• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Where in the world are you?
Italy!

I mean the best lcd is priced in line with Oled, so at that point, might as well get Oled.

im guessing the Samsung Q90.
edit: ops q90 dont make 55 inch, so probably q80.

Actually in Europe there is a Q90R model of 55" but it has less dimming zones (240) so I don't know if it's still better then Q80

If you're coming from plasma, I have no choice but to recommend a 55" OLED to you.

Do you have Panasonic in your region?
I should have Panasonic TV here in Italy but yeah, it's because I come from Plasma that I'm thinking of going full LCD for peace of mind... and I'm reading a lot of complaining on OLED ABL and motion stutter/artifacts that aren't really selling it to me :/

(but never say never, I'll look at C10 reviews)

Most likely the Q80R https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled although there should be some new sets if you can wait until mid spring

Yeah, the plan is to take it with PS5 so around september/october.
So Q80R 55" is better then Q90R 55"?
What about crushed blacks, which one handles it better?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So my best choice is the 55" Q90R model (EU) and still is going to have worse black crush then 65" model, since have less dimming zone, right?

And the 65" Q90R is the best gaming LCD for Europe from what I understand, is this right too?

Black Crush is something that is present on many TV's both LCD and OLED, without calibration.
The dimming ones are to help with blooming, rather than black crush.

Q9FN and Q90R are both very similar.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I should have Panasonic TV here in Italy but yeah, it's because I come from Plasma that I'm thinking of going full LCD for peace of mind... and I'm reading a lot of complaining on OLED ABL and motion stutter/artifacts that aren't really selling it to me :/

If you're accustomed to plasma, I had a 65VT60 and this was the only tech that I could stand.

I use OLED light at 27 for all SDR content, and I calibrated all HDR modes.

I don't notice any issue with ABL, especially on SDR since I'm not pushing the panel over 150 nits.

Motion on a plasma used PWM which means you are refreshing the panel at such a high rate that the flicker kinda hides the frame transition. BUT, on your Plasma you get phosphor trails. Moving quickly left or right you get red/green trails with motion.

With OLED the response time is instantaneous. 1ms grey to grey. But since the response time is so fast, sources with lower frames are showing more time on screen which people interpret as "stutter" when in reality it's simply showing the image as best as possible.

Playing Destiny 2, Mario Maker 2, Apex Legends and other "twitch" games feels much, much better on my B8 than my plasma. Screen looks much "cleaner" too due to the 120hz panel and higher resolution.

I'm a proponent of accurate image quality, and having perfect black is something I won't compromise on. I could never do LCD or any set that's not self-emissive.

Last note. I'm a very heavy gamer. I used to get Image Retention on the VT60 like crazy. I have not seen any IR or signs of burn in whatsoever on the OLED and I'm pushing 3,400 hours with a lot of HDR gaming.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Italy!

Actually in Europe there is a Q90R model of 55" but it has less dimming zones (240) so I don't know if it's still better then Q80

Oh in the US they don't make the Q90R in 55", I don't believe, so yeah the 90 would be better!!

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
So I've been using a yamaha rxv379 receiver that I got as a home theater in a box. Upgraded the front speakers to nice floor standing ones. It's been fine but the receiver didnt support hdr, I was just using arc for audio. Got a Denon X1500h today and set it up and MAN everything sounds better. Their room correction EQ shit works way better than the ypao on my basic ass yamaha. It almost feels like the TV looks better now, I know that sounds crazy. I didn't realize a fancier receiver would make such an impact but wow. Dont hesitate to upgrade. Im just using the fart ass htib sub woofer from my yamaha too, though the floor standing speakers have 14inch subs so that helps. If I upgrade the center and the sub this shit will be a religious experience in my normal ass blue collar living room lmao.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
That's a good price.

I expect so see the 48" for less than 1000€ this year, as well as the 55" B9

Will be interesting to see how the 48CX affects the pricing of the whole lineup, up here in Finland it seems 55" B9 has stabilized at 999€ and C9 has been as low as 1200€. I'll probably bite once we get the first big drop from the release price.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm going to grab either a TCL 55" 625 or a 55" Vizio M Quantum tomorrow. The Vizio is slightly cheaper at Best Buy right now and is the highest recommended set of that price point on Rtings but curious if anyone had any swaying opinions towards the TCL. I'll probably use it as my primary for a year or so until I can upgrade to an OLED. Mostly just casual TV watching and gaming on Switch/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X.

