• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
What are the best preset settings to use on an LG C9 for someone who watches movies/tv shows (4K content)(UHD, Netflix, etc) in a dark room who wants a good vibrant picture?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What are the best preset settings to use on an LG C9 for someone who watches movies/tv shows (4K content)(UHD, Netflix, etc) in a dark room who wants a good vibrant picture?
www.rtings.com

LG C9 OLED Calibration Settings

We used the following calibration settings to review the LG 55" C9 (OLED55C9), and we expect them to be valid for the 65" model (OLED65C9), and the 77" model (OLED77C9).

They have both SDR and HDR use cases covered.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
It's not just Sony though. The transition to HDMI 2.1 and features has been a slog with almost all manufacturers. I mean I am sure there are reasons, but it seems like a sure fire bet that most manufacturers coming into 2020 ces would have more offerings.
Yes, I was thinking It probably is not as easy as just putting some HDMI 2.1 ports on the tv's. Those TV's have to be capable of higher refreshrates.
That means that the panels have to have a faster response time and that could be a problem for some TV's with A VA Panel.

I have been reading into VA Monitors lately because I like the High contrast but every review I read that those panels are far from Ideal regarding response times
Ghosting issues become more frequent the higher the refreshrate. It takes a lot of tweaking for Monitor developers.

On an Oled display the responsetimes are a lot quicker and maybe that Is Why LG can already bring 2.1.

GuyFive

Oct 26, 2017
Been having a real hell of a go getting a 65" B9 from Amazon. Was "scheduled" for Tuesday delivery. Call 1 minute before the delivery window closes and they say oh yeah that never shipped. Get told Wednesday's the day (it wasn't) now I'm looking at next Saturday because of my schedule and delivery windows. Learned something about amazon CS. The chat function can't get you a manager. Always call. Was offered 15% off the tv on delivery which is all that's having me hold on to this delivery.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
So I'm looking to build a new PC and, due to a number of reasons, I will have to use my LG C9 55 inch as a monitor. I'll be sitting on a comfy armchair with some sort of table to hold the keyboard/mouse. However before I start seriously planning for it I've got a few questions:

1) When it comes to burn-in should I be worrying about using the PC as a monitor? I don't expect to use it a significant amount of the time seeing as I've got a laptop that's perfectly fine for general browsing, but I will be using it for probably an hour each day (on average).
2) Is it OK if I shoot for 1440p gaming instead of 4K gaming? Is there any easy way I can test what a 1440p game looks like on my TV from Xbox One X or PS4 Pro? I don't have nearly enough money to go for 4K PC gaming but a 2070 Super is in my price-range and that seems to be great for 1440p
3) Will Variable Refresh Rate work out of the box? I might consider using the TV's 120hz capabilities when playing games, but only if I can get that with the benefits of VRR.

Any help would be much appreciated!

1. Keep OLED light low and autohide the taskbar, maybe setup a rotating wallpaper and screensaver and you would be fine even for using it as your main screen.
2. Sure. If you have Uncharted 4 I think that renders at 1440p.
3. As long as you have the latest firmware update and enable G-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel.

Mar 11, 2019
For those with samsung QLEDS, I was saying multiple times in here that Freesync was causing ghosting with samsung qleds and my Q70. I was wrong (at least with the games I tried):

I tried multiple games: The cause of ghosting with my TV was having judder reduction on (setting within game motion plus). And combined with Freesync worsened the ghosting. This was not really noticeable on 60fps games (tested BF1 and DOA 6), but it was very visible with dreams and bloodborne.

The added value of Freesync seemed most noticeable with dreams, and somehow it was more in the sense of character movements feeling less heavy. In other games it was hardly noticeable, I guess it would benefit games the most with unlocked fps.

With bloodborne what improved the game the most was having blur reduction in game motion plus to 10. This gives to me a very big improvement in character motion, as if it is a 60fps game motion wise, and somehow it also seems to give a subtile improvement in the lighting in the game. Almost as if it is the PS5 remaster. This did not seem to give noticable improvement for DOA 6, although this game is already amazing in motion on the TV with and without blur reduction.

