• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
Well the wife is making me get a new TV as she is going to be taking my current Samsung QLED from my man cave to the living room (which is fine with me!). I am for sure getting an OLED this time, 65" minimum, 75" max. I am leaning 65 at the moment and pretty much down to the C9 or B9, I can't wait for anything new as this will all be in the next 3 weeks after our fireplace and mantle are remodeled. I know the C9 is better but I went ahead and went to Best Buy just to physically look at them and they at least looked almost identical. $200 difference so not really an issue, although I am hoping they go on sale a little more since we will be closer to the Super Bowl in a few weeks, but is the C9 heads and tails better than the B9 or are they comparable enough to it not really mattering in the long run?

I will be using it for games obviously, PS5, Switch maybe a Series X. No PC ever. Streaming D+, Netflix, Hulu etc. and I buy a lot of 4K discs. I am going to assume most will say C9 but just wanted to get some opinions before jumping in.
Full send my guy. Drop the extra $200 and get the C9.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
It looks like there will be more, but I have to give Vizio props for putting HDMI 2.1 on *EVERY* TV this year, even their low end V-Series. That's fantastic. The only reason I didn't get one of their excellent Quantum X TVs last year is they didn't have them in a big enough size and they had no HDMI 2.1. They have cured those two issues, so right now a big Vizio Quantum X is the frontrunner in the race for which TV will pair with my new XSX. That fact Vizio has great pricing makes it even sweeter.

The Sony HTR-DH970 is a very nice eARC receiver if you are looking for something inexpensive.

See my post above about my thoughts on HDMI 2.1 on receivers. I think eARC makes it unneeded.

Yeah Vizio has a great CES this year. They are coming out with an OLED display this year and their sound bars also have HDMI 2.1 which is very good too.

Kaga

Nov 3, 2017
DeKalb, IL
Can we talk about sound bars here?

I want a soundbar/system for my living look. Any suggestions on what to get? There's aused Q90R soundbar locally for $400 but doesn't include the rear speakers. Will that impact me greatly? It's $900 less than what it sells in store but I can't seem to find those rear speakers for sale separately

If it makes a difference, my room is prewired in the 4 corners to put speakers up. Should I do that instead of a soundbar?

I have a 82" Q90R with the built in speakers.

When I got my LG B8 last year, I paired it with a Vizio SB36512-F6 instead of going the receiver route and I couldn't be happier with it.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Some people are hoping that the GX prices mirror that of the outgoing E9 series. After seeing this video, I'd say no way. Expect to pay a premium for the GX line:

Yukstin

Oct 31, 2017
Nashville, TN
Can we talk about sound bars here?

I want a soundbar/system for my living look. Any suggestions on what to get? There's aused Q90R soundbar locally for $400 but doesn't include the rear speakers. Will that impact me greatly? It's $900 less than what it sells in store but I can't seem to find those rear speakers for sale separately

If it makes a difference, my room is prewired in the 4 corners to put speakers up. Should I do that instead of a soundbar?

I have a 82" Q90R with the built in speakers.

If your room is pre-wired already, I would take advantage of that and move to a receiver/5.1 setup. A dedicated 5.1 system will be significantly better than a soundbar setup. Your cost will be more obviously but I think it's worth it.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
***TCL Alert***
I'll post it here instead of buried in a response but Techradar reporting that TCL has both a mini-LED 6 series and a QLED 5 series at their booth. If both come out and are reasonably priced, they'll be great options.

I will buy a 43" QLED 5-Series in a second to replace my 40" 1080p set I use as an office TV

Do we know if the 6 Series will be a 120 Hz native panel, because VRR is better with a 120 hz panel.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Been reading that it'll cost LG more to make a 48" panel. This is because factories have always been set up for 55" and 65".

Guess we will see how the pricing plays out this spring.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Been reading that it'll cost LG more to make a 48" panel. This is because factories have always been set up for 55" and 65".

Guess we will see how the pricing plays out this spring.

it's because there is more wastage on a smaller panel and it fundamentally costs the same as a larger panel to make
65inch is the optimal size for Their process, which is why it's priced so competitively Vs the 55inch and sees larger discounts.
It's also why the bigger panels are crazy expensive.

an example image of how the manufacturing has changed over time
Display-Fig-4.png

This will continue and no doubt it is why they have chosen to not release a budget BX version of the 48inch model
I wonder if it might have a knock on effect of making the range ever so slightly more expensive too as they slot it in

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not that I've seen, I just don't expect that because 2.1 cables have to be tested that it suddenly means the end of cheaper cables.

Cable companies will have to pay for testing and certification and this will limit the production of budget cables no doubt.
As full bandwidth 2.1 is going to be limited to only a handful of displays this year and useage cases (premium consoles), I'd also expect manufacturers to take advantage of that enthusiast status too.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I moved recently and realized i don´t really use my tv. At my old place and even less now, mostly watch stuff on my pc.
So, i want to sell my LG 55" B7. Maybe finally update my old ass 1080p60 monitors. Anyone have a rough estimate what i can ask for? No scratches or burn in.
Thought this might be the right place, even if it´s about newer tech.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cable companies will have to pay for testing and certification and this will limit the production of budget cables no doubt.
As full bandwidth 2.1 is going to be limited to only a handful of displays this year and useage cases (premium consoles), I'd also expect manufacturers to take advantage of that enthusiast status too.
I'm sure some will take advantage, I'm just saying that I don't think testing and certification is that expensive.