My previous 4K set was a 49" Samsung KS8000 but haven't been using it for a year because it is too small for my new living room (been using a 55" LG 1080p so I'm dying).

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I think I'm going to grab either a TCL 55" 625 or a 55" Vizio M Quantum tomorrow. The Vizio is slightly cheaper at Best Buy right now and is the highest recommended set of that price point on Rtings but curious if anyone had any swaying opinions towards the TCL. I'll probably use it as my primary for a year or so until I can upgrade to an OLED. Mostly just casual TV watching and gaming on Switch/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X.

My previous 4K set was a 49" Samsung KS8000 but haven't been using it for a year because it is too small for my new living room (been using a 55" LG 1080p so I'm dying).
Idk about the picture quality of each (yet) but I'd go tcl because I'd rather use Roku than smartcast os

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Can anyone with a LG C9 comment on how the Bluetooth works on the tv (specifically in regards to lag)? I am looking to get the 48" CX once its released, and am wondering if I can reliably hook up my AirPods Pro to the Televisions bluetooth audio out to get a working wireless solution for PS4 / Switch / PC.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
C8 owners, its been a while since the 5.10.40 firmware update came out and I haven't read or heard of anything being in broken with it, so I think I'm going to just upgrade to it, unless someone has read anything bad about it.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
C8 owners, its been a while since the 5.10.40 firmware update came out and I haven't read or heard of anything being in broken with it, so I think I'm going to just upgrade to it, unless someone has read anything bad about it.

Let us know how it does. I've read enough about it on avs that I think it's safe but have just been too lazy to unblock the update servers from my router.

Mar 11, 2019
Italy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9OlRHg_o0o (2 mins in the video)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUezK5B4ig4
The Q80R apparently suffers from crushed blacks (I think I read it was because of the increased viewing angle filter or the reflection filter, forgot which one it was) and the q90 performs better on that front. I would rate the q90 as one of the best led tvs of 2019.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
My 65" C9 got delivered today, pretty excited to set it up fully later. I played around with it while the bottom half was still in the thick styrafoam, so I couldn't see/navigate some of the settings but I imagine it has some Eco/power settings turned on by default?

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Man, if I wanted to get an awesome big-screen TV on a budget right now I would hop on this deal in an instant.

Sony 65" Class X950G Series 4K LED Smart TV w/ HDR XBR65X950G – $1199 + Free Shipping

This is a great TV for the price especially with Sony's best in class upscaling and motion processing. Be warned this TV has excessive blooming in black bars during movies and dark scenes. Sony didn't want their LEDs to compete with their Oleds so they cut the dimmings zones in their 2018 and 2019 LEDs.

Apr 21, 2018
ok, a little late to the party here but... at the end what happend to the sligh more input lag using PC Mode than game mode even in SDR?

l decide to give P4OLO Game Mode settings a spin and they look good, but man, the input lag its SOME MUCH BETTER.

l dont know if im getting the most placebo effect of the world, but in non PC Mode (game console) everything its so smooth and gameplay its so snappy, l roll back to PC Mode and l dont know, sometime l notice the lag sometimes not, its very strange.

this si purely SDR, l give up HDR a while back, never looked good to me even with the DC tricks.

ALSO: l decide to keep sharpness 10 and EE On in web os content (non game) y eveything its mucho sharper and crispy, at firtss its very hard to notice, but play some content and you will notice the more sharp pleasent picture.

B7 here, closed to the 5000 hours mark.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Any word on the C10 / CX having any type of built-in G-sync module or VRR hardware improvements? (over the C9)

Like with computer monitors for example, you're going to have better compatibility if you don't buy a freesync monitor that is simply "G-sync compatible" . The ones with the g-sync modules / processors perform better. I don't trust that a simple firmware update is going to create the best possible user experience.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on the C10 / CX having any type of built-in G-sync module or VRR hardware improvements? (over the C9)

Like with computer monitors for example, you're going to have better compatibility if you don't buy a freesync monitor that is simply "G-sync compatible" . The ones with the g-sync modules / processors perform better. I don't trust that a simple firmware update is going to create the best possible user experience.
They do not have the G-Sync Module. From what I have researched the VRR and G-Sync is the exact same as the 2019 LG OLED TV's.

