• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
How is The Witcher on Netflix with HDR enabled looking for ya'll? It's probably my TV (Q9FN) because the brightness constantly seems to change, fluctuate. I always get this whenever bright white subtitles appear but now it even happens when no subs are being displayed. Highly distracting.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is The Witcher on Netflix with HDR enabled looking for ya'll? It's probably my TV (Q9FN) because the brightness constantly seems to change, fluctuate. I always get this whenever bright white subtitles appear but now it even happens when no subs are being displayed. Highly distracting.

I have a Samsung frame which has similar screen tech - no issues for me but varying bitrates can strip hdr from some streams mid flow

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I have a Samsung frame which has similar screen tech - no issues for me but varying bitrates can strip hdr from some streams mid flow

I found out what was causing it, really odd but it's the local dimming option. I had it at max and I went one lower (don't know what exactly it's called in English, my TV is set to Dutch after it was repaired and the TV settings won't let me change the language option, I hate that aboit this TV, some settings just greyed out for NO reason)

I believe it's called standard in English. I always have local dimming on high but I guess it'll be standard from now on with HDR shows/movies.

Wish I knew this before I started with The Mandalorian.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I played nearly 200 hours of RDR2 on XBX when it came out with no other game played in between and didn't ever even see image retention.

Burn in takes much much longer than that (in 99% of cases).

Branson honestly it does sounds like taking a step back and just enjoying your TV is the way to go, I still use a X900F sometimes and still think its a fantastic TV even if my main one is a C8.

I'm just about 1000 hours on my B7, plenty of gaming, and a ton of shows /movies / Youtube. Haven't noticed any burn in, but I also stopped checking slides like 400 hours ago. I also never watch news channels like CNN, and my OLED light is never set over 40 for SDR content.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
LG is bringing ATSC 3.0 tuner OLEDs to CES

LG Home Entertainment: Particularly noteworthy for 2020 are two Innovation Awards for one of the industry's first NEXTGEN TVs to be unveiled at CES 2020 – an LG OLED TV incorporating the ATSC 3.0 next-generation standard, co-developed by LG. More details on the award-winning LG entertainment products – including 8K and 4K Ultra HD TVs, audio and computer products and more – will be announced at CES 2020 in January.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
" which delivers perfect black, incredible color and unparalleled high-dynamic range capabilities. "

lmao

unparalled

except the part where peak nits are double or better on other sets.

man i love TVs but god is the marketing almost as bad as US politics.

It's not that bad, it's talking about the range, the difference between the black and the top nits.

Still marketing bullshit, but I wouldn't call it an out and out lie

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
" which delivers perfect black, incredible color and unparalleled high-dynamic range capabilities. "

lmao

unparalled

except the part where peak nits are double or better on other sets.

man i love TVs but god is the marketing almost as bad as US politics.

Yeah, tech marketing bullshit - TVs, consoles, computers, cars, etc - is outrageous

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
So this is weird: ARC was working fine between my C9 and Yamaha AVR earlier today. Turned it all off for a smoke break and when I came back to watch something else I had no sound.

Turns out for some reason unplugging my set-top box is the only thing that gets ARC working anymore.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any affordable 4(minimum)x2 HDMI matrices out there that support 4K at 60fps with 10bit+ HDR (IE HDMI 2.0 or 2.1) in and out? I can't trust what the specs on the myriad of devices on Amazon say.

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
hey guys im using a tcl 65R613 and i noticed whenever i use the netflix or spotify app on my pc my tv will go black for a sec like its changing resolutions and then the screen will go entirely all staticy until it disapears after a minute or I unplug the hdmi cord...any idea what is up that?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. I'm finally getting around to doing the picture calibration on my X900F and I'm reading the settings suggested by RTINGs. For a couple things, namely "Color" and "Sharpness" they say they left them at the default settings of "50". But on my TV, the default is 60. Should I leave them at 60?

Edit: okay, it looks like 50 is the default on some HDMI inputs but not the one my cable box is hooked up to. Which is HDMI 1.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
As I sit here I wonder how close we are to someone making a TV as bright as that 10,000 nit monster we saw at CES 2018 from Sony. I want my eyes to melt damnit!

