• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Seems this is how the tonemap toggle / 'hard clip' feature is implemented in the Panasonic HZ2000. Pretty neat for HDR games too, since you can just match the hard clip setting in a lot of games with an exact number found in any given game's in-game HDR settings.

mKToGD2.png

via HDTVTest

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Seems this is how the tonemap toggle / 'hard clip' feature is implemented in the Panasonic HZ2000. Pretty neat for HDR games too, since you can just match the hard clip setting in a lot of games with an exact number.

mKToGD2.png

via HDTVTest

yeah it's basically what the HGIG setting does on the LG, however it's fixed at the display peak.
Disabling any display mapping or roll off that may occur.

This means that if you want to do a separate lower output trim as you would for A Dolby Vision grade, you can physically see the effect of the clip (if your grading software doesn't already)

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
waited this long to buy a 4k set

I can't believe the options are so weak.

I hate LG but they make all the OLED sets. I don't mind Samsung but LCD has its issues.

This sucks. Fingers crossed for that late year SONY OLED w/2.1.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
This article alludes to Sony's OLED's having HDMI 2.1. I'm so confused. Was it confirmed that they won't support the format? Here's a quote:

Neither of the new OLED TVs appear to feature HDMI 2.1 ports, a weird omission considering that Sony's upcoming PlayStation 5 will use HDMI 2.1 to elevate the visual gaming experience. It could hint that Sony is once again planning to introduce additional high-end TVs in the second half of the year.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Sony only started equipping their TVs with 4 full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 ports 2 years ago. I could have told you back then they weren't going to be on the cutting edge with HDMI 2.1.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
So basically we have to wait until spring for these to drop? I want to see reviews and such before I make a decision. Based on early impressions it seems the C9 is still the way to go. If I see it on sale I might jump on. I'm strictly going to use it for PS4/PS5.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
eARC allows you to plug your console into your TV and then using eARC send HD audio to your receiver.

Thanks for this.
So are there any good/affordable eARC compatible receivers yet?

Or even a better (or stupid) question would be..
Since the PS5 and the XSX are going to be the first devices to output a hdmi 2.1 source, is everyone on the planet gonna have to upgrade their receivers?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for this.
So are there any good/affordable eARC compatible receivers yet?

Or even a better (or stupid) question would be..
Since the PS5 and the XSX are going to be the first devices to output a hdmi 2.1 source, is everyone on the planet gonna have to upgrade their receivers?

My Denon x3500 is earc/ALLM compatible

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This article alludes to Sony's OLED's having HDMI 2.1. I'm so confused. Was it confirmed that they won't support the format? Here's a quote:

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. Sony doesn't explicitly confirm HDMI 2.1 for it's 8K range, but says it will support 8K 60hz which means HDMI 2.1. Similarly, they say the X900H will support 4K 120hz shortly after launch but nothing for X950H. There's no way the lower model will have a feature that exceeds the higher model. I think they don't say anything about it because they don't know exactly when it will be enabled.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If the 48 inch LG CX has the right price I might bite on that, but I have a question since I don't know a ton about OLED.
What kind of life span do OLED TVs have? I use my TV a lot for reference. I don't want to drop upwards of 1k on an OLED TV and have to replace it in 5 years. I'm hoping my first 4K TV will last me a good 8-10 years.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I had burn-in on my C7 after about 2 years. Luckily I had the Best Buy warranty and after trying to order the replacement screen and it not being in stock, they're just replacing it with a C9.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I had burn-in on my C7 after about 2 years. Luckily I had the Best Buy warranty and after trying to order the replacement screen and it not being in stock, they're just replacing it with a C9.
I wasn't even worried about burn in since I see people say it's not really an issue all the time :/
So if I want a TV that will last the better part of the decade I'm probably better off picking up a QLED or something, huh?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Sony does historically launch the high-end flagship TV's around August/September time frame. That is when arguably the best LCD TV the ZD9 came out.

Right now with Samsung not having HDMI 2.1 on the 4k sets and Sony not having it as well...it looks like LG may be what I go with this year. Right now the LG is ticking all the boxes with having both VRR and Gsync in addition to all the other great stuff. I traditionally am more of a LCD person, I do prefer a much brighter display...but I have owned briefly a OLED back in 2018 and did like it...just felt the HDR was not a punchy.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
So what TV should I be looking at for PS5 and playing fighting games? Just wait for more info on the LGs?

We don't really know enough yet but keep an eye out on reviews on rtings come Spring. LG CX is likely going to be the best high end TV for gaming as the C9 was last year. I'd recommend getting a set with HDMI 2.1 which PS5 is likely to utilize.

Jun 23, 2019
We don't really know enough yet but keep an eye out on reviews on rtings come Spring. LG CX is likely going to be the best high end TV for gaming as the C9 was last year. I'd recommend getting a set with HDMI 2.1 which PS5 is likely to utilize.

Gotcha. I'm still rocking my TCL P605 from 2018 and it's served me well, but the next generation beckons...