toneroni

Oct 25, 2017

I just bought my parents the Vizio M and tried out the TCL6 last year. The Vizio has smart cast which is pretty cool but Roku TV interface is muuuch better. I think PQ is likely close. I'm still calibrating the Viz and TCL was pretty good out of the box. I thought the TCL was awesome looking (have an OLED and 900F to compare). If you're not using much of the smart features than the Vizio should be fine. Just make sure its the M558 though and not 557 for additional dimming zones.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I just bought my parents the Vizio M and tried out the TCL6 last year. The Vizio has smart cast which is pretty cool but Roku TV interface is muuuch better. I think PQ is likely close. I'm still calibrating the Viz and TCL was pretty good out of the box. I thought the TCL was awesome looking (have an OLED and 900F to compare). If you're not using much of the smart features than the Vizio should be fine. Just make sure its the M558 though and not 557 for additional dimming zones.

I ended up grabbing the M558 yesterday and so far I'm very happy. Still adjusting the settings but it's pretty easy to get to a good place right out of the box with minimal adjustments. Played some Spider-Man on PS4 Pro, Gears 5 on 1X, and watched Blade Runner 2049 UHD Blu-ray and I'm definitely satisfied. I don't plan on using SmartCast at all since I have two consoles hooked up, plus an AppleTV (gotta upgrade to a 4K version now though).

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about the LG E9... is it really a glass screen like the panasonic plasmas? Thinking I may jump on one if so because it'll be the last chance to get a glass screen 4K TV. LG is only doing the glass thing with their 8K model this year.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Question about the LG E9... is it really a glass screen like the panasonic plasmas? Thinking I may jump on one if so because it'll be the last chance to get a glass screen 4K TV. LG is only doing the glass thing with their 8K model this year.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but they're all using glass screens. The Es just have a glass on glass thing going on.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

this is exactly what i did. I had a e8 already, and love the design. Bought a e9 cause it was getting discontinued.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but they're all using glass screens. The Es just have a glass on glass thing going on.
Yep. Who knew glass was more expensive than metal.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Jun 10, 2018
Rtings.com is reporting that TCL announced that all of their 2020 TV's will be supporting HDMI 2.1.

Unlike most brands, TCL didn't announce a full lineup at CES. This isn't really unexpected, as TCL just updated much of their lineup in September 2019. Instead, TCL gave us a brief glimpse of the features they plan to support in 2020. TCL plans on releasing their first 8k LED TV this year, as well as an improved Mini-LED panel, which uses a technology they call 'Vidrian'.

Beyond that, TCL also announced that all of their 2020 TVs will support HDMI 2.1, including support for variable refresh rates and eARC. They also announced that they plan on adding support for variable refresh rates to some of their 2019 models.

I am not sure if that is miscommunication or not. But if it's true, then their 5-Series and 6-Series will be very attractive to budget gamers. The 5-Series is getting updated with a Quantum Dot panel, Full Array Local Dimming, and higher peak brightness. The 43" would make for a great PC monitor as well as being great for next-gen consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Rtings.com is reporting that TCL announced that all of their 2020 TV's will be supporting HDMI 2.1.

I am not sure if that is miscommunication or not. But if it's true, then their 5-Series and 6-Series will be very attractive to budget gamers. The 5-Series is getting updated with a Quantum Dot panel, Full Array Local Dimming, and higher peak brightness. The 43" would make for a great PC monitor as well as being great for next-gen consoles.
Potentially. Its possible there 43" will have only 12 or 16 zones though, which greatly diminishes its value. Will have to see.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nice. I was already leaning toward picking up a 2020 6 series 65" once they're out a while and there's some good deals (like the $700 for the 2019 6 series I've seen a few times lately). I'll still do some research when it comes time to by (maybe Black Friday this fall or Super Bowl sales spring 2021) of course. But TCL 6 series is probably the front runner as long as the 2020 models review similarly well to this year's.

Reason being I'm not a videophile at all, have major OCD about burn in/image retention so I can't see getting an OLED or shelling out for a higher end model period. I also don't have to worry about viewing angles as it's for my man cave that just has a love seat directly in front of the TV, and I'm not picky about black levels etc. I just want to move on to a decent 4k/HDR set, go from my current 55" to a 65" and have HDMI 2.1 to be more future proofed and ideally stay under $1,000 (I can afford a good bit more, just doesn't seem worth it given how non-fussy I am about picture quality anymore).

