• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any disadvantages to mounting the TV (OLED if it matters) on the wall? Maybe it's bad for the panel or something. I've never done that.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need a Receiver with 2.1 to get Dolby. I have a receiver (Denon x6400h) that has E-Arc and I am getting Dolby Atmos from my PC. I have the PC connected to HDMI 3, my receiver to HDMI 2 (arc) and I am getting Atmos with no problem. I also have my Xbox One X in HDMI 1 and also getting Atmos.
True, but I don't want to drop a ton of money on a receiver and not get the special low-latency mode or VRR. Buying a receiver right now before the HDMI 2.1 models come out would be foolish.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
True, but I don't want to drop a ton of money on a receiver and not get the special low-latency mode or VRR. Buying a receiver right now before the HDMI 2.1 models come out would be foolish.

I was like you, then I realised I could just connect 3 HDMI 2.1 devices to the TV and use start to get everything. I doubt I'll have more than that (PC and a single console?). Everything else goes through the AVR.

The only 2.1 reciever announced at a reasonable price is a Yamaha one and some really high end Denons have a motherboard swap option when they're ready. With the way HDMI 2.1 rollout is going in TVs, I'm not even sure it is a guarantee this year.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Ok y'all, sell me on your favorite TV for $2000 and under, my 3 year old little girl kinda ruined my ks8000 but it's been time to upgrade anyways.

What I want:
- hdmi 2.1
- great for gaming
- great HDR
- 65"

What's good right now, any deals to keep an eye out for?
You kind of already set us up to say C9.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was like you, then I realised I could just connect 3 HDMI 2.1 devices to the TV and use start to get everything. I doubt I'll have more than that (PC and a single console?). Everything else goes through the AVR.

The only 2.1 reciever announced at a reasonable price is a Yamaha one and some really high end Denons have a motherboard swap option when they're ready. With the way HDMI 2.1 rollout is going in TVs, I'm not even sure it is a guarantee this year.
I'm seriously considering that Denon, but will probably just bite the bullet and hold out for the new Yamahas.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok y'all, sell me on your favorite TV for $2000 and under, my 3 year old little girl kinda ruined my ks8000 but it's been time to upgrade anyways.

What I want:
- hdmi 2.1
- great for gaming
- great HDR
- 65"

slickdeals.net

Greentoe Coupons, Promo Codes, Deals & Sales ~ Apr 2021

Use this valid ERROR% off Greentoe Promo Code today. See all 1 Greentoe coupon, promo, discount, deals & free shipping codes for Apr 2021.

You can get a LG E9, the fancy picture on glass model, for $2099 including tax and shipping, from an authorized dealer. I just got mine delivered last Monday through this deal.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I entirely forgot about those. Yes , you are probably right. Certainly for Dolby Vision , the cinema preset is the one to go.

is there a way to get it to switch between Modes automatically? Eg I normally watch in ISF dark, but if I watch something on Apple TV that triggers Dolby vision can I get it to switch to cinema mode?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is there a way to get it to switch between Modes automatically? Eg I normally watch in ISF dark, but if I watch something on Apple TV that triggers Dolby vision can I get it to switch to cinema mode?

It remembers your last picture setting by input and smart TV app. The problem I have with an AVR is having to change it per input, but I setup a macro on my Harmony to do it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Each type of content (DoVi,HDR,SDR) should remember the preset you chose for it

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
I've seen most sets have a boosted EOTF, not just in "Home" modes. This will throw off accuracy and dynamic range.

That was one of the problems most Vizios had, where there was this bump in the midtones, Grayscale was way off, colors would appear under saturated. You could calibrate it and get the DV EOTF to track accurately, but frustration set in because of the amount of adjustment needed.

Then on top of that, Vizio had a highlight defeating feature. Voltage to LEDs were reduced to prevent haloing and light bleed in to the black bars. They eventually changed it, and just tweaked the backlight zone algorithm.

I suggested they calibrated using ICtCp Delta E for future firmware updates. I don't know if they listened to me or what, but the D65 white point is spot on.

The midtones bump is gone, so DV content properly tone maps. Colors are amazingly accurate.

