• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The LG stand is generally crappy IMO. It's mostly an oversized, badly designed cable organizer in the back. If you need more space a wall mount or monitor arm is in order. I really hope they redesign the stand and move the inputs to a separate box ala Samsung.

The common theme in the user with Rocket League / Stardew Valley burn in was that both games have plenty of red and yellow in the sections that burned in. I guess that's why after some year they made the red subpixel bigger on LG OLEDs.
Right, but did you read my post? Im saying I play games with yellow and red static elements too. That's why I'm convinced there's panel variance at play.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Was thinking out loud. When people buy the gallery GX models, how will they hide all their HDMI, power, etc cables when they run them back out into a receiver, power supply?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Was thinking out loud. When people buy the gallery GX models, how will they hide all their HDMI, power, etc cables when they run them back out into a receiver, power supply?
Same as what other people do with wall-mounted TVs.

Either just group them together and run them down and cover them with a wall colored plate, or run them through the wall for a cleaner look.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wish the 48 inch didn't have the big old box in the back so you could put it flat against the wall.
078889_48cx-back.jpg
I personally would prefer a TV that's thicker! That thing is way too thin and fragile. Hated mounting it to the wall.

Make it a little thicker so you can lift and hold it everywhere without breaking, and do the external box thing just like Samsung. That would be fantastic.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't like how thin the 65" C9 is at the top even. It's not impressive to me how thin you can go and it's not going to make it better for wall mounting if there's a thick part anyway.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Right, but did you read my post? Im saying I play games with yellow and red static elements too. That's why I'm convinced there's panel variance at play.

I also think panel variance could be a factor, but mostly as a tale from my ass, I don't know for sure how it works lol But considering there's panel variance for almost everything: near black levels, white levels, nits...

I also wonder if how HDR modes are implemented can be a cause too, this will need an EvilBoris signal because I also don't know it but considering how brigthness can be selective even though the OLED Light must be at 100, I wonder how many HDR modes care about adjusting the brightness value of the HUD or they just ignore that.

I personally would prefer a TV that's thicker! That thing is way too thin and fragile. Hated mounting it to the wall.

Make it a little thicker so you can lift and hold it everywhere without breaking, and do the external box thing just like Samsung. That would be fantastic.

Yeah, I don't like how thin the 65" C9 is at the top even. It's not impressive to me how thin you can go and it's not going to make it better for wall mounting if there's a thick part anyway.

dozensofus.gif

I hated how thin it was too, and I didnt' even wall mounted. Everyone that see my C8 says how cool it is that it's so thin, of course.. they didn't have to handle it!

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have mine mounted on a wall that is very dark charcoal grey, in a room that can get pure black. It looks like it's floating and during (accurately done) space scenes, it feels almost surreal
Hell yeah. I have white walls but still. I find myself shutting of the lights completely all the time now watching TV or playing games. It's amazing. Never did this with my old LED

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the market for a new pc monitor. In case this info helps anyone else, I thought I'd describe my search so far. I'm currently running a 1920x1200 24 inch 60hz IPS no-frills Dell from several years ago. My other setup is an 1080p 120hz VA Eizo Foris FG2421, which is not made anymore, and has spoiled me on other pc monitors.

I'm essentially looking for a flat 4K display with a minimum of 120hz and excellent image quality. I browsed through some aisles of the so-called best gaming monitors at a local computer store before Christmas and they all looked dim and washed out, with terrible off-axis performance compared to my Eizo. There was nothing remotely close to it in the store. I'd rather just keep my old Dell for a while longer than spend money on any of those.

Seeing LG's 48 inch oled announced at CES, I started exploring whether that could work for me. I don't think I could fit it on my desk. Wall-mounting it is an option, but wouldn't be my preference.

Other options I've found that I'm considering:
Samsung 43 inch Q60R, a QLED TV;

Asus PA32UCG, which isn't available yet, allegedly has a 120hz IPS panel and a mini-led local dimming backlight, probably will cost quite a lot, but will be a lot brighter than any of the oled options;

Sony 48 inch A9S oled, which appears to have a lot in common with LG's, but not much info is available yet;

Sony 49 inch X950H FALD LCD TV announced at CES, which also has no specs available yet.