Moreso than that I'm anxious to get a micro LED TV. Ideally I'd want one for 2021 to connect to my PS5, but I short of a miracle I don't think anything will be remotely reasonably priced by then. I know a rumor is that Samsung is waiting until after CES to decide on their mass production route. Sony's Crystal LED tech seems nifty but still super expensive. I wonder how long until we hear about their next evolution of the tech. Any other players coming into that field we should keep an eye on?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is HDR pointless if the TV cannot get bright enough and/or lacks wide color gamut? I want to get a decent 4k set for my family in the Philippines but buying the right TV there seems to be extremely difficult. Compared to here in the US, choices seem to be extremely limited. You either pay not much for what seems to be really low end TVs (or unknown-to-me chinese brands), or overpay significantly for the obvious high end ones (like an LG OLED). I also can't use a site like rtings since none of the TV models seem to match up.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Would now be an absolutely bad time to buy a new TV? I know next gen consoles are a year away, but I'm not entirely sure how that relates to whichever new TVs are on the way. What truly significant change would the newer TVs from 2020 offer for gaming? I don't expect any 8K games next gen, so my guess is new HDMI? But what would this new HDMI do? Anything very noticeable?

I'm asking because I'm currently looking at 3 TVs under $1,000 in no particular order:

Sony X950G
Sony X850G
Samsung Q70
TCL 6 Series

I've never owned a TCL before, I'm more used to Sony and Samsung. One thing I should mention is I hate crushed blacks in games, and I know this problem is more prevalent with some TV brands than others. I've noticed it more on Samsung TVs I've owned, but I thought the Q70 display looked very good.

Are there any other TVs I should be looking at that are under $1,000? I just want the one that is the most future-proof out of these, since I expect to use it (at least for awhile) with the PS5 as well. The room I'll have this TV in isn't huge by the way, so I'd prefer a TV that is 49-55 inch.

Thanks.
Yeah bad time to buy. Next year's models will have HDMI 2.1 so might as well get that instead unless you regularly upgrade your TV.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have a problem with the C9 I recently bought.

I CAN'T STOP WATCHING HDR CONTENT ON IT.

Damn it, what a difference, best piece of tech I bought in a while.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
?

Does the color red look awful on OLED? No definitely not

I heard it looks "orange" more than red

lol what the?

HDTVtest is the only youtube channel you should watch for TVs. Lots of FUD out there from LCD owners about OLED.

If you heard it from this retarded clown "quantum tv" then just forget what you heard.

Yeah exaclty it comes from quantum TV, i watched some video, sometimes he seems to say bullshit, sometimes what he says seem to me reliable.
Is he on this forum too ? I will not call him like that, for me. And he's right when he says to be careful and not trust every channel (conflict of interest)
But as i can not test my self all the TV, i ask people here and there !

He seems to like Qled, maybe he's also paid by samsung, but like i said he made some interesting video about Sony A8G beeing for him the best Oled in term of colours quality, not motion or gaming. He likes Q8FN but warned about Q80R/Q90R which are not as good as previous TV 2018

I would like to see a debate between those channel and their arguments, so i could settle my opinion

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah exaclty it comes from quantum TV, i watched some video, sometimes he seems to say bullshit, sometimes what he says seem to me reliable.
Is he on this forum too ? I will not call him like that, for me. And he's right when he says to be careful and not trust every channel (conflict of interest)

He seems to like Qled, maybe he's also paid by samsung, but like i said he made some interesting video about Sony A8G beeing for him the best Oled in term of colours quality, not motion or gaming. He likes Q8FN but warned about Q80R/Q90R which are not as good as previous TV 2018

I would like to see a debate between those channel and their arguments, so i could settle my opinion

Both OLED and LCD can both be calibrated exactly the be the shade of red they are meant to be displaying.
No issues.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Red looks red as fuck on an OLED, same as in any other TV.

The difference between HDTvtest and QuantumTV is that Vincent Teoh from HDTVtest is a very well respected TV calibrator that proved to be very knowleadge about TV tech and their manufacturers, and isn't know to be a fanboy of any type of TV/manufacturer.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Both OLED and LCD can both be calibrated exactly the be the shade of red they are meant to be displaying.
No issues.
Red looks red as fuck on an OLED, same as in any other TV.

The difference between HDTvtest and QuantumTV is that Vincent Teoh from HDTVtest is a very well respected TV calibrator that proved to be very knowleadge about TV tech and their manufacturers, and isn't know to be a fanboy of any type of TV/manufacturer.