Mar 11, 2019
It looks like non of the 2020 4K Samsung TVs will have hdmi 2.1, but like some 2019 models do support some features from it. Their reasoning is claimed to be costs.

Mega Man X

Oct 25, 2017

What I want:
- hdmi 2.1
- great for gaming
- great HDR
- 65"

LG C9 easily.

Do any other sets besides some 8k models and LG SM9000/9500 even offer full HDMI 2.1 support?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if you actually read my post, but if a receiver today has earc, you connect your PC or Console directly to the TV which allows you to have VRR/GSync etc. while the TV then sends the audio signal to HDMI2 which is the Arc HDMI port to the receiver sending the Dolby Atmos signal (in my case). I still get all the benefits of VRR/GSync on my Xbox One X and PC PLUS Dobly Atmos without having a receiver that has HDMI 2.1.

Nov 14, 2017

Sony x90h will as well, if you are looking at a good non oled led set.
[/QUOTE]
Do we know when that launches?

I'm in the market for a new TV but want to make sure I get one with HDMI 2.1. I know the C9 has it but the burn-in scares me a bit.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I turned off VRR on my Q90R, and the difference in Call of Duty Modern Warfare multiplayer on my Xbox One X is immense. I'm blown away at the difference it makes. So much screen tearing. I didn't realize I was being spoiled by it until I turned it off.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Sony x90h will as well, if you are looking at a good non oled led set.
Do we know when that launches?

I'm in the market for a new TV but want to make sure I get one with HDMI 2.1. I know the C9 has it but the burn-in scares me a bit.
[/QUOTE]
They haven't announced a date yet to my knowledge. But I'd expect April or May. I've got my eye on the X900H as well.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Sony 2020 TV lineup is a complete mess. I figured that hdmi 2.1 might be relegated to only high end, but Sony throwing this all in a loop with what they are doing. 2020 is the messy transition year for sure for tvs.

We don't have new consoles out yet to test so it's probably a little early to know what is best to use.
Yeah this is a real bummer to me personally. It's crazy that Sony hasn't made a better LCD than 2016's Z9D. That's all that some of us want: a true ZD9 successor. Hell, they still haven't made another LCD as good as the 930E/940E.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Is Dolby Vision is big upgrade over standard HDR10 (LG C9 user) from 4K discs? I have an Xbox One X and I was wondering if it was worth getting a Sony X800M2 or not.
As someone whom just recently upgrade from the X800 to the X800M2 I can tell you that it was well worth it. It has bugged me for close to two years that I didn't have DV capability from discs. I always wanted the ability but didn't want to spend the extra money. Well the X800M2 player is much better than the previous iteration. It no longer has trouble reading discs straight from the factory. It also loads discs much faster. Everything is real snappy. (Don't get it for the apps though, as it appears to only run Netflix, Prime, and Youtube.) I'm currently rewatching Westworld S1 in UHD and boy is it nice to have DV enabled outside of just Netflix now. (S3 comes out on Mar 15th omg!)

So I'm very satisfied with my purchase. The one main drawback is that you have to manually enable DV from the settings; there is no detectable auto-DV. As long as you remember to turn it off each time when starting a different session then its not a problem. It bothered me for a few days and then I adapted just fine. It's nice to finally have Dolby Vision.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Flagship LCDs haven't really made sense outside of a very narrow usage case since 2016, if we're being honest. And the newer flagships are actually worse due to the greatly-reduced contrast ratios, which Sony/Samsung sacrificed for viewing angles. The Z9D was probably the pinnacle of LCDs.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
No. Like what you like, but I will ask why? It is easy to understand if you can't afford OLED but at the Z9 price point with the latest OLEDs it doesn't make sense to me.
I prefer the greatly increased brightness for HDR and with my usage habits I don't want the liability of burn-in nor image degredation over time.

Even if I bought an OLED I would prefer to have a Sony for it's better image processing and motion handling. The Bravia-sync and cohesion among your other Sony hardware is nice to have too.

Flagship LCDs haven't really made sense outside of a very narrow usage case since 2016, if we're being honest.

