• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Is there anything worth upgrading from a TCL 6 to that isn't OLED?
Sure. There are models from Vizio, LG, Samsung, and Sony that would all be a step up in some regard whether it be dimming, panel quality, peak brightness, upscaling, or motion handling. Especially if you care about HDMI 2.1 - then it may make sense to jump to another TCL.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The 55 inch C9 is $1,500 right now. Should I grab it for that or do you think it'll lower more once the X releases?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Any major difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision? I have the Xbox One X but it only supports HDR10 discs. Any huge reason I should buy a Dolby Vision compatible 4K player if I go with an OLED tv?

It's nice to have, but not essential in my eyes.
Most movie content is not really pushing HDR hard enough for Dolby Vision to really make a significant difference on many of the more premium TVs. It comes into it's own on low/mid range sets.

I'd put getting the display professionally calibrated above getting a different player.

Maybe take out a Netflix trial and do some comparisons with Dolby Vision and HDR10.
I feel you'd be hard pressed to spot any considerable differences in all but a handle of movies.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Actually Panasonic OLED GZ2000 is the best one. Not sold in the US though.

I'll probably just stick with the LG C9. Mainly due to hdmi 2.1. It seems the picture quality is so close to the Sony/Panasonic that I think the hdmi 2.1 features and cheaper price makes it the best buy.

I mostly will be using it for movies and tv shows in a dark room with the occasional PS5/XSX game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably just stick with the LG C9. Mainly due to hdmi 2.1. It seems the picture quality is so close to the Sony/Panasonic that I think the hdmi 2.1 features and cheaper price makes it the best buy.

I mostly will be using it for movies and tv shows in a dark room with the occasional PS5/XSX game.

They are all close yeah. After all it's literally the same panel.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sorry says 2019 models in the PR. I'll edit.
No problem. I should learn to read better:-)

Unrelated, but while searching for the apple tv app I came across Chewiebomb app, which is an app to watch Giantbomb content. Since months it was impossible to watch any giantbomb videos in the build-in webbrowser, and this app works great. Very happy I can finally watch Giantbomb again without having to use an external device!

Kwabi

Oct 29, 2017
Hi TV Thread.. I have a strange issue with my Nintendo Switch and LG C7 that I can't find the solution to. When playing in Docked mode, after a set amount of time, the screen will go dim. If I press the pause button on my controller, the screen lights up again. The really weird thing is, it only happens on certain games.. My wife and I noticed it on Snipperclips, Picross S1 and S2, and Baba is You. I have never noticed this on any other game I play. My current work around is to press the pause button every minute or so.

In the Switch settings, I've turned off the auto adjust brightness setting and sleep mode. Has anyone else experienced this?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Hi TV Thread.. I have a strange issue with my Nintendo Switch and LG C7 that I can't find the solution to. When playing in Docked mode, after a set amount of time, the screen will go dim. If I press the pause button on my controller, the screen lights up again. The really weird thing is, it only happens on certain games.. My wife and I noticed it on Snipperclips, Picross S1 and S2, and Baba is You. I have never noticed this on any other game I play. My current work around is to press the pause button every minute or so.

In the Switch settings, I've turned off the auto adjust brightness setting and sleep mode. Has anyone else experienced this?

did you turn off the screen burn in reduction setting on your Switch?

Kwabi

Oct 29, 2017
did you turn off the screen burn in reduction setting on your Switch?

I want to say I scrubbed the entire system menu on my Switch and turned off anything that I suspected could cause it. I'm thinking this is a TV thing, but I don't know what it could be. Wish I had my Switch on me right now to check.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Has anyone figured out how to access iTunes movies extras on the Apple TV app on the C9?

Edit: Ah, they're only available on Apple devices. That makes the question of whether to sell my Apple TV a bit trickier, though I guess if I really wanted to watch any particular extra I could do so on my iPad.

Edit 2: The built in app plays 24fps content correctly, making it the better place to watch some content than the Apple TV itself. Embarrassing Apple hasn't fixed that yet.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
Looking at picking this TV up - https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/samsung/samsung-series-7-flatpanelshdq75r-55-4k-uhd-qled-tv/363511/

Note that it's New Zealand Dollars, it's among the cheapest I've seen QLED/OLED TVs here.

Any thoughts on it? I'm a bit out of my depth with TVs.
I am happy with it (75inch) and gave my impressions in the last pages in here, some others agreed. There are some issues like subtitles in some movie scenes lighting up the lower part of the screen because (i think) the local dimming getting deactivated again, and ghosting in games when VRR is on, even then I would not buy the TV for VRR with next gen coming since apparently from the guide it is only supported for resolutions up to 2560 x 1440.

Based on reviews on different sites to me this TV seems very good for the money you are paying in comparison to other TVs.

The price for 55inch however when I convert to euro's still seems slightly too high so close to the release of the newer models. Although I dont know about the prices of TVs in New Zealand.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone figured out how to access iTunes movies extras on the Apple TV app on the C9?