Not a 2.1 cable, but still a tested and certified premium HDMI cable, which isn't much different in price to other non certified cables.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Some people are hoping that the GX prices mirror that of the outgoing E9 series. After seeing this video, I'd say no way. Expect to pay a premium for the GX line:

Yup. I'm still getting the 77" GX, but I'm expecting around $7K-$8K minimum on this set when it launches. I'm hoping that it reaches around that much or around $5K by the end of the summer or if not, Black Friday.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Probably 2-3 hours per day or so. I really can't remember if I had OLED light at 100 or the default 80, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at 100. I'm leaving it at 80 on the B9 now. Now I wonder if the logo detection would dim that part of the screen now with the B9, would be nice to know.

100 OLED wasn't helping anything. That sucks, but tbh with that kind of use, not really surprising. Fortunately the 8/9 series oled's have larger red sub pixels, so that should help a lot in regards to burn in prevention.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
But if the hardware is able to, is it then just a software block/limit on the C8?
There will be various chips and components hard wired to deal with the HDMI 2.0 signalling.
As we've seen sometimes they can patch firmware to at least partially deal with it, but that is going to depend on many factors

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone share the perceived differences between LG C9 and the newly revealed CX?

Yukstin

Oct 31, 2017
Nashville, TN
You can start with an entry level Denon receiver like this one. There are also comparable Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha ones similarly priced. If you go up in feature level you get atmos sound or 7.1 capability but you aren't configured for them in your setup.

Once you have the receiver you can start looking at speakers and sub-woofers. You could entry level like this Klipsch set or go higher in price to get individual components. Klipsch has some good entry level Reference line speakers but your cost goes up over their basic 5.1 system. Audio components can get pricey but you don't want to go too cheap or the sound will really suffer.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for this.
So are there any good/affordable eARC compatible receivers yet?

Or even a better (or stupid) question would be..
Since the PS5 and the XSX are going to be the first devices to output a hdmi 2.1 source, is everyone on the planet gonna have to upgrade their receivers?

I'm thinking about getting a hdmi splitter. One for the tv and the other goes to the reciever. Surely that would be cheaper for now.... Only problem is... Are there any 2.1 splitters available?

Defeats the purpose of earc but could do until I can afford a better reciever in the future.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
it's because there is more wastage on a smaller panel and it fundamentally costs the same as a larger panel to make
65inch is the optimal size for Their process, which is why it's priced so competitively Vs the 55inch and sees larger discounts.
It's also why the bigger panels are crazy expensive.

an example image of how the manufacturing has changed over time
Display-Fig-4.png

This will continue and no doubt it is why they have chosen to not release a budget BX version of the 48inch model
I wonder if it might have a knock on effect of making the range ever so slightly more expensive too as they slot it in

Seems like LG is only making the 48" size to have a presence in that market space, 50" and under has strictly been LCD. Maybe the margins will be tiny or break even, but the value for LG could simply having a panel in that market.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like LG is only making the 48" size to have a presence in that market space, 50" and under has strictly been LCD. Maybe the margins will be tiny or break even, but the value for LG could simply having a panel in that market.

Yeah, I wonder how big the demand is. It's something that comes up in this thread a lot, people who would like an OLED but just don't have the space for one 55"+.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone share the perceived differences between LG C9 and the newly revealed CX?

Right now, the Dolby Vision automatic picture control based on might conditions in the house and the filmmaker mode is all LG are talking about. There's a more powerful professor chip too, but you'll have to wait and see what difference that makes. Probably not a big one.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. So I'm looking to buy one with the following things:
+27" or larger
+UHD or 3440 x 1440
+Display type doesn't matter, but no OLED
+lots or a pretty decent amount of ports

And my budget is less than $600. Or should I just hold off until a monitor with HDMI 2.1 releases?

Jun 10, 2018
I think this years TCL 5-Series could make for a good monitor as it's going to have a QLED panel and is supposed to feature Full Array Local Dimming. That would make for a very good 43" display granted it comes in at the previous 5-Series price of $349. No word on brightness or the amount of dimming zones yet.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know Apple TV is coming to LG TVs this year, but does anyone know if Webos got an update? Couldn't google anything on it.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
This basically sums up what I DON'T like about CES https://www.techradar.com/news/tcl-...quality-to-budget-6-series-thanks-to-mini-led

The keynote never once mentioned the 6 series, but alas, a refresh with mini-LEDs might come out in 2020 (and a TCL 5-Series QLED as well)
This annoys the hell out of me.

This is what I was looking to confirm since Monday, they don't need to keep it a secret.

People are going to buy what they want, it isn't going to cannibalize sales to announce an upcoming model. Americans buying TVs by the truckload.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This annoys the hell out of me.

This is what I was looking to confirm since Monday, they don't need to keep it a secret.

People are going to buy what they want, it isn't going to cannibalize sales to announce an upcoming model. Americans buying TVs by the truckload.
I mean, I've seen SOME sites detail the new Samsung TVs with a few nifty features, but they aren't friggin' talking about anything except the WALL and the dumb rotating one.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
+27" or larger
+UHD or 3440 x 1440

And my budget is less than $600. Or should I just hold off until a monitor with HDMI 2.1 releases?

Are you looking to hook up consoles to it? If PC only, then no need to wait. Not many monitors have a lot of ports, usually just a DP, an HDMI and maybe a USB-C

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
+27" or larger
+UHD or 3440 x 1440

Display yep doesn't mater, but LCD only? Ok.

To be clear, I don't care what you buy, I just dot understand that statement.