• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Whats the gist? Probably that prices go down with more competition?
Current OLED topologies have kind of plateaued and this year's panels are the same as last. Supposedly LG has an agreement with each manufacturer they supply, so no one can undercut them on pricing. QD-OLED should help move things forward a bit, but those rely on blue elements, which have shorter lifetimes. We'll be in kind of a holding pattern until microLED can become affordable.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I think the 48 CX will outsell every tv this year. It's like the thing PC gamers have been waiting for. Asus and Acer dropped the ball on their $3k+ 4k HDR monitors.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Current OLED topologies have kind of plateaued and this year's panels are the same as last. Supposedly LG has an agreement with each manufacturer they supply, so no one can undercut them on pricing. QD-OLED should help move things forward a bit, but those rely on blue elements, which have shorter lifetimes. We'll be in kind of a holding pattern until microLED can become affordable.
Thanks, sounds like prices wont go down since lg is still the supplier and they set the base price on oleds.

glad i jumped in now then. If a 48inch goes for like 800 one day i will get one as a monitor.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks, sounds like prices wont go down since lg is still the supplier and they set the base price on oleds.

glad i jumped in now then. If a 48inch goes for like 800 one day i will get one as a monitor.

The C9 was $2500 on launch day. I can't imagine the 48 inch one being 1/3rd of that price

I think the 48 CX will outsell every tv this year. It's like the thing PC gamers have been waiting for. Asus and Acer dropped the ball on their $3k+ 4k HDR monitors.
^
The upper threshold for what a typical PC gamer will typcially pay for a monitor is in the low hundreds, a $2000 option is not going to be any more attractive than the current premium gaming monitors of that price -especially when you need a graphics card that doesn't exist to make use of it.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
The C9 was $2500 on launch day. I can't imagine the 48 inch one being 1/3rd of that price

^
The upper threshold for what a typical PC gamer will typcially pay for a monitor is in the low hundreds, a $2000 option is not going to be any more attractive than the current premium gaming monitors of that price -especially when you need a graphics card that doesn't exist to make use of it.
I said one day, not day one.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Just ordered the 65" r625. Super excited. Not a major picture quality upgrade from my 55" KS8000 but the size difference is gonna be awesome. Felt I needed to upgrade before Last of us 2.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the 65" r625. Super excited. Not a major picture quality upgrade from my 55" KS8000 but the size difference is gonna be awesome. Felt I needed to upgrade before Last of us 2.

Let us know what you think, especially compared to your KS8000. Looking to replace my KS8000 sometime soon. Probably going OLED but TCL is my cheaper alternative.

Hawkijustin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
Would a new OLED tv be worth it if I already have a ks8000? Right now I'm 95+% movies and tv but once TLoU2 and new systems come out I'll be gaming more. I want those ultra deep blacks and VRR hdmi 2.1 offers but $1500+ is steep.

side note. My 65ks8000 has suffered from black screen flicker when pumping 4K hdmi info into it since the day I bought it. It's very annoying

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Finally thinking of jumping to 4K. Looking like I might go for a 55in c9. Apparently tvs only support 1440p at 120hz and not true 4k? I made a thread awhile ago and thought I'd ask here instead of bumping.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Very much doubt this. LCD still outsells OLED by a huge factor (it's not even close). On top of that, 48 inches is kind of ridiculous as a desktop screen. You need to push it back farther so that it doesn't destroy FOV, but if you're doing that, you may as well stick with a smaller screen that you can view closer for the same effect. You would get really good contrast/perfect blacks and good HDR, and VRR, but the price is still a bit too high just for that.

It also doesn't pair well at all with many PC games that you would want to invest hundreds of hours in, on top of being dubious as a browser screen.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would a new OLED tv be worth it if I already have a ks8000? Right now I'm 95+% movies and tv but once TLoU2 and new systems come out I'll be gaming more. I want those ultra deep blacks and VRR hdmi 2.1 offers but $1500+ is steep.

side note. My 65ks8000 has suffered from black screen flicker when pumping 4K hdmi info into it since the day I bought it. It's very annoying

I think most owners that have switched to one of the newer high end (last 2 years) FALD LCDs or OLEDs have said the change improvement is pretty big.