Edit: Ah, they're only available on Apple devices. That makes the question of whether to sell my Apple TV a bit trickier, though I guess if I really wanted to watch any particular extra I could do so on my iPad.

Edit 2: The built in app plays 24fps content correctly, making it the better place to watch some content than the Apple TV itself. Embarrassing Apple hasn't fixed that yet.

Is it true that the app isn't outputting atmos?

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy with it (75inch) and gave my impressions in the last pages in here, some others agreed. There are some issues like subtitles in some movie scenes lighting up the lower part of the screen because (i think) the local dimming getting deactivated again, and ghosting in games when VRR is on, even then I would not buy the TV for VRR with next gen coming since apparently from the guide it is only supported for resolutions up to 2560 x 1440.

Based on reviews on different sites to me this TV seems very good for the money you are paying in comparison to other TVs.

The price for 55inch however when I convert to euro's still seems slightly too high so close to the release of the newer models. Although I dont know about the prices of TVs in New Zealand.
Thanks!

From what I understand prices for TVs here are pretty bad but not bad enough to take on the costs of shipping from overseas.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
On the C9 for SDR, do you guys use bt.1886 or 2.2 gamma?

For low light (but not pitch black) viewing, I like the punch of bt.1886 and I think this is becoming the preferred gamma but I feel like there's a slight black crush with it. I thought bt.1886 was supposed to come out of black a little sooner than 2.4 but I honestly can't tell the difference between 2.4 and bt.1886.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just stick with 2.2 since I rarely watch in pitch black environment.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take proper black levels on the built-in app and slightly worse sound vs. elevated black levels using ATV box.

Brightness at 49 fixes that elevated black level problem and it doesn't crush blacks. We've gone over this in this thread a few months back. I would dig up the posts if I knew exactly when we talked about it.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If I do pick up an LG C9 to replace my B7, I have a couple questions largely pertaining to HDMI 2.1.

What features would my 2.0 devices be able to take advantage of? I'm mostly interested in eARC (5.1 PCM over ARC instead of Dolby/DTS), VRR, and not having to lower chroma for HDR. I believe that last one would still be restricted by my 2.0 devices, but what about VRR and eARC? Would I have to replace my AV Receiver with a HDMI 2.1 Receiver to get eARC? (I assume if so, I can plug older HDMI devices into it and the receiver and TV would still be able to communicate their audio via eARC?) Also I have a 2080 ti which was a huge purchase for me and I can't really upgrade from anytime soon, so that has me worried. But I hear that a company is making a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 dongle that'll solve that?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In image processing quality, yes, but not by leaps and bounds or anything. The improvement in image quality isn't enough to have to deal with the jankified Android OS.

In other news, I got a LG OLED 65" E9 from an authorized dealer through Greentoe for $2099. That's with tax & shipping. It'll get to me on Monday. I'm finally upgrading from my Panny VT60 plasma.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I do pick up an LG C9 to replace my B7, I have a couple questions largely pertaining to HDMI 2.1.

What features would my 2.0 devices be able to take advantage of? I'm mostly interested in eARC (5.1 PCM over ARC instead of Dolby/DTS), VRR, and not having to lower chroma for HDR. I believe that last one would still be restricted by my 2.0 devices, but what about VRR and eARC? Would I have to replace my AV Receiver with a HDMI 2.1 Receiver to get eARC? (I assume if so, I can plug older HDMI devices into it and the receiver and TV would still be able to communicate their audio via eARC?) Also I have a 2080 ti which was a huge purchase for me and I can't really upgrade from anytime soon, so that has me worried. But I hear that a company is making a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 dongle that'll solve that?
With your 2080 Ti you can do 4K at 60FPS with GSYNC HDR, and 1440p at 120FPS w/ GSYNC HDR through HDMI. You'll be fine. As for AVRs, some of them out there today support eARC without actually being fully HDMI 2.1. But the 2.1 receivers come later this year, details for Yamaha's new line have already leaked:

Last edited:

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
In image processing quality, yes, but not by leaps and bounds or anything. The improvement in image quality isn't enough to have to deal with the jankified Android OS.

In other news, I got a LG OLED 65" E9 from an authorized dealer through Greentoe for $2099. That's with tax & shipping. It'll get to me on Monday. I'm finally upgrading from my Panny VT60 plasma.
I did the exact same deal but for 2075. I got it yesterday, and just set it up an hour ago. This tv is freaking amazing.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

Check if your receiver ever got a firmware update for eARC. Assuming that it did, you can just plug your hdmi sources directly to your tv to take advantage of VRR and then have the audio go back to your receiver through eARC.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. That's the thing about upgrading to hdmi 2.1, you're going to have to spend on a new receiver as well. $$$$
I just bought all this 2 years ago, sigh...

Hell, I JUST bought a capture card a month ago. The Live Gamer 4k, supports the full monty of HDMI 2.0b. Should I return that too and wait for an HDMI 2.1 capture card?