRR with a range of 40 to 60fps. So anything below or above still could cause frame tearing if developers dont work on that(C10 is 40 to 120fps in VRR mode).

I would rather have standards be set in stone before tv manufacturers adopt it, bc you basically get a swamp of info that nobody wants.

The C9 has a range of 40Hz to 120Hz already at 1440p and that should be the same for 4k at HDMI 2.1. Have you got a source on losing HDR, because that hasn't been said anywhere.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
The C9 has a range of 40Hz to 120Hz already at 1440p and that should be the same for 4k at HDMI 2.1. Have you got a source on losing HDR, because that hasn't been said anywhere.
No its not C9 per se that loses HDR, although there isnt anyone that tested it yet at 4k120. SOme manufactures try to cram in 4k120 via hdmi 2.0 and that xan only be achieved with 8bit.

Also according to LG the C9 is only capable 4k120 with vrr but only goes from 40 to 60fps. To get 4k120 40-120fps you need a cx it seems
youtu.be

LG CX 2020 OLED TV Gets 120Hz BFI + 4K@120p Gaming with G-Sync/ VRR

We checked out the LG CX OLED TV at CES 2020 briefly, exploring the 120Hz black frame insertion (BFI) and 4K@120p gaming with Nvidia G-Sync or VRR (variable ...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also according to LG the C9 is only capable 4k120 with vrr but only goes from 40 to 60fps. To get 4k120 40-120fps you need a cx it seems

I don't think that will be the case, the reps at CES already got things wrong about the C9 and CX differences when we were talking about them back in Jan. Nvidia list it as 4k with between 40-120Hz, but roll on these new GPUs so we can test it ourselves.

Oct 27, 2017
If its worth anything, I'm not optimistic about games doing 4K at (or near enough) 120 being prevalent. I think everyone should be expecting 4K 60 locked in games as best case and anything above that as cherry on top. People with a C9 probably aren't going to be missing out imo.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If its worth anything, I'm not optimistic about games doing 4K at (or near enough) 120 being prevalent. I think everyone should be expecting 4K 60 locked in games as best case and anything above that as cherry on top. People with a C9 probably aren't going to be missing out imo.

Unlss you hook a PC with a 3080ti up.

Now to just hope NVidia don't wait until the end of the year...

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Yup i think most likely we will see 4k60 games 95% of the time. And some games will offer an option for 120fps at a lower resolution(1440 or 1080p).take the rtx2080ti witch is probably the ballpark of what to expect, you already see with games like shadows of the tomb raider at 4k it already sometimes go the the 50fps range in rare occacions. 4k120 for aaa games is probably not happening at least not without sacrificing the settings and SOTT is not even using ray tracing as far as i know.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
There's a C9 info thread on AVS forum that's researched thoroughly. The C9 will support 4K @ 120Hz via a future firmware update.
VRR should cover 40Hz—120Hz.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, this is strange as hell. I decided to enable pixel refresher, TV then turns off for a hour or so. I took a short nap, walked the dog. I come back and the TV has turned itself on again, I check the same background and.....

img_20200331_210213y9j2v.jpg

I do see a ever so slight faint line up top and I think that'll go away but the worst part is completely gone. I have no idea what this was. But just for extra safety I'm just not gonna rely on the Xbox screensaver/dimmer any more and either just turn it off or source > choose a unused HDMI and let it stay there.

There is no way to start LG's own screensaver manually?

Just turn the screen off. I do it everytime when im downloading on PS for example and it will take more than 5 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
No its not C9 per se that loses HDR, although there isnt anyone that tested it yet at 4k120. SOme manufactures try to cram in 4k120 via hdmi 2.0 and that xan only be achieved with 8bit.

youtu.be

LG CX 2020 OLED TV Gets 120Hz BFI + 4K@120p Gaming with G-Sync/ VRR

We checked out the LG CX OLED TV at CES 2020 briefly, exploring the 120Hz black frame insertion (BFI) and 4K@120p gaming with Nvidia G-Sync or VRR (variable ...
With HDMI 2.1, C9 will do 120 hz @4k with VRR. The video you post even states it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Just turn the screen off. I do it everytime when im downloading on PS for example and it will take more than 5 minutes.

Google gave me a great result.

Just speak "turn screen off" via the mic and done! This doesn't power it off, it just only turns the screen to black. Ideal for when I have to take a short break, anything short.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Oh wow, did you guys knew this about OLED screens and sun light?

The photo is below the quoted text.

Here is a follow up from couple weeks ago when a dark patch appeared on my B6. Something similar happened to chunter1001´s C7 and he found out that direct sunlight to the screen was causing the issue. I can concur that direct sunlight indeed is causing the dark patches to the screen. They can be cured by a manual compensation cycle though. I´m not willing to replicate it again so I´m not sure what are the exact circumstances (infrared, visible light, display on/off) for this phenomena. But it seems that LG OLED display should be kept away from direct sunlight. Could the infamous vertical bands even originate from an uneven heat distibution of the display when it is on?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Direct sunlight heating up parts of the screen whilst the compensation cycle runs can lead to dark patches since the adjustments are based on temperature. I have the sun shining directly on the screen for brief parts of the day and haven't had this happen. The chances should be relatively low and it should go away with the next compensation cycle.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yes LG even has a warning about this in the manual.

Had no idea about this. My C9 didn't come with a manual, only a digital one on the TV itself. But I never really worried about this because I never want sunlight on my screen when I game or watch a movie.

Direct sunlight heating up parts of the screen whilst the compensation cycle runs can lead to dark patches since the adjustments are based on temperature. I have the sun shining directly on the screen for brief parts of the day and haven't had this happen. The chances should be relatively low and it should go away with the next compensation cycle.

I don't get it at all, because when the sun shines through and on my screen it's very brief, so I don't really get it. But I also don't know what else it could be. With how careful I am with displaying static images it can't really be IR either. I'm just glad it's gone.