• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
50Hz is only for TV broadcasts though. TVs in EU/AUS are still sometimes advertised as 50 and 100Hz even though they are native 60/120. As soon as I fire up my Switch or Xbox One it kicks into 60, thankfully.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure we will see 48" Oled from Lg before end of 2020 or early 2021. I saw somewhere they have issue with the manufacturing on China and yields

I believe it's already been confirmed that either the B or C line (or both) will have 48" OLEDs this year via leaked CES documents

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I believe it's already been confirmed that either the B or C line (or both) will have 48" OLEDs this year via leaked CES documents
I hope you right we will see at CES. But this year doesn't mean necessarily Q1/Q2 2020 but can be Q4...

And not sure how can we expect the price of 48"? 100/200$ cheaper than 55"?

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you right we will see at CES. But this year doesn't mean necessarily Q1/Q2 2020 but can be Q4...

And not sure how can we expect the price of 48"? 100/200$ cheaper than 55"?

Pricing is definitely the big question, but I would expect it to release in Q2 like they do each year

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Pricing is definitely the big question, but I would expect it to release in Q2 like they do each year
I heard it was towards the end of the year
not a problem —
a) consoles aren't supposed to be out until the end of the year anyways.
b) just means more time to save up some cash.

The sooner they released them. The sooner the price will drop. I mean Q2 would be perfect for a Black Friday discount. But if they released them at the end of the year... see you next time :D

Oct 27, 2017
The sooner they released them. The sooner the price will drop. I mean Q2 would be perfect for a Black Friday discount. But if they released them at the end of the year... see you next time :D
Q2 could still happen though — This year we've got Euro 2020 & The Olympics. TV manufacturers often align their launches to have products ready to go for major sporting events. Either way there is an upside imo.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Vizio 2020 TVs will have support HDMI 2.1. Their VRR will start at 48fps.

Screen_Shot_2020_01_04_at_12.27.45_PM.png

They will also offer an OLED TV [LG panel].

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Q2 could still happen though — This year we've got Euro 2020 & The Olympics. TV manufacturers often align their launches to have products ready to go for major sporting events. Either way there is an upside imo.
Very good point. Next gen console launches + 2 major sporting events should equal a big increase in sales which should reduce prices going forward.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Vizio PQ or PQX sounds good to me.

Want to see what TCL and Sony offer but this is looking like my next TV if 65" prices are right.

Imagine everyone joining the HDMI 2.1 bandwagon this year.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Vizio 2020 TVs will have support HDMI 2.1. Their VRR will start at 48fps.

Screen_Shot_2020_01_04_at_12.27.45_PM.png

They will also offer an OLED TV [LG panel].

Anything less than HDMI 2.1 for 2020 sets would be a disappointment for any of the major brands' flagship sets.

The four biggest CES news items for Vizio seem to be:
  • They are going to have some OLED sets this year finally. Who the hell knows what the value and quality and peak brightness will be, but competition is competition.
  • Vizio top-end soundbars are getting overhauled with left and right speakers that mechanically move to point upward for Dolby Atmos content. Maybe this is just a silly gimmick or maybe it'll mean some great sound (relatively speaking when it comes to soundbars). Who knows. I'll wait for reviews to see if these are any good.
  • HDR10+ support coming to sets on top of Dolby Vision. A lot of sets you get one or the other, so it'll be nice to have both.
  • The biggest Vizio news of all: 3000 nits peak brightness on the Quantum X sets. 3000 fucking nits on consumer sets! Vizio has been Lord of the Nits since 2018 sitting at about 2000 peak nits for their Quantum 2018 / Quantum X 2019, and this is basically a 50% leap from that.
The gap between the PQ and PQX is widening even more for 2020, to such an extent that consumers are going to have to be careful - non-X 2020 PQs are not the same bang for the buck as PQs from 2018. PQX is going to be what people want. The difference in number of dimming zones and the difference in peak brightness will be so big that they're not really in the same ballpark at all this year (though they both do get VRR up to 120hz at least).

Last edited:

ppn7

May 4, 2019
What do you think about dual LCD TV ? Only Hisense and Panasonic are manufacturing these TV.

You think it will be worth it ?

Oct 28, 2017
I can't even tolerate 600 nits. How the fuck can people watch 3000 nits. Chasing even higher brightness is almost a gimmick, in my opinion. Improved contrast/black levels is the key.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even tolerate 600 nits. How the fuck can people watch 3000 nits. Chasing even higher brightness is almost a gimmick, in my opinion. Improved contrast/black levels is the key.

Give me my sunglasses and tanning lotion, I'm about to play Assassins Creed Odyssey and come out of a cave to look up at the sun on a 2020 PQX.

Oct 28, 2017
All da leaks, Samsung have got some

Are you a vampire?
I don't know. Maybe my brain has a problem with light output? All I can say is, I have a Sony A8F which is like less than 700 nits and I gamed on it the other day for like an hour in HDR and I ended up getting a splitting headache. It's definitely light related because when I game in SDR at lower brightness I don't have the same problem. This was in a light filled room, too.

I genuinely envy you guys who don't have a problem.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The Vizio OLED sounds like it could be interesting. 4K/120 with VRR and Freesync support? I might consider picking that up if the price is right.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
As Vizio will be using LG panels, they'll struggle to be THAT cheap in the OLED space. Still, competition is excellent, but I wouldn't expect them to be as price competitive as they are in the LED space.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
What do you think about dual LCD TV ? Only Hisense and Panasonic are manufacturing these TV.

