• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the rumor is true and the 48CX launches at $1500 we'll see it under 1K by fall. It's basically game over for the high-end PC monitor market at that rate; if you can fit a 48" display into your setup nothing else makes sense.

I'm going to do a GPU update and a 48CX later this year instead of getting a C9. Finally a display that will do it all and do it all well- PC gaming and consoles plus 4K streaming apps. I'll be ready for the Xbox and Playstation launches too.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
So after about 2+ months of owning my 65C9, I can truly say I love this TV. Gone are the days of nitpicking and constantly trying to adjust away flaws and stuff like my previous TVs. I can just enjoy TV viewing now and it's awesome.

However, since I am nit picky I will say this: the motion interpolation on this thing SUCKS. My first LG TV, but the the motion interpolation is artifact city here. I actually don't mind a very low setting of MI to smooth out 24fps motion. Usually the lowest setting available is nice to smooth out the stutter without adding SOE, at least on my previous TVs. On here even on setting 1 out of 10, it causes artifacts. I don't think I ever recalled seeing artifacts on Sony, TCL, Vizio implementations with higher settings but here on the LG even on the lowest setting it's causes weird artifacts on fast motion.

So I just turn it off and deal with it. Not the end of the world, just surprised such a high end TV has the worst motion interpolation I've ever seen lol.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the rumor is true and the 48CX launches at $1500 we'll see it under 1K by fall. It's basically game over for the high-end PC monitor market at that rate; if you can fit a 48" display into your setup nothing else makes sense.

I'm going to do a GPU update and a 48CX later this year instead of getting a C9. Finally a display that will do it all and do it all well- PC gaming and consoles plus 4K streaming apps. I'll be ready for the Xbox and Playstation launches too.

My only worry about the LG CX 48 will be supply. I hope it isn't too hard to find. It'll definitely be the display of choice for gamers, especially if nVidia's new cards support HDMI 2.1.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yup used to pop up then Samsung disabled it. Honestly, Samsung last few years have made some questionable decisions on their displays.

Samsung has always made questionable decisions. They have a few good models here and there though. My suggestion with any brand is to buy the model not the brand. Some people recommend brands in blanket statements. Like Buy Samsung, Buy Sony, Buy LG. Definitely the wrong way to offer recommendations as all of these manufactures make questionable choices. Samsung a little more so lately though

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung has always made questionable decisions. They have a few good models here and there though. My suggestion with any brand is to buy the model not the brand. Some people recommend brands in blanket statements. Like Buy Samsung, Buy Sony, Buy LG. Definitely the wrong way to offer recommendations as all of these manufactures make questionable choices. Samsung a little more so lately though

That and probably turn off automatic updates and manually apply them after reading about them and seeing if people have issues. Samsung with reducing useful features and adding adverts while LG have had the issues with the brightness on the older models. Heard that Sony went too aggressive on a patch for an older OLED that made the auto logo detection brightness too aggressive.

Meanwhile, waiting for this promised C9 update for eARC uncompressed audio that was scheduled for Q1...

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

I hate LG but they make good affordable OLEDs. I can't stand how scummy they are when it comes to updates to a year/2 year old tv. C8s not receiving the HGIG update is lame as hell.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That and probably turn off automatic updates and manually apply them after reading about them and seeing if people have issues. Samsung with reducing useful features and adding adverts while LG have had the issues with the brightness on the older models. Heard that Sony went too aggressive on a patch for an older OLED that made the auto logo detection brightness too aggressive.

Meanwhile, waiting for this promised C9 update for eARC uncompressed audio that was scheduled for Q1...

Exactly this. LG I swear introduce more issues with their Firmware than they fix at times.Perfect example up until recently when doing a calibration the LUT wouldn't reset on the 9 series. You had to do a Factory Reset. It received the command just didn't actually clear it. Not sure which model SOny made that firmware change to. I usually don't work on models older than 2 years. Not saying I wouldn't just people that contact me usually have something new or one of the previous model year closeouts.

I hate LG but they make good affordable OLEDs. I can't stand how scummy they are when it comes to updates to a year/2 year old tv. C8s not receiving the HGIG update is lame as hell.

They do but you are ultimately buying based on model. If you want an OLED and depending on where you live you have 2-4 choices primarily. Buying an OLED you are buying a specific technology that is only available in certain models. So OLED is much easier than say LCD where every company has LCD's

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Or Airplay 2 or the AppleTV+ app at launch for the C8. LG's app support is so shitty that it's pushed me to wait for get a CX instead of a C9 at a discount.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
My only worry about the LG CX 48 will be supply. I hope it isn't too hard to find. It'll definitely be the display of choice for gamers, especially if nVidia's new cards support HDMI 2.1.

Aren't Sony doing a 48" OLED too?

