• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Kschreck If I remember right THX recommends a 40 degree viewing angle. Easy way to remember optimal viewing distance is by moving the decimal place. So 55 inch tv it's recommended 5.5 feet away. 77 inch tv 7.7 ft away.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm waiting to see if TCL's will. How is Vizio's UI? It's kinda hard to go back from integrated Roku. Just works so smoothly.

Vizio has a clunky and dumpy UI for smart functions. It does have both Chromecast and AirPlay, and is mobile-friendly in general.

But I wouldn't like using a Vizio if I weren't using an Apple TV or Shield TV.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Vizio has a clunky and dumpy UI for smart functions. It does have both Chromecast and AirPlay, and is mobile-friendly in general.

But I wouldn't like using a Vizio if I weren't using an Apple TV or Shield TV.
Yeah I can't mess with that. Smoothest I've seen or used is these TCls and LG oleds. I have an older LG that seems to be the early version of what new TVs have and it controls like ass. Clunky, slow as hell, and the pointer was so imprecise. Seems light years ahead of that now, thankfully.

TCL said the current 6 series is getting firmware update this year for hdmi 2.1 and VRR in their keynote.
Interesting.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
They said select sizes were getting the update, but didn't specify the sizes. I'd expect the 65 inch to qualify, but I'm not sure we know for absolute certain yet.
Yeah I'd bet anything the 55 and 65 6series get updated they are the best sellers.

I'm in a holding pattern myself want all the newer features before I buy a new tv to replace my 2017 TCL P605 I have to have VRR I have it on pc and any game I play on tv now I can see the frame rate changes it freaks my eyes out.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
From CES. https://youtu.be/LZJmqOTEw9Y?t=172

TCL 2020 5 series will be like the older 6 series. That is, it has QLED and FALD, zone count unknown. If the price is same as last years, we are looking at a very very affordable TV that can do pretty decent HDR finally. Like $300-$400 affordable. That's great, real HDR for the masses.

The 6 series will have miniLED, again he doesnt mention zone count but if its miniLED it should be in hundreds at least and much more precise than previous years. It does have VRR and he hints at 120Hz.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Legit been impressed with some of LTT's output during CES. James and Riley doing some work. This is about how Samsung is using poor contrast modularisation in their 2019 8k TVs, which is a total reverse from when Samsung was taking shots at LG's contrast modulation. And have now fixed it for 2020

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Legit been impressed with some of LTT's output during CES. James and Riley doing some work. This is about how Samsung is using poor contrast modularisation in their 2019 8k TVs, which is a total reverse from when Samsung was taking shots at LG's contrast modulation. And have now fixed it for 2020

they've been great this CES

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is not correct. They didn't say the firmware update is going to update it to HDMI 2.1. They said the update would enable eARC and VRR in select sets. You can't firmware update them to have HDMI 2.1.

apparently they said the same thing about VRr and the 2018 sets last year. I don't think it happened

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
(preface: this is all personal opinions and not facts so its ok to disagree with me)

Q90 and Q900 have the wide angle filter so they have lower contrast ratio than a Q9FN and owners of that TV that switched to a C9 have different opinions than this.

You can't overcome blooming no matter how many dimming zones you add, its just always going to be there and once you see it once you will never be able to not see it again. This is especially bad if you watch content with black bars and subtitles.

At some point the cost of manufacturing that LCD with that many dimming zones becomes similar to making or buying and selling your own OLED.

Which is essentially why Samsung is going to start selling OLEDs in 2021 or 2022 depending on how well their factory conversions go and how well their QD-OLED production processes pan out.
Eh the contrast ratio is still quite good. I think it's hard to notice a difference. I also disagree on blooming. There are still 'torture test' scenes that will reveal blooming, but it's more about whether you artificially brighten the image to avoid blooming, or conversely crush shadow detail. The improvement in FALD over the past ~5 years speaks for itself imo.

In terms of cost, I'd point out all the Chinese manufacturers that are moving into the LED market with "mini LED" models. The difference with OLED, is that they own the manufacturing process. You actually save costs that way, vs buying panels from LG Display, which essentially owns a monopoly on OLED right now.

