• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
This year we have both UEFA Euro 20 & Olympics. I remain optimistic that we'll get news and launches before then because manufacturers will want to pitch their TVs for them.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Rtings recommends to buy whichever is cheaper

Because they are doing no in-depth reviews. I wouldn't recommend the B9 over the C9. It's not really a huge price difference and the C9 got some pretty big advantages:

1. Better Near-black-handling, less flashing: https://youtu.be/MzmKsPwoe_w?t=82
2. Higher peak brightness, less punchy HDR, i think this would be visible especially while HDR gaming: https://youtu.be/MzmKsPwoe_w?t=220
3. Motion-artifacts with De-Judder 4 on the B9 at this particulary scene where the C9 doesn't show them at all, even at De-Judder 5, tested it myself: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...-s-thread-no-price-talk-382.html#post59077490

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've had bad experiences with Dolby Vision and Apple 4KTV, first with a Sony 900f. HDR/SDR never in issue. Apparently the DV version that Sony uses results in noticeably dimmer picture when using Apple TV box. This was mostly just on Sony sets. The built in TV apps displayed DV fine, but when using the Apple TV, it would be dimmer. Even RTINGS was able to confirm this.

Then I swapped it out for the Vizio PQX, and apparently a recent firmware update on that TV did the same thing! There's a lot of people complaining about it on the owners thread and reddit. But I couldn't tell as much since when I bought the TV I instantly updated it and never saw what it looked like before the firmware update. And I never bothered to use the built in apps to compare. Also, the PQX's higher peak brightness was better as hiding the issue and I already made up my mind to return to set for other reasons, so whatever.

So here we are now and I'm waiting for my C9 order to process while I'm reading up on reddit and stuff, and apparently this TV also (recently?) started having issues with Dolby Vision and Apple TV box. This issue is that it has way elevated black levels. As in, the entire image can't hit pure black, including the letter box black bars. Lots of people complaining about it. Only "fix" is to lower brightness from 50>49 but then it crushes blacks. Again, only happens with Dolby Vision and issue doesn't happen with built in TV apps.

I just want to use my Apple TV, frustrating that Apple TV and Dolby Vision have so many issues across different devices.

You C9 owners with Apple 4K TVs, have you all noticed these elevated blacks when watching Dolby Vision?
As far as I know, the difference with Apple TV is that the black bars are also part of the video stream, so they are also affected by tone mapping changes in DV content.

The video itself should be displaying correctly, but you'll notice the bars changing black level along with the rest of the content

But do note I'm repeating what I read elsewhere and don't have the means to test this myself so hopefully someone else can provide a definitive answer.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just want to use my Apple TV, frustrating that Apple TV and Dolby Vision have so many issues across different devices.

You C9 owners with Apple 4K TVs, have you all noticed these elevated blacks when watching Dolby Vision?

Don't worry, the ATV4K works great with the C9, except for Netflix, ATV still doesn't support 24fps, results in slight stuttering. But you can just use the C9 Netflix app, runs perfect.

Elevated blacks or not pure black bars are content-related, i think the Apple TV+ Series "Servant" has no pure black bars, but that's normal.

For example, here on this show on Netflix no issues:

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have some info on TCL 55" 4K model for 2020?
Never heard about them before seeing some FOMO videos honestly, I was surprised that they even sells in Italy since with Vizio for example is a no go.

It's sad since the only good option for gamers are the LG OLED, but after 6 years of Plasma I would like some peace of mind with a great LCD TV.

Thank you!!!
Just be aware that European TCL models aren't the same as the ones people from the US talk about here. Even when they have similar model numbers. Do your research before you buy

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Just be aware that European TCL models aren't the same as the ones people from the US talk about here. Even when they have similar model numbers. Do your research before you buy
Yeah, I just read that the C715 and 815 doesn't even have local dimming... I guess that the ultimate kick ass 4K LCD TV dream is dead... my only options is LG OLED :'(

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a thread or forum link for tips on making your OLED PC work/browsing friendly? I would just like to minimize burn-in by auto hiding as much as possible. For instance, how can I get rid of the top banner on Resetera?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Right. Even if they sold their TVs for the exact same amount of money Vizio would be taking a hit on their margins.

Yep and they'd have to really drive some value, bc it's clear, so far at least, no one can outrun them in performance. That's actually been the most surprising part to me.

