• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Man the Sony 65 900f is only 1k. Such a good value

I own two of these sets. 55" and 65" versions and I'm very happy with them. Yes there is some blooming, as another poster mentioned but it's certainly not as bad as he is describing. Maybe an issue with his particular panel? Blooming on SDR is almost non-existent. On HDR there is some, depending on the content but invest in some bias lighting which will help with masking some of that. It helps with elevating black levels and providing more contrast.

In terms of image quality and upscaling, Sony are right up there with the best. 1k for for this set at 65" is very good value!

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have a five year warranty, I'd probably TRY to make it burn-in. :-)

I got my Q90R via a Best Buy warranty replacement of my Sony XBR-X900A. Just a week before the warranty expired, too. But, frankly, the Best Buy Warranty is SO freaking expensive that I didn't opt for it a second time on my 75" Q90R.

Haha, thats what im doing with the 48" CX or C11 im probably getting as my new PC monitor.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, my 65 c9 looks great. One problem maybe someone can answer for me. I can't set resolutions above 1080p on my PC. I have a Radeon RX 580, my drivers are updated. I'm only really aiming for 1440p, but I can't really change any options and I'm not sure how to fix this. I don't plan on this being a main gaming PC, but I want to know why I can't change these options.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it belongs here, but it might be of interest to some:
I needed an extra-long HDMI cable run for the new home theater setup I've been putting together, and after looking over all the options it seemed like HDBaseT would be the least-expensive and most convenient option - if it lived up to its claims.

I've never really seen much information on these devices from enthusiasts, and have been skeptical of them.
But I tried out an "AV Access" brand adapter which seemed to tick all the right boxes for my needs: Uncompressed 4K60 with EDID cloning (critically important), claims of zero latency, and as a bonus it also included USB. It does analog audio too, but you shouldn't use it (it's bad). A shame it doesn't have an S/PDIF connection as one of their other boxes does.
…and it works!

I got to check it with a lag tester today and I'm measuring 0.14ms delay.
The EDID management works correctly - so 1080p120 works. I wasn't sure if it would, since they only advertised 4K60.
And USB works for more than just keyboards and mice. They work like regular USB ports. I was able to connect controllers and even a USB audio interface, which all worked like they were connected directly to the PC. I'm guessing it's a single 480 mbps link.

It's not cheap, but I've spent far more on long cables and active HDMI/USB extenders in total, when trying to find a solution that worked in the past.
Being able to do this all over a single ethernet cable -which even carries power to the receiver- and for less than the cables I was looking at feels like cheating.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously getting antsy waiting for my C9. I bought off Greentoe at a great price, so I guess I can't complain too much. But my offer got accepted on the 14th, shipped on the 16th and it's still not here yet and it's the weekend now.

Gotta wait til next week now I guess. Shipped via AMtrucking from New Jersey to to CA.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I own two of these sets. 55" and 65" versions and I'm very happy with them. Yes there is some blooming, as another poster mentioned but it's certainly not as bad as he is describing. Maybe an issue with his particular panel? Blooming on SDR is almost non-existent. On HDR there is some, depending on the content but invest in some bias lighting which will help with masking some of that. It helps with elevating black levels and providing more contrast.

In terms of image quality and upscaling, Sony are right up there with the best. 1k for for this set at 65" is very good value!

Bias lighting def helps perceived contrast, helped with my pos Sony 850D, IPS edge lit LCD.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm seriously getting antsy waiting for my C9. I bought off Greentoe at a great price, so I guess I can't complain too much. But my offer got accepted on the 14th, shipped on the 16th and it's still not here yet and it's the weekend now.

Gotta wait til next week now I guess. Shipped via AMtrucking from New Jersey to to CA.

I never even heard of Greentoe. Are they reliable? What does their return policy look like?

Anyone else have any experience with them?

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck, are you in a war zone or something? That sucks 😳
One could think so, but no i'm in Sweden.

Bombing however seem to have become the go to method for warring criminal gangs to attack each other, and they don't care if innocent people are caught in the way. I just happened to live next door to someone who apparently was connected in some way. Was an all right neighbourhood and I could never had guessed something like this would ever happen. The bomb was one of the two biggest to ever detonate in the history of Sweden, so its a good ice breaker if you need to make conversation.

But lets not derail this thread even further!
The Q90R is pretty sweet and my new apartment is an upgrade (after i'm done with all renovations) so it all turned out for the best in the end! :3

Yukstin

Oct 31, 2017
Nashville, TN
I used Greentoe to by my C9 last year. They basically act as a middle man to get you a good price. The the TV will ship from an LG authorized dealer. The vendor will vary by where they can get you the best deal. I'm not sure on the return policy.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I never even heard of Greentoe. Are they reliable? What does their return policy look like?

Greentoe is awesome, you offer a price and they can accept or counter offer. The way it works is "they" are actually hidden from you (until you accept an offer), but it's always an authorized dealer. So you can rest assured you're getting it from a legit place with warranty and stuff.

it's how I bought my previous 900f. best deals usually

Oct 27, 2017

Greentoe is the portal. Normally it's like beach camera who is or somebody that sells it. Both of my oled from them have been fine. My next one I may get from Best buy as that will probably be the tv I use over the next few years for gaming and I will just get the warranty not to be assed by burn issues. My other two will just before movies/Netflix primarily.

Which leads to my next question. So the b/c9s are not 120p 4k hdr vrr/gsync until we get HDMI 2.1? But the b/cx are with 4 with HDMI 2.0? Are we assured that 2019s will absolutely get 4k 120hz with HDR with 2.1? Something seems strange that the next year model supports a lower bandwidth than the prior but no proof of 120hz 4k w/HDR support working.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
How bad is the crushed black issue with the Q90R? And having less dimming zone make it worse?

