• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I think it'd depend on how many games go above 60 fps on the PS5 and Xbox Series X. For the vast majority of games I think a 60hz panel would be fine. But it also depends if developers give options next-gen, like being able to unlock the frame rate from say a 30 fps or 60 fps cap. Most current tv's and Vizio's lineup have a VRR frequency range of 48hz - 60hz (and 48hz - 120hz on 120hz panels). Though there are 60hz PC monitors with a more generous range of 40hz - 60hz. It's unknown what TCL's VRR range will be, but I'd bet it would be the common 48hz - 60hz on the 5-Series and 6-Series.
AAA console games are targetting 4K HDR. Not 60+ FPS. That's what a lot of people don't seem to get.

We're not going to be getting 4K60+ on any graphically intensive games on the new consoles. RTX 2080 Ti's can't even do that. Like it's not even close.

People aren't even going to need HDMI 2.1 televisions for the most part. Bc you're not going to be pushing that many fps except for in much less graphically intensive games.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
No. And you should remove the packaging material including the panel protection foil before turning on the TV! The additional heat could damage your panel!

Hmm do newer sets not?
I remember my 2016 had a power savings option that I had to turn off.

The module that are part of computer monitors allows the range to be lower. Right now on the LG and the CX the range is at 40 minimum. So if you are playing a 30fps game and it drops, Gsync will not do anything for you. It will only work when the game is above 40 fps. So if you are targeting 60fps and you game dips to 41 it will still feel smooth because Gsync is engaged, if it drops below 40 it will do nothing. VRR/Freesync has the same minimum range as well on both the LG's and the Samsung QLED sets.
Ah appreciate the info.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
AAA console games are targetting 4K HDR. Not 60+ FPS. That's what a lot of people don't seem to get.

We're not going to be getting 4K60+ on any graphically intensive games on the new consoles. RTX 2080 Ti's can't even do that. Like it's not even close.

People aren't even going to need HDMI 2.1 televisions for the most part. Bc you're not going to be pushing that many fps except for in much less graphically intensive games.
In my case I'm not trying to future proof for the consoles launching now, but the next gen after as well.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The module that are part of computer monitors allows the range to be lower. Right now on the LG and the CX the range is at 40 minimum. So if you are playing a 30fps game and it drops, Gsync will not do anything for you. It will only work when the game is above 40 fps. So if you are targeting 60fps and you game dips to 41 it will still feel smooth because Gsync is engaged, if it drops below 40 it will do nothing. VRR/Freesync has the same minimum range as well on both the LG's and the Samsung QLED sets.
Which is a step above Vizio, which only works down to 48Hz :(

Jun 10, 2018

There are games targeting 4K60 right now on Xbox One X, granted they can't hit 2160p at 60fps at all times (but some do have a locked 60 fps like Halo and Gears). Next-gen developers can get much, much closer to a locked 4K60. If a game is locked at 60fps then it needs to be running well above that so it has the headroom to maintain 60fps and not dip below it. Developers could allow people to unlock the frame rate if they have either a VRR/FreeSync or HDMI 2.1 display (or Sony and Microsoft could allow you to unlock frame rates at the hardware level).

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys anyone have a good guess to what date LG C9 65" will be floating around until they stock new model?

I was about to purchase one for £1999 but not sure if waiting a couple more weeks or months would reduce the price by much.
In the US the previous models hit the floor generally around May before the current gen model starts to dip a little. Of course this is based off the same release time frame, but has been this way for the last two years when I have bought mine and may plan to do again this year.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
LG rep said that my C9's screen uniformity issue doesn't count as a fault and won't be repaired.

Oh well, I know from researching it that it could have been much worse so I guess I'll just live with it. At least LG were quick to repair my blinking screen and sparkling pixels, which were a far more of a problem.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
LG rep said that my C9's screen uniformity issue doesn't count as a fault and won't be repaired.

Oh well, I know from researching it that it could have been much worse so I guess I'll just live with it. At least LG were quick to repair my blinking screen and sparkling pixels, which were a far more of a problem.
Do you have DSE? If so, that's variable and just a lottery. Even on OLED.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Do you have DSE? If so, that's variable and just a lottery. Even on OLED.
Yeah pretty much, it appears as horizontal and slight vertical strips across the screen, only visible in very bright scenes with camera movement such as looking up at the sky in a game.

