• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Is black crush a pretty common problem with high local dimming settings? I have this problem on my TCL 6-series, but when I switch it to medium local dimming it's fine. But medium doesn't have the gorgeous inky blacks that high setting has, so it's hard to move away from that.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is black crush a pretty common problem with high local dimming settings? I have this problem on my TCL 6-series, but when I switch it to medium local dimming it's fine. But medium doesn't have the gorgeous inky blacks that high setting has, so it's hard to move away from that.

Yeah, it achieves the black level by getting really aggressive with the dimming and turning the lights off for even things that aren't supposed to be pitch black. You'll have to choose which one you prefer.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following the avs forum thread on the cx and it has some likely rumored features like perhaps adjusting the panel.

2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

This thread is only for LG OLED TV models CX and GX. The thread dedicated to gaming with 2020 CX and GX models is here . Do you have problems with

It's a shame 120hz BFI was pulled from the C9. I love the motion clarity the BFI provides for SDR games (too dark for HDR) but the flicker makes me feel nauseous.
Do you own a c9 because this feature is coming back for the CX.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I've been following the avs forum thread on the cx and it has some likely rumored features like perhaps adjusting the panel.

2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

This thread is only for LG OLED TV models CX and GX. The thread dedicated to gaming with 2020 CX and GX models is here . Do you have problems with

Honestly, on SDR games, increasing the OLED Light to compensate for C9 BFI dimming isn't bad either. At least to me I don't notice the flicker on 60fps sources.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Are you referring to the supposed stack and gamut improvements?

it's nice to see 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed is coming via eARC. Just need some Atmos support.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

Yeah, I have a C9. My suspicion is it was bumped to the CX to give it more selling points. I'll live without it.
Honestly, on SDR games, increasing the OLED Light to compensate for C9 BFI dimming isn't bad either. At least to me I don't notice the flicker on 60fps sources.
You're lucky, I notice the flicker and it gives me a headache.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I am planning to buy the new CX 65" by the end of this year to go with my PS5 purchase. I am updating from a Samsung 55" UN55HU8550, and I was wondering if you guys think that the jump would be significant enough. With all the features and with HDMI 2.1, should be safe for another 3-5 years of future proofing, correct?

On a side note, I was planning on getting a whole Dolby Atmos home theatre set-up, but I am leaning more towards a really good soundbar instead. I don't want to have that much clutter (I am going for a more minimalist decoration and lifestyle) and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions? I might be asking in the wrong place though.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Anyone else with a C9 that finds that in game mode, SDR with warm temp it could use a little more.....color? I noticed that Super Lucky's Tale isn't as colorful as it used to look and other games too. Especially in Crunchyroll I notice it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else with a C9 that finds that in game mode, SDR with warm temp it could use a little more.....color? I noticed that Super Lucky's Tale isn't as colorful as it used to look and other games too. Especially in Crunchyroll I notice it.

you are probably just used to the over saturation of your previous set

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I am planning to buy the new CX 65" by the end of this year to go with my PS5 purchase. I am updating from a Samsung 55" UN55HU8550, and I was wondering if you guys think that the jump would be significant enough. With all the features and with HDMI 2.1, should be safe for another 3-5 years of future proofing, correct?

On a side note, I was planning on getting a whole Dolby Atmos home theatre set-up, but I am leaning more towards a really good soundbar instead. I don't want to have that much clutter (I am going for a more minimalist decoration and lifestyle) and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions? I might be asking in the wrong place though.
yeah, I think you should be set for a few good years with a CX or C9.

It may be worth considering an E9, those have a built in sound system that rivals many Decent quality sound bars. They aren't continuing on with the E model with the 2020 range

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
yeah, I think you should be set for a few good years with a CX or C9.

It may be worth considering an E9, those have a built in sound system that rivals many Decent quality sound bars. They aren't continuing on with the E model with the 2020 range
I would also note that 55-> 65 is one of the biggest size upgrades you can make, % wise. Most high-end TVs start at 55, and that first jump to 65 is the biggest incremental area bump you can get compared to 65->75 or 75->82/85. 65->77 is about the same area jump, but the price increase is 100% in OLED as opposed to ~33% from 55 to 65.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
you are probably just used to the over saturation of your previous set

Good point, that's possible. But when I compare Naruto on my Oneplus 3 phone to how it looks on the TV, there's quite a bit more color on the phone. Perhaps I should use a different picture setting for anime.

So would you say that out of the box the SDR/HDR game mode is pretty accurate?

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Stacey Spears confirmed what I always knew to be true about HDR. During most discussions about HDR concerning tone mapping were only related to the peak brightness of the display. 1000 nits - 4000 nits, if your display can match or exceed the peak brightness of the mastering monitor, then there is no need for tone mapping. Well, Stacey Spears just confirmed that the black level is tone mapped. So most content graded on the Sony BVM-X300 OLED with a 0% black, has to be tone mapped on your LCD display and obviously not on your OLED.

This also applies when a LCD is the mastering monitor. So both ends of the EOTF needs tone mapping.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Good point, that's possible. But when I compare Naruto on my Oneplus 3 phone to how it looks on the TV, there's quite a bit more color on the phone. Perhaps I should use a different picture setting for anime.

So would you say that out of the box the SDR/HDR game mode is pretty accurate?

Put it in isf bright or isf dark to watch anime. Or some other regular picture mode. I wouldn't use game mode to watch anime.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
What does this mean as someone whose looking to purchase a C9 soon? What is the benefit from a gaming and movies perspective?
I wouldn't want to use it for movies but for games the motion clarity is pretty incredible. Not that it's anything but stellar already on the C9, but with BFI it's almost CRT level clarity.