Also for other Q70 owners, if you will not calibrate the TV, the flatpanel white balance settings with slight adjustments (on my part for my TV) seems to give much better calibrated colors as I noticed that some yellow letterboxes on my previous TV had a greenish color to them on this TV, the flatpanel settings corrected this for me:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1560322947#3

Last edited:

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
For those with samsung QLEDS, I was saying multiple times in here that Freesync was causing ghosting with samsung qleds and my Q70. I was wrong (at least with the games I tried):

I tried multiple games: The cause of ghosting with my TV was having judder reduction on (setting within game motion plus). And combined with Freesync worsened the ghosting. This was not really noticeable on 60fps games (tested BF1 and DOA 6), but it was very visible with dreams and bloodborne.

The added value of Freesync seemed most noticeable with dreams, and somehow it was more in the sense of character movements feeling less heavy. In other games it was hardly noticeable, I guess it would benefit games the most with unlocked fps.

With bloodborne what improved the game the most was having blur reduction in game motion plus to 10. This gives to me a very big improvement in character motion, as if it is a 60fps game motion wise, and somehow it also seems to give a subtile improvement in the lighting in the game. Almost as if it is the PS5 remaster. This did not seem to give noticable improvement for DOA 6, although this game is already amazing in motion on the TV with and without blur reduction.

Also for other Q70 owners, if you will not calibrate the TV, the flatpanel white balance settings with slight adjustments (on my part for my TV) seems to give much better calibrated colors as I noticed that some yellow letterboxes on my previous TV had a greenish color to them on this TV, the flatpanel settings corrected this for me:

I think thats just placebo, iirc ps4 and ps4 pro dont support freesync

Plum

May 31, 2018
1. Keep OLED light low and autohide the taskbar, maybe setup a rotating wallpaper and screensaver and you would be fine even for using it as your main screen.
2. Sure. If you have Uncharted 4 I think that renders at 1440p.
3. As long as you have the latest firmware update and enable G-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel.

Thanks! Looks like I should be fine overall, then. Just played some Fallout 4 on PS4 Pro which, despite looking a bit soft (which is likely just due to the AA solution they're using), looks great at 1440p.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anywhere that says the b/c 9 will be able to do 120hz 4k hdr w/gsync. I mean written anywhere online? It seems like it all speculation at this point with the only proof I think we've seen 120 hz g-sync with HDR 1440p but will not have confirmation until 2.1 comes out which makes me a bit weary. I know at this point that 120 hz with HDR at 4K will be doable I think for both the C9 and the b9 series, but what about with g-sync?

Mar 11, 2019
I think thats just placebo, iirc ps4 and ps4 pro dont support freesync
Ic thanks for the correction, I was not aware of it, I guess thats why I did not notice much with other games since its well spoken off in here I was wondering what the hype was about. But it does do something to the screen with some ps4 games in combination with judder at 10: giving additional ghosting effects.

Oct 27, 2017
Ic thanks for the correction, I was not aware of it, I guess thats why I did not notice much with other games since its well spoken off in here I was wondering what the hype was about. But it does do something to the screen with some ps4 games in combination with judder at 10: giving additional ghosting effects.
You should not have any post processing effect on you are adding a fair amount of lag.

Nakazato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about buying a B9 this weekend or next.

I'm hearing the whole burn in thing is overblown. But I'm concerned that if I play an MMO or a JRPG I'll have the health bars burnt in. Do the TV's have anything to help with game possible game out UI burn in ?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm looking to build a new PC and, due to a number of reasons, I will have to use my LG C9 55 inch as a monitor. I'll be sitting on a comfy armchair with some sort of table to hold the keyboard/mouse.

If you fancy spending a bit more money, and want an excellent sofa PC experience, buy this keyboard and lapboard with a Dark Core mouse, absolutely brilliant, way better than a table.

K63 Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and Gaming Lapboard Combo — Blue LED — CHERRY® MX Red

Experience complete PC gaming control wirelessly from the comfort of your living room or anywhere with the K63 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard and Gaming Lapboard.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Ita best to turn the extra game mode options off. Personally i play in non game mode. Blooming supression is way better outside of game mode and i didnt really notice the extra lag.

(Got the same tv as you, got a 55 inch q70r)

Plum

May 31, 2018
If you fancy spending a bit more money, and want an excellent sofa PC experience, buy this keyboard and lapboard with a Dark Core mouse, absolutely brilliant, way better than a table.

K63 Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and Gaming Lapboard Combo — Blue LED — CHERRY® MX Red

Experience complete PC gaming control wirelessly from the comfort of your living room or anywhere with the K63 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard and Gaming Lapboard.

I did look into one of those but the fact that you need to buy another keyboard to use the lapboard is a bit much. The lapboard and keyboard would be £175 alone and that's not including the mouse and I have a perfectly OK mechanical and gaming mouse already. I'll have to think about it, especially since I'm on an armchair instead of a sofa so the 'intended' usage wouldn't 100% work.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'm thinking about buying a B9 this weekend or next.

I'm hearing the whole burn in thing is overblown. But I'm concerned that if I play an MMO or a JRPG I'll have the health bars burnt in. Do the TV's have anything to help with game possible game out UI burn in ?
The logo lumiance adustment for the LG TVs would be the closest feature but I'm not sure if it works on HUDs, even in game mode. So as long as the TV isn't set extremely bright whenever your playing, you should be fine.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
For as good as rtings is, why do they tell people to change white balance settings?

They don't. They explicitly say that the white balance settings are the results of calibration for their unit.

"The following are the results of the white balance and colorspace calibration on our unit. They are provided for reference, and should not be copied as the calibration values vary per individual unit even for the same model and same size as the TV we reviewed due to manufacturing tolerances."

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

PS4/PRO does not support VRR/Freesync, so what you are seeing in Dreams is not because of Freesync. Both the TV and the Source (Console) need to support it.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Sony 950g but damn I feel like I'm using a old large android phone at times. Sony needs to tighten up their apps.

YouTube tv app is constantly bugging out.
Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube have intermittent skips that do not happen when I use a fire stick.

Sound goes out at times, i suspect this is a Sonos issue but it doesn't happen with my fire stick.

Bummer because the image quality on this Tv is amazing.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
So my 2008 samsung is finally dying. :( I can get whatever, but if I'm afraid of burn-in should I just not even bother with oled? And how long is an oled even designed to last before wear down? (yeah, I like running stuff into the ground totally before upgrading).

Looks like Samsung announced their new tvs, but without any real specs (and
they're just bumping up weaker models from last year and calling them better ones?) and I'm assuming they wont have hdmi 2.1 so I was just thinking of getting a 2019 q90. The 2019 8k is supposed to have 2.1 on a port, but apparently the 4k is a better tv for cheaper. Or maybe I can just buy something small and cheap and wait to see if 2.1 is on more TVs in 2021?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Decided to demo some Disney + stuff on the C9, oh my what a difference once again compared to my previous TV, the Q9FN. The picture is just that more crisp and that really goes a long way but even things like The Mandalorian looked a great deal better and nowhere near as dim. Is Dolby Vision perhaps proper HDR compared to HDR10 in that show? I remember how dim it was on the Q9FN in HDR10.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to demo some Disney + stuff on the C9, oh my what a difference once again compared to my previous TV, the Q9FN. The picture is just that more crisp and that really goes a long way but even things like The Mandalorian looked a great deal better and nowhere near as dim. Is Dolby Vision perhaps proper HDR compared to HDR10 in that show? I remember how dim it was on the Q9FN in HDR10.

Dolby Vision is HDR10 with tone mapping basically.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Could ghosting be from having Black Frame Insertion enabled (which in my experience can cause double images on moving content)? Or is this a different type of ghosting artifact?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Are you using Dolby cinema home? That brightens things up considerably

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Could ghosting be from having Black Frame Insertion enabled (which in my experience can cause double images on moving content)? Or is this a different type of ghosting artifact?

I think the ghosting he is seeing is probably just motion interpolation artifacts. That can leave a trail like a temporal AA solution will.
Especially if he's got those settings cranked upto10

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anywhere that says the b/c 9 will be able to do 120hz 4k hdr w/gsync. I mean written anywhere online? It seems like it all speculation at this point with the only proof I think we've seen 120 hz g-sync with HDR 1440p but will not have confirmation until 2.1 comes out which makes me a bit weary. I know at this point that 120 hz with HDR at 4K will be doable I think for both the C9 and the b9 series, but what about with g-sync?
Oh well I have no patience. I just picked up a 55 C9 for gaming. I think I'm good on TVs for awhile. I guess I'll find out if it does 4k 120hz HDR gsync later this year, hopefully the gamble pays off.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So my 2008 samsung is finally dying. :( I can get whatever, but if I'm afraid of burn-in should I just not even bother with oled? And how long is an oled even designed to last before wear down? (yeah, I like running stuff into the ground totally before upgrading).

Looks like Samsung announced their new tvs, but without any real specs (and
they're just bumping up weaker models from last year and calling them better ones?) and I'm assuming they wont have hdmi 2.1 so I was just thinking of getting a 2019 q90. The 2019 8k is supposed to have 2.1 on a port, but apparently the 4k is a better tv for cheaper. Or maybe I can just buy something small and cheap and wait to see if 2.1 is on more TVs in 2021?
The 8K TVs are stupid expensive. It's why they're doing this bullshit switcheroo on their models to push people to actually buy them, even though buying an 8K TV is the dumbest thing anyone can do right now.

I just need a 55" model, and given how the Q90R wasn't in 55, only 65 in the USA, I had been eyeing the Q80R or Q80T, but after seeing how much it got neutered this year, I've realigned my sites towards the Sony X900H. No price or date yet, but it seems that'll have HDMI 2.1, even though they haven't confirmed it. It literally has everything HDMI 2.1 brings (VRR, 4K120, etc.) so I'm waiting on that right now.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Dolby Vision is HDR10 with tone mapping basically.

The dynamic metadata - tone mapping is one of many things that contributes to the PQ that Dolby Vision produces.

ICtCp color Designed for HDR
12 bits, which is a little more involved and requires a Full Enhancement Layer.

And the many tools and features available to colorist and cinematographers, allowing the content to nearly match what is produced on the Dolby Pulsar, Sony HX310 and Flanders Scientic XM310K.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Oh well I have no patience. I just picked up a 55 C9 for gaming. I think I'm good on TVs for awhile. I guess I'll find out if it does 4k 120hz HDR gsync later this year, hopefully the gamble pays off.
I'm pretty sure Nvidia is just implementing their version of HDMI vrr standard with their HDMI g sync and HDR already works with g sync on c9. Just need the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 to hit 4k120.

Deleted member 63832

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 14, 2020
So I think its safe to update to the latest firmware for those on the C8/E8.

Looks incredible and near black levels are way better than I remember.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is Dolby Vision is big upgrade over standard HDR10 (LG C9 user) from 4K discs? I have an Xbox One X and I was wondering if it was worth getting a Sony X800M2 or not.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

chuck it in ISF dark room as a good baseline, and you can then tweak to your preference. Main things you might want to look at are "OLED light" for how bright the image is in your room, the various trumotion settings for judder etc, and colour warm 1/warm 2 etc which should be fine on default but may not be to you taste

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
chuck it in ISF dark room as a good baseline, and you can then tweak to your preference. Main things you might want to look at are "OLED light" for how bright the image is in your room, the various trumotion settings for judder etc, and colour warm 1/warm 2 etc which should be fine on default but may not be to you taste

Alright thanks! :)

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

the "cinema" presets are the best ones to use. You can leave them almost entirely unadjusted (I'd turned the sharpness down to 0)