• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have contrast enhance off, maybe thats why I am not experiencing blooming issues. With my preferred settings when contrast enhancer is on, on the q70 I found that it can cause the blacks in game mode be slightly crushed.

It applies a contrast S curve across the image, so darks are blacker and brights are brighter.
Also having smart LeD on high will cause more blooming in SDR mode.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Seriously. I don't know what kind of desks people have to fit a screen size like that. 24-27 is normal, 30-32 is big, almost 50 inches is just insane!!!

Sure it is large, but it is not completely absurd as long as you can put it further away from you. The LG stand is rubbish and takes a lot of space in the back so a heavy duty monitor arm or wall mount would be highly recommended.

The pixels per inch of the display is equivalent to a 24" 1080p display so think of it as four 24" 1080p screens in a grid without bezels. Too bad LG doesn't offer a curved version as that would help make the size more manageable.

Personally I can't go back to small screens anymore. I have a 49" superultrawide on the desk and that could be taller just fine.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Someone once told me, back when I had plasma I believe that these TVs are so good that any apparent flaws or issues in movies, shows, games will become extra visible.

I'm watching Togo on Disney Plus now on my C9, 4K,Dolby Vision. And it's like the movie has this kinda ugly dirty screen (all over the screen, only this movie) effect, making stuff at times very ugly. Willem Dafoe's character in a scene looks crisp as can be while the background around him has this grain on it.

Anyone else noticed that too, that watched the movie? Also, how come movies in the cinema never really have things like color banding but movies on Netflix, videos on a YouTube do?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Someone once told me, back when I had plasma I believe that these TVs are so good that any apparent flaws or issues in movies, shows, games will become extra visible.

I'm watching Togo on Disney Plus now on my C9, 4K,Dolby Vision. And it's like the movie has this kinda ugly dirty screen (all over the screen, only this movie) effect, making stuff at times very ugly. Willem Dafoe's character in a scene looks crisp as can be while the background around him has this grain on it.

Anyone else noticed that too, that watched the movie? Also, how come movies in the cinema never really have things like color banding but movies on Netflix, videos on a YouTube do?
Movies in the cinema are a much higher quality file than on Disney Plus or Youtube.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
48'' as a monitor is crazy.

Seriously. I don't know what kind of desks people have to fit a screen size like that. 24-27 is normal, 30-32 is big, almost 50 inches is just insane!!!
Completely agree with both of you.

With the exception of people that are going to sit 10ft+ back in their living room recliners while using their TVs as a PC gaming monitor or something. I'd get motion sick if my desktop monitor was much bigger than a standard 27".

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Yeesh, thats not good. That means the 82 incher gets a good bit of blooming. I have the 65 inch set. Its gets some blooming, but usually just changing to movie mode fixes that. The TV is so bright, im not surprised it blooms a bit.
So I bought a 75" (Best Buy warranty replacement for my 2015 Sony 4K set). And I regretted not getting the 82". So I called them up to upgrade to the 82". They delivered it and before the geek squad left, I had them swap it back to the 75" that they had already taken to the truck. The blooming in the letterbox bars was a downgrade.

The size of that 82" tv was magnificent for those 15 minutes it was in my house though. :(

I felt bad that I had them carry it twice. The 82" was ridiculously HEAVY!!! I gave them a $40 tip. Lol

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

The color standards used in cinema allow for up to 12 bits per color channel. More bits = less banding.

Blu-ray only allowed for 8 bits. With UHD Blu-ray that has increased to 10 bits. I would imagine most streaming content is still 8-bit, because increasing bit depth means proportionally increasing the bandwidth requirements.

I imagine the huge difference in brightness and contrast is also going to make it easier to see banding on home displays.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
The color standards used in cinema allow for up to 12 bits per color channel. More bits = less banding.

Blu-ray only allowed for 8 bits. With UHD Blu-ray that has increased to 10 bits. I would imagine most streaming content is still 8-bit, because increasing bit depth means proportionally increasing the bandwidth requirements.

I imagine the huge difference in brightness and contrast is also going to make it easier to see banding on home displays.
This reminds me: how much of a real appreciable difference is there between HDR10 and DV? I know the latter is 12-bit but what does that translate into in the real world?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me: how much of a real appreciable difference is there between HDR10 and DV? I know the latter is 12-bit but what does that translate into in the real world?

