• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
We are all different.

Some people sit in the first row at the movie theater. I sit in the back row.
Speaking of, I rushed to see Knives Out last weekend and only got the last row, farthest on the right. I thought it would suck but it was actually an amazing seat for that theater. A+ will last row there again.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's definitely an issue with the screen rather than the source.

Also, sorry to waste people's time with that YouTube vid because the compression made it pretty useless.

Here's a Dropbox link to the original file, where the uniformity issues should be more apparent (download to avoid compression from the web player).

Wow, that's distracting. I had a small bit of reverse vignetting on my B6, but it wasn't noticeable most of the time, despite the corners tending to be the worst offenders. My C8 has a really bad spot on the left fourth of the screen where a thick pillar can be seen from the bottom to about halfway up, but you can't even see it in most good content. Whenever I watch something that's near black, or dark grey though from a somewhat crappy source (1080p streaming) it stands out bad, and the only reason I didn't bother to return mine is because it was a "deal" through the mail.

The next time I buy a TV though it will be local. Two sets with noticeable imperfections (one of which is distracting), and at the price you normally pay for them, it's unacceptable. The second set is my bad mainly for not picking a C8 up at Best Buy last March when they had a deep discount. I was waiting to see if the C9 was going to have any significant improvements over it, and it didn't for the time.

Are OLED TVs really buggy/problematic? I want to get an LG C9 but I feel like so many people are having weird issues from dimming, color issues, banding, burn on, etc. These things are not cheap so I'm worried about risking buying one if they are so problematic.

The irony is that despite the issues that stand out bad from time to time (if the set doesn't just have abysmal DSE/vignetting in the first place), they still generally look better than the second best panel type. The only real problem comes from burn in (burn out) unknowns, which varies from panel to panel and also seems to primarily be an issue with the color red. Most people haven't had any noticeable issue yet, while some have actually had problems in under a hundred hours. I personally haven't had a problem with that yet, but I tend to not put an extreme amount of time into any single game I play on it either. Aside from my B6 simply dying in less than three years anyway.

Get one locally, set it up and see if there are any noticeable uniformity problems with content that you actually watch. Slides will only exacerbate the faults, and you'll often see uniformity problems with them that you won't actually be able to see in regular content. If there are some glaring issues, return it for another. Then do it again if the store allows it. Also get a four or five year warranty, and try to get one that covers burn in if you can.

Last edited:

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Yeah currently I'm keeping my eye on the Vizio gaming-centric models, a 55'' C9 (or maybe even that 48'' since I have a 40'' currently, so any upgrade will be noticeable), and the new TCL's in case I don't end up wanting to spend the dough. I am still a bit wary with burn in given I want this to last a long time, so QLED might end up being where I go.
I upgraded my tv last summer. Came from a 2013 sony 1080p tv and got a samsung q70r. Really like it, switch games look great abd ps4 pro games look even more sharp.

Sadly in europe they dont sell vizio or TCL. Only samsungs, sonys, lgs ect.

Dont know what your viewing distance is, but if its 7 feet your best bet is 55 inch if that works out in ur setup.

If you beed any more advice feel free to ask : )

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Question about the C9

I'm going back to OLED, with a little luck I'll have it next week or otherwise the week after it. I'm returning a Q9FN and before that one I had a Sony 930e. So I am used to not having to "babysit" a TV.

That's my only concern too, I'm a big Monster Hunter World fan and I play it a lot daily, the hud also is very present and static, not dynamic. At first I'll take it easy and not play hours on end, but I hope after the TV has been used for a while I can.

I read in the HDR thread that there's a option for logo dimming. Does this mean it will dim every static image displayed on the screen? How's it work. It sounds promising, but is it?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Question about the C9

I'm going back to OLED, with a little luck I'll have it next week or otherwise the week after it. I'm returning a Q9FN and before that one I had a Sony 930e. So I am used to not having to "babysit" a TV.

That's my only concern too, I'm a big Monster Hunter World fan and I play it a lot daily, the hud also is very present and static, not dynamic. At first I'll take it easy and not play hours on end, but I hope after the TV has been used for a while I can.

I read in the HDR thread that there's a option for logo dimming. Does this mean it will dim every static image displayed on the screen? How's it work. It sounds promising, but is it?

C8 here. I have around 200 or 300 hours of MHW (couldn't tell you exactly because I started before getting the C8). No issues whatsoever.