I do agree that Quantum Dot OLED might be the holy grail (It depends on how bright they can get it). But by the time that tech gets put into place, micro LED might be ready for the market. Or mini LED backlights might be so refined that the difference is imperceptible. I believe HDR blu ray is still mastered for 4,000 nits, and Sony demo'd a Crystal LED (ie micro LED) tv that went up to 10,000.

It's kind of hard to predict which technology will take hold as the standard bearer for high end image fidelity once LG OLEDs reach their end point.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
From CES. https://youtu.be/LZJmqOTEw9Y?t=172

TCL 2020 5 series will be like the older 6 series. That is, it has QLED and FALD, zone count unknown. If the price is same as last years, we are looking at a very very affordable TV that can do pretty decent HDR finally. Like $300-$400 affordable. That's great, real HDR for the masses.

The 6 series will have miniLED, again he doesnt mention zone count but if its miniLED it should be in hundreds at least and much more precise than previous years. It does have VRR and he hints at 120Hz.
I hope we still get relatively small 5 series screens (43", particularly) as I'll probably get one for my office. Sorry if it's mentioned in the video, I can't watch right now.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone from a 65" 900f (great motion and local dimming, just not enough dimming zones so blooming is too much for me) to a 65" 2019 PQX currently that I'm in the middle of returning (love the HDR peak brightness and more zones but the local dimming speed is a fraction too slow and the color banding sticks out once you see it).

I have the option for a 65" C9 for $1899 final price (includes tax) which is a good deal here in California.That's equal to like around $1700 here before tax.

I just have a few reservations cause burn in, and FOMO in the event next years CX is way better lol (I wouldn't be able to afford the MSRP when it launches anyway tho). C9 already has HDMI 2.1 so I think I'll be happy.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Eh the contrast ratio is still quite good. I think it's hard to notice a difference. I also disagree on blooming. There are still 'torture test' scenes that will reveal blooming, but it's more about whether you artificially brighten the image to avoid blooming, or conversely crush shadow detail. The improvement in FALD over the past ~5 years speaks for itself imo.

In terms of cost, I'd point out all the Chinese manufacturers that are moving into the LED market with "mini LED" models. The difference with OLED, is that they own the manufacturing process. You actually save costs that way, vs buying panels from LG Display, which essentially owns a monopoly on OLED right now.

I do agree that Quantum Dot OLED might be the holy grail (It depends on how bright they can get it). But by the time that tech gets put into place, micro LED might be ready for the market. Or mini LED backlights might be so refined that the difference is imperceptible. I believe HDR blu ray is still mastered for 4,000 nits, and Sony demo'd a Crystal LED (ie micro LED) tv that went up to 10,000.

It's kind of hard to predict which technology will take hold as the standard bearer for high end image fidelity once LG OLEDs reach their end point.

Price. Price determines which tech wins with consumers. OLED will continue to get cheaper, meanwhile LED sets will continue to go up in cost for some time by adding more LED's, making the sets more complex (mini LED). Over time they will get cheaper, but by then who knows where OLED prices will be. I don't see micro LED really being a consumer grade tech anytime soon. I think we are approaching a point now where tv PQ improvements will stagnate again, like near the end of plasmas run. LCD and plasma had a solid period of minimal PQ gains, and LCD was the tech that most consumers adopted, and it wasn't due to PQ. On the flip side I feel we are approaching that point where OLED could take LCD's spot as the more popular consumer tv tech (new sales) with it dropping in price. I think that 48" LG panel will make that all the more clear, LG has determined it's time for OLED to go down market even further, which is LCD's bread and butter atm.

I've gone from a 65" 900f (great motion and local dimming, just not enough dimming zones so blooming is too much for me) to a 65" 2019 PQX currently that I'm in the middle of returning (love the HDR peak brightness and more zones but the local dimming speed is a fraction too slow and the color banding sticks out once you see it).

I have the option for a 65" C9 for $1899 final price (includes tax) which is a good deal here in California.That's equal to like around $1700 here before tax.

I just have a few reservations cause burn in, and FOMO in the event next years CX is way better lol (I wouldn't be able to afford the MSRP when it launches anyway tho). C9 already has HDMI 2.1 so I think I'll be happy.