When Sony announced the A8, I figured for sure it would be more money than the LG, but Sony would leverage better processing tech they've always had and throw some other special sauce in there that would open up a market for "ultra premium" OLEDs or whatever. But so far, setting aside the sound stuff, Sony's are literally just more money for the same, or depending on use case, less performance.

Would be cool if Vizio shook that up but it's really hard to see how it would be economically feasible.

I actually didn't pay quite as much attention to CES this year, but I did see some Chinese factories coming online for OLED panels? Not sure if that's true, but if so, that could be the thing that reshuffles the deck a bit.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I think for gaming is the reason. For movie quality probably not a massive upgrade.
C6 here.
I want my 120Hz! ;)

Just trying to make myself and Dave_6 feel better ;_;

I know for sure gaming, and especially HDR gaming, is a large upgrade. The dim HDR Game crap is part of the reason I play my consoles on my PC monitor, the PG27UQ. HDR1000 display and it shows. Would love to get back to OLED level gaming with nice HDR, low input lag, and all of the other QOL features that have been introduced the past few years. Just hard for me to make the jump when, in general, everything looks excellent, and I have my rig where I can enjoy 4k/144hz/HDR/Gsync.

First world problems.

Last edited:

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
What TV do you have? Do you have a 24hz setting turned on for it too?
LG C7 and yes, Real Cinema option is on.

I think 23.976hz is the standard. But Netflix outputs a true 24hz signal for many series/movies, for example "The Irishman".

Btw: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-n...2-apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-24-000-video.html

If you are sensitive to stutter, you will see it.
Are there even any streaming devices like the Nvidia Shield etc. that support true 24hz?

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
LG C7 and yes, Real Cinema option is on.
Are there even any streaming devices like the Nvidia Shield etc. that support true 24hz?

I use TruMotion at 4, i can't stand the judder, maye thats why you don't notice it with real cinema.

I had the NV Shield 2019 Pro and the stutter was insane while connected to my C9, esp. Twitch, Amazon Prime and even Netflix. I tried every setting on the Shield.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yep and they'd have to really drive some value, bc it's clear, so far at least, no one can outrun them in performance. That's actually been the most surprising part to me.

When Sony announced the A8, I figured for sure it would be more money than the LG, but Sony would leverage better processing tech they've always had and throw some other special sauce in there that would open up a market for "ultra premium" OLEDs or whatever. But so far, setting aside the sound stuff, Sony's are literally just more money for the same, or depending on use case, less performance.

Would be cool if Vizio shook that up but it's really hard to see how it would be economically feasible.

I actually didn't pay quite as much attention to CES this year, but I did see some Chinese factories coming online for OLED panels? Not sure if that's true, but if so, that could be the thing that reshuffles the deck a bit.
Yeah I agree. I'm still waiting for big things from Sony as I feel like they've been more impressive in the mid-high range (x950) than the high end (A9F, etc).

I'd also like to know what's next for them as Samsung and LG have made their priorities pretty clear but Sony really hasn't

Mar 11, 2019
Opinions on the Samsung 75Q70R as a mid range TV in EU (many models discussed in here are not available in EU)?

Prices seem to have lowered, it reviewed good on rtings, there are minor issues apparantly such as ghosting when VRR is on. But thats not really a dealbraker since I think it can be turned off, and most other TVs in this price range dont have this feature.

I dont think waiting for the new TVs will give a much better value, as most often the prices of the new models in the first few months are often overpriced. And OLED due to our TV habits is a big no, because increased chances of burn in.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I use TruMotion at 4, i can't stand the judder, maye thats why you don't notice it with real cinema.

I had the NV Shield 2019 Pro and the stutter was insane while connected to my C9, esp. Twitch, Amazon Prime and even Netflix. I tried every setting on the Shield.
No I definitely notice it, like I said earlier The Witcher skips a frame every few seconds on my Apple TV regardless of settings but not on the app of my TV. From a quick google search it seems like only blu-ray players support it?

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
If these specs are right Samsung are now trying to sell their mid line as upper top line for 2020.