It's minor in the scheme of things, I thought I might as well see if I can get it replaced anyway seeing as I'm still in the year warranty.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
There are games targeting 4K60 right now on Xbox One X, granted they can't hit 2160p at 60fps at all times (but some do have a locked 60 fps like Halo and Gears). Next-gen developers can get much, much closer to a locked 4K60. If a game is locked at 60fps then it needs to be running well above that so it has the headroom to maintain 60fps and not dip below it. Developers could allow people to unlock the frame rate if they have either a VRR/FreeSync or HDMI 2.1 display (or Sony and Microsoft could allow you to unlock frame rates at the hardware level).
Yea , but we all know devs are going to use the extra power to make games even more prettier than they already are. I think its save to say that most (if not all) developers will opt for native4k30 with more bells and whistles. Thats the easiest to show to consumers so thats most likely the route that where going. Sure some games could be 4k60 but its probably only for games that really need it, so racing, fighting games and shooters.

In my case I'm not trying to future proof for the consoles launching now, but the next gen after as well.
I think thats pretty much impossible, we dont know what the future holds ofc, but if im not mistaken(correct me if im wrong) the current HDMI 2.1 spec only allows 120fps with 8 bit color. So your basically losing HDR and the extra colors it can produce.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think thats pretty much impossible, we dont know what the future holds ofc, but if im not mistaken(correct me if im wrong) the current HDMI 2.1 spec only allows 120fps with 8 bit color. So your basically losing HDR and the extra colors it can produce.

No, 2.1 will allow 10-bit.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to go with a 55B9 instead of waiting for the CX48, just to save some cash. 55" is a bit big but its total size isn't much larger than the Pioneer PDP-5020FD that it replaces. The implementation of Gsync is identical on the B9 versus the C9, right?

You can get LFC (lower framerate compensation) on FreeSync without a module, even Freesync 1. Just, the requirement is that the max refresh rate is at least ~2.5x the minimum refresh rate. Seems like, since TV manufacturers aren't delivering 4K120 yet, they haven't bothered with LFC. It's a shame. I have a Freesync monitor and LFC works perfectly with Final Fantasy XI to run at sub-30 fps, which is what that game maxes out at.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
So after a few days of using my C9, I love it! So far through normal content viewing, nothing has stood out and bugged me like me previous sets. Something would instantly stand out upon first viewing with my other sets that would ultimately just distract me too much and kill my TV viewing enjoyment (uniformity, blooming, DSE, motion blur, banding, etc). So far with this C9, I can just enjoy TV and get lost in whatever I'm watching, and it's so refreshing. My GF keeps poking fun at me with like "what are you going to return this TV for, no one even noticed all the other issues you were talking about on the last set" lol.

I'm a little worried about ABL/ASBL though, I haven't seen it yet but its in the back of my head that it'll happen and bug me. When does the ABL kick in exactly, like any real world examples of real content where it'll happen? Also I'm trying De-Judder at 3, I'm not sure I like it. I might lower it to the lowest option. 3 seems a tad too strong and gives a slight unnatural look to the motion. What does everyone else use for 24p? I read from several posts (not here) that TruMotion on, but de-judder at 0 is the way to go (it still does something at 0 apparently?).

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm a little worried about ABL/ASBL though, I haven't seen it yet but its in the back of my head that it'll happen and bug me. When does the ABL kick in exactly, like any real world examples of real content where it'll happen?

Using my 65C9 for 4 months now. Never saw ABL kicking in while gaming or watching movies. The only thing i noticed is when logo-dimming is turned on and you watch some soccer for example with large channel-logos, like here in germany "Sky Bundesliga", the display dims pretty hard. Setting it off and its good.

Best TV ever.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yes. They are correct.

hdmitable.png

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's official now. Samsung is coming to my house next Tuesday to take the Q9FN back to their place and with a little luck I'll have the C9 the same week from the store. But I'm gonna go and expect it the week after it, just to avoid disappointment.

