• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else sometimes find on their c9 that you launch an app (prime for me yesterday) and the arc Doesn't kick in so you still get the audio for your previous source (cable box)? Had to turn the box off and on again to fix

also - how do I get the Apple TV app?
Apple TV app not in the app section to download, it is for me

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
hit the source button. then on the upper left corner highlight the input that appears and hit the center button o the directional buttons.
there is an info area under the . . . Button

It doesn't tell you all of those things though

I guess it's possible our remotes are different because I don't have a info button under the... The button under that is for channel up. And also a source button.......I'm looking for it but strangely can't seem to find it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I guess it's possible our remotes are different because I don't have a info button under the... The button under that is for channel up. And also a source button.......I'm looking for it but strangely can't seem to find it.
No, I mean there is a menu that appears when you press . . .
then there is an info option

FYI the source button is like a little cord and 🔌

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow, I feel dumb now. The cord button, lol.

Yep, found the info option as well. It gives me all the info except VRR. But VRR is automatically enabled on this TV isn't it?

yeah, you will never see whether VRR is enabled, it probably just kicks in when automatically "instant game response" is enabled.

You can get clues that it is working in the Easter egg menu , highlight the first option "programme tuning and options" and press 1111 on the remote .
Select the "hdmi mode" and you'll see some info about the HDMI input (some incorrect) along with some resolution and pixel clock values that will fluctuate if VRR is working it's magic

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
yeah, you will never see whether VRR is enabled, it probably just kicks in when automatically "instant game response" is enabled.

You can get clues that it is working in the Easter egg menu , highlight the first option "programme tuning and options" and press 1111 on the remote .
Select the "hdmi mode" and you'll see some info about the HDMI input (some incorrect) along with some resolution and pixel clock values that will fluctuate if VRR is working it's magic

That's sweet! I'll give that a shot.

I just realized I can install KH3 and test that as well, because that is one game where VRR was superb. That was back on the Q9FN though, but should be just as great on this.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how the C9's VESA mounting holes are off center (lower on the TV), which means it will sit HIGHER on my TV mount that's already bolted on the wall. Are there any brackets I can buy to help vertically align it higher on the wall mount or anything? I really don't want to take off the mount off the wall and re-do it, seems like such a pain in the ass.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I hate how the C9's VESA mounting holes are off center (lower on the TV), which means it will sit HIGHER on my TV mount that's already bolted on the wall. Are there any brackets I can buy to help vertically align it higher on the wall mount or anything? I really don't want to take off the mount off the wall and re-do it, seems like such a pain in the ass.

I'd love to know the answer to this. I've still not got round to mounting mine on the wall again because of this

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know the answer to this. I've still not got round to mounting mine on the wall again because of this

Is there a recommended mount for these? I have an E6 55 that will need tilt at minimum. It'll go on my office wall above/behind my monitor.

Also will be getting a 77C9 that will be a more standard home theater mount.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
What is it with some of these games and those ugly grey/elevated black levels? Resident Evil 2 Remake and Blair Witch for example. What should be pitch black is dark grey or even light grey. Just damn ugly.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Not really targeting the TV market, but I know there was a lot of interest in Apple's display technology based on some of the specs they announced.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

in theory - couldn't you just use a couple of strips of aluminium/steel and drill holes where you need them - bolt them to the uprights o the best mounts to create whatever stagger you want.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
What is it with some of these games and those ugly grey/elevated black levels? Resident Evil 2 Remake and Blair Witch for example. What should be pitch black is dark grey or even light grey. Just damn ugly.
Lots of games/movies do this, it's a color grading decision. I think it's used well in RE2, some of those hallways have a hazy gray vibe to them, it works nice to contrast with other areas. The basement for example, feels a lot darker and more oppressive because it actually is pitch black with true black everywhere.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Lots of games/movies do this, it's a color grading decision. I think it's used well in RE2, some of those hallways have a hazy gray vibe to them, it works nice to contrast with other areas. The basement for example, feels a lot darker and more oppressive because it actually is pitch black with true black everywhere.