(How come were stuck with stupid imperial measurements even in Europe for TV sizes?)

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't Sony doing a 48" OLED too?

(How come were stuck with stupid imperial measurements even in Europe for TV sizes?)
They are and I'm guessing it will be the same panel as a CX uses, but I think it won't have some the features of the larger Sony models iirc. I think like HDMI 2.1 etc.

One of my concerns with the LG 48" was that it would be lacking features in order to up sell peeps to the larger sizes, but I'm glad to see that that doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Had a 'realisation' moment today, after being disappointed by Ori WOTW on PC not having HDR at launch, as I wanted to play at 120hz to help combat blurry motion which is particularly bad on sidescrollers, I then started to think about using BFI for 60hz on the X, at the expense of losing a chunk of luminance, but having nice clean motion, it then occured to me seeing the paperwhite slider, that this shortfall could be made up, and low and behold it does, dunno why this hasn't occurred to me before, works bloody excellent :)

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Had a 'realisation' moment today, after being disappointed by Ori WOTW on PC not having HDR at launch, as I wanted to play at 120hz to help combat blurry motion which is particularly bad on sidescrollers, I then started to think about using BFI for 60hz on the X, at the expense of losing a chunk of luminance, but having nice clean motion, it then occured to me seeing the paperwhite slider, that this shortfall could be made up, and low and behold it does, dunno why this hasn't occurred to me before, works bloody excellent :)

You can't just drop that and not share the settings on your c8 and where you placed the paper white in game! I never delved much into the way BFI works in the c8, is it just an on/off toggle?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
You can't just drop that and not share the settings on your c8 and where you placed the paper white in game! I never delved much into the way BFI works in the c8, is it just an on/off toggle?

Only ever use it for 60fps content though, its terrible otherwise, I guarantee you wont see any flicker whilst playing, unless it's a static colour/white etc. Basically stick PW to max and it's around the same as 1 click to the left with BFI off :) so great being able to see the art instead of blurry colours in HDR.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
They are and I'm guessing it will be the same panel as a CX uses, but I think it won't have some the features of the larger Sony models iirc. I think like HDMI 2.1 etc.

One of my concerns with the LG 49 was that it would be lacking features in order to up sell peeps to the larger sizes, but I'm glad to see that that doesn't seem to be the case.

Presuming there will be a big price jump as well.

I don't know that we've seen specs for it though? It could have the HDMI 2.1 features we want without having the full spec ports.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know that we've seen specs for it though? It could have the HDMI 2.1 features we want without having the full spec ports.
I hope not, I'd like to imagine that Sony would make the best TV to pair with a PS5 — but so far the best solution is looking like an LG so thats where I'm heading.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Honestly Samsung is not any better and probably the same applies to other TV manufacturers. Samsung quickly abandoned fixing anything on my 2016 KS8000 and any of the improvements on the 2017 and 2018 models were nowhere to be seen on the older model.

It really irks me that you cannot buy just an upgrade kit for TVs. Samsung offered this for a while for a few models and I thought it was a really great idea. Imagine being able to breath new life into your current panel just by spending a few hundred on an upgradeable box with say HDMI 2.1 support etc. But no, seems it's better to just ditch your whole massive TV and buy a new one.

The user interfaces for settings are also completely horrible on all TV manufacturers with lots of somewhat related things buried deep within multiple submenus and changing them on the fly is usually not fast at all.

Even though TVs have the size, resolution and inputs, I don't think any of them offer picture by picture modes (splitting screen vertically, horizontally or in quads) anymore so you could show multiple inputs at the same time on one screen. You could easily have say multiple people playing different consoles, inviting a friend over and bringing their console to play multiplayer on the same TV and so on.

It's amazing that even Sony hasn't had the bright idea to make the best damn gaming TV they can when it would be a perfect companion to sell as a bundle with a PS4 or 5. LG is really the only one who has truly stepped up in this sector.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017

So far the only Sony TV that's been announced to have VRR support is the X900H. Which works for me because its price will be much more in line with what I want to spend. Still, it'll be strange if they don't support it on their OLEDs.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
OLED prices looking potentially insane this year. Can't believe we're on the cusp of the 77" falling into reasonable price territory by year end.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Just got a 75 inch Philips 6754 ambilight tv for £900. Picture not as good as my old ks7000 but the size is so immersive. Ambilight is great too. Its an ips but ambilight does help contrast in the dark. Always wanted a truly massive tv. I paid £1500 for my 55 ks7000 in 2016. The cheapest 75 inch I could find then was a Hisense for £2300. Amazing what you can get for £900 now. Cheaper than an iPhone lol.

Videophile

Tech Marketing at Elgato
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA
The LG CX 77" is up on Amazon.com for a small fee of $8500...