So I'm gonna be without a big screen for a few days, back to a 32 inch 720p Samsung TV or a HP 1080p monitor which is even smaller. Ah well, once the C9 arrives it's party time.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Well, just got my C9 exchanged for another one yesterday. Was within 30 days at Best Buy, and they took it with little hassle. My first set had really bad reverse vignetting -- the entire vertical middle portion of the screen was more desaturated and brighter/lighter than the left and right whenever there was grey or grey/blue content. First noticed it while gaming, but then when watching shows like Witcher and Messiah.

I ran gray slides for the hell of it with the new one out of the box, and it seems to have much less vignetting already, so I'm hoping it stays that way.

Can anyone with a LG C9 comment on how the Bluetooth works on the tv (specifically in regards to lag)? I am looking to get the 48" CX once its released, and am wondering if I can reliably hook up my AirPods Pro to the Televisions bluetooth audio out to get a working wireless solution for PS4 / Switch / PC.
I use Jabra Elites (very similar in terms of AirPod Pros) with the TV and they work great. The only problem is the TV doesn't seem to allow for bluetooth headphone use in Gaming mode. And my PS4 Pro wouldn't recognize them. I'm hoping someone else in this thread knows a workaround solution.

My 65" C9 got delivered today, pretty excited to set it up fully later. I played around with it while the bottom half was still in the thick styrafoam, so I couldn't see/navigate some of the settings but I imagine it has some Eco/power settings turned on by default?
Yeah, eco settings are on by default, but can be turned off really easily in the menu.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
For those looking for the C9 65" some Best Buy Stores have knocked another $100 off the already on sale of it. My local Best Buy (Boise, Idaho) had the 65" in-store for $1999.99, which is $100.00 less than the current sale of $2099.99. I happen to be in the Store yesterday getting a Sony 4k Blu Ray player when I spotted the price. I then headed to the service counter to get my $100.00 difference back. Not sure if this is most stores, but at least in Boise, Idaho the 65" C9 can be had for $1999.99.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Rtings.com is reporting that TCL announced that all of their 2020 TV's will be supporting HDMI 2.1.

I am not sure if that is miscommunication or not. But if it's true, then their 5-Series and 6-Series will be very attractive to budget gamers. The 5-Series is getting updated with a Quantum Dot panel, Full Array Local Dimming, and higher peak brightness. The 43" would make for a great PC monitor as well as being great for next-gen consoles.
This is the news I wanted.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Horizontal bands that are darker than the rest of the picture. It's much easier to spot in person, gets a bit blown out on a phone camera.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
So angry.

accepted offer on a E9 on greentoe. They sent it, it went to the wrong facilities, said it'll be delayed. Then says undeliverable, and will be returned to seller.

now i gotta get on the phone with them in the morning and sort this shit out.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So angry.

accepted offer on a E9 on greentoe. They sent it, it went to the wrong facilities, said it'll be delayed. Then says undeliverable, and will be returned to seller.

now i gotta get on the phone with them in the morning and sort this shit out.
That sucks. They just wasted a couple hundred on shipping because of their incompetence.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
That sucks. They just wasted a couple hundred on shipping because of their incompetence.
Like OK, they made a mistake sending it to wrong facilitites. This place is not even far from me. They couldve just delayed it a day and deliver to me the next day, but instead it doesnt even attempt it and go straight back to seller?

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I'll elaborate, I don't mind not having every feature possible the following gen. I'll be comfortable getting "most" or even "some" though.
if thats the case than you can buy 2019 or 2020's televisions with no problems. for OLED is obvious what the choice would be, and if you want something cheaper than a QLED is fine, just remember that samsung isnt putting hdmi 2.1 on their sets. But they still can do 120fps(at 1440p)with the exception of the 49 inch models and ALLM.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I recorded a video of my screen uniformity issue. Do you folks think this is acceptable or should I continue to kick up a stink?

Holy shit. This is unacceptable. Is it brandnew? Usually after the first pixel-refresher (cumulative after 4 hours of watching) it can get waaay better.

Edit: Oops there is horizontal banding which comes from the youtube overlay while moving the mouse. I can't really see banding if i play it fullscreen.
Nevertheless, did the first pixel-refresher already run?