The use case for me would only be for SDR games as the hit to brightness is too much for HDR but still within the proper range for SDR. My main interest would be virtual console games on the Switch.

Unfortunately I can see the flicker it introduces, which also gives me a headache, so it's a non-starter for me.

In terms of C9 vs CX it's not a feature that would make me wait or pay significantly more for, but it will be a nice bonus for CX owners, especially those who enjoy retro gaming.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any tv's that don't have horrible blooming when there's a light object on a black background? It looks so awful every time I see it on my TCL 6.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want to use it for movies but for games the motion clarity is pretty incredible. Not that it's anything but stellar already on the C9, but with BFI it's almost CRT level clarity.

The use case for me would only be for SDR games as the hit to brightness is too much for HDR but still within the proper range for SDR. My main interest would be virtual console games on the Switch.

Unfortunately I can see the flicker it introduces, which also gives me a headache, so it's a non-starter for me.

In terms of C9 vs CX it's not a feature that would make me wait or pay significantly more for, but it will be a nice bonus for CX owners, especially those who enjoy retro gaming.

We're getting closer. CRT has a MPRT (moving picture response time) of ~1 ms. Plasma is ~ 2 ms. No trickery required from either display type.

OLED without any BFI has a MPRT of ~16 ms. Absolutely horrific for fast motion. With the current BFI on OLEDs, that goes down to 8 ms. Supposedly with the new BFI system on this year's OLEDs, the max setting should get you 4 ms MPRT. Dangerously close to plasma motion.

Personally I use BFI for all content on my A9F. Even movies I find it helps give a more filmic look since the BFI frequency switches to 48 hz, which is how many cinemas display movies. I barely notice the flicker.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go to blurbusters.com see if BFI would even help you. BFI does nothing for me so its a non issue here and I would not trade the brightness loss for it. But it varies individual to individual.

Thanks! I have a really nice CRT for retro gaming so most of my games will be HDR, not a concern for me then.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
We're getting closer. CRT has a MPRT (moving picture response time) of ~1 ms. Plasma is ~ 2 ms. No trickery required from either display type.

OLED without any BFI has a MPRT of ~16 ms. Absolutely horrific for fast motion. With the current BFI on OLEDs, that goes down to 8 ms. Supposedly with the new BFI system on this year's OLEDs, the max setting should get you 4 ms MPRT. Dangerously close to plasma motion.

Personally I use BFI for all content on my A9F. Even movies I find it helps give a more filmic look since the BFI frequency switches to 48 hz, which is how many cinemas display movies. I barely notice the flicker.
Wow it shows how Stockholm Syndromed I had been by LCDs that I was so impressed with the motion performance of OLED (I never got to use a plasma). No idea the gulf was that large.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Have OLED gone up in price? I could have sworn they were close to $1000. But all the models I see are closed to $1500

Oct 27, 2017

Are you getting ~16 ms@60hz? Should be half that roughly at 120hz, no?That's the reason I state that 30 fps gaming on these things is horrible. Anything that stays sub 40-50s on these is unbearable IMO. That why at least for now since 120hz @4k isn't an option until 2.1 that my target will be 120hz@1440p over 4k@60 for pretty much everything.

For watching media I still need to have these things on a low user settings in the true motion menu. Panning shots are challenging for these displays @24
/30 frames per second

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
Thinking about replacing my Sony X930E 65-inch with the 77-inch OLED. Is the size monstrous over a 65-inch or subtle? I'm seeing nice deals on the 77-inch for the C9 - not sure if I should just wait for the CX 2020 77-inch to drop later this year. Patience...

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about replacing my Sony X930E 65-inch with the 77-inch OLED. Is the size monstrous over a 65-inch or subtle? I'm seeing nice deals on the 77-inch for the C9 - not sure if I should just wait for the CX 2020 77-inch to drop later this year. Patience...

A 77" is ~40% more surface area than a 65", it's a very noticeable difference in my opinion.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good option for a smaller screen? My son wants a small TV / monitor to hook an Xbox 1S up to. Mostly just for FIFA but may also connect his MacBook Pro to.

would a 24-27" 1080p monitor be best or maybe a 32" TV? Needs to be portable enough to throw in the back of a car along with other shit, and easily carried by one person (would be for university accommodation)

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Does anyone have experience with the Vizio and an LG C9? I've never had a non-TV sound system before and I see the prices on it are pretty good right now for what it

Nov 14, 2017
I know the new Sony LCD the X900H isn't out yet but am I better off just getting the LG C9? Does anyone know how they compare? I've never had an OLED so I'm a little concerned about burn-in but everything I've read here and elsewhere makes me think it's not nearly as big a concern as I'm thinking it is.

I've had the X900E for awhile and I'm looking to upgrade with the PS5 and the Series X coming in the fall.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
You probably want to look up a commercial display.
www.samsung.com

Digital Signage Displays | Commercial Displays | Samsung Business | undefined US

Explore Samsung digital signage and find versatile commercial displays like outdoor signage, video walls, interactive displays, standalone and 4K displays.
ouch! Might be out my aunt's price range. lol. There isn't a setting that I can automatically turn the tv off every time after some hours by enabling that once?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
ouch! Might be out my aunt's price range. lol. There isn't a setting that I can automatically turn the tv off every time after some hours by enabling that once?

Most have a sleep timer you can set, otherwise I think some universal remotes allow you to program in commands that respond for a fixed time.
What are you actually using the display for 20 hours a day?