• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't understand how the Samsung just stays black in that video. Is this caused by the settings? I always thought images like that would just have a grey instead of a black background.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
You can get close enough in my opinion. Seeing them in show rooms they're already close and OLED has near black shimmering issues.

As in a brightly lit showroom? Because haloing is exaggerated in a dim/dark room. FALD can get really good "blacks", but the minute anything bright that's surrounded by black hits the screen, it's obvious that it's nowhere near OLED levels.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand how the Samsung just stays black in that video. Is this caused by the settings? I always thought images like that would just have a grey instead of a black background.

FALD. 480 zones of on/off LED backlights.

Samsung's algorithm tries to reduce high contrast blooming at whatever chance it gets, so when individual highlights in motion travel across the screen, the Samsung keeps the backlight so low that they essentially disappear.

I'll take 8 million zones over 480 zones any day of the week.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
FALD. 480 zones of on/off LED backlights.

Samsung's algorithm tries to reduce high contrast blooming at whatever chance it gets, so when individual highlights in motion travel across the screen, the Samsung keeps the backlight so low that they essentially disappear.

I'll take 8 million zones over 480 zones any day of the week.
So you'll loose detail all the time in scenes like that? That's pretty crazy. I really thought the image would then look more like my old LCD with edge backlight

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
So you'll loose detail all the time in scenes like that? That's pretty crazy. I really thought the image would then look more like my old LCD with edge backlight

Then it would look gray, and Samsung wouldn't allow that.

I will never purchase a TV that isn't self emitting or uses a blue OLED backlight like the new QD-OLED design.

When you can display true black directly next to pure white with zero issues the perceived contrast is much greater.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Are there any current TV's that support HDMI 2.1 or the specs that PS5 will support? I'm generally naive when it comes to TV specs. I have an 2017 hisense tv. So I could use an upgrade to a $600-1000 tv. I've look at rtings.com but they don't show which tv suports the new specs?

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
It was from videogames. The big offender was Rocket League, though Stardew Valley also caused issues.

With Rocket League, it was from the following elements:

799999-rocket-league-playstation-4-screenshot-first-goal-in-overtime.jpg

The words "BALL CAM" at the lower left, the speedometer in the lower right, and the scoreboard (specifically the orange square where the "1" is in the picture above) at the top middle. The biggest offender was the speedometer -- any time I viewed any content that was yellow, orange, red, purple (in that color spectrum), I could see it. I think Rocket League gave the most problems of any games I played because

A) So much of the damn UI is bright orange, which seems to be the offending burn in color (along with red and yellow) and
B) I played it in HDR at 100 OLED light on average of 1 hour a day.

The other offender was Stardew Valley, though to a much smaller degree:

StardewValley_1-768x432.jpg

I could make out the boxes along the lower middle of the screen, along with the top right menu UI. These elements stay static for a good amount of gameplay, and I my partner would play around 2 hour sessions, though only a couple times a week. Oddly enough the "energy" meter at the lower right didn't burn in at all.

I came from a plasma TV (Pioneer Kuro) background and was always very careful with burn-in, so I was pretty surprised I suffered burn in (or, more specifically, burn out) in 1 year on my OLED.

Now that I have a C9, I'm not going to play Rocket League (or anything) in HDR if it has static content of a certain color, which really sucks.

Oddly enough, the game I play the most on my system is NHL 20:

8o5gcvou4lze.jpg

Which has that scoreboard on the bottom stuck on the screen for 90% of the time playing, and it's caused exactly 0 issues. Which again leads me to believe it's the color of the static HUD (along with brightness) that really affects potential issues.

Man. I'm sorry to hear this. This post is making me lean even more towards waiting to get a 77" OLED to replace my 65" X900 (a very solid TV). I play many sports games and Rocket League has been one of my go-to games for years. I play at least 5 hours of Rocket League per week. My place gets very bright (loft with windows) so I would have to set the OLED up for that too.

Spending $2,500+ on a new TV just to go through that would annoy me simply due to the amount of time it would take me to set up &/or replace devices in my A/V setup.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the C9 is so much better than the 6 series that it almost makes me want to upgrade and not go bigger. Usually when I buy a new TV I want a bigger size but in this case the display is so much better that I may just get another 65" and save a chunk of money.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any current TV's that support HDMI 2.1 or the specs that PS5 will support? I'm generally naive when it comes to TV specs. I have an 2017 hisense tv. So I could use an upgrade to a $600-1000 tv. I've look at rtings.com but they don't show which tv suports the new specs?