I'm actually unaware of a black crush issue on the Q90R, and I own one.

That said, pinpoints of light like a starfield can appear to be dimmer than on an OLED. But unless you had the two side by side, you'd be unlikely to notice.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hoping to get the LG C9 with a good warranty next month. Been waiting for my W2 to come in but still nothing so I'm going to miss out on the Superbowl deals.

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm actually unaware of a black crush issue on the Q90R, and I own one.

That said, pinpoints of light like a starfield can appear to be dimmer than on an OLED. But unless you had the two side by side, you'd be unlikely to notice.
Saw this video where the lens flare at the beginning completely disappear on the Q90R (on the right) :/

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping to get the LG C9 with a good warranty next month. Been waiting for my W2 to come in but still nothing so I'm going to miss out on the Superbowl deals.
Which Super Bowl deals on the C9? I'm getting the itch to jump in for some stupid reason (still need to get a media console that would fit the 55'')

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
C9 65" is $2099 at Best Buy at the moment and I have about $200 in rewards/gift cards so $1899 for me. I am so close to just pulling the trigger on that.

I dunno where you live, if there's sales tax. But check greentoe and make an offer. $1899 final price is exactly how much I got my C9 for that's currently being delivered. The best part though was that the authorized dealer I got it from, was willing to go that low INCLUDING tax. Which here in California, would have been another good chunk added.

I wouldn't have bought it otherwise lol.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Saw this video where the lens flare at the beginning completely disappear on the Q90R (on the right) :/

Unfortunately you can't really trust a video to show you what your eyes would see in person. Your eyes work differently than a camera's sensor does. He had to choose an exposure that matched one of the TVs (actually this video appears to use a dynamic exposure, which is even worse) and then the other one is screwed in the comparison.

BTW, I found the source video. It looks spectacular on my Q90R and that lens flare isn't actually a lens flare. It's just really bright. And it's just overexposed in the video you posted, which makes it look like a flare. That just drives my point home. A camera pointed at a screen should not be trusted.

Last edited:

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Should i accept the Greentoe counter offer on a E9 65inch for $2075? What is the lowest it has been?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Should I buy a C9 now before they are gone or is there any reason to wait for the new models?
The C9's will still be around for a while. At least until CX shows up and they go on closeout.

The CX has very few edge cases that might make you want to jump. Filmmaker mode (this can be achieved manually), Dolby IQ, 4K120 over HDMI 2.0 with reduced chroma, 120Hz BFI, FreeSync. Otherwise, just go with a C9.

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Have a question hoping folks can help me with. I have a capture card that supports everything visual 2.0b offers through it's passthrough, however there's two problems. It doesn't work when I plug the passthrough into my AV Receiver, it results in a 1080p signal with no audio. It also only supports PCM audio, no Dolby or DTS support. So I can't just plug the passthrough into my TV and use ARC to get the surround sound to my receiver. I've been looking at splitters, but they all seem to limit HDR to 4:2:0 and one I bought and tried wouldn't even pass audio in HDR, only SDR.

So what exactly can I do in this instance? Would something like an audio extractor work? I have no experience with them.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Have a question hoping folks can help me with. I have a capture card that supports everything visual 2.0b offers through it's passthrough, however there's two problems. It doesn't work when I plug the passthrough into my AV Receiver, it results in a 1080p signal with no audio. It also only supports PCM audio, no Dolby or DTS support. So I can't just plug the passthrough into my TV and use ARC to get the surround sound to my receiver. I've been looking at splitters, but they all seem to limit HDR to 4:2:0 and one I bought and tried wouldn't even pass audio in HDR, only SDR.

So what exactly can I do in this instance? Would something like an audio extractor work? I have no experience with them.
Would this work?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Should I buy a C9 now before they are gone or is there any reason to wait for the new models?

My C8 has a manufacting date of May 2019 so yeah... C9 will be around for quite a while lol You can always wait till CX launch, and if it's not worth it, get a C9 because they will be cheaper than now.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

what capture card is it? I'm guessing there is some kind of EDID related thing happening.
I know with my card I can set the EDID that is passed through to the display

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You have to forgive me, I'm not sure how to do this. I only ever used it to apply the metadata string for brighter HDR on the B7. Would it be possible to walk me through it?

IkEQkHF.png

Connect to the TV directly (not via capture card)
On this screen , set the option to "sink EDID"
Read edid
Save to file

then put the linker back in place
Change to custom edid
Load file
Upload edid

alternatively you can chose a custom edid from the dropdown and press upload.

try it between the receiver and card or between the Tv and capture card if that doesn't work.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
IkEQkHF.png

Connect to the TV directly (not via capture card)
On this screen , set the option to "sink EDID"
Read edid
Save to file

then put the linker back in place
Change to custom edid
Load file
Upload edid

alternatively you can chose a custom edid from the dropdown and press upload.

try it between the receiver and card or between the Tv and capture card if that doesn't work.
Tried the EDID with just the Linker connected to the TV with an HDMI, then going TV > Capture Card > Linker > Receiver and I get no signal. Tried the EDID with the linker connected between the TV and the Receiver, then going TV > Capture Card > Linker > Receiver and I again get no signal. I can see in the Linker app it attempting to grab the signal but instantly losing it. Nothing seems to work with the Capture Card passthrough going through the Linker.

EDIT: I am able to get it to work (TV > Capture Card > Linker > Receiver) in 1080p. 5.1 through my receiver, HDR, everything works. But the moment I put it at either 4k YUV420 or 4k RGB, no signal.

Last edited: