• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate on the 30 fps thing? What makes 30 fps games horrible on OLEDs?
I've also heard things about movies not being too great on OLEDs (due to 24 fps I take it?) and this is all quite confusing tbh. Do people not watch movies on their C9s?

Movies look great using the built in features. 30fps games look fantastic too to.me, bar Crash Team Racing which looked weird, but that could just be a racer looking at 30fps in general to me

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
OLEDs have a very short response time which can make 30fps content look jarring at first when you switch from an LCD where all the frames are blurred together more. I personally got used to it after like a day.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I come from owning a Panasonic 65" VT60 that was calibrated to reference D65, 120 nits.

I played tons of games with static HUDs, Binding of Isaac being one of them, Destiny and Destiny 2 as well, which I have a total of 2,500+ hours.

I have had my OLED 65 B8 for about 4,000 hours now and I have zero burn-in, and LESS image retention than I did with my plasma.

I would simply keep your OLED light at 50 or less for SDR, and utilize the built in anti retention features.

I do no utilize the logo luminance feature, nor the pixel shift. The OLED does a compensation cycle every 4 hours so as long as it has power in standby mode you shouldn't have any issues.

HDTV Test and rtings did experiments on YouTube that you can search for.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I come from owning a Panasonic 65" VT60 that was calibrated to reference D65, 120 nits.

I played tons of games with static HUDs, Binding of Isaac being one of them, Destiny and Destiny 2 as well, which I have a total of 2,500+ hours.

I have had my OLED 65 B8 for about 4,000 hours now and I have zero burn-in, and LESS image retention than I did with my plasma.

I would simply keep your OLED light at 50 or less for SDR, and utilize the built in anti retention features.

I do no utilize the logo luminance feature, nor the pixel shift. The OLED does a compensation cycle every 4 hours so as long as it has power in standby mode you shouldn't have any issues.

This. And if you do get burn in, there's tons of examples of people getting courtesy replacements from LG. Just buy from an authorized dealer and register your product.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
Hello everyone, not sure if this thread is also for monitors, but I've been looking recently and am hoping to get some advice. My current monitor is a HP 2311xi, viewing distance 2'-5', almost directly in front always. Not too worried about going above 60FPS, but would like something in 4K and HDR, with superior color quality and equal or greater response times. I'm looking to upgrade alongside next-gen consoles, so I can wait until Nov-Dec if it means better displays will be out/discounted by then.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate on the 30 fps thing? What makes 30 fps games horrible on OLEDs?
I've also heard things about movies not being too great on OLEDs (due to 24 fps I take it?) and this is all quite confusing tbh. Do people not watch movies on their C9s?

Because OLED pixel refresh rate is so fast, the "hold" cycle of a static frame is very long (higher persistence), especially at 30Hz. This causes the perception of even worse motion blur than LCD.

Oct 27, 2017
When you get to 30 fps panning left to right or right to left looks like a quick slide shot because as other have mentioned the response is instantaneous so each frame is noticeable so it does not look smooth. For movies it isnt a big a factor as panning is not nearly are frequent and the other options built in for movies can help with this. Maybe some people this isnt a big deal but for me with gaming smooth motion is more important than resolution.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

Yep. 7865 hours on my B7, and it's my main/only pc monitor too. No burn in, I leave it paused all the time and play games with HUDs too.

Jun 10, 2018
Hello everyone, not sure if this thread is also for monitors, but I've been looking recently and am hoping to get some advice. My current monitor is a HP 2311xi, viewing distance 2'-5', almost directly in front always. Not too worried about going above 60FPS, but would like something in 4K and HDR, with superior color quality and equal or greater response times. I'm looking to upgrade alongside next-gen consoles, so I can wait until Nov-Dec if it means better displays will be out/discounted by then.
Probably depends on how much you are willing to spend. 4K HDR PC monitors generally cost a lot more then the equivalent TV. There are a lot of options toward the budget range, I would suggest VA panels over IPS for HDR since they have far better contrast which is important for HDR. Some monitors also have local dimming (albeit edge-lit local dimming) in the budget/mid-range segment. The ASUS CG32UQ recently came out and has 16 local dimming zones (8 edge-lit zones on each side) with 600 nits of peak brightness as well as FreeSync. Although I think it's a bit too expensive for what it offers at $799.

I also doubt you'll see anything ground breaking in the PC monitor space this year aside from a few Mini-LED monitors that cost more then an OLED. So if you're looking for a monitor I don't see any reason to wait. This is especially true after CES, nothing noteworthy was really announced for PC Monitors outside of the LG 48" CX OLED.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Sorry, I entirely forgot about those. Yes , you are probably right. Certainly for Dolby Vision , the cinema preset is the one to go.

I've been watching anime movies today and I wonder if I should go with cinema or ISF bright room (got lights on, bit of daylight coming in). What would you say is better? For anime you kinda want the colors to come out more, but not too much.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I've been watching anime movies today and I wonder if I should go with cinema or ISF bright room (got lights on, bit of daylight coming in). What would you say is better? For anime you kinda want the colors to come out more, but not too much.

They're the same. Adjust OLED light and gamma to taste.

I'd say using ISF modes have a bit more functionality, so stick with those.

Gamma 2.2 for a bright room, maybe OLED light at 60.

Gamma 2.4 for a dark room, OLED light at 30.

Oct 27, 2017

I think as the years have gone on more safeguards have gone in place for games. 16s and 17s have a bit more exposure where more dimming safe guards have been implemented since those sets were released.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I think as the years have gone on more safeguards have gone in place for games. 16s and 17s have a bit more exposure where more dimming safe guards have been implemented since those sets were released.

Larger red sub pixel. Logo luminance, which I actually keep off, and the mini compensation cycles helped a ton.

The Red pixel getting overdriven, especially with users bumping their OLED light created a lot of burn in with red/magenta. We don't see that problem anymore.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
All, just ordered a Q90 75" but now am reading that Game Mode seems to suffer from some bad blooming due to different dimming technique in that mode. Can anyone elaborate more on this? I do plan to game a good amount on it and was excited for the VRR prospects but it would hate to have a busted game mode for low latency.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
How many more months until we should expect to see the new LG 2020 TVs and reviews?

Mar 11, 2019
All, just ordered a Q90 75" but now am reading that Game Mode seems to suffer from some bad blooming due to different dimming technique in that mode. Can anyone elaborate more on this? I do plan to game a good amount on it and was excited for the VRR prospects but it would hate to have a busted game mode for low latency.
I find it strange someone earlier also complained off more blooming in game mode with the q70r compared to outside of it, and searching online there are a couple reports of people having issues with some games with blooming in game mode only as well. While I have hardly any blooming in my 75q70r.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Some people have mentioned this, but I only ever notice it in certain limited circumstances. Like text or menus on a starfield, for example.

The only game I have noticed it on is Outer Wilds's startup screen where text elements sit in front of a star field. I guess I should turn off game mode to see if there really is a difference in that circumstance.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
Some people have mentioned this, but I only ever notice it in certain limited circumstances. Like text or menus on a starfield, for example.

The only game I have noticed it on is Outer Wilds's startup screen where text elements sit in front of a star field. I guess I should turn off game mode to see if there really is a difference in that circumstance.
Thanks for the info. Do you notice anything else with game mode that would require further tweaking to PQ settings? I recall someone mentioning the gamma curve changes in game mode but haven't found concrete evidence

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

If it's anything like the previous models. game mode is significantly over-brightened on the default gamma setting, which in turn will make the highlights brighter than they often should be and blooming worse.
Setting gamma to -1 in HdR mode makes it track a little more accurately and may help with the blooming as it won't be as bright as often

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder just how hard it will be to find that 48 inch LG CX. I wonder how many PC enthusiasts are going to come out of the woodwork to get that as a monitor and run out the supply.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder just how hard it will be to find that 48 inch LG CX. I wonder how many PC enthusiasts are going to come out of the woodwork to get that as a monitor and run out the supply.

I don't think it'll be major, I think the 2 monitor life is still pretty prevalent

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
If it's anything like the previous models. game mode is significantly over-brightened on the default gamma setting, which in turn will make the highlights brighter than they often should be and blooming worse.
Setting gamma to -1 in HdR mode makes it track a little more accurately and may help with the blooming as it won't be as bright as often

I am testing this out.