There's a pseudo-dynamic HUD option for the HP/Stamina bar, that only shows the bars once you get a monster aggro. For the rest, the only thing I did is disable the mini-map, but honestly I hate mini maps anyways.

I'm not even sure if the logo dimming works in game mode, I never noticed it but I dunno. It works as it sounds, TV detects a stating image and dim the area around it. Not even sure MHW hud will apply because HP/stamina and other HUD stuff keeps moving, logo dimming seems more aimed at logos from TV stations.

Still as I said, you shouldn't be worried about it , just play the shit out of MHW in your OLED.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
C8 here. I have around 200 or 300 hours of MHW (couldn't tell you exactly because I started before getting the C8). No issues whatsoever.

There's a pseudo-dynamic HUD option for the HP/Stamina bar, that only shows the bars once you get a monster aggro. For the rest, the only thing I did is disable the mini-map, but honestly I hate mini maps anyways.

I'm not even sure if the logo dimming works in game mode, I never noticed it but I dunno. It works as it sounds, TV detects a stating image and dim the area around it. Not even sure MHW hud will apply because HP/stamina and other HUD stuff keeps moving, logo dimming seems more aimed at logos from TV stations.

Still as I said, you shouldn't be worried about it , just play the shit out of MHW in your OLED.

Oh that sounds really good. Yeah I remember how I never had a issue with IR, let alone burn in on my LG EC9300 years ago, but on the B6 this became a real big problem.

I had no idea about those options in MHW. I'm gonna check that out tomorrow, the less busy a hud is, the better. I absolutely loved that in Dead Space.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the main campaign and Iceborne in about 2 weeks on my C9. No issues here, even temporary image retention, and some of those sessions were long

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
For someone who hasn't been following (and was under the impression that the LGs were the "best" OLED TVs in the regular consumer market), what are Panasonic doing that makes people prefer them?
I can chime in here. I've had six different LG OLEDs (three different models) and was not satisfied with either of them. I bought a Panasonic instead and I couldn't be happier. The main difference, in my experience, is uniformity. All my LG's had some kind of uniformity issue. Vignetting, pink tint, yellow tint, and vertical banding, mainly. My Panasonic has neither of those problems.

Furthermore, not being able to calibrate Game Mode on the LGs was annoying as hell. There was no way to get a correct SDR image in Game Mode, because they locked it to the wrong colour gamut. As far as I know, they've fixed that with the 9-series, though.

On top of that, my Panasonic has better motion handling and just has a more natural (plasma-like) and pleasing picture overall than all the LG OLEDs I've owned.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I can chime in here. I've had six different LG OLEDs (three different models) and was not satisfied with either of them.

Which is one of the several reasons to not purchase a B series. People often times ask that on here, "Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the B9? It's cheaper". Well, in addition to the better processor and some other minor upgrades, they save all the best panels for the C series and above.

Last edited:

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Which is one of the several reasons to not purchase a B series. People often times ask that on here, "Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the B9? It's cheaper". Well addition to the better processor and some other minor upgrades, they save all the best panels for the C series and above.
I haven't ever owned a B-series, if that's what you're insinuating.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Which is one of the several reasons to not purchase a B series. People often times ask that on here, "Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the B9? It's cheaper". Well, in addition to the better processor and some other minor upgrades, they save all the best panels for the C series and above.
Vincent from HDTV test asked about this and an engineer stated they don't bin panels.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Vincent from HDTV test asked about this and an engineer stated they don't bin panels.

They absolutely save the better panels for the E series. Vincent has been wrong about other things lately too like heatmapping content to say that stuff isnt' real HDR on DIsney+. People are wrong sometimes and comapanies lie. Of course the employee is going to say that. He represents the company that is in the business of selling mostly B-series and C-series sets. They have no vested interest in admitting such a thing. But still, you obviously get higher graded, more tested parts (such as a panel) inside of an E9.

CD Projekt Red also says that they have no plans at this time to release Cyberpunk on the next gen consoles.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks. Yeah but it will give an idea on what to expect.
Most people are expecting them to cost about the same as 55" sets. Since they will be manufactured in smaller quantity and there is strong demand for the 48" sets.

I don't really see how that's going to be possible though at the retail shelf MSRP level. But we'll see. My guess is they'll be just a tiny bit cheaper than the 55" sets, because they have to be, because that's how consumer expectation works. We won't know actually know until they're in-stock at retail, and adjusted from their "suggested" price to their actual retail prices. That's in like late April or early May, again, as long as they're on the same timeline as previous years.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait to get the 48 CX to use as a monitor/gaming tv.

