• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
*reads that Sony is releasing a 48-inch OLED*

wgy3ldwi8ryv296z2wnj.jpg

*finds out that it doesn't have HDMI 2.1*

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

In an important year when the PlayStation 5 is going to available, what on earth are Sony thinking...

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
*reads that Sony is releasing a 48-inch OLED*

wgy3ldwi8ryv296z2wnj.jpg

*finds out that it doesn't have HDMI 2.1*

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

In an important year when the PlayStation 5 is going to available, what on earth are Sony thinking...
They're prob thinking most TV purchases from ps5 players will happen in 2021 or later. Could there be a dispute with the fee they're being charged for 2.1?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope TCL is adding HDMI 2.1 to their mid tier TVs. I don't want an 8k set since the price will be over what I want to pay for a feature that won't come into maturity until the next next gen for games. HDMI 2.1, while sill largely unsupported, will be a more broadly accepted thing in the next couple years. I held out last year from upgrading. I'd hope this year isn't another middling offering unless you want to go high end.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
Did any AV receiver manufacturer announce anything at CES regarding HDMI 2.1 on their new 2020 receivers? I am hoping Onkyo, Denon, or Yamaha announced something regarding HDMI 2.1. Vizio announced their sound bars are going to have HDMI 2.1 so hopefully there are receivers that have HDMI 2.1.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not understanding why the W line exists now that the GX series essentially does the same thing.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I have quite a few questions guys but I'll elaborate further if needed.

But essentially how does calibration differ for HDR vs SDR ? Do you need to calibrate hdr settings different ? If all color is derived from RBG then why would two seperate calibrations be required ? Hdr simply has an even wider spectrum of color , but again all derived from RBG.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Epic fail by Sony's TV department.

And LG's CX does not have any gaming improvements over last year's C9 it seems so I have now actually started tracking the older model for good deals.
edit: though Forbes is reporting improved brightness-levels thanks to the new chip hmm..

Last edited:

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Could that be just a Vizio thing? I have a 2016 Samsung 4k TV and all ports are HDMI 2.0 capable of 4k60

Maybe it is a Vizio thing... I'm pretty sure I've read an article about the 2020 Vizio OLEDs and the article mentioned, "The OLED versions will come with at least one HDMI 2.1 port." Making it sound like there will only be one of those ports and the rest would be HDMI 2.0. If that's the case I'll just stick with LG.
My Vizio TV is from 2015 and I always assumed other brands did something similar to mid end TVs.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Was just looking at the LG website where they only show the 77" right now for the GX line. It has dimensions with and without a stand.

I'm guessing that the GX models will come with a stand but that LG really wants to play up the wall mounting "gallery" aspect at CES.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah look, Archer said the same stuff last year about how it looks brighter, crisper, better upscaling, etc.

I had a C8 and C9 and yes it was a little better on sharpness, but not as drastic as he makes it out to be. Don't forget, the content they're showing is pristine quality. I suspect it's very incremental at best when you start using a HD cable feed or streaming quality.

So on paper would CX be better than C9, probably is but there is literally no big features this year. All this filmaker junk is more/less using an ISF mode and turning off the ehancement settings. If you have your TV calibrated already, there's no point to this. It's not like LG is going to spend 4 hours calibrating every set so it's just a gimmick IMO.

As long as the C9/E9 gets the update to 4k/120hz for HDMI 2.1 as promised, then we're all good with our 2019 sets. I'm glad I grabbed an E9 before they discontinue the E series...I got it for asthetics, not the built-in soundbar.

If you're looking for a new set, no reason not to get a C9 right now at a great price.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Torben Rasmussen of flatpanelsdk speculates Sony may announce higher end OLED sets later in the year which may include HDMI 2.1 features. I can't recall the history of how they've gone about announcing sets throughout the year in the past, but I suppose this is plausible.

Torben Rasmussen - flatpanelsdk said:
Neither of the new OLED TVs appear to feature HDMI 2.1 ports, a weird omission considering that Sony's upcoming PlayStation 5 will use HDMI 2.1 to elevate the visual gaming experience. It could hint that Sony is once again planning to introduce additional high-end TVs in the second half of the year.

Source

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Torben Rasmussen of flatpanelsdk speculates Sony may announce higher end OLED sets later in the year which may include HDMI 2.1 features. I can't recall the history of how they've gone about announcing sets throughout the year in the past, but I suppose this is plausible.

Source

This makes perfect sense just before they release PS5 telling people that the "best" TV to go with it will be the new HDMI 2.1 set

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony not having HDMI 2.1 in their OLED sets is a bad look. They're the ones putting out the PS5 this year. If anyone should be coming out swinging with HDMI 2.1 on all their sets, it should be Sony.

Hopefully that speculation that they'll sock the market with a surprise late 2020 OLED turns out to be the truth.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

Source
This is probably likely. After all, why wouldn't you introduce your high end TV's with your new high end console?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Clearly, Sony don't want you gaming on Oled. I can see their logic:

"Games look best on Bright LCDs overall. Oleds only look good at night, or in caves. They suck in rooms with lots of natural light."