I had similar issues with all LCD's, coming from plasmas. If you're worried about burn in, but can't live with LCD short comings, buy the OLED from Best Buy and get the extended warranty. If anything for the peace of mind.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017

You're not missing much if anything at all. Get the C9 at the best price you feel comfortable with. It's year ahead of its time, and nothing shown at CES convinced me the CX has any advantage.

Catspit

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about making myself a little gaming area in a section of a room. Would a person be better off with a 32-43" TV vs a 27" gaming monitor? Only gaming w/ ps4pro and eventually PS5. I was reading that HDR is very expensive to get in a monitor and not done well. My wife is getting sick of me always using the main 60" tv w/ my gaming :D

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but is upgrading from a 65" b7 to 65" c9 or b9 worth it? Bestbuy has a decent price on these right now and I'm looking for some input. I'm mostly in it for Gsync and HDMI 2.1.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but is upgrading from a 65" b7 to 65" c9 or b9 worth it? Bestbuy has a decent price on these right now and I'm looking for some input. I'm mostly in it for Gsync and HDMI 2.1.

for games it should be noticeable brighter and more accurate thanks to the HGIG mode, then you'll have access to HDMi 2.1 and 40-120hz VRR/GSYNC too

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well I was thinking also about the updated Game Mode on the 7 series which got way more dim unless you use Active HDR (so if you don't like DTM you're SOL) unlike 8 and 9 series which are way brigther even without DTM.

Meanwhile the rest of HDR modes of the 7 series have better brightness and the OLED panels themselves haven't evolved much these latter years, so for TV and movies the difference should not be that big.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sony might be skipping e3 so it could be July or August before they reveal the ps5 and potentially new TV's.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does the picture quality and performance of the top of the line LG Nanocell TVs (SM 9000 and 9500) stack up with a Samsung Q70? I want to go for a bedroom tv with blackout curtains.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Well I was thinking also about the updated Game Mode on the 7 series which got way more dim unless you use Active HDR (so if you don't like DTM you're SOL) unlike 8 and 9 series which are way brigther even without DTM.

Meanwhile the rest of HDR modes of the 7 series have better brightness and the OLED panels themselves haven't evolved much these latter years, so for TV and movies the difference should not be that big.

I'm not sure why they haven't/couldn't update the 7 series so they targeted Maxcll and not Maxfall, like the 8 and 9's, not like the 7's couldn't hit around the same nit range.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why they haven't/couldn't update the 7 series so they targeted Maxcll and not Maxfall, like the 8 and 9's, not like the 7's couldn't hit around the same nit range.

Gotta sell the new TVs. LG is weird like that, I mean the panels themselves don't change much, other than the red-sub pixel increase and a little more nits the technology seems stagnant, and even their chips aren't seeing huge increments with newer versions, so they probably (IMO, of course) hold on stuff like the new tone map curve in Game Mode for C8, HGIG for C9, Filmmaker mode for CX ... stuff that could be patched but they won't just to make the new TVs more desirable because they have exclusive features.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta sell the new TVs. LG is weird like that, I mean the panels themselves don't change much, other than the red-sub pixel increase and a little more nits the technology seems stagnant, and even their chips aren't seeing huge increments with newer versions, so they probably (IMO, of course) hold on stuff like the new tone map curve in Game Mode for C8, HGIG for C9, Filmmaker mode for CX ... stuff that could be patched but they won't just to make the new TVs more desirable because they have exclusive features.

Yeah, I mean obviously it comes down to selling TVs, but on the other hand they shouldn't spout all this fluff about "being the superior way to tone map" when it's so obvious that's total bullshit! Even the 6 does a much better job :0

They can keep filmmaker mode though, might be good for people that have no idea, but for most of us, every type of content is accurately catered for with just a preset switch.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017

Seems like LG doesn't support their older products very well. I'm waiting for WebOS on my B7 to start running poorly and apps not being supported any longer lol.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like LG doesn't support their older products very well. I'm waiting for WebOS on my B7 to start running poorly and apps not being supported any longer lol.

WebOS is real lightweight, I doubt they'll add anything it make it run bad. It basically only supports HTML5 apps, which is why it's so limiting.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Lmao. Feel bad for anyone buying a 2019 Samsung 8K set.