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
How did you guys get burn-in? Was it from gaming (which game)? Or broadcast TV logo? Tell us more.
I got it from watching the same Twitch streamer playing the same game for 2 years (flamu playing World of Warships), it was more like a shadow in the left corner only visible under certain conditions (the ship health bar). The buyer of the TV was made aware and could see it before he bought the TV from be (B6), and I then got a B9.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm so mad at Samsung, I was expecting the new 4K tv to have Hdmi 2.1 and Dolby Vision at least, plus general improvements but they are already pushing to the stupid 8K, and still no Dolby Vision.

As a tired Plasma user I can't consider any Oled so I'm just fu**ed for the next gen.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome article to help explain MicroLED for the folks that have been asking https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/new...ung-first-line-try/?__twitter_impression=true

Supposedly "affordable" mLEDs should be available no later than 2026, but according to some sources, it could be as early as 2023. "The Wall" isn't it for the majority of people. Depending on so many things (how hard they actually end up being to mass produce, QA as well as overall longevity) would make this the legitimate upgrade from OLED where you get all of the benefits, and more, with none of the downsides. Unless these TVs just end up being so expensive for the next ten years that despite being a better OLED, still would not outright replace them.

If the 48 inch LG CX has the right price I might bite on that, but I have a question since I don't know a ton about OLED.
What kind of life span do OLED TVs have? I use my TV a lot for reference. I don't want to drop upwards of 1k on an OLED TV and have to replace it in 5 years. I'm hoping my first 4K TV will last me a good 8-10 years.

There haven't really even been any mass produced consumer models available for that long yet. I thought the first were released in 2014 and were 1080p. I have never had a TV last for ten years as a main monitor, although my 2009 plasma still works. I stopped using it regularly though in 2016. As far as OLEDs specifically go, who knows? It will just depend on whether or not you get a good, average or bad panel. The first one I bought died in under three years. The second one I bought to replace it only has 800 hours on it so far, and has been doing fine, but it has uniformity issues.

Take this with a grain of salt.

The biggest technical problem for OLEDs is the limited lifetime of the organic materials. One 2008 technical report on an OLED TV panel found that after 1,000 hours, the blue luminance degraded by 12%, the red by 7% and the green by 8%. In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at eight hours per day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology; each currently is rated for about 25,000–40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model. One major challenge for OLED displays is the formation of dark spots due to the ingress of oxygen and moisture, which degrades the organic material over time whether or not the display is powered. In 2016, LG Electronics reported an expected lifetime of 100,000 hours, up from 36,000 hours in 2013. However, Rtings tested in 2018 to 2019 several OLED TVs and found that their expected lifetime is of just 9064 hours before burn-in becomes noticeable. A US Department of Energy paper shows that the expected lifespans of OLED lighting products goes down with increasing brightness, with an expected lifespan of 40,000 hours at 25% brightness, or 10,000 hours at 100% brightness.

I wasn't even worried about burn in since I see people say it's not really an issue all the time :/
So if I want a TV that will last the better part of the decade I'm probably better off picking up a QLED or something, huh?

Because when certain people don't have an issue, they want to act like it's not ever an issue. Some people just get really lucky with their sets, some don't and it also sometimes depends on how many hours you're actually playing certain games. 20 - 200 hours? Shouldn't be a problem, but in the thousands?

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
On big TV I play only big PS4 exclusives, so 100-150 hours. Double that for two (me and my brother) and that's it. Let's go safe and say 500 hours on single game, how probably is to get burn in with those hours on single content on a new OLED?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
On big TV I play only big PS4 exclusives, so 100-150 hours. Double that for two (me and my brother) and that's it. Let's go safe and say 500 hours on single game, how probably is to get burn in with those hours on single content on a new OLED?

Very little, tests shows issues by thousands hours.

Is the panel of the C8 able to do 4k120? Is there any way to test that?

The panel can but HDMI 2.0. doesn't have enough bandwitch, so it only can with videos through an USB stick or streaming.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
And that's when nothing else is played on the TV. If you're playing other games or watching stuff in-between sessions of playing that one game, then it's even less of a concern.

That doesn't really matter, burn in is just cumulative hours. Varying content doesn't help preventing burn in, it's how many hours that image is shown on the screen.

Of course, if you vary content it means you'll probably have that risky image less time on screen so it's kind of a half true I guess lol

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That doesn't really matter, burn in is just cumulative hours. Varying content doesn't help preventing burn in, it's how many hours that image is shown on the screen.

Of course, if you vary content it means you'll probably have that risky image less time on screen so it's kind of a half true I guess lol

I think the thing with varied content is that it means that certain pixels are less likely to overheat and degrade faster as they should get to cool down more often

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing with varied content is that it means that certain pixels are less likely to overheat and degrade faster as they should get to cool down more often

It still shouldn't matter as much as cumulative time. Playing the same game across a hundred hours in five hour intervals with additional content in between shouldn't really be all that different than playing it a hundred hours straight. The pixels shouldn't be progressively getting hotter the entire time, and if you were to play in sessions, they would still hit an average peak temperature for the duration.