Last edited:

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
if thats the case than you can buy 2019 or 2020's televisions with no problems. for OLED is obvious what the choice would be, and if you want something cheaper than a QLED is fine, just remember that samsung isnt putting hdmi 2.1 on their sets. But they still can do 120fps(at 1440p)with the exception of the 49 inch models and ALLM.
Yeah currently I'm keeping my eye on the Vizio gaming-centric models, a 55'' C9 (or maybe even that 48'' since I have a 40'' currently, so any upgrade will be noticeable), and the new TCL's in case I don't end up wanting to spend the dough. I am still a bit wary with burn in given I want this to last a long time, so QLED might end up being where I go.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I think the 48 CX will outsell every tv this year. It's like the thing PC gamers have been waiting for. Asus and Acer dropped the ball on their $3k+ 4k HDR monitors.
That's not gonna happen if the price is the same as a 55". We shall see.

Just talking to people that work the sales floor at B&M stores, more people want this size for bedrooms and as smaller sets rather than PC monitors anyways.

Very much doubt this. LCD still outsells OLED by a huge factor (it's not even close). On top of that, 48 inches is kind of ridiculous as a desktop screen. You need to push it back farther so that it doesn't destroy FOV, but if you're doing that, you may as well stick with a smaller screen that you can view closer for the same effect. You would get really good contrast/perfect blacks and good HDR, and VRR, but the price is still a bit too high just for that.

It also doesn't pair well at all with many PC games that you would want to invest hundreds of hours in, on top of being dubious as a browser screen.
Yes, it is absolutely ridiculous as a desktop pc screen. TV enthusiasts are nutty. Bigger always = better OMG. I'd get motion sick if I used anything bigger than a 32" on the desk in front of me.

I appreciate your posts btw. They are a breath of fresh air inside what can often be a really weird echo chamber regarding OLEDs.

For someone who hasn't been following (and was under the impression that the LGs were the "best" OLED TVs in the regular consumer market), what are Panasonic doing that makes people prefer them?
It's just a dude bragging about Panasonic's availability in the UK.

/wave @ DVD Mike

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Are OLED TVs really buggy/problematic? I want to get an LG C9 but I feel like so many people are having weird issues from dimming, color issues, banding, burn on, etc. These things are not cheap so I'm worried about risking buying one if they are so problematic.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not gonna happen if the price is the same as a 55". We shall see.

Just talking to people that work the sales floor at B&M stores, more people want this size for bedrooms and as smaller sets rather than PC monitors anyways.

Yes, it is absolutely ridiculous as a desktop pc screen. TV enthusiasts are nutty. Bigger always = better OMG. I'd get motion sick if I used anything bigger than a 32" on the desk in front of me.

I see what you are saying. But to be fair if you ran it at 21:9 you would be getting about an extra inch for the top and bottom on a 48" screen vs a 32" monitor that is 16:9. Or an extra two inches on the top and bottom compared to a 27" 16:9 screen. Bars will not matter because it's just black. There are really no PC screens that are out that can touch it as far a screen quality goes and it's a massive difference. Is it the optimal senario? Probably not but it is a good one if you are willing to accept pros/cons what using an oled tv as a monitor.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are OLED TVs really buggy/problematic? I want to get an LG C9 but I feel like so many people are having weird issues from dimming, color issues, banding, burn on, etc. These things are not cheap so I'm worried about risking buying one if they are so problematic.

I don't think so. The LG OLED's, and specifically the C9, are really popular so you are just going to see people with problems more since there is just that many people who have one over other brands.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

no. The only issue is burn-in, the rest is literally nothing. In the more than half a year I had my C8 I only had the panel dim a total of 2 times, and lasted seconds. I don't even know what is the problem with colors and banding, OLED colors are great and accurate without being overblown like other TVs.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I see what you are saying. But to be fair if you ran it at 21:9 you would be getting about an extra inch for the top and bottom on a 48" screen vs a 32" monitor that is 16:9. Or an extra two inches on the top and bottom compared to a 27" 16:9 screen. Bars will not matter because it's just black. There are really no PC screens that are out that can touch it as far a screen quality goes and it's a massive difference. Is it the optimal senario? Probably not but it is a good one if you are willing to accept pros/cons what using an oled tv as a monitor.
We are all different.

Some people sit in the first row at the movie theater. I sit in the back row.

Oct 27, 2017
Just get it from Best Buy pay for the warranty and call it day. That way you don't have to worry about it for the next five years.