Ah I see, ok. Yeah I only tried the demo because I don't have the full game. Personally I feel Dead Space did it the best, those were some proper pitch black areas. I really dislike how grey the area is after you climb under that thing in the demo.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
A question for c9 owners: how you doing with motion handling? I mean is famous judder/stutter with, for example, a blu ray film or any sort of cinema of 24fps video? And another: there is some of you use this model as a primary monitor for pc? How about sharpness or reading pdf? Thank you

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
A question for c9 owners: how you doing with motion handling? I mean is famous judder/stutter with, for example, a blu ray film or any sort of cinema of 24fps video? And another: there is some of you use this model as a primary monitor for pc? How about sharpness or reading pdf? Thank you

Personally I disable any motion stuff. I've been giving it a chance on every single TV I've had for years now and I always end up disabling it. For games it's trash, brings unneeded weird effects and input lag and for movies it looks off to, weird blur and artifacts too.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

I have the 65" model and upgraded from a 65" Samsung KS8000. I haven't been bothered by judder really though it is definitely there for some panning shots but the alternative for those is blurryness with LCD TVs so it's not much better.

I think they are too large to use as a PC monitor comfortably but would otherwise work fine if you take some precautions and run a low OLED light setting. Windows isn't quite built for the WOLED and there is some fringing in text, mainly noticeable with dark backgrounds and brighter text. Using grayscale antialiasing via Better Cleartype Tuner helps a bit and so does DPI scaling.

I'm considering getting the 48" model at the end of the year if the price is good and see how that fares if I put it further away on a monitor arm and maybe use an ultrawide resolution for gaming.

The LG stand is a piece of crap because it pokes out so far from the back and the TV sits very low so you can't put anything in front of it.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
Personally I disable any motion stuff. I've been giving it a chance on every single TV I've had for years now and I always end up disabling it. For games it's trash, brings unneeded weird effects and input lag and for movies it looks off to, weird blur and artifacts too.
Thank you for your reply. It's strange because for my experience (Sony x900e here) the motion with "true cinema" is great for 24fps standard of films... agree with game: any kind of elaboration for games is useless or trash! Ty

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

That is what I did...until the C9.

The stutter makes certain 24 Hz content unwatchable for me, so I had to turn on TruMotion at low settings. Every once in a while I will try turning it off, but I always end up going back.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for your reply. It's strange because for my experience (Sony x900e here) the motion with "true cinema" is great for 24fps standard of films... agree with game: any kind of elaboration for games is useless or trash! Ty
I think True Cinema on Sony TVs just enables 24 fps playback. No interpolation.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
I have the 65" model and upgraded from a 65" Samsung KS8000. I haven't been bothered by judder really though it is definitely there for some panning shots but the alternative for those is blurryness with LCD TVs so it's not much better.

I think they are too large to use as a PC monitor comfortably but would otherwise work fine if you take some precautions and run a low OLED light setting. Windows isn't quite built for the WOLED and there is some fringing in text, mainly noticeable with dark backgrounds and brighter text. Using grayscale antialiasing via Better Cleartype Tuner helps a bit and so does DPI scaling.

I'm considering getting the 48" model at the end of the year if the price is good and see how that fares if I put it further away on a monitor arm and maybe use an ultrawide resolution for gaming.

The LG stand is a piece of crap because it pokes out so far from the back and the TV sits very low so you can't put anything in front of it.
I ask because I use my notebook only with tv at 2,5 mt distance, my worries is about clearness and sharpening because I read lot of pdf and website so the sharpness is one of the things... any things about abl? I mean the greatest part of the web is white page with text (google news for example, la repubblica (newspaper here in IT)and many others) I am really interested of this model due to the great spec but I am not completely sure it's fits for my usage: in this week end for example I run my tv from morning till 11pm so burn in is another things I have to consider... ty and sorry for any grammar errors
Edit: 11pm

Last edited:

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
I think True Cinema on Sony TVs just enables 24 fps playback. No interpolation.
I use it with any kind of video content: from blu ray films run from ps4pro (I think the console run at 24hz with it) to Netflix and Amazon prime,you tube native apps; every other movement" setting is not enough... smooth

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I ask because I use my notebook only with tv at 2,5 mt distance, my worries is about clearness and sharpening because I read lot of pdf and website so the sharpness is one of the things... any things about abl? I mean the greatest part of the web is white page with text (google news for example, la repubblica (newspaper here in IT)and many others) I am really interested of this model due to the great spec but I am not completely sure it's fits for my usage: in this week end for example I run my tv from morning till 11am so burn in is another things I have to consider... ty and sorry for any grammar errors

ABL doesn't seem to kick in at lower OLED light settings. I don't know if I would get one for your uses.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
That is what I did...until the C9.

The stutter makes certain 24 Hz content unwatchable for me, so I had to turn on TruMotion at low settings. Every once in a while I will try turning it off, but I always end up going back.

Hmm I see. I haven't watched any 24 Hz content yet. I watch mostly Netflix movies, shows and that's about it. Barely ever buy a Blu Ray disc. I think Netflix doesn't have any 24 Hz content so they?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I see. I haven't watched any 24 Hz content yet. I watch mostly Netflix movies, shows and that's about it. Barely ever buy a Blu Ray disc. I think Netflix doesn't have any 24 Hz content so they?

Most movies are 24 Hz. That is true for Netflix as well. It may be that the Netflix client software you are using converts it to 60 Hz. I'm not sure about the built-in app.

I think it is probably more a matter of the type of content you watch. I tend to find animation suffers the most from stuttering, largely for two reasons:
1. Panning shots are much more common.
2. There is no inherent camera blur when panning.

It may also be that I'm just more sensitive to motion issues than you are.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Most movies are 24 Hz. That is true for Netflix as well. It may be that the Netflix client software you are using converts it to 60 Hz. I'm not sure about the built-in app.

I think it is probably more a matter of the type of content you watch. I tend to find animation suffers the most from stuttering, largely for two reasons:
1. Panning shots are much more common.
2. There is no inherent camera blur when panning.

It may also be that I'm just more sensitive to motion issues than you are.

Good point about animation. I have yet to watch anime on the C9, but I will soon. I can definitely imagine having Tru motion on will help with stuttering.

Actually, yesterday night I was watching a movie on Netflix which was in Dolby Vision and I didn't change any settings but turns out the motion was set to clear and actually it was very very, doable.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
For games, do ya'll prefer a warm color tone/temperature or more like medium or even cool? I kinda like medium on the C9 for a game like Super Lucky but Warm1 seems more proper for something like RDR2.

Mega Man X

Oct 25, 2017
For games, do ya'll prefer a warm color tone/temperature or more like medium or even cool? I kinda like medium on the C9 for a game like Super Lucky but Warm1 seems more proper for something like RDR2.

I'm with you there. For movies, I like a very accurate image whereas games vary but I generally prefer a slightly cooler image with more color saturation. Unless the game has realistic, cinematic visuals like RDR2 then warmer it is.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
Good point about animation. I have yet to watch anime on the C9, but I will soon. I can definitely imagine having Tru motion on will help with stuttering.

Actually, yesterday night I was watching a movie on Netflix which was in Dolby Vision and I didn't change any settings but turns out the motion was set to clear and actually it was very very, doable.
Here it is some material to test how your set handling 24fps: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples#Codecs.2C_Framerates_and_Subtitles

https://youtu.be/oy8wNzOGVmc this is also useful to check DSE

Last edited:

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
exact every frames you send over 50 is not visibile on 50Hz panel http://www.kylesconverter.com/frequency/frames-per-second-to-hertz
I'd be shocked if there's a TV manufactured still that only does 50Hz. Remembe+ that the power supply also runs at 50Hz, so the specs might be talking about that.
For my region, (SEA) I see the budget LG and Samsungs (UM7300/7600 and RU7100/RU7400) display their refresh rate as 50Hz and MotionRate 100. Does that mean if I play 60 fps games it'll get capped? Btw I notice that the US models for those TVs are specced at 60Hz via RTings. Is it a case where the TV can support up to 60Hz but just marketed as 50 because of the PAL days? Do manufacturers change refresh rates for the same model across regions?

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
On the C9, I kinda want to up the OLED light and contrast settings because it's a tad too dim right now. But we're talking about a brand new screen, like last Friday. Is it wise to up the OLED light and contrast too much early on? (considering IR, burn in)

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
For my region, (SEA) I see the budget LG and Samsungs (UM7300/7600 and RU7100/RU7400) display their refresh rate as 50Hz and MotionRate 100. Does that mean if I play 60 fps games it'll get capped? Btw I notice that the US models for those TVs are specced at 60Hz via RTings. Is it a case where the TV can support up to 60Hz but just market it as 50 because of the PAL days? Do manufacturers change refresh rates for the same model across regions?
No. Connect a pc through HDMI if you can an run this page over chrome or the new edges browser: https://www.testufo.com/ or simply see if your gpu can send 60Hz. Some manufacturers like sony write on spec Hz which matches the standard of the country

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I think games are also mastered at a warm temp so on my Sony set I set it to expert 1 (which is the warmest and most accurate for my set) and just got used to it. Now everything cooler looks bad and blue. So I'd say just set it at whatever is more accurate according to rtings or whatever and leave it for a while to get used to it.

Last edited:

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
in theory - couldn't you just use a couple of strips of aluminium/steel and drill holes where you need them - bolt them to the uprights o the best mounts to create whatever stagger you want.

I'm too dumb to figure that out right now, but sounds like it would work. I just have no skills in that department. Who wants to make EvilBoris and I a pair lol?