Very much doubt this. LCD still outsells OLED, and on top of that, 48 inches is kind of ridiculous as a desktop screen. You need to push it back farther so that it doesn't destroy FOV, but if you're doing that, you may as well stick with a smaller screen that you can view closer for the same effect.

It also doesn't pair well at all with many PC games that you would want to invest hundreds of hours in, on top of being dubious as a browser screen.

Yep, the lower end models will always outsell what is basically the highest end tier by a lot.

If we're talking "premium" TVs then that depends on at which price point we start talking, or how much the CX 48" even costs.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Are you talking about panels, or TVs? Because LG Display was the one supplying the panels to Panasonic, Sony and LG Electronics. I didn't realize someone else was currently making OLED panels too. In any event, there's no agreement with LG Electronics and the rest who are making these sets, or else you wouldn't have companies like Hisense and Vizio entering the OLED scene right now.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Even if that were somehow true, it doesn't make any sense. LG Display supplies the OLED panels to everyone, and LG Electronics are who make the TVs. Two different companies. If no one could sell for less than LG Electronics, you wouldn't have Hisense and Vizio entering the OLED scene.
You're welcome to address the members of the podcast. It's their claim.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda nuts to me that a 48 inch display is considered a desktop monitor. Like, how deep of a desk are we talking about here? I measured on my desk and there's no way, I'd be wearing my neck out.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
It's kinda nuts to me that a 48 inch display is considered a desktop monitor. Like, how deep of a desk are we talking about here? I measured on my desk and there's no way, I'd be wearing my neck out.

I'm eagerly waiting for the 48CX to replace my 43" Sony XD8005 tv as my secondary monitor/tv/gaming display. I don't foresee any problems with the size. When I used the Sony as primary monitor it was about 60cm (24") from the edge of the desk, viewing distance being anything from 70 to 130cm (28" to 50"). At the moment I'm using a 32" 1440p display that's 40cm from the edge of the desk with the tv a bit farther back and to the side so that the display heights pretty much match at typical viewing distance

Yiorgos

Apr 22, 2018
With all the people playing HDR games in this thread i have a question. Does the C9 dim when there are static images on screen in HDR games? Huds, ammo etc? I have a Sony A1E and after a specific update dimming was introduced to ensure the longevity of the panel. It has gotten better since 2018 with subsequent firmware updates ( better as in not that severe) but its still there and annoying. Whats the point of playing in HDR if the screen is going to be dimmed to avoid burn in? This is on all Sony OLEDs since then including A9G/F A8G/F. I have read that the C9 has something like this and Vincent demonstrates it in his review for the C9 with some commercials but i would some real feedback for gamers. Thanks a lot for any input.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Well, turns out without Panasonic I would have never bought an OLED.

20200103-193305.jpg

They really are embarrassing everyone else making TVs

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who hasn't been following (and was under the impression that the LGs were the "best" OLED TVs in the regular consumer market), what are Panasonic doing that makes people prefer them?

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I too love Panasonic, but I'd only buy the GZ2000. The 950 doesn't have any features that stand out.
Compared to?? It has all the HDR formats, and it is only missing the custom panel (this one still beats anything else due to the processing) and the speakers that I would never use.
But way to do a drive by shitpost congrats.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I want the best the market can offer honestly, then I'll think about the price, isn't really a deciding factor for now.4k btw, no 8k crap. Thanks!
I mean the best lcd is priced in line with Oled, so at that point, might as well get Oled.

im guessing the Samsung Q90.
edit: ops q90 dont make 55 inch, so probably q80.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who hasn't been following (and was under the impression that the LGs were the "best" OLED TVs in the regular consumer market), what are Panasonic doing that makes people prefer them?
Seems like they are taking barbones LG OLED panels and then heavily tweaking them with their own components to boost the picture, especially in terms of brightness I believe.

Panasonic TVs not available in the USA anymore though which sucks. But panasonic is still lacking hdmi 2.1 on their tvs though, which will be important for pc gaming and likely console gaming in the future. I would still lean towards LG if you are into gaming. Because you get hdmi 2.1 features and lower input lag.