LOL

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Flagship LCDs haven't really made sense outside of a very narrow usage case since 2016, if we're being honest. And the newer flagships are actually worse due to the greatly-reduced contrast ratios, which Sony/Samsung sacrificed for viewing angles. The Z9D was probably the pinnacle of LCDs.
LCDs are going to get better again once the dual panel models hit the market. Then you can have IPS viewing angles with huge contrast ratios.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone whom just recently upgrade from the X800 to the X800M2 I can tell you that it was well worth it. It has bugged me for close to two years that I didn't have DV capability from discs. I always wanted the ability but didn't want to spend the extra money. Well the X800M2 player is much better than the previous iteration. It no longer has trouble reading discs straight from the factory. It also loads discs much faster. Everything is real snappy. (Don't get it for the apps though, as it appears to only run Netflix, Prime, and Youtube.) I'm currently rewatching Westworld S1 in UHD and boy is it nice to have DV enabled outside of just Netflix now. (S3 comes out on Mar 15th omg!)

So I'm very satisfied with my purchase. The one main drawback is that you have to manually enable DV from the settings; there is no detectable auto-DV. As long as you remember to turn it off each time when starting a different session then its not a problem. It bothered me for a few days and then I adapted just fine. It's nice to finally have Dolby Vision.

Or just get a Panasonic UHD player which wasn't designed by someone stupid and can actually switch on DV for disks that support it.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Or just get a Panasonic UHD player which wasn't designed by someone stupid and can actually switch on DV for disks that support it.
Sure, if you don't mind spending $500 for a player. It also has the HDR optimizer that's pretty awesome apparently.

But getting a good player for $200 was a much better deal for me.

My few friends that I have gotten interested in 4K UHD disc watching were never even remotely interested in spending 500 bucks on a new player. Neither am I. That's nearly half of a brand new television. I'll also be buying a PS5 (another player) in the fall.

If I wanted to spend $500 on a player I would have bought the Oppo-203 and the internal region-free mod years ago.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LCDs are going to get better again once the dual panel models hit the market. Then you can have IPS viewing angles with huge contrast ratios.

It's a neat idea to mitigate some of the issues with LCDs (not a new idea, I remember discussing dual LCDs on AVSforum like over a decade ago) but that's a tiny $30k reference monitor. What will the price be on a flagship consumer dual-layer LCD? By comparison, OLED just keeps getting better and cheaper, and having per-pixel brightness control will always win out over even dual-LCD displays as far as luminance accuracy in scenes; feels like a stopgap to try and squeeze a few more years out of LCD tech tbh.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's a neat idea to mitigate some of the issues with LCDs (not a new idea, I remember discussing dual LCDs on AVSforum like over a decade ago) but that's a tiny $30k reference monitor. What will the price be on a flagship consumer dual-layer LCD? By comparison, OLED just keeps getting better and cheaper, and having per-pixel brightness control will always win out over even dual-LCD displays as far as luminance accuracy in scenes; feels like a stopgap to try and squeeze a few more years out of LCD tech tbh.
The commercial model is ~$2500 in China.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
No. Like what you like, but I will ask why? It is easy to understand if you can't afford OLED but at the Z9 price point with the latest OLEDs it doesn't make sense to me.

OLEDs don't get as bright. My tv has twice the nits of an OLED. It's eye searing and awesome. And it doesn't dim the picture if the entire scene is bright like an OLED does.

And none of the OLEDs have as good a reflection rejection as my Q90R does.

Also, large OLEDs are ridiculously expensive. I had a 65" TV before, and I wanted a larger tv.

The room my tv is in is very bright with glass French doors facing it. My last TV Sony 65X900A wasn't terribly bright, despite being a top of the range tv for the year it was made. I was tired of not being able to play dark games during the day on weekends.

My 75" Q90R is awesome. Particularly for my needs.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It's a neat idea to mitigate some of the issues with LCDs (not a new idea, I remember discussing dual LCDs on AVSforum like over a decade ago) but that's a tiny $30k reference monitor. What will the price be on a flagship consumer dual-layer LCD? By comparison, OLED just keeps getting better and cheaper

Actually, OLED panels have stagnated for around 3 years now. They're still great, but they haven't been able to get them any brighter.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, if you don't mind spending $500 for a player. It also has the HDR optimizer that's pretty awesome apparently.