12 bit doesn't translate to anything without a 12 bit panel. The tone mapping is noticeable for sure though.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
12 bit might never make it to consumer sets. I can't even imagine the amount of data it would require.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
12 bit might never make it to consumer sets. I can't even imagine the amount of data it would require.

It's just 20% more bandwidth than an equivalent 10 bit stream. It's not a crazy requirement. HDMI 2.1 could transport it quite easily even at 4k120 if you sacrifice 4:4:4 chroma. The processing requirements are probably more significant.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's just 20% more bandwidth than an equivalent 10 bit stream. It's not a crazy requirement. HDMI 2.1 could transport it quite easily even at 4k120 if you sacrifice 4:4:4 chroma. The processing requirements are probably more significant.
Agree. And sacrificing chroma is no big deal for TV/games. I doubt game makers would want to go for 12 bits.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
So would right now be like the dumbest time imaginable to go in on the C9? I keep waiting for some kind of not-insignificant price drop and it just isn't happening and I'm just sitting here debating on whether or an additional $700 is worth it between the 55" and 65". I'm about ready to just say fuck it and wait until LG announces their next lineup.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
So would right now be like the dumbest time imaginable to go in on the C9? I keep waiting for some kind of not-insignificant price drop and it just isn't happening and I'm just sitting here debating on whether or an additional $700 is worth it between the 55" and 65". I'm about ready to just say fuck it and wait until LG announces their next lineup.
ces was a month and a half ago

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Very nice comparison by HDTVTest. I always wanted to see the differences of game mode being properly analyzed. Nice to hear that game mode vs cinema mode is almost identical on the C9 (save for the more advanced post-processing which is not available of course). I personally couldn't stand that downgrade of local dimming on the Q90R in game mode.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I am testing this out.

Blooming is definitely worse in game mode than in movie mode or even Natural mode.

But the gamma is definitely different in game mode as you stated. Game mode is brighter.

Contrast enhancer on high makes it worse. Turning contrast enhancer to low or off helps.

Gamma to -1 or -2 helps the blooming.

I don't think it is anything inherent to game mode local backlight adjustment that is messing up the blooming. I think it is more the picture adjustment that causes blooming to appear worse.

Like I said, the only game I've really notice it in so far is Outer Wilds, and that's a pretty extreme case.
As an owner of the Qled range (the 70r in my case) i can say that thats true. The blooming suppression in game mode works differently. Basically i game mode the LED's (when on) are basically all the same brightness, while in Normal, Dynamic, Movie and Natural modes the LEDs can be dimmed somewhat do suppress the blooming. Reason? less calculating, lowe input lag.

TBH i never played my game consoles in Game Mode on any tv i owned. I was never really bothered by the input lag on the other modes. iirc its about 15 ms in Game mode and all the other modes are 40-50iss ms. I played dark souls perfectly fine like that.

So what i would suggest is try any of the other picture settings and make sure to turn off "Clean Digital View" and "Auto Motion plus". Dont know what picture settings has these on by default, but make sure their off, this will lower input lag(in the case their are on by default ofc) And make sure that local dimming is set to high in the settings..

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
As an owner of the Qled range (the 70r in my case) i can say that thats true. The blooming suppression in game mode works differently. Basically i game mode the LED's (when on) are basically all the same brightness, while in Normal, Dynamic, Movie and Natural modes the LEDs can be dimmed somewhat do suppress the blooming. Reason? less calculating, lowe input lag.

TBH i never played my game consoles in Game Mode on any tv i owned. I was never really bothered by the input lag on the other modes. iirc its about 15 ms in Game mode and all the other modes are 40-50iss ms. I played dark souls perfectly fine like that.

So what i would suggest is try any of the other picture settings and make sure to turn off "Clean Digital View" and "Auto Motion plus". Dont know what picture settings has these on by default, but make sure their off, this will lower input lag(in the case their are on by default ofc) And make sure that local dimming is set to high in the settings..

You're describing a situation on your Q70 where there's no local dimming in game mode. The Q90R definitely has local dimming in game mode. I don't think the local dimming is very different between movie mode and game mode on the Q90R except that the LEDs might be brighter in general in game mode. They definitely dim and turn off entirely in different zones, though.