Not sure but he might talk about LG C8 calibration, but i'm glad you can calibrate to get good color accuracy without professionnal tools ?

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Maybe in some points he is right. But his opinion about things can change in a few weeks or months. At the moment he says Sony colors are the best, dynamic tone mapping is the best, BY A MILE, LG OLED having no chance against Sony OLEDs, blablabla. I guess because he said he got the Sony AG8 for a very good price. And back in the days he said something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-9tHdnY5k&feature=youtu.be&t=145

He calls himself a professional calibrator, but i haven't seen any kind of results what so ever on his "reviews". Maybe he has multiply personality disorder, but i think he just wants attention.
I mean look how many videos he is making. He heards or sees something and he makes a video of it. No matter how stupid it is.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure but he might talk about LG C8 calibration, but i'm glad you can calibrate to get good color accuracy without professionnal tools ?

My C8 isn't calibrated, red still red, I dont know where this orange stuff comes, where is his proof¿? he doesn't show his calibrations and such. Plenty of sites like HDTvtests or Rtings has done tests and calibrations and no one came with this red is orange stuff.

Look at some of his comparison videos, he just puts one TV side by side and says how much better one of them looks, we don't know anything about these comparisons, settings , calibrations.. let alone you can't do such a comparison by just looking at a Youtube video.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is HDR pointless if the TV cannot get bright enough and/or lacks wide color gamut? I want to get a decent 4k set for my family in the Philippines but buying the right TV there seems to be extremely difficult. Compared to here in the US, choices seem to be extremely limited. You either pay not much for what seems to be really low end TVs (or unknown-to-me chinese brands), or overpay significantly for the obvious high end ones (like an LG OLED). I also can't use a site like rtings since none of the TV models seem to match up.
Anyone?

His channel is pure bullshit.
Quantum TV was the channel that said that the new firmware that came out for the Samsung KS lineup introduced significant improvements to picture quality. I couldn't tell the difference with my TV pre vs post update.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My C8 isn't calibrated, red still red, I dont know where this orange stuff comes, where is his proof¿? he doesn't show his calibrations and such. Plenty of sites like HDTvtests or Rtings has done tests and calibrations and no one came with this red is orange stuff.

Look at some of his comparison videos, he just puts one TV side by side and says how much better one of them looks, we don't know anything about these comparisons, settings , calibrations.. let alone you can do such a comparison by just looking at a Youtube video.

Exactly. And many people are like "oh man, you are right, this looks so awesome". ROFL. This is beyond stupidity.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

In order to get colour accuracy , you have to calibrate with professional tools.
But what both HDTV test and other sites like RTINGS have found is that the LG OLEDs are generally closer to being "accurate" than the Samsung QLEDs before calibration is performed.

So if you have no intention of having a calibration performed, then you have to be aware there will always be a degree of inaccuracy , but to what extent will vary between manufacturers.
Will you see this inaccuracy? Possibly not.
You might even prefer the inaccurate image.

The best option of this bothers you at all, is to simply factor in the cost of calibration (or the tools to do so) into your purchase.
A lot of people (including myself) find it such a relief to know that the set is calibrated and is the best it can be, if things don't look right, then that is just how it looks!You don't need to constantly change settings because you aren't sure if it's too bright, or too dark or too colourful, it will be correct.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe in some points he is right. But his opinion about things can change in a few weeks or months. At the moment he says Sony colors are the best, dynamic tone mapping is the best, BY A MILE, LG OLED having no chance against Sony OLEDs, blablabla. I guess because he said he got the Sony AG8 for a very good price. And back in the days he said something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-9tHdnY5k&feature=youtu.be&t=145

He calls himself a professional calibrator, but i haven't seen any kind of results what so ever on his "reviews". Maybe he has multiply personality disorder, but i think he just wants attention.
I mean look how many videos he is making. He heards or sees something and he makes a video of it. No matter how stupid it is.

He is a liar, unfortunately in the past I've ended up watching quite a few of his videos, winding myself up lol, there is no fucking way the stuff he does to his TV's, indicates he's a pro calibrator, it's embarrassing honestly! I mean according to him, to get an accurate picture on an LG OLED, you have to turn on eye comfort mode...........:0

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He is a liar, unfortunately in the past I've ended up watching quite a few of his videos, winding myself up lol, there is no fucking way the stuff he does to his TV's, indicates he's a pro calibrator, it's embarrassing honestly! I mean according to him, to get an accurate picture on an LG OLED, you have to turn on eye comfort mode...........:0

WTF, hahaha.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I think I saw one where he was demonstrating how putting sunglasses in front of his camera lens made the HDR picture better.