When will we know the prices?

Probably in about March

here are the pieces for the TVs last year (and the year before that) to give you some idea of where the 48inch set will be priced at launch.
I'd be prepping for around $2000 at launch given that we know they are expensive to produce and how it would fit in around LG's premium LCD models from a price perspective

LG C9 OLED 4K TVs:

• 77-inch: $6,999
  • 65-inch: $3,499
  • 55-inch: $2,499
LG E9 OLED 4K TVs:

• 65-inch: $4,299
  • 55-inch: $3,299
LG W9 Wallpaper OLED 4K TVs:

• 77-inch: $12,999
  • 65-inch: $6,999

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I also think the 55" BX and 48" CX are gonna cost around the same. OLED prices have been dropping over the years so I'm curious to see how low can they get this year.

Considering I can get a B9 right now for 1000€ I'd love to see the 48" CX around that or below during black friday.

Jun 10, 2018
Rtings responded to my question regarding TCL's 2020 TV's having HDMI 2.1 features and updated the page accordingly.

We don't know which models exactly, but it has been confirmed they will be supporting at least some HDMI 2.1 features on their 2020 models. The exact features supported will probably vary depending on the model.

Sorry, just realized the text was a bit unclear. I've updated the text to clarify this.
Unlike most brands, TCL didn't announce a full lineup at CES. This isn't really unexpected, as TCL just updated much of their lineup in September 2019. Instead, TCL gave us a brief glimpse of the features they plan to support in 2020. TCL plans on releasing their first 8k LED TV this year, as well as an improved Mini-LED panel, which uses a technology they call 'Vidrian'.

Beyond that, TCL also announced that at least some of their 2020 models will support HDMI 2.1, including support for variable refresh rates and eARC. We don't know if every model will support HDMI 2.1, or which features exactly, but we'll update this space once we know more. They also announced that they plan on adding support for variable refresh rates to some of their 2019 models.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
The BuyDig 65 E9 deal is back and boy is it tempting. I've been wondering if I should do an x9 or wait for the X series to come out to replace my 55 C6. Going to miss my 3D, haha.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They absolutely save the better panels for the E series. Vincent has been wrong about other things lately too like heatmapping content to say that stuff isnt' real HDR on DIsney+. People are wrong sometimes and comapanies lie. Of course the employee is going to say that. He represents the company that is in the business of selling mostly B-series and C-series sets. They have no vested interest in admitting such a thing. But still, you obviously get higher graded, more tested parts (such as a panel) inside of an E9.

CD Projekt Red also says that they have no plans at this time to release Cyberpunk on the next gen consoles.
This wasn't Vincent. It was an LG engineer on camera responding to the question.

edit: sorry, it was AVForums. 14:43 if the time stamp doesn't work.

Last edited:

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I went from a B7 to a C9 and difference is substantial to me. First and foremost the C series did not require nearly as much tweaking to get the picture looking accurate and amazing. Secondly, game mode on the C series is a huge upgrade in that it doesn't have have a dimness issue. Something that was always a struggle for me on the B series. Everything from my Switch to my PS4 to the Stadia look like perfection on this panel. It was a bonus to find out it will also support GSync. Honestly it really doesn't get much better than this as far as panels go. As a gamer this is an absolute must own. Do not worry yourself about burn in unless you have severe lack common sense.Vary your content from time to time. Don't play 600 hours of a single game at once or leave it on channels like CNN all day and you will be fine. It actually takes a lot to ruin these panels. The B series had some quality control and design issues that affected things for some, but the C series seems to have remedied a lot of that.

Oct 27, 2017
I can chime in here. I've had six different LG OLEDs (three different models) and was not satisfied with either of them. I bought a Panasonic instead and I couldn't be happier. The main difference, in my experience, is uniformity. All my LG's had some kind of uniformity issue. Vignetting, pink tint, yellow tint, and vertical banding, mainly. My Panasonic has neither of those problems.

Furthermore, not being able to calibrate Game Mode on the LGs was annoying as hell. There was no way to get a correct SDR image in Game Mode, because they locked it to the wrong colour gamut. As far as I know, they've fixed that with the 9-series, though.

On top of that, my Panasonic has better motion handling and just has a more natural (plasma-like) and pleasing picture overall than all the LG OLEDs I've owned.
Thanks for adding this. I'll keep it in mind for reviews compared to this years CX.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting the 65 C9 to drop below $2099 at major retailers? It's been sitting at that price for over a month.