I'm not sure if either of these Sony TVs can display a 120hz signal.

Doing this research also led to some info on JOLED's products. JOLED is Sony and Panasonic's joint oled development company. They are making RGB oleds now which is a different form of production compared to LG's white oleds. They have a 4K 21 inch oled pc monitor panel, produced in limited quantities so far, which has found its way into this striking, ergonomically-challenged monitor: Eizo Foris Nova.

I think some other monitor makers may also be using this panel too. I don't think that particular Eizo oled quite makes sense for me, but on its website, JOLED says it is developing up to 32 inch OLED panels as well for monitors. No specifics are announced, but maybe we'll see something later this year.

So these are the best choices I could find for me. I'm leaning towards waiting another 6-12 months before buying something.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I would cut a holes in the wall to run them down. Fishing them down is a pain but looks really clean once done.

PLEASE do take care to do this work to code and only run wall-rated power cables inside walls or install an actual outlet behind where the TV is going to be mounted with (ie. don't just run the cable coming from the TV down through your wall).

I have mine mounted on a wall that is very dark charcoal grey, in a room that can get pure black. It looks like it's floating and during (accurately done) space scenes, it feels almost surreal

Yeah, my wall isn't even black and when it's completely dark it's really nice. The only thing that breaks it is my center speaker reflecting light from the TV on its top. I might by some black velvet or something to see if that cuts down on that.

Of course, in HDR, when a larger bright highlight comes on (or I otherwise open the playback controls) I have to squint.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah. I have white walls but still. I find myself shutting of the lights completely all the time now watching TV or playing games. It's amazing. Never did this with my old LED

Even my kids - 5 and almost 3 - will complain if there is any light in the basement at all since it looks so cool. It's pretty sweet. Here's a pic. You can see where the TV ends by the timestamp but that's it.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PQ quality on an OLED in a completely dark room is just unbelievable.

yep it's still amazes me a year and a half later, and the panel is still clean as fuck too.

Cant wait to get the Ad Astra UHD to see those space scenes on OLED.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Agreed. I find myself often buying movies I didn't even like or had no interest in seeing in theatres because they're OLED showpieces and being blown away. (For the record I liked Ad Astra)

The Expanse has me drooling watching it on the OLED in the dark. It's crazy how I notice a glow on my old Kuro plasma now after making the switch to an OLED.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm interested to hear more about the processing differences in the Forbes article. Right now I could see going for a BX or CX or going to last year's models depending on the differences. As long as they have 2.1 and support the same standards (outside of filmmaker mode), at least.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

just saw that today for the first time
Brutal. But I guess its fair game.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Confused by Sony's line-up, and their strategy this year. So if I want an LCD with HDMI 2.1 from them, I have to go for the lower end 900H, while their higher end, more premium/expensive 950H with the better processor won't have any of those features? Why would they do that?? They don't want people's money? Makes no sense.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Confused by Sony's line-up, and their strategy this year. So if I want an LCD with HDMI 2.1 from them, I have to go for the lower end 900H, while their higher end, more premium/expensive 950H with the better processor won't have any of those features? Why would they do that?? They don't want people's money? Makes no sense.

no it really doesnt
I have not purchased 4K yet and im definitely confused by this.

Does anyone know what kind of price mini led might cost and if it has HDMI2.1?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

I'm guessing that the X1 Ultimate processor hasn't been updated to handle the increased bandwidth that comes with HDMI 2.1.

But to not handle ALLM and especially VRR? When other companies have supported these for 1 to 2 years already? That's a real issue.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Would love to buy the new Panasonic OLED but have to wait and see how far they drop the price later this year. But I doubt they will be anywhere near the new LG models (CX) price wise. Those would be my second choice.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

PSA: buy a dirt cheap VESA wall mount and use the TV bars as carrying handles - makes it much easier to handle

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

inhad this with my last TV - Sony XD930. Higher in the range than other LCDs that year but the lower models got several updates including HDR HLG that mine didn't due to the 'wrong' chipset

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like the GSync and VRR on the LG's is between 40-120fps. So what this means, if your game is below 40fps, VRR/Gsync wont do anything. The game needs to be running above 40fps to take advantage of this. I have a 2018 Samsung Q9FN that has VRR and the range is the same...I wonder what holds them back from lowering the minimum? I know a dedicated (with on-board chip) Gsync display has a much wider range...but the version in the LG's do not have the dedicated Gsync hardware so it is limited to 40fps at minimum.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm guessing that the X1 Ultimate processor hasn't been updated to handle the increased bandwidth that comes with HDMI 2.1.