Game mode is also considerably brighter than movie mode, in general. So I could probably simply turn down the backlight to match movie mode. I really don't feel the need to. Game mode still looks great.

Last edited:

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
You're describing a situation on your Q70 where there's no local dimming in game mode. The Q90R definitely has local dimming in game mode. I don't think the local dimming is very different between movie mode and game mode on the Q90R except that the LEDs might be brighter in general in game mode. They definitely dim and turn off entirely in different zones, though.

Game mode is also considerably brighter than movie mode, in general. So I could probably simply turn down the backlight to match movie mode. I really don't feel the need to. Game mode still looks great.
There is local dimming in game mode but its less accurate. Im just saying within the dimming zones outside of game mode the alchoritm can adjust the brightness of the active zones to prevent blooming, that is not present in game mode.

Also game mode is based on the standard picture setting. So comparing it to movie is not really fair.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Very nice comparison by HDTVTest. I always wanted to see the differences of game mode being properly analyzed. Nice to hear that game mode vs cinema mode is almost identical on the C9 (save for the more advanced post-processing which is not available of course). I personally couldn't stand that downgrade of local dimming on the Q90R in game mode.

I'd bet this would be true for any FALD LCD too. More reason to go OLED.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018

Yup its a great video. I do have to say that with a camera capturing the differences you will always see it more obviously.

tbh i never really was a fan of game mode, i play games since the gamecube days and when flat screen became a thing during the wii/360/ps3 era i really never used "game mode". With my older tv i never really bothered bc the image would always take a huge hit (im talking about 2006 era). So with tv's that came after that i never really bothered anymore to try game mode, since i never really thought "why is my character responding slow".

I guess im okay/ used to 50ms of imput lag, not a huge competitive player. But i do perfectly fine in games like MK8 or splatoon 2 on the multiplayer side, and even tough games like dark souls i never really had to do a boss more than a couple of times bf beating it.

Corrent, thats one disadvantage of LCD vs OLED. But yea the perfect tv doesnt (and will never) exist. FALD LCD has its pro's and con's, just like OLED has its pro's and it con's.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

I really can't wait to upgrade my c7 for g sync 4k 120 improved game mode performance alone. My parents going to be the lucky recipient of my c7. Still a great tv and they don't care about gaming so it will last them a long time. They are still using a 50 inch Panasonic plasma, goes to show how good those panny plasmas were but it's time for them to upgrade.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah this is a real bummer to me personally. It's crazy that Sony hasn't made a better LCD than 2016's Z9D. That's all that some of us want: a true ZD9 successor. Hell, they still haven't made another LCD as good as the 930E/940E.
The rate of improvement with tvs has been really slow the last few years. Hopefully the next 3 years is better.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017

Nice work LG.

- Best gaming display by far
- Future proof only display with full HDMI 2.1 in 2019 and 2020 (shame on everyone else)
- Top 3 in HDTVTest blind tests so top 3 TVs is actual picture quality
- Best OS on TV
- Price

LG OLED TVs are the best overall TVs right now without question.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Got my 65' LG C9 hooked up (coming from a 50' 2016 Vizio P) and I just want to say that the upgrade in picture quality is just insane. A perfect picture! I don't ever want to go back to LCD again. The difference is staggering.

It is weird how bendy the tv is though which always leaves me nervous about breaking it. Don't know how durable these things are.

So what's the best piece of hardware for 4K streaming of these options:

-LG C9
-Sony X800M2
-Firestick 4K
-Xbox One X
-PS4 Pro

What would provide the best lag free 4K experience out of those options? Might get a 4K Netflix account going...

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Got my 65' LG C9 hooked up (coming from a 50' 2016 Vizio P) and I just want to say that the upgrade in picture quality is just insane. A perfect picture! I don't ever want to go back to LCD again. The difference is staggering.

It is weird how bendy the tv is though which always leaves me nervous about breaking it. Don't know how durable these things are.

-LG C9
-Sony X800M2
-Firestick 4K
-Xbox One X
-PS4 Pro

What would provide the best lag free 4K experience out of those options? Might get a 4K Netflix account going...
Netflix 4K is Dolby Vision, which PS4 Pro won't do.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

-LG C9
-Sony X800M2
-Firestick 4K
-Xbox One X
-PS4 Pro

For sets this good, the only two streamboxes I like are the Apple TV 4k and the Shield TV.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Nice work LG.