You think it will be worth it ?

Compared to OLED, they will only do better in burn-in. So far it looks like they can't reach the brightness levels of regular LCDs and in terms of response time won't be better than typical LCD panels. They seem like an in-between tech before Micro-LED that handles HDR local dimming better than FALD arrays.

Speaking of OLED, if LG decided to make their 48" model curved (which they are capable of doing already!) it would make one awesome desktop screen. As a flat display it will just be slightly less of a problem than the current 55" model for desktop use.

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna ask a question that might seem weird but: is it me or are IPS displays clearer than VA? I mean, even in the TV space. I was watching a game demo on an LG the the other day that was IPS and it just seemed, i don't know, "clearer" than the other LCDs I've seen. Like, even standing really close to it the pixels seemed so close or something.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
After the bombshell about now MicroLED sets are produced, there is not a change in hell those are going to make it to consumers in useful TV sizes in the next decade.
It's just a distraction until QD-OLED is good to go, which is the realistic next technology change.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
EvilBoris is there anything inherent in QD-OLED that would reduce or eliminate BI? I know that's a benefit of Micro but completely understand it's not coming soon.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna ask a question that might seem weird but: is it me or are IPS displays clearer than VA? I mean, even in the TV space. I was watching a game demo on an LG the the other day that was IPS and it just seemed, i don't know, "clearer" than the other LCDs I've seen. Like, even standing really close to it the pixels seemed so close or something.

I had the exact same thing with my old Kuro, even though that looked great, LCD was very noticeable crisper for PC and gaming.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris is there anything inherent in QD-OLED that would reduce or eliminate BI? I know that's a benefit of Micro but completely understand it's not coming soon.

I suppose that the oleds themselves will be able to run slightly cooler as they will produce more light to start with, but whether they don't stress the sets as much or whether they choose to improve the image quality is another thing.

The other part of the equation is how they are manufactured.
I don't know what performance limits are placed upon the displays that are made with manufacturing techniques designed to reduced cost.
It might be that inkjet based manufacturing (which is what Samsung are going to use for QD) have other thresholds for heat which they will try to avoid.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose that the oleds themselves will be able to run slightly cooler as they will produce more light to start with, but whether they don't stress the sets as much or whether they choose to improve the image quality is another thing.

The other part of the equation is how they are manufactured.
I don't know what performance limits are placed upon the displays that are made with manufacturing techniques designed to reduced cost.
It might be that inkjet based manufacturing (which is what Samsung are going to use for QD) have other thresholds for heat which they will try to avoid.

So nothing in the tech means QDOLED will stop BI, but it might be better?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anything less than HDMI 2.1 for 2020 sets would be a disappointment for any of the major brands' flagship sets.

The four biggest CES news items for Vizio seem to be:
  • They are going to have some OLED sets this year finally. Who the hell knows what the value and quality and peak brightness will be, but competition is competition.
  • Vizio top-end soundbars are getting overhauled with left and right speakers that mechanically move to point upward for Dolby Atmos content. Maybe this is just a silly gimmick or maybe it'll mean some great sound (relatively speaking when it comes to soundbars). Who knows. I'll wait for reviews to see if these are any good.
  • HDR10+ support coming to sets on top of Dolby Vision. A lot of sets you get one or the other, so it'll be nice to have both.
  • The biggest Vizio news of all: 3000 nits peak brightness on the Quantum X sets. 3000 fucking nits on consumer sets! Vizio has been Lord of the Nits since 2018 sitting at about 2000 peak nits for their Quantum 2018 / Quantum X 2019, and this is basically a 50% leap from that.
The gap between the PQ and PQX is widening even more for 2020, to such an extent that consumers are going to have to be careful - non-X 2020 PQs are not the same bang for the buck as PQs from 2018. PQX is going to be what people want. The difference in number of dimming zones and the difference in peak brightness will be so big that they're not really in the same ballpark at all this year (though they both do get VRR up to 120hz at least).

It'll come down to pricing for me. The PQ is good enough for me (1K+ peak/600 fullscreen nits is still great, and 200+ dimming zones on a 65" 4K TV is solid), but if the premium to move up to the PQX is small, I'll pay it.

No one else is going to offer Quantum Dot displays with these features and pricing this year, right?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So nothing in the tech means QDOLED will stop BI, but it might be better?

As I said, they don't need to drive the OLEDs so hard to achieve the same thing, which would result in longer lifespan, but at the same time you've got content that is going to be brighter and more demanding.
I guess time will tell, we are few years off us normals getting one anyway, maybe an 8K variant to go with our mid gen refreshed consoles in a few years time.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

No. I have a 27" 8-bit TN 1440p gaming monitor, a 27" 1440p IPS monitor and a 49" 5120x1440 VA monitor. These are all the same pixels per inch. There is zero difference in image clarity between them. The VA has better contrast though.

TVs generally do more processing so you may see differences there but it has nothing to do with the panel tech itself.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, they don't need to drive the OLEDs so hard to achieve the same thing, which would result in longer lifespan, but at the same time you've got content that is going to be brighter and more demanding.
I guess time will tell, we are few years off us normals getting one anyway, maybe an 8K variant to go with our mid gen refreshed consoles in a few years time.

What do you have now btw?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Now that HDMI 2.1 is becoming real, lets pray for HDMI 2.1 AVRs and maybe even devices (preferably GPUs) that support it so it can actually be tested.