I don't remember the C9 77' ever being that expensive. Via Greentoe I got an offer for $3749 for the 77" C9 which is super tempting but I think im going to wait for the Rtings review of the CX first..

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

I don't remember the C9 77' ever being that expensive. Via Greentoe I got an offer for $3749 for the 77" C9 which is super tempting but I think im going to wait for the Rtings review of the CX first..

They're just trying to get suckers with a ton of money. I remember last year there was listings for $34000 for C9s on Amazon when they were just about to get released.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

They're just trying to get suckers with a ton of money. I remember last year there was listings for $34000 for C9s on Amazon when they were just about to get released.

Yup, not the real price.
And yeah, the C9 77" was $39K when first listed, haha. Before the actual MSRP became available.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Wait until reviews land and also keep in mind that any new fancy stuff that could be introduced to a CX via firmware may not hit C9s.

I have a hard time coming up with anything the C9 really needs that could be brought in via firmware update. While 120 Hz black frame insertion is nice I suppose, I would not call it a must have feature.

The C9 series right now offers a lot for the money. Best gaming performance of any TV on the market. To me the only reason to buy CX is the 48" model.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I have a hard time coming up with anything the C9 really needs that could be brought in via firmware update. While 120 Hz black frame insertion is nice I suppose, I would not call it a must have feature.

The C9 series right now offers a lot for the money. Best gaming performance of any TV on the market. To me the only reason to buy CX is the 48" model.
C9 doesn't need much honestly. CX will have Freesync support no word yet on if 9 series will get it, 4k 120 over HDMI 2.0, 120hz BFI. Hopefully it will have fully working eARC. Outside of that one thing that is huge to me personally is after doing a LUT it will not lockout WB controls. That last one though most people will never be able to take advantage off but will make things easier for integrator and calibrators, plus it will improve accuracy even more.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Only ever use it for 60fps content though, its terrible otherwise, I guarantee you wont see any flicker whilst playing, unless it's a static colour/white etc. Basically stick PW to max and it's around the same as 1 click to the left with BFI off :) so great being able to see the art instead of blurry colours in HDR.

Just played about 90 mins with BFI and it was freaking awesome. Even just moving the map around was amazing, so much clarity. I didn't know it would make that much of a difference. Turn off motion if you haven't already, it's just full screen blur, not per object.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So any reason to get a C10 over a C9, like any profound reason to wait?
Based on the specs they released not really. But being that they are so close to releasing I would wait a little to see. I went ahead with a C9 77" about a month or so ago and it has been fantastic. I read all the specs I could and I just did not see enough difference in the specs to spend all the extra money on the CX unless I waited until the end of the year to get close to what I payed for the C9.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Anyone come from a bright 4k Led to a Oled?

Id be switching from a Sony X930e that has 1500 peak brightness to a Oled that doesn't do more than 700nits?

I'm worried it will seem dim in comparison, although I hear the contrast/perfect blacks difference makes up for it a bit.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Just played about 90 mins with BFI and it was freaking awesome. Even just moving the map around was amazing, so much clarity. I didn't know it would make that much of a difference. Turn off motion if you haven't already, it's just full screen blur, not per object.

Brilliant man, I was gonna say the same about motion blur toggle, BFI gets a bad rap because people try it with 24/30/50hz content, and its downright awful, but 60 is where it's at :)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone come from a bright 4k Led to a Oled?

Id be switching from a Sony X930e that has 1500 peak brightness to a Oled that doesn't do more than 700nits?

I'm worried it will seem dim in comparison, although I hear the contrast/perfect blacks difference makes up for it a bit.

I went from a display that could hit 2500nits to a C9 , I could see a difference in APL and peak highlights and saturation, but not so much as to ruin the experience. I'm sure you'd notice it more side by side

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the OLED vs QLED question has been beaten to death in this thread already, but I'm hopeful I can get a little help here. My brother is looking to buy a new TV, and he has trouble deciding between a 75" 8K Samsung QLED, or a 77" 4K LG C9. He is aware of the general differences. The higher resolution, higher peak brightness and no risk of burn in are making the Samsung very attractive to him. On the other hand, he can get the OLED for a similar price, and from what I gather compares favorably in terms of picture quality.

I'm personally slightly biased in favor of the OLED, since I have a C7 myself and am aware of the benefits the newer models offer. I'm also not convinced 8K is very important since there's no content right now, and he'll be sitting about 3m away from the display. Furthermore, I don't think he's at risk of burning in the screen. He had a plasma before, and he had no issues with burn in. That said, I want to make sure he makes a buying decision that's best for him.

He's a little worried this time around since he will have his PC connected to it (but not used as his main screen), and there will be more static images displayed compared to his previous TVs. He'll primarily use it for movie watching, the occasional game, and some casual PC usage. He does not watch much TV. Nothing with a static station logo or ticker, at least. Finally, it is in a somewhat bright room. No direct sunlight or anything, but there is a large window near it. So he's a little concerned the OLED may not be bright enough.