I will need a new receiver as well though as mine doesn't do 4K pass through--though I guess I could just put stuff directly to the TV and do the optical out to the receiver for a while (assuming I don't hit audio sync issues with that). I may try that first, unless I see a cheap-ish receiver with HDMI 2.1. I'm even less of an audiophile than I am a videophile and mostly game with my Sony Gold headset anyway. I just have a cheap Denon entry level 5.1 receiver now, with cheap Energy 5.0 speakers and an old Sony subwoofer from a home theater in a box I bought back around 2001.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
Potentially. Its possible there 43" will have only 12 or 16 zones though, which greatly diminishes its value. Will have to see.
It's possible, but I think it'd be unlikely since it seems they may be wanting to compete with both Vizio and Hisense. Hisense offers a 50" (H8F) with 32 zones and 700 nits of peak brightness for $399 (though it's regularly discounted to $349). And they'll be bringing the H8G this year with a Quantum Dot Panel and more dimming zones starting at $399 for the 50" (likely 48 zones for the 50" as they stated the H8G will have 50% more dimming zones then the H8F). TCL would need to compete with that. I don't think they would pull a Vizio and offer such a minuscule amount of zones since it seems like the 2020 5-Series should replace the 2019 6-Series for probably the same amount of money as the 2019 5-Series and maybe fewer zones.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's just bezel design. All the screens are glass.

What would the advantage of the module ve
The module that are part of computer monitors allows the range to be lower. Right now on the LG and the CX the range is at 40 minimum. So if you are playing a 30fps game and it drops, Gsync will not do anything for you. It will only work when the game is above 40 fps. So if you are targeting 60fps and you game dips to 41 it will still feel smooth because Gsync is engaged, if it drops below 40 it will do nothing. VRR/Freesync has the same minimum range as well on both the LG's and the Samsung QLED sets.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017

Ooh interesting. I am also curious on Vizio's gaming series, though is it an issue that it's only 60hz? The idea of supporting freesync sounds great to me.

Jun 10, 2018
Ooh interesting. I am also curious on Vizio's gaming series, though is it an issue that it's only 60hz? The idea of supporting freesync sounds great to me.
I think it'd depend on how many games go above 60 fps on the PS5 and Xbox Series X. For the vast majority of games I think a 60hz panel would be fine. But it also depends if developers give options next-gen, like being able to unlock the frame rate from say a 30 fps or 60 fps cap. Most current tv's and Vizio's lineup have a VRR frequency range of 48hz - 60hz (and 48hz - 120hz on 120hz panels). Though there are 60hz PC monitors with a more generous range of 40hz - 60hz. It's unknown what TCL's VRR range will be, but I'd bet it would be the common 48hz - 60hz on the 5-Series and 6-Series.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
So I got my NU8000 and I can't lie, calibrating a TV is frickin hard. I thought it would be a matter of just copying Rtings settings but it doesn't seem to be so.

Worst part is I can't tell if colours are washed out or whatever because I don't have a reference to compare to.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing I could think of regarding 60 Hz vs 120 Hz for VRR is if there's some form of low framerate compensation allowing for the VRR range to effectively extend lower. It'd be possible with the 48 - 120 Hz sets, but not the 48-60 Hz sets, since it requires the max to be at least twice the min.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I think it'd depend on how many games go above 60 fps on the PS5 and Xbox Series X. For the vast majority of games I think a 60hz panel would be fine. But it also depends if developers give options next-gen, like being able to unlock the frame rate from say a 30 fps or 60 fps cap. Most current tv's and Vizio's lineup have a VRR frequency range of 48hz - 60hz (and 48hz - 120hz on 120hz panels). Though there are 60hz PC monitors with a more generous range of 40hz - 60hz. It's unknown what TCL's VRR range will be, but I'd bet it would be the common 48hz - 60hz on the 5-Series and 6-Series.
Seems like for future proofing sake it's better to get a 120hz set then JUST in case.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
My 65" C9 got delivered today, pretty excited to set it up fully later. I played around with it while the bottom half was still in the thick styrafoam, so I couldn't see/navigate some of the settings but I imagine it has some Eco/power settings turned on by default?
No. And you should remove the packaging material including the panel protection foil before turning on the TV! The additional heat could damage your panel!

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
Hey guys anyone have a good guess to what date LG C9 65" will be floating around until they stock new model?

I was about to purchase one for £1999 but not sure if waiting a couple more weeks or months would reduce the price by much.