It's not entirely pointless , as even if the display with a lower peak brightness can still display a wider variety of colours.
This will benefit movie content, which is often outside of the range of a non HDR compatible display.
For games, they rarely use this so it is pointless.
In theory the 10bit image might be able to show an image with slightly less banding, but if it's a budget set , then the chances are that the processing isn't the best to make that difference noticeable.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

His channel is trash and full of misinformation, not only about OLED but also about any LCD he doesn't personally like.

So no, nothing from his channel is worth debating here at all.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I think I saw one where he was demonstrating how putting sunglasses in front of his camera lens made the HDR picture better.

It's not entirely pointless , as even if the display with a lower peak brightness can still display a wider variety of colours.
This will benefit movie content, which is often outside of the range of a non HDR compatible display.
For games, they rarely use this so it is pointless.
In theory the 10bit image might be able to show an image with slightly less banding, but if it's a budget set , then the chances are that the processing isn't the best to make that difference noticeable.

Chances that next gen makes more use of WCG?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Chances that next gen makes more use of WCG?

I think we are a way off still, the biggest limiting factor are the tools to work with the assets.

Just as a basic thing , Photoshop for example doesn't support an HDR output.

That's not to say that games don't have any WCG elements, the rendering and lighting pipelines operate within a larger colour space, so colours that fall outside of WCG can be created simply by one light source of one colour interacting with a surface of a different colour

ppn7

May 4, 2019

Wow that's was my feeling too ! I saw a video where he told that HDR was bullshit, because it has washed color on his Sony LCD forget the model maybe X900 somthing like that. Then another video he says HDR is fantastic on its QLED...

Look at some of his comparison videos, he just puts one TV side by side and says how much better one of them looks, we don't know anything about these comparisons, settings , calibrations.. let alone you can't do such a comparison by just looking at a Youtube video.

Your right he never talk about delta colour or anything else, i mean i didn't see all his videos so...

In order to get colour accuracy , you have to calibrate with professional tools.
But what both HDTV test and other sites like RTINGS have found is that the LG OLEDs are generally closer to being "accurate" than the Samsung QLEDs before calibration is performed.

So if you have no intention of having a calibration performed, then you have to be aware there will always be a degree of inaccuracy , but to what extent will vary between manufacturers.
Will you see this inaccuracy? Possibly not.
You might even prefer the inaccurate image.

The best option of this bothers you at all, is to simply factor in the cost of calibration (or the tools to do so) into your purchase.
A lot of people (including myself) find it such a relief to know that the set is calibrated and is the best it can be, if things don't look right, then that is just how it looks!You don't need to constantly change settings because you aren't sure if it's too bright, or too dark or too colourful, it will be correct.

I'm not a professionnal and i don't think i will bother details like colour accuracy. I used to enjoy my old Samsung TN S24D340H panel, even with the bad angle, i used to put night filter with windows 10, i prefer to save my eyes, and protect from eye strain. So i think Oled will be find for me. Never tested yet but i think i rather enjoy the dark scene details (oled) instead of highlight (QLED) cause i mostly use low brightness in dark room

His channel is trash and full of misinformation, not only about OLED but also about any LCD he doesn't personally like.

So no, nothing from his channel is worth debating here at all.

At least someway he's funny :)

ppn7

May 4, 2019

You probably talk about this moment right ?

From what i can see, i prefer the eye confort mode, but i don't know about colour accuracy, and what he really can see behind the camera and in front of both TV.

And here talking about Q8FN nits :
https://youtu.be/dDKiUdghVXk?t=146

Or here about the C8 nits lower than what RTings got on the review :

Last edited:

Telecinision

Aug 22, 2018
I think Dolby Vision 4.0 might be a big marketing push for CES, but personally I'm not too excited. I rarely see colorists doing trims for anything other than a 100 nit SDR layer. The nice thing is that you might start seeing better dialed in SDR versions of DoVi content with the additional settings for trim values, but if you have a TV with Dolby Vision, chances are you're going to want to watch the HDR version anyway. The global mid-tone offset control they added might be interesting, must be a feature that colorists were asking for.