Is there anything else I haven't covered here that could change his mind one way or the other? Regardless, I won't be there to enjoy the TV with him since he lives in a different country. So it'll be the annual visit where I get to see it. I'm pretty excited for him, however!

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I'm sure the OLED vs QLED question has been beaten to death in this thread already, but I'm hopeful I can get a little help here. My brother is looking to buy a new TV, and he has trouble deciding between a 75" 8K Samsung QLED, or a 77" 4K LG C9. He is aware of the general differences. The higher resolution, higher peak brightness and no risk of burn in are making the Samsung very attractive to him. On the other hand, he can get the OLED for a similar price, and from what I gather compares favorably in terms of picture quality.

I'm personally slightly biased in favor of the OLED, since I have a C7 myself and am aware of the benefits the newer models offer. I'm also not convinced 8K is very important since there's no content right now, and he'll be sitting about 3m away from the display. Furthermore, I don't think he's at risk of burning in the screen. He had a plasma before, and he had no issues with burn in. That said, I want to make sure he makes a buying decision that's best for him.

He's a little worried this time around since he will have his PC connected to it (but not used as his main screen), and there will be more static images displayed compared to his previous TVs. He'll primarily use it for movie watching, the occasional game, and some casual PC usage. He does not watch much TV. Nothing with a static station logo or ticker, at least. Finally, it is in a somewhat bright room. No direct sunlight or anything, but there is a large window near it. So he's a little concerned the OLED may not be bright enough.

Is there anything else I haven't covered here that could change his mind one way or the other? Regardless, I won't be there to enjoy the TV with him since he lives in a different country. So it'll be the annual visit where I get to see it. I'm pretty excited for him, however!

Since there is pretty much zero 8K content that extra resolution is not particularly useful. For his use case the OLED may not be ideal though because in PC use its built-in screensaver does not activate so to avoid burn-in he would most likely be using the Win+P to turn it on/off as needed.

The OLED will be a better gaming monitor and I would not worry about brightness. Mine is next to a big window and brightness hasn't been an issue so far.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

There is still a fairly sizeable difference in cost there, a 77inch OLED is a pricey bit of kit.
The price scales so quickly along with the size, but the warranty does not and the likelyhood of burn in not not change. I would personally feel uncomfortable knowing that could happen to something so expensive.

There is a significance in both peak brightness and an even bigger difference in full screen brightness. If he has ever been in the situation where the plasma wasn't bright enough, the OLED will be bettter , but the QLED will be outstanding - and the black level differences totally go out of the window in a room with lighting.

And whilst people are correct in that there is no 8K content, at that screen size upscaling will function better a higher native resolution, so regular 1080i tv and non 4K movies may actually scale up there.

Either way they are amazing sets and I don't think you would be wrong or dissapointed with either.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a 4k, VA monitor that can fit on a desk.

Is that 32 inch Benq really the only good option?

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Since there is pretty much zero 8K content that extra resolution is not particularly useful. For his use case the OLED may not be ideal though because in PC use its built-in screensaver does not activate so to avoid burn-in he would most likely be using the Win+P to turn it on/off as needed.

The OLED will be a better gaming monitor and I would not worry about brightness. Mine is next to a big window and brightness hasn't been an issue so far.
There is still a fairly sizeable difference in cost there, a 77inch OLED is a pricey bit of kit.
The price scales so quickly along with the size, but the warranty does not and the likelyhood of burn in not not change. I would personally feel uncomfortable knowing that could happen to something so expensive.

There is a significance in both peak brightness and an even bigger difference in full screen brightness. If he has ever been in the situation where the plasma wasn't bright enough, the OLED will be bettter , but the QLED will be outstanding - and the black level differences totally go out of the window in a room with lighting.

And whilst people are correct in that there is no 8K content, at that screen size upscaling will function better a higher native resolution, so regular 1080i tv and non 4K movies may actually scale up there.

Either way they are amazing sets and I don't think you would be wrong or dissapointed with either.
Thanks for the input. I had a chat with my brother earlier today, and he ended up pulling the trigger on the OLED. He was able to get it for ~€4500. I will inform him of some ways to prevent burn in, such as using an empty desktop, hide his taskbar, and use a screensaver for his PC. I'll feel terrible if he does end up causing burn in since I did nudge him a bit in the OLED direction. Feeling slightly nervous now and wonder if I should have steered him in the direction of the QLED!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
OLED C9

Why are subtitles in Dolby Vision content so crazy bright? I've been watching Narcos season 1 and I notice it everytime and now I watched a recap (before starting season 2)and that recap is in SDR and the subtitles weren't nearly as bright. Why did they do this?