• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll come down to pricing for me. The PQ is good enough for me (1K+ peak/600 fullscreen nits is still great, and 200+ dimming zones on a 65" 4K TV is solid), but if the premium to move up to the PQX is small, I'll pay it.

No one else is going to offer Quantum Dot displays with these features and pricing this year, right?

PQs have been known to see some killer sale prices. It's possible Vizio won't be as generous with pricing on their PQX sets if the gap is that wide.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
An example of real world values

highdynamic-range-hdr-demystified-20-638.jpg
Very different from the inside of a darkened room and the light coming from a single source but yeah.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
After the bombshell about now MicroLED sets are produced, there is not a change in hell those are going to make it to consumers in useful TV sizes in the next decade.
It's just a distraction until QD-OLED is good to go, which is the realistic next technology change.

Hmm what bombshell are you referring to / what's the info?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm what bombshell are you referring to / what's the info?

Juts then bombshell that another member pointed out that the current manufacturing technique is to play each and every pixel manually onto a substrate.
That's why the current displays are low resolution , huge and like half a million bucks

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Juts then bombshell that another member pointed out that the current manufacturing technique is to play each and every pixel manually onto a substrate.
That's why the current displays are low resolution , huge and like half a million bucks

It seems like with today's robotics it shouldn't be that hard to create a process by which the laying of pixels is automated, but what do i know

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Well that's a whole lot of nothing. 8K is useful only if you need a 80+ inch screen, there is practically no content for it, gaming is not very feasible at that resolution either.

TVs this year seem to be all about 8K, with none of the manufacturers making much actual progress in terms of features or image quality.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

There are almost 25million microLEDs to be placed for a 4K display. Even modern robots cant't move that fast

Hmm that seems crazy if that's the process and it can't be simplified somehow.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well that's a whole lot of nothing. 8K is useful only if you need a 80+ inch screen, there is practically no content for it, gaming is not very feasible at that resolution either.

TVs this year seem to be all about 8K, with none of the manufacturers making much actual progress in terms of features or image quality.

Yep. Looks like they're all trumpeting the "upscaling" capabilities of these 8K sets.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Hmm that seems crazy if that's the process and it can't be simplified somehow.
That is the process. Simplifying it would be the key to making it an actual viable consumer technology. It has not been figured out yet, which is why it's not yet a viable consumer technology. It's been this way for a couple years now, they need a major break through in manufacturing technology in order for this to happen.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
So sounds like we need robots that can do this

1wb4XCj.gif

But instead of punching stuff, they place pixels

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Thinking of getting the TCL 6 series but reading motion handling is not great for sports and gaming. Can anyone here attest?
I had a TCL 6 Series, hated it for gaming, lol. Now, I came from a Plasma (the kings of motion handling), so my impression of the TCL might be skewed a bit because of that, but... Motion seemed really poor in comparison. Things were noticeably blurred in motion with trails behind moving objects. Also, sometimes when playing a game at native 4K, there are these weird color artifacts that show up in motion too, can look odd and be distracting.

The real problem wasn't the motion for me tho, it was DSE (Dirty Screen Effect). I tried 3 different panels, and all had horrific DSE (poor Gray Uniformity likely caused by poor QA). Basically looks like jailbars running through the screen anytime you can the camera around in games, looked disgusting honestly. Beyond all of that, the first two sets had some major defects as well (dead pixels on the first, busted backlight on the second). The third was fine, but... But between the bad DSE and horrid Motion handling, I just wasn't satisfied with the picture for gaming, and after the first two sets, I had real concerns with the reliability of the set too.

So I'm kinda done with TCL now, learned my lesson. With TV's, you really do get what you pay for, big time, especially for gaming. I'm not sure you can honestly do better at the $5-600 price point, tho. My suggestion is to stay away from these budget brands with their cut corners, QA and reliability issues, and lackluster gaming performance. Save up for a new set from Sony Samsung, or LG with a full suite of HDMI 2.1 features. You'll be much happier, and hopefully have a TV that will be more futureproof and last you much longer.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Was considering picking up a C9 around April as I figured it would see some reasonable sales. I want to be prepared for next gen (currently have a 2016 Vizio P). Is there any major reason I should wait or get a 2020 model?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was considering picking up a C9 around April as I figured it would see some reasonable sales. I want to be prepared for next gen (currently have a 2016 Vizio P). Is there any major reason I should wait or get a 2020 model?

C8s saw some incredible sales when the C9 launched, and now the market is completely dry of C8s.

I would definitely wait at least a week to see what LG has up their sleeve and to see what their plans are.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't know what has to happen to TVs, but replacing my OLED in 10 years with something else that does not have these blacks and contrast seems very unlikely to me.

I love the C9, best decision not to get a Samsung for the external connection box.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Samsung ever does go with DV, is it simply a firmware update for their customers or would they need a new TV set altogether?

I believe any set capable of doing HDR10+ could receive a firmware update in theory, but don't know if Dolby allow that if it's not a feature on the box or something. Sure they could work something out.

The DV supporting sets that don't have HDR10+ could also work the other way.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I believe any set capable of doing HDR10+ could receive a firmware update in theory, but don't know if Dolby allow that if it's not a feature on the box or something. Sure they could work something out.

The DV supporting sets that don't have HDR10+ could also work the other way.

Interesting.

Makes no sense at this point for someone like Samsung not to offer DV.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
My Q90R doesn't have DV, so I'm unaware of the benefits. HDR still looks mind blowing on my TV.

What I've read (I believe that Dolby has even said this) is that brighter TVs benefit less from Dolby Vision than less bright TVs.

"Dolby Vision pulled ahead of HDR10 4K Blu-ray when the display featured suboptimal peak brightness/ colour volume/ tone-mapping, but the gap was closed to negligible levels by a high-end HDR TV with 1000+ nit peak luminance and accurate tone-mapping. "

Has anyone here with a high NIT (>1000) TV tested DV vs HDR10?

Also, i see a benefit of DV is that the HDR10 metadata is static per title and DV is dynamic. But that goes out the window with games. Could a video game with HDR10 essentially present dynamic metadata by sending new metadata when it needs to?