They already did this in 2019 with the comically overpriced and horribly downgraded (over the 2018) Q60, which is functionally a marketing rebadge of their budget 7000/6000 lines from prior years. Anecdotally based on all the people asking for buying advice on it, they likely sold like hotcakes, so it's not surprising to see the strategy expanded to the whole lineup.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Vizio is known for being the best economic choice, not necessarily for being the best TV, so I'm interested to see how the pricing effects all models

I feel like LG will use the BX to be somewhat competitive with Vizio on pricing. I doubt they will just completely relinquish the bottom end if they're significantly cheaper.

Personally hoping it brings down the other models a bit, too, but I'm more skeptical on that. I guess we'll see.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
How much worse is the 55" Q90R? I've read only this on Rtings:

Note: There is a 55" variant of the Q90R available only in Europe that is advertised as having a weaker local dimming feature, but we have not tested it and can't give further details.

Anything more specific? Thanks.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Opinions on the Samsung 75Q70R as a mid range TV in EU (many models discussed in here are not available in EU)?

Prices seem to have lowered, it reviewed good on rtings, there are minor issues apparantly such as ghosting when VRR is on. But thats not really a dealbraker since I think it can be turned off, and most other TVs in this price range dont have this feature.

I dont think waiting for the new TVs will give a much better value, as most often the prices of the new models in the first few months are often overpriced. And OLED due to our TV habits is a big no, because increased chances of burn in.
I have no opinion other than to say from the little I've read Eu model numbers aren't the same as USA so the rtings review may not be accurate to the70r in Eu.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a thread or forum link for tips on making your OLED PC work/browsing friendly? I would just like to minimize burn-in by auto hiding as much as possible. For instance, how can I get rid of the top banner on Resetera?

There is a free tool for Windows called OnTopReplica that is very powerful for stuff like this.

It lets you crop the contents of application windows or change the opacity of certain regions of the window. I use it sometimes to watch Twitch channels that have static frame graphics on my TV.

For web browsers specifically, there are some other alternatives that may be easier. You can use ad blockers to block individual images in headers or sidebars of sites. There are also extensions that you can use to toggle grayscale for sites.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
How much worse is the 55" Q90R? I've read only this on Rtings:

Note: There is a 55" variant of the Q90R available only in Europe that is advertised as having a weaker local dimming feature, but we have not tested it and can't give further details.

Anything more specific? Thanks.

It has fewer dimming zones than the bigger ones, around 300 if I recall in total. Slightly less than the 55 Q90FN

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Use the dark theme for Windows
Dark themes on websites , keep the OLED light as low as you can handle.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So would you suggest to pick up the Q90FN instead of Q90R for someone interestead in a 55"?
I've read that Q90FN has a much higher contrast too.

Thank you!

the Q90r has the wide angle viewing filter which works super well.
The contrast for the Q9FN will drop as soon as you are even a few degrees off axis, so review measurements won't tell you everything. They are both great sets and I would have might bought the Q90R instead of the Q9FN had there had not been a £1000 price difference

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you.

But then I just watched my UHD disc of Far From Home, and was reminded how good my B6 looks. Can the C9/CX really be that much better?! :)

Well in my case, I gave in and updated my B6 a few weeks ago and the black levels aren't what they used to be. I didn't think it was that bad at first but yeah, huge mistake. :/ I tried to revert it but couldn't ever get it to work.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been confirmation that BOTH the new Sony 900H and 950H will have full HDMI 2.1 support?

After the trainwreck Samsung is doing for 2020, it looks like it's going to be between Vizio, LG and possibly Sony for my new TV purchase for next gen.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So are there any new tvs worth purchasing now or is everyone waiting for hdmi 2.1 tvs to become available
The only HDMI 2.1 sets that are out are the LG 2019 sets. For 2020 it will mostly also be LG as Sony has fumbled and Samsung only has it on some of the 8K sets. Not sure about some of the other brands. But right now looking at the specs of the 2020 LG OLED's there is not that much of a big difference to justify the launch prices of 2020 LG OLED's.

As of today, you can get a 65" C9 at Best Buy for $2099.99. There is also a coupon that starts tomorrow and is good till 2/20/2020 for a $100.00 Gift Card if you buy a LG OLED with a Sound Bar or just the TV itself you get a $50.00 Gift Card. It is a great price alone at $2099.99. I bought mine 2 weeks ago or so and got a price match last week to get the $2099.99 price and tomorrow I will head down to get my $50.00 Gift Card.