Kidding aside, WTF SONY? No HDMI 2.1 ?

To be fair, almost nobody here would have bought a Sony Oled. Too expensive. It's going to be all Vizio and LG sets next Black Friday.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

Source
Sounds like they'll come out swinging with the ultimate OLED right before the PS5.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Did any AV receiver manufacturer announce anything at CES regarding HDMI 2.1 on their new 2020 receivers? I am hoping Onkyo, Denon, or Yamaha announced something regarding HDMI 2.1. Vizio announced their sound bars are going to have HDMI 2.1 so hopefully there are receivers that have HDMI 2.1.

I'm searching and I'm finding nothing. :-( Denon was at CES 2019. Maybe it's just that the TVs get covered first, then the audio equipment gets covered later?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Meaning no good deals when PS5 is out. Anyone wanting to do a new TV along with their new console will likely be looking at LG & Vizio at Black Friday.

Well played, Sony
But if you want the best next gen set you'll have to go with them or wait 6 months for a sale. Personally I'd wait the 6 months. I won't be buying my next TV before 2022 so I'm curious to see what they come out with.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Might be time to finally upgrade from my B6 to a C9. Be nice if a super deal on the 77" version would happen at some point.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
No QLED sets this year, or am I just missing them?

I mean, CX is looking good to me, but would like to see if QLED is improving further.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
It's important and future proofs the next consoles. It's the only thing that supports VRR which XBOX series X supports and PS5 may support (not yet confirmed). It's just frustrating. You drop over a grand on a TV and you'd expect it to come with inevitable tech. https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what-you-need-to-know/
I mean I get that. The big thing I see is VRR I guess. But we need receivers to play ball too. This is all assuming that console games won't be 4K30 for "best graphics possible" over framerate. I'm cautiously optimistic that framerate all of a sudden becomes important to developers in that space.

PC wise sure.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
No QLED sets this year, or am I just missing them?

I mean, CX is looking good to me, but would like to see if QLED is improving further.

Samsung have been focussed on the 8K displays and the bezelless one (looks really nice) and they did announce the new 4K range.

specs have not been released yet, but we do know that the 80t model has had the ultra wide viewing angle filter removed (q80r had it)

TCL and Vizio and others all have QLED variants too

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I mean I get that. The big thing I see is VRR I guess. But we need receivers to play ball too. This is all assuming that console games won't be 4K30 for "best graphics possible" over framerate. I'm cautiously optimistic that framerate all of a sudden becomes important to developers in that space.

PC wise sure.

All of Xbox's big franchises are 60fps already, or have 60fps modes. They've been prepping for a number of years.
The CPUs are hugely improved so should make that even easier and more commonplace too.
Of course , that's not to say that there won't be 30fps or worse games this generation, but VRR being so commonplace means that framerate caps and performance modes can be less/more common too.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Samsung have been focussed on the 8K displays and the bezelless one (looks really nice) and they did announce the new 4K range.

specs have not been released yet, but we do know that the 80t model has had the ultra wide viewing angle filter removed (q80r had it)

TCL and Vizio and others all have QLED variants too

Cheers, saw the 8k one and thought it was weird if that was the only one.

Hoping for improvements over the Q90 to tempt me to use the upgrade programme with them.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
This article alludes to Sony's OLED's having HDMI 2.1. I'm so confused. Was it confirmed that they won't support the format? Here's a quote:

What does Sony have in store for 2020? We got a good look at the year ahead in Sony TVs at the CES 2020 expo this week, with a range of 8K, 4K, OLED and LCD sets focusing on a full home cinema experience – including premium audio features and the latest Android 9.0 smart platform.

While not everyone will be buying a new Sony set with gaming in mind, it's impossible to talk about Sony in 2020 without mentioning the PS5 – the next-gen console and rival to the incoming Xbox Series X.

It's hard to tell how closely Sony's TV and gaming arms have worked together, but we're told that the new fleet of televisions have been made specifically with "upcoming next-generation gaming consoles" in mind, with sets offering HDR in 8K resolution, 4K resolution at 120fps high frame rate, and "fast response time via HDMI inputs" (using the latest HDMI 2.1 standard) to maximize the performance of the PS5 and its competitor.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
All of Xbox's big franchises are 60fps already, or have 60fps modes. They've been prepping for a number of years.
The CPUs are hugely improved so should make that even easier and more commonplace too.
Of course , that's not to say that there won't be 30fps or worse games this generation, but VRR being so commonplace means that framerate caps and performance modes can be less/more common too.
Right. I play those on PC so I hope they were 60fps lol. I do hope there is a greater look at framerate now.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PC wise sure.
Plenty of 2018 and 2019 receivers got an eARC update, you don't need full 2.1 compatibility for the receiver.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of 2018 and 2019 receivers got an eARC update, you don't need full 2.1 compatibility for the receiver.
Does that mean you can go Console/PC to receiver to TV and get full 2.1 features? I'm slightly outdated with that stuff as I have a 5.1 setup/receiver from a few years ago. I thought you needed a new port for that so you would need new hardware.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017