The B9/C9 LG Oleds have HDMI 2.1. I think that's it for 2019 TVs. Maybe there are some LG LCDs? LG manufactured their own HDMI silicon last year. It's why they were able to come to market a year earlier than anyone else.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
It was from videogames. The big offender was Rocket League, though Stardew Valley also caused issues.

With Rocket League, it was from the following elements:

799999-rocket-league-playstation-4-screenshot-first-goal-in-overtime.jpg

The words "BALL CAM" at the lower left, the speedometer in the lower right, and the scoreboard (specifically the orange square where the "1" is in the picture above) at the top middle. The biggest offender was the speedometer -- any time I viewed any content that was yellow, orange, red, purple (in that color spectrum), I could see it. I think Rocket League gave the most problems of any games I played because

A) So much of the damn UI is bright orange, which seems to be the offending burn in color (along with red and yellow) and
B) I played it in HDR at 100 OLED light on average of 1 hour a day.

The other offender was Stardew Valley, though to a much smaller degree:

StardewValley_1-768x432.jpg

I could make out the boxes along the lower middle of the screen, along with the top right menu UI. These elements stay static for a good amount of gameplay, and I my partner would play around 2 hour sessions, though only a couple times a week. Oddly enough the "energy" meter at the lower right didn't burn in at all.

I came from a plasma TV (Pioneer Kuro) background and was always very careful with burn-in, so I was pretty surprised I suffered burn in (or, more specifically, burn out) in 1 year on my OLED.

Now that I have a C9, I'm not going to play Rocket League (or anything) in HDR if it has static content of a certain color, which really sucks.

Oddly enough, the game I play the most on my system is NHL 20:

8o5gcvou4lze.jpg

Which has that scoreboard on the bottom stuck on the screen for 90% of the time playing, and it's caused exactly 0 issues. Which again leads me to believe it's the color of the static HUD (along with brightness) that really affects potential issues.

Do you have pics of the burn in?

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
For C9 owners:

When watching HDR content in a dark room (NOT Dolby Vision on Netflix) do you adjust any settings?

It seems none of the big review sites provide any info on this. It feels HDR Cinema Home is too bright and HDR Cinema User is a little to dim and yellow (?)

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
For C9 owners:

When watching HDR content in a dark room (NOT Dolby Vision on Netflix) do you adjust any settings?

It seems none of the big review sites provide any info on this. It feels HDR Cinema Home is too bright and HDR Cinema User is a little to dim and yellow (?)

I think they recommend just leaving it as is. I think my B9 is already bright enough in a dark room, can't imagine the C9.

Leave it on Cinema Home and adjust the OLED light maybe

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
For C9 owners:

Cinema is your best option. Cinema Home is the Bright Room setting for HDR.

Try this. Go into Expert Settings, White Balance, 2pt control. Adjust High level, not Low and set Green control to -16.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So the C9 went back on discount again and I'm really tempted to get it this time after not pulling the trigger during the holidays. I just wish I could price match it at Best Buy to get the warrenty as well, but I'm concerned they won't take it since the model number is slightly different (I don't even think the actual TV is different outside of that..). Still might try the local store to see if I have any luck, but I don't really have any hope.. Hopefully the same discounts show up at BB sooner or later before they're out of stock.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
As in a brightly lit showroom? Because haloing is exaggerated in a dim/dark room. FALD can get really good "blacks", but the minute anything bright that's surrounded by black hits the screen, it's obvious that it's nowhere near OLED levels.
No, darkly lit. Both the Q90 and Q900 have excellent local dimming. Hard to distinguish from OLEDs.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
LG fixed the near black chroma issue back in March.

You can look at a variety of TVs in a showroom in torch mode and they will look pretty similar. View them side by side and you'll see the difference at home:

I viewed them side by side, and the content on OLEDs tends to look more naturalistic, vs the QLEDs (which have stock footage emphasizing bright colors). But you can also tell the difference in overall light output, especially when comparing the bigger screen sizes.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just don't get the price premium that Samsung ($750+) puts on their QLED over the C9. I see it all the time here in Canada when looking at the 65" ones.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
For anyone who, like me, has to toggle between Windows screen resolutions and wants to do so more quickly, I wrote up a tutorial on how I use AutoHotKey to do so with a keyboard shortcut.
Nooooo way! I drilled a whole through the wall between living room and office room to more easily connect my PC to the TV and thought about how annoying it is to switch between 1080p120 and 4k60. Thank you! Gonna try in the coming week.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still totally underwhelmed and confused on what to buy later this year.