Last edited:

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
Compared to?? It has all the HDR formats, and it is only missing the custom panel (this one still beats anything else due to the processing) and the speakers that I would never use.
But way to do a drive by shitpost congrats.

Lower peak brightness than the LG, no HDMI 2.1. 22ms of input latency vs 13ms.

No Magic Remote. Sorry, but this is a deal breaker for some.

HDR10+ is only useful on low-nit TVs. Dolby Vision and HDR10 with custom tone mapping works much better.

Please don't accuse me of shit posting especially when your post made a claim with nothing to back it up. Thanks.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Lower peak brightness than the LG, no HDMI 2.1. 22ms of input latency vs 13ms.

No Magic Remote. Sorry, but this is a deal breaker for some.

HDR10+ is only useful on low-nit TVs. Dolby Vision and HDR10 with custom tone mapping works much better.

Please don't accuse me of shit posting especially when your post made a claim with nothing to back it up. Thanks.
Lower? They both hit up to 750 depending on panel lottery, ALM is the only 2.1 feature I need and it has it, yes 22ms is like using stadia.

Magic remote? Lol really? Embarrassing

And if you have not used 10+ on the regular don't throw crap you heard on YouTube, it's a bit silly.
And All OLED sets are low nit.....

You took my obviously personal view and jumped on it like a child in a playground trying to justify your purchase not being the same as someone else.
You can love Goldstar but I for one prefer better upscaling, near black, HDR formats.

Picture quality > a remote you can wave about.

Don't shit on people and get defensive when you get called on it.
Enjoy the ignore list.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Lower? They both hit up to 750 depending on panel lottery, ALM is the only 2.1 feature I need and it has it, yes 22ms is like using stadia.

Magic remote? Lol really? Embarrassing

And if you have not used 10+ on the regular don't throw crap you heard on YouTube, it's a bit silly.
And All OLED sets are low nit.....

You took my obviously personal view and jumped on it like a child in a playground trying to justify your purchase not being the same as someone else.
You can love Goldstar but I for one prefer better upscaling, near black, HDR formats.

Picture quality > a remote you can wave about.

Don't shit on people and get defensive when you get called on it.
Enjoy the ignore list.
You have issues.

Oct 27, 2017
I just read somewhere that b9 with not support 120hz gsync with hdr when 2.1 comes out just the c9 and new 2020 series. Is that correct?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

The Panasonic sets are more colour accurate than the LG sets and they support every single HDR format. This makes them a better proposition for people who are using one for home cinema.

Panasonic also offer the Z models, which have some extra cooling solutions which allow the OLED displays to go achieve APL higher that the LG sets.
They are good enough to be used as basic reference displays

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I just read somewhere that b9 with not support 120hz gsync with hdr when 2.1 comes out just the c9 and new 2020 series. Is that correct?

I could see that. The B series has been using the A7 chipset for processing, whereas the C series and up use the A9.

Did they confirm 120hz sync for the 2019 sets? I thought they were still bound to 60.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they are taking barbones LG OLED panels and then heavily tweaking them with their own components to boost the picture, especially in terms of brightness I believe.

Panasonic TVs not available in the USA anymore though which sucks. But panasonic is still lacking hdmi 2.1 on their tvs though, which will be important for pc gaming and likely console gaming in the future. I would still lean towards LG if you are into gaming. Because you get hdmi 2.1 features and lower input lag.
The Panasonic sets are more colour accurate than the LG sets and they support every single HDR format. This makes them a better proposition for people who are using one for home cinema.

Panasonic also offer the Z models, which have some extra cooling solutions which allow the OLED displays to go achieve APL higher that the LG sets.
They are good enough to be used as basic reference displays

Thanks for the answers. I knew about Sony doing extra processing and supposedly looking better for movies and upscales, but I had zero knowledge on what Panasonic were doing.

I'm not committed to buying anything so I figured I'd ask. I'll probably still keep that 48" CX as my top option for now though

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Thanks for the answers. I knew about Sony doing extra processing and supposedly looking better for movies and upscales, but I had zero knowledge on what Panasonic were doing.

I'm not committed to buying anything so I figured I'd ask. I'll probably still keep that 48" CX as my top option for now though
If Panasonic still sold their TVs in the US I'd likely go with them.