- Best gaming display by far
- Future proof only display with full HDMI 2.1 in 2019 and 2020 (shame on everyone else)
- Top 3 in HDTVTest blind tests so top 3 TVs is actual picture quality
- Best OS on TV
- Price

LG OLED TVs are the best overall TVs right now without question.

Trying to get that LG CX 55in. It would be smarter to cop the C9 but I'll wait.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Trying to get that LG CX 55in. It would be smarter to cop the C9 but I'll wait.
If you can wait a little longer I don't see a reason to buy an older version when the price will be the same in a few months. Personally, if I don't buy my TV from July - November I'm waiting till CES and the next version. No matter how slightly better the next version is

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
If you can wait a little longer I don't see a reason to buy an older version when the price will be the same in a few months. Personally, if I don't buy my TV from July - November I'm waiting till CES and the next version. No matter how slightly better the next version is

Preach and I want this TV to last until MicroLed or MiniLed gets off.

Oct 27, 2017

-LG C9
-Sony X800M2
-Firestick 4K
-Xbox One X
-PS4 Pro

Just use the built in player if you are streaming video. Don't over complicate it.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the HDMI ARC feature with my new LG E9 OLED to send surround audio to my receiver since it has very old HDMI 1.4 tech in it. It worked great for about a week, and then I added a 4K DirecTV receiver to my TV's inputs. HDMI ARC completely stopped working, and no amount of factory resets, power cycling and settings toggling has fixed it.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

Not on my old Panny DX902, it was the same regardless of picture mode, but lag was 38ms though, but it was impressive with an 0.007 ANSI.

That Q90 looks really awful mind, I mean I'd rather take a bigger lag hit than look at that picture, it honestly just looks like a cheap LCD in those dark scenes, and that's not taking into account the HDR hit.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Not on my old Panny DX902, it was the same regardless of picture mode, but lag was 38ms though, but it was impressive with an 0.007 ANSI.

That Q90 looks really awful mind, I mean I'd rather take a bigger lag hit than look at that picture, it honestly just looks like a cheap LCD in those dark scenes, and that's not taking into account the HDR hit.
As Vincent stated at the start of the video, you can't trust a YouTube video to show what a screen really looks like. OLEDs look blue in videos and LCDs always show far more bloom in a video than in person. The Q90R looks great in person, even in game mode, is far brighter, and still has more color volume in bright areas than an OLED due to not needing a white sub-pixel to achieve its brightness.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
As Vincent stated at the start of the video, you can't trust a YouTube video to show what a screen really looks like. OLEDs look blue in videos and LCDs always show far more bloom in a video than in person. The Q90R looks great in person, even in game mode, is far brighter, and still has more color volume in bright areas than an OLED due to not needing a white sub-pixel to achieve its brightness.

Sure, blooming does look worse on a camera, but the very fact that this difference is so big on the video, it's gonna look really obvious in person, as it's pretty clear local dimming is on life support in game mode, plus all that detail crush going on because of backlight switching.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Sure, blooming does look worse on a camera, but the very fact that this difference is so big on the video, it's gonna look really obvious in person, as it's pretty clear local dimming is on life support in game mode, plus all that detail crush going on because of backlight switching.
Again, you can't trust a video to show blooming reliability. I own a Q90R and it is only visible in rare circumstances.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question. Does anyone know if the Samsung Q70R supports gsync now? I've been reading conflicting reports. Been looking for a panel to connect to my PC that can play games at 1440p/120hz and this one seems to be able to do both well. I know the LG OLEDs can do that as well and have confirmed gsync support, but I'd rather not buy an expensive OLED to use as a second PC monitor due to burn in risks etc. So if this Q70R supports gsync as well that'd make it the perfect panel for my current usage.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's a shame 120hz BFI was pulled from the C9. I love the motion clarity the BFI provides for SDR games (too dark for HDR) but the flicker makes me feel nauseous.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question to Sony TV owners. Do you turn on 'X-tended Dynamic Range' for HDR content? I think it makes the colors darker.