CES hasnt helped lol

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

wanted a future proof set with 2.1 and vrr

still haven't upgraded to 4K yet

stuck with LG for oled because who knows why Sony doesn't put it in their tv when their new systems come out

and I fucking hate lg as a company. I know they make all the oled panels but when I owned an lcd from them it was an awful experience getting a repair and return

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
wanted a future proof set with 2.1 and vrr

still haven't upgraded to 4K yet

stuck with LG for oled because who knows why Sony doesn't put it in their tv when their new systems come out

and I fucking hate lg as a company. I know they make all the oled panels but when I owned an lcd from them it was an awful experience getting a repair and return

I'd just say never to expect future proofing with TVs.

And the C9 is an incredible set that gets rave reviews from critical sites and the folks in here. LG has come a loooooong way in the last 3-4 years and OLEDs are their darlings

(Note that I have a C8 not a C9 but I am also very happy with it — best tv I've ever owned)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'd just say never to expect future proofing with TVs.

And the C9 is an incredible set that gets rave reviews from critical sites and the folks in here. LG has come a loooooong way in the last 3-4 years and OLEDs are their darlings

(Note that I have a C8 not a C9 but I am also very happy with it — best tv I've ever owned)
I was personally hoping for something coming along in the mid-tier range this year with VRR and HDMI 2.1. I don't think I'm gonna get it.

GuyFive

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a site that people recommend for tracking TV sales? Just been refreshing slick deals. Keeping an eye open before Super Bowl sales for a new TV.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
Wow I didn't even know that. Price premium is still steep though, with inferior image processing.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Feed a B series a quality source and there is no difference in image quality.

Take a QLED and you have an exaggerated EOTF, hopefully getting fixed, and due to how Samsung does the quantum dots, makes it impossible to calibrate as accurate as a WRGB OLED.

I wish Panasonic would come back to the US.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Star fields look great on my 75" Samsung Q90R. Is that something that an OLED does better? Sure. But LCDs do some things better as well (they get much brighter, they get larger for cheaper - 75" and 82" screens aren't that bad, they have higher color volume in bright areas because they don't have to rely on a white pixel for brightness, and Samsung's anti reflective tech is second to none).

That video was just an ad for LG. It focused on one aspect of the TVs. Lame.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
Star fields look great on my 75" Samsung Q90R. Is that something that an OLED does better? Sure. But LCDs do some things better as well (they get much brighter, they get larger for cheaper - 75" and 82" screens aren't that bad, they have higher color volume in bright areas because they don't have to rely on a white pixel for brightness, and Samsung's anti reflective tech is second to none).

That video was just an ad for LG. It focused on one aspect of the TVs. Lame.

Pretty spot on summary. Still not my cup of tea, but there's a place for both technologies.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

That's all a bit exagerrated. I actually experimented a little bit with my Q9FN as I was developing some new measurement techniques and the set was still hitting close to 1000nits on very small pixel cluster (I was using nighttime city flyover in John Wick.)

at some point we might do a video about it , as we we're actually suprised.
If you are doing pure black on pure white then yes, the OLED will appears brighter (even if it is physically not)
A starfield is somewhat of a showoff situation for an OLED.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Samsung adjusts the HDR curb on its 2020 4k QLEDs and further develops its local dimming algorithm, I think it will be the tv to get over LG OLED hands down.
You can get close enough in my opinion. Seeing them in show rooms they're already close and OLED has near black shimmering issues.
No, darkly lit. Both the Q90 and Q900 have excellent local dimming. Hard to distinguish from OLEDs.

(preface: this is all personal opinions and not facts so its ok to disagree with me)

Q90 and Q900 have the wide angle filter so they have lower contrast ratio than a Q9FN and owners of that TV that switched to a C9 have different opinions than this.

You can't overcome blooming no matter how many dimming zones you add, its just always going to be there and once you see it once you will never be able to not see it again. This is especially bad if you watch content with black bars and subtitles.

At some point the cost of manufacturing that LCD with that many dimming zones becomes similar to making or buying and selling your own OLED.

Which is essentially why Samsung is going to start selling OLEDs in 2021 or 2022 depending on how well their factory conversions go and how well their QD-OLED production processes pan out.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Nooooo way! I drilled a whole through the wall between living room and office room to more easily connect my PC to the TV and thought about how annoying it is to switch between 1080p120 and 4k60. Thank you! Gonna try in the coming week.
Let me know how it goes - I was muddling through it, so I'm curious if it actually works with other setups.