• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Im in such a bad situation now. Just literally moved into my new place yesterday with no TV at all, so i will need something soon. If i wouldnt mind waiting if i had atleast something to watch content on, but i got nothing, hence will need to buy something soon.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im in such a bad situation now. Just literally moved into my new place yesterday with no TV at all, so i will need something soon. If i wouldnt mind waiting if i had atleast something to watch content on, but i got nothing, hence will need to buy something soon.
You could probably find a temp TV off Craigslist, then sell it when you find "the one. I would probably buy a $300 ish TV from Costco. It's amazing what you can get these days.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between the Apple TV hardware and app? I'm guessing that the app will provide the same stuff to purchase? Apple TV is supposed to offer the highest quality, right?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Woah, nice! What about HDMI 2.1 for their 2020 sets? Sony would be my preference if they had th is feature.
It's probably for the best. I'm kinda afraid to get use to 120, it'll make 30 and 60 worse. Didn't realize it was you either kc till I read the name.
Yeah, I can understand that. It can already be hard for me to get used to 30 sometimes after playing at 60. But still, I'm looking to get a TV with a native 120Hz panel for the next gen consoles and PC. Hopefully the new LG OLEDs don't have this issue you mention. Sorry you gotta deal with that, dude.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
So far I think Vizio has the best showing in terms of TV's because they have implemented HDMI 2.1 in most of their TV's and has a OLED TV in their lineup. I thought TCL was disappointing because they did not announce too many TV's. I think Hisense is interesting with the H9G Quantum. If that TV has HDMI 2.1 then that tv is going to be great deal because the 65 inch $1000.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So far I think Vizio has the best showing in terms of TV's because they have implemented HDMI 2.1 in most of their TV's and has a OLED TV in their lineup. I thought TCL was disappointing because they did not announce too many TV's. I think Hisense is interesting with the H9G Quantum. If that TV has HDMI 2.1 then that tv is going to be great deal because the 65 inch $1000.

Seems like lots of competition out there which should be great for consumers.

Hopefully we see this in pricing/deals towards the end of this year.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, at this point am I'm stupid if I don't buy something with HDMI 2.1? I was really looking at picking up a Samsung Q70, and went and priced out a couple over the holidays. It is at the high end up my budget ($1300 CAD for 55"), but if they release a 2020 model, it'll have to support HDMI 2.1, right? Do you think this is something Samsung would announce tonight?

Yukstin

Oct 31, 2017
Nashville, TN
John Archer posted some initial impressions of the new CX line. Looks like there has been some picture improvements not mentioned in the initial press releases. Nothing crazy but an uptick and improvements nonetheless. Seems like another year of debate of whether saving money on the previous year model over some picture improvements.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
John Archer coming through with more details on the CX. Some nice picture enhancements.

Setting input to PC doesn't change anything. HDR at 120hz continues to be washed out, even when dropping down to 720p at 422 8bit.
I don't believe hdr works properly at 1080120 on 2017 oled. Have to set it back to 60 fps.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
The 77" missing from Sony's 2020 OLED lineup is troubling for me. Looking to jump from my 65" A8F to a 77" Sony OLED next year.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
John Archer posted some initial impressions of the new CX line. Looks like there has been some picture improvements not mentioned in the initial press releases. Nothing crazy but an uptick and improvements nonetheless. Seems like another year of debate of whether saving money on the previous year model over some picture improvements.

There were a lot of impressions like this last year claiming that the C9 was brighter than the C8, had better motion performance, and better upscaling. Once reviewers did side-by-side comparisons there turned out to be no difference.

Archer in particular is kind of notorious for doing these glowing previews based on subjective claims that don't end up panning out.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There were a lot of impressions like this last year claiming that the C9 was brighter than the C8, had better motion performance, and better upscaling. Once reviewers did side-by-side comparisons there turned out to be no difference.

Archer in particular is kind of notorious for doing these glowing previews based on subjective claims that don't end up panning out.

I remember this.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

I was going to say something similar.
I never trust impressions that can so clearly compare against a product only by memory.

Human memory is terrible, so I'm looking forward to actual comparisons in the future.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Seems likely that LG (et al) got whatever they can out of bottom emission panels. Hopefully TE brings some leaps in PQ and brightness until whatever is next

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Here's what John said about the lg c9 from Last year's impressions . I'm not super knowledgeable about how the c9 ended up comparing to the c8. But both this and last years articles seem to be a bit on the hyperbolic side. Hoping Vincent drops a video soon and we see what's up.