But to not handle ALLM and especially VRR? When other companies have supported these for 1 to 2 years already? That's a real issue.
inhad this with my last TV - Sony XD930. Higher in the range than other LCDs that year but the lower models got several updates including HDR HLG that mine didn't due to the 'wrong' chipset
I see. That really stinks, and yeah, the processor thing doesn't excuse the lack of other features like VRR either. So bizarre when Sony themselves are putting out a major product (PS5) that will support theese features.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like the GSync and VRR on the LG's is between 40-120fps. So what this means, if your game is below 40fps, VRR/Gsync wont do anything. The game needs to be running above 40fps to take advantage of this. I have a 2018 Samsung Q9FN that has VRR and the range is the same...I wonder what holds them back from lowering the minimum? I know a dedicated (with on-board chip) Gsync display has a much wider range...but the version in the LG's do not have the dedicated Gsync hardware so it is limited to 40fps at minimum.
I've been thinking about this as well for the Vizio 2020 TV that I plan to buy. I calmed myself down. Most games at 30 fps, should be solid(hopefully), with games that target 60, hopefully not dropping below the minimum VRR range.

Yukstin

Oct 31, 2017
Nashville, TN
I hate it and the push for thinner screens in general, but can say that it is the first thing I've had people notice and complement when seeing my TV. How thin it is.

I think it's a great "selling" feature for typical consumers. The thinner the TV, the more premium right? However, once it's on the wall, I don't notice how thick or thin it is. I'm more concerned with screen area/bezel ratio. The OLEDs are mostly screen so that's more appealing. Those new Samsung TVs that are 99% screen look incredible. I would that over a thinner display.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking about this as well for the Vizio 2020 TV that I plan to buy. I calmed myself down. Most games at 30 fps, should be solid(hopefully), with games that target 60, hopefully not dropping below the minimum VRR range.
I think for the next gen it will play a much bigger role. It mainly will come around what these systems can do with Ray Tracing and how much resources they are going to need to pull it off. On PC even a top of the line Overclocked 2080ti can struggle with Ray Tracing at 4k native. In my testing, using Metro Exodus, I can hit around 45-50fps at Native 4k with all settings set to max expect Ray Tracing at High vs. Ultra (which based on a DF article there is not a huge difference between High/Ultra for the RT GI setting). So in this example, using a OC 2080ti and a I9-9900k OC to 5.2ghz I hit around 45-50fps and with a LG Gsycn set it would benefit and the feel of the game would be smooth without tearing.

On the next gen consoles, I doubt they will be able to do the same. It will come down to how the RT GI is implemented and what frame rate they can hit. Dropping resolution or using reconstruction techniques will help in getting frames up...but if a game that targets 60fps with RT GI but has drops below 40fps it is going to feel really bad.

Right now my target is a 77" LG OLED. Not sure which one though as the Galaxy series if you look at the spec sheet says it comes with a stand, but others are reporting it does not and cannot use a stand. In my Bonus Room and my entertainment set up I cannot wall mount...so I have to a set that uses a stand.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm planning on getting a new TV for (surprise) next-gen games. Sometimes TV/Movies, but vast majority of the time spent playing games.

My understanding from following the last month or so is I'd want to go with something that has 2.1hdmi for sure. I was waiting to see what came out of CES before committing to a 2020 model or 2019. Right now it seems like a 55'' C9 would be best (currently have a 40'' random 1080p I got for $200 ~10-11 years ago).

My big worry is burn in. I don't anticipate buying another TV for another 5-10 years, so really want something that will last. Is there a recommended brightness for OLED that will (as near as makes no difference) ensure no burn in over that span of time? I've had a chance to see some OLEDs in person recently and they're beautiful, however if it comes down to it maybe QLED/LCD is the way to go?