Blooming is definitely worse in game mode than in movie mode or even Natural mode.

But the gamma is definitely different in game mode as you stated. Game mode is brighter.

Contrast enhancer on high makes it worse. Turning contrast enhancer to low or off helps.

Gamma to -1 or -2 helps the blooming.

I don't think it is anything inherent to game mode local backlight adjustment that is messing up the blooming. I think it is more the picture adjustment that causes blooming to appear worse.

Like I said, the only game I've really notice it in so far is Outer Wilds, and that's a pretty extreme case.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Seems confirmed now that the 2020 samsung 4k tvs will have hdmi 2.0b. Need to step up to 8k to get hdmi 2.1.

Video filmed in hlg hdr too if you want to watch on your TV.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Seems confirmed now that the 2020 samsung 4k tvs will have hdmi 2.0b. Need to step up to 8k to get hdmi 2.1.

Video filmed in hlg hdr too if you want to watch on your TV.

They support most 2.1 features like ALLM, eARC, and VRR. They just can't do the things limited by bandwidth. Still pretty crappy what they've done to force people into 8K sets for the premier features.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung's on a weird downward curve right now, for gaming features. They were first with FreeSync, first with Steam Streaming built into the TV and now they're not going to support the bandwidth increase that will be great for PC gamers. Plus the ads in the home menu and the year on year improvements for 2019 being slight even Vs. OLED

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Guys, Q90R or X950H?

I know you cannot really compare them because X950H isnt out yet but is it going to be a better TV than Q90R or probably not?

The thing is, Samsung is selling out and not sure if it will be restocked in here, I guess not so Im not sure if I should pull the trigger now or wait for Sony (and a few months more for a price drop)

Thank you very much

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Still, how deep is their desk that they end up sitting at a good viewing distance from the TV?
70cm, viewing distance being anything from 70 to 180cm. At the moment I'm using a 32" main monitor with a 43" secondary monitor and a 26" monitor in portrait for documents and such. Hope is to consolidate this to just the 48" CX and maybe the 32" in portrait.

Grab a controller, pull dat chair back?

Exactly. A big monitor is also a must when using a steering wheel in a setup that is not purpose built for it.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome, thanks. Will have to do some more tweaking it seems, especially when it comes to game specific settings.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Guys, Q90R or X950H?

I know you cannot really compare them because X950H isnt out yet but is it going to be a better TV than Q90R or probably not?

The thing is, Samsung is selling out and not sure if it will be restocked in here, I guess not so Im not sure if I should pull the trigger now or wait for Sony (and a few months more for a price drop)

Thank you very much

I have a Q90R and I highly recommend it. If the X950H is anything like the X950G you will experience a lot of blooming in movies with black bars. It seems most TV MFGs are lowering their dimming zone counts rather than raising them. Sony did it going from the X900F line to the X900G line, Samsung is doing it for the new 4k Q line as well. The Q90R has 480 dimming zones at the minimum. You still get a little blooming, but no where near as bad as the X950G.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I have a Q90R and I highly recommend it. If the X950H is anything like the X950G you will experience a lot of blooming in movies with black bars. It seems most TV MFGs are lowering their dimming zone counts rather than raising them. Sony did it going from the X900F line to the X900G line, Samsung is doing it for the new 4k Q line as well. The Q90R has 480 dimming zones at the minimum. You still get a little blooming, but no where near as bad as the X950G.

With the 65" and the 75" Q90R, the zones line up perfectly horizontally with the black bars on most wide screen films. The 82", however, has a different zone configuration (still 480 zones) which doesn't line up with the black bars, unfortunately.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
With the 65" and the 75" Q90R, the zones line up perfectly horizontally with the black bars on most wide screen films. The 82", however, has a different zone configuration (still 480 zones) which doesn't line up with the black bars, unfortunately.

Yeesh, thats not good. That means the 82 incher gets a good bit of blooming. I have the 65 inch set. Its gets some blooming, but usually just changing to movie mode fixes that. The TV is so bright, im not surprised it blooms a bit.