It's not like it was with the way varying content helped plasma sets. I think the main reason it's still suggested on OLEDs is really because of the illusion of prevention, when really all you're doing is stalling the inevitable when using the same content for extreme durations.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
And that's when nothing else is played on the TV. If you're playing other games or watching stuff in-between sessions of playing that one game, then it's even less of a concern.

Thats not true. It's cumulative. If You spend 1000 hours playing the same game, it doesn't matter if you only ever play that game on the tv or if you watched some tv in between the gaming sessions.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

A pixel heating up should take just seconds. So unless you're varying content by the minute, I don't think varying content would have an impact.

Put it this way, those CNN logos are interrupted by commercials every 5 to 10 minutes, right? So the pixels should be able to "cool down". But the CNN logo is still one of the things most likely to get burnt into an OLED tv. It's cumulative time with a pixel being on that is the culprit. Letting a pixel turn off in between has little impact.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A pixel heating up should take just seconds. So unless you're varying content by the minute, I don't think varying content would have an impact.

Put it this way, those CNN logos are interrupted by commercials every 5 to 10 minutes, right? So the pixels should be able to "cool down". But the CNN logo is still one of the things most likely to get burnt into an OLED tv. It's cumulative time with a pixel being on that is the culprit. Letting a pixel turn off in between has little impact.

Yeah, that's pretty much what LG themselves have said. Half an hour of a CNN logo over two days is the same as 1 hour on one session.

That said, the RTings test showed it took 5,000 hours for CNN to burn in on their test C7's on default OLED light and over 9,000 hours for football and FIFA logos to burn in. Call of Duty WW2 never burnt in.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly "affordable" mLEDs should be available no later than 2026, but according to some sources, it could be as early as 2023. "The Wall" isn't it for the majority of people. Depending on so many things (how hard they actually end up being to mass produce, QA as well as overall longevity) would make this the legitimate upgrade from OLED where you get all of the benefits, and more, with none of the downsides. Unless these TVs just end up being so expensive for the next ten years that despite being a better OLED, still would not outright replace them.
Tech moves really fast - and Samsung (and to a lesser extent LG) seem heavily invested in Micro. I can't imagine it taking 10 years, but once it comes I expect it to be around for a looooooooong time, since it has the benefits and none of the downsides as you mentioned.

For now I'm incredibly happy with OLED though.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tech moves really fast - and Samsung (and to a lesser extent LG) seem heavily invested in Micro. I can't imagine it taking 10 years, but once it comes I expect it to be around for a looooooooong time, since it has the benefits and none of the downsides as you mentioned.

For now I'm incredibly happy with OLED though.

I guess the issue now is that by the point they're coming, will 8k be the standard or is the industry going to go even higher? And if that is the case, then will that make manufacturing even harder again? I agree with EvilBoris about it maybe never reaching consumer homes unless the manufacturing issue is solved. It just feels like every technology has one problem that will never be totally solved, just mitigated against.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the issue now is that by the point they're coming, will 8k be the standard or is the industry going to go even higher? And if that is the case, then will that make manufacturing even harder again? I agree with EvilBoris about it maybe never reaching consumer homes unless the manufacturing issue is solved. It just feels like every technology has one problem that will never be totally solved, just mitigated against.
I'm not comparing the Mled problem to major tech advances in tech, science and medicine but the root of the problem - laying something manually - is highly solvable. We used to make cars by hand and do major surgeries by hand and it's harder to fathom automating them then it is to believe that at some point, with the amount of R&D Samsung is likely putting into this, they'll be able to use robotics to lay those pixels.

Maybe I'm being naive but I don't see that problem as unsolvable.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not comparing the Mled problem to major tech advances in tech, science and medicine but the root of the problem - laying something manually - is highly solvable. We used to make cars by hand and do major surgeries by hand and it's harder to fathom automating them then it is to believe that at some point, with the amount of R&D Samsung is likely putting into this, they'll be able to use robotics to lay those pixels.

Maybe I'm being naive but I don't see that problem as unsolvable.

It's not completley unsovable, but the tech advancing in resolution specifically is going to cause issues. If 4k is a problem, then 8k is an even bigger problem and if the rest of the lineup is 8k in however long it takes to solve the issue they currently have with 4k, they're not going to invest in getting that 4k TV out there.

I could see it happening if for whatever reason 8k remains niche and not a content delivery resolution. Which I'd be OK with to be honest.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
It's not completley unsovable, but the tech advancing in resolution specifically is going to cause issues. If 4k is a problem, then 8k is an even bigger problem and if the rest of the lineup is 8k in however long it takes to solve the issue they currently have with 4k, they're not going to invest in getting that 4k TV out there.

I could see it happening if for whatever reason 8k remains niche and not a content delivery resolution. Which I'd be OK with to be honest.
I'm not sure I agree, based on my robotics comment above. Once you solve the automation problem it shouldn't matter if you have to place X sized pixels Y distance apart or (0.5)X sized pixels (0.5)Y distance apart. I'm oversimplifying but do you know what I'm saying?