But getting a good player for $200 was a much better deal for me.

My few friends that I have gotten interested in 4K UHD disc watching were never even remotely interested in spending 500 bucks on a new player. Neither am I. That's nearly half of a brand new television. I'll also be buying a PS5 (another player) in the fall.

If I wanted to spend $500 on a player I would have bought the Oppo-203 and the internal region-free mod years ago.
You can get cheaper Panasonic players that support DV without the HDR optimiser.

Panasonic DP-UB450EB-K 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player with HDR10+ & Dolby Vision https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PZ8K9Y2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wDzsEbARFPZ7Z

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OLEDs don't get as bright. My tv has twice the nits of an OLED. It's eye searing and awesome. And it doesn't dim the picture if the entire scene is bright like an OLED does.

Also, large OLEDs are ridiculously expensive. I had a 65" TV before, and I wanted a larger tv.

The room my tv is in is very bright with glass French doors facing it. My last TV Sony 65X900A wasn't terribly bright, despite being a top of the range tv for the year it was made. I was tired of not being able to play dark games during the day on weekends.

You are giving up a huge amount of dark scene performance for that brightness, and the perceived depth of contrast in HDR is actually worse compared to OLEDs in mixed scenes under critical viewing conditions. That's a trade-off that I would never make. Now granted your room is very bright, so for you it may make sense. But that goes back to what I said, the use case for LCDs has really shrunk, and in particular for flagship LCDs, which are actually more costly than OLED at 65".

I do wish the larger sizes were cheaper, though. Going to 77" would be a dream but not at that money, lol.

Actually, OLED panels have stagnated for around 3 years now. They're still great, but they haven't been able to get them any brighter.

Agreed. OLED improvements are more incremental at this point. If you bought a B6 in 2016 you're getting very similar IQ to a 2020 OLED.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

word. I know you love your Samsung.

I just wish people would be more tolerant. I don't know what's up with the "OLED is better in every way" people. The people that immediately need to retort by explaining the benefits of OLED, as if we aren't aware.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
word. I know you love your Samsung.

I just wish people would be more tolerant. I don't know what's up with the "OLED is better in every way" people. The people that immediately need to retort by explaining the benefits of OLED, as if we aren't aware.

I agree I was looking at a q90 pretty seriously last year for my living room. There are some issues with OLED still. Oled potential for screen issues is higher than lcd TVs. Playing 30 fps games are absolutely horrible in my opinion on oleds. Rooms without as much light control lcd screens can show better. I think they both have their use cases.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've avoided OLED for the simple fact of a significantly increased chance of burn-in. Sometimes I fall asleep with my TV on all night.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I've avoided OLED for the simple fact of a significantly increased chance of burn-in. Sometimes I fall asleep with my TV on all night.

Burn-in on the latest OLEDs is really an irrational fear. If you fall asleep with the TV on, just be sure to set the timer on your console to shutoff after having no input for x amount of time. The TV will go to a screen saver when there is no signal or you leave one of the TV apps running and then shut itself off.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Alright so Im gonna go with the C9 or e9, am I going to be disappointed with the peak brightness on this screen, HDR or otherwise? I'm coming from a ks8000, room is plenty dark.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Burn-in on the latest OLEDs is really an irrational fear. If you fall asleep with the TV on, just be sure to set the timer on your console to shutoff after having no input for x amount of time. The TV will go to a screen saver when there is no signal or you leave one of the TV apps running and then shut itself off.
Source? I don't have anything that leads me to believe it's still not a factor if you play or watch content that has static content a lot.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I agree I was looking at a q90 pretty seriously last year for my living room. There are some issues with OLED still. Oled potential for screen issues is higher than lcd TVs. Playing 30 fps games are absolutely horrible in my opinion on oleds. Rooms without as much light control lcd screens can show better. I think they both have their use cases.
Can you elaborate on the 30 fps thing? What makes 30 fps games horrible on OLEDs?
I've also heard things about movies not being too great on OLEDs (due to 24 fps I take it?) and this is all quite confusing tbh. Do people not watch movies on their C9s?