Not interested in greentoe because I want an extended warranty.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Yup, and I'm not sure what level of FreeSync this will support, but I'd bet it's only a subset of the VRR functionality anyway.
The lack of Freesync is like the only thing keeping me from buying a C9 (I have an Xbox One X and will buy a Series X), but I'll have to read up what it actually entails. So HDMI 2.1 VRR is more important? What exactly is the difference between HDMI 2.1 VRR, Freesync and G-Sync?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The lack of Freesync is like the only thing keeping me from buying a C9 (I have an Xbox One X and will buy a Series X), but I'll have to read up what it actually entails. So HDMI 2.1 VRR is more important? What exactly is the difference between HDMI 2.1 VRR, Freesync and G-Sync?
Here are the levels of FreeSync: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/01/08/ces-2020-amd-freesync-premium/

HDMI 2.1 spec is locked behind a subscriber portal. I don't know that anyone has detailed its complete specifications.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
I went from a B7 to a C9 and difference is substantial to me. First and foremost the C series did not require nearly as much tweaking to get the picture looking accurate and amazing. Secondly, game mode on the C series is a huge upgrade in that it doesn't have have a dimness issue. Something that was always a struggle for me on the B series. Everything from my Switch to my PS4 to the Stadia look like perfection on this panel. It was a bonus to find out it will also support GSync. Honestly it really doesn't get much better than this as far as panels go. As a gamer this is an absolute must own. Do not worry yourself about burn in unless you have severe lack common sense.Vary your content from time to time. Don't play 600 hours of a single game at once or leave it on channels like CNN all day and you will be fine. It actually takes a lot to ruin these panels. The B series had some quality control and design issues that affected things for some, but the C series seems to have remedied a lot of that.
You should be comparing the 7 series to the 9 not b to c

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
For some reason 120 hz only works for me with RGB at 8 bit.
Is ycb 422/444 at 10/12 bit something i have to wait for HDMI 2.1 for the LG C9? I want to game at 120 hz, but i don't want to sacrifice HDR either.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Are we expecting the 65 C9 to drop below $2099 at major retailers? It's been sitting at that price for over a month.

Not interested in greentoe because I want an extended warranty.
This is the deal I'd want if I was buying a 65" OLED right now.

LG 65" E9 for $2199.99. Unless you could find the C9 for substantially cheaper. Right now its $2099, same as during most of the holidays.

$2000 at my near by Best Buy c9

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

It's not because you went from a B to a C. It's just that the 7 series have a really dim hdr game mode.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
You should be comparing the 7 series to the 9 not b to c

To be fair, whether he realised or not, he's not totally wrong in his B to C criticism, as yes going from a dim 7 to an 8C is completely curing game mode woes, but the B models in the 8 and 9 series OLED's give up 250 nits of peak to the superior C models.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason 120 hz only works for me with RGB at 8 bit.
Is ycb 422/444 at 10/12 bit something i have to wait for HDMI 2.1 for the LG C9? I want to game at 120 hz, but i don't want to sacrifice HDR either.

I think that's required if your want 4k 120, though I may be wrong. I believe right now until the 9 series gets a furthest upgrade for the HDMI 2.1 support. If you really want 120hz support, probably best to stick to 2560x1440 which lets you keep 444 I believe.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Okay, so I'm seriously considering getting an X-Rite i1Display Pro to calibrate my B8 (which suffers from black crush).

Do you reckon it's doable to do this without any previous knowledge about calibration?

Many thanks

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, so I'm seriously considering getting an X-Rite i1Display Pro to calibrate my B8 (which suffers from black crush).

Do you reckon it's doable to do this without any previous knowledge about calibration?

Many thanks

It's a good learning process. I'd reccomend calman for it as that will simplify the process significantly.

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
I got my C9 yesterday (I came from a KS8000), fortunately no issue with the TV (no DSE, Vignetting, Dead Pixel, Banding, Retention). About the image quality, it is really a great TV, but I was not blown away like I thought I would. The contrast is where the TV shines. Playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and going through the trees with sun rays coming in is amazing. But when the whole screen is bright, like when looking at the clouds, I miss the peak brightness my old TV had.
But what made me buy this TV was the VRR. Man, playing Doom at 120fps (117) is one of the best gaming experiences. The input lag difference from my old TV is just unbeliaveble. The upscale fom 1440p is great. With just a little sharpening from nvidia panel makes it look like you are at 4k.

So far, amazing TV. Really worths the upgrade.

Last edited: