• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I haven't bought a TV in ages - my current 40" Samsung was a hand-me-down from a friend moving countries. But it's having issues and I moved houses since so I'd kinda like something bigger and newer. The Samsung QE65Q64R appeals to me because it's a) affordable-ish, b) really flat and c) I'm generally happy with my current Samsung (tho it's really fond of crashing the Netflix app). And my better half would probably like the ambient mode option. Reading the OP, 65" is a good size considering the distance between wall and couch in my current house. But it'd be also nice if this new tv is PS5-proof. This is me when it comes to TVs:

hqdefault.jpg

Would this TV be fine for next gen? And is it a good deal for $1300/€1200?

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I haven't bought a TV in ages - my current 40" Samsung was a hand-me-down from a friend moving countries. But it's having issues and I moved houses since so I'd kinda like something bigger and newer. The Samsung QE65Q64R appeals to me because it's a) affordable-ish, b) really flat and c) I'm generally happy with my current Samsung (tho it's really fond of crashing the Netflix app). And my better half would probably like the ambient mode option. Reading the OP, 65" is a good size considering the distance between wall and couch in my current house. But it'd be also nice if this new tv is PS5-proof. This is me when it comes to TVs:

hqdefault.jpg

A good deal? Not really, no. Assuming that is the US Q60 I saw it in best buy for 1500 in the 75 inch and more importantly the picture quality was not very good. I feel if you're spending over a grand, the quality should be amazing.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It still messes up color and brightness for some games in SDR. Probably those that don't run in exclusive fullscreen.

Basically everything gets converted to HDR, setting the brightness to the lowest setting gives the best results. If you set it higher you'll see it bump up the saturation, or at least it used to be like that

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Basically everything gets converted to HDR, setting the brightness to the lowest setting gives the best results. If you set it higher you'll see it bump up the saturation, or at least it used to be like that
Something like that. I end up just disabling Windows' HDR when I don't need it. Just got used to the hassle lol

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Just set up my Apple TV, very happy with it so far. Just a couple of questions (using a C9):

I want the Apple TV to turn on the TV when I turn it on, but I don't want the TV to turn on the Apple TV. Any way to do this?

Am I right in thinking that I won't benefit from Dolby Atmos if I'm just using stereo speakers and it's better to set audio to stereo?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up two TCL 50 inch screens for Xmas gifts this year. May they are so low in price!

4K, HDR, local dimming... Geesh

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Just set up my Apple TV, very happy with it so far. Just a couple of questions (using a C9):

I want the Apple TV to turn on the TV when I turn it on, but I don't want the TV to turn on the Apple TV. Any way to do this?

Am I right in thinking that I won't benefit from Dolby Atmos if I'm just using stereo speakers and it's better to set audio to stereo?

The ATV will always turn on when you turn on the TV. I don't think there's a way around that.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a Sony 900F and am loving it so far! Really great picture and Dolby Vision is a revelation.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
If that's a variant of the Q60R, you might want to look at the Sony XF9005 or whatever it's called in your region. Seems to score better in every area in the rtings comparison tool: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q60r-vs-sony-x900f/780/585?usage=7318&threshold=0.1

In terms of next gen the potential is there for support of HDMI 2.1. Neither of these TV's support this and the only ones that currently do are the LG OLED's

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Had a quick question.

Has anybody experienced their TV exhibiting input lag out of nowhere?

I have aTCL, and it has been good with input lag.

All of sudden today, I input lag in all my games on PS4. I haven't changed any settings on the tv or the PS4. Tried multiple controllers.

I don't know if I should factory reset the tv. It's so odd.

I don't have another tv to test the PS4 on though.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Had a quick question.

Has anybody experienced their TV exhibiting input lag out of nowhere?

I have aTCL, and it has been good with input lag.

All of sudden today, I input lag in all my games on PS4. I haven't changed any settings on the tv or the PS4. Tried multiple controllers.

I don't know if I should factory reset the tv. It's so odd.

I don't have another tv to test the PS4 on though.

Did either your TCL or your PS4 get a software update today?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would now be an absolutely bad time to buy a new TV? I know next gen consoles are a year away, but I'm not entirely sure how that relates to whichever new TVs are on the way. What truly significant change would the newer TVs from 2020 offer for gaming? I don't expect any 8K games next gen, so my guess is new HDMI? But what would this new HDMI do? Anything very noticeable?

I'm asking because I'm currently looking at 3 TVs under $1,000 in no particular order:

Sony X950G
Sony X850G
Samsung Q70
TCL 6 Series

I've never owned a TCL before, I'm more used to Sony and Samsung. One thing I should mention is I hate crushed blacks in games, and I know this problem is more prevalent with some TV brands than others. I've noticed it more on Samsung TVs I've owned, but I thought the Q70 display looked very good.

Are there any other TVs I should be looking at that are under $1,000? I just want the one that is the most future-proof out of these, since I expect to use it (at least for awhile) with the PS5 as well. The room I'll have this TV in isn't huge by the way, so I'd prefer a TV that is 49-55 inch.

Thanks.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
This is the way

Playing HDR games on PC is def a hassle. Gotta change color space back every time too. But its better than leaving HDR on all the time.

Literally the only reason I'm interested in consoles next gen. PC and HDR is a joke. My PC has better specs than my PS4 Pro by a long shot, but there's been times I bought a game on console vs the PC simply for better HDR support.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
If that's a variant of the Q60R, you might want to look at the Sony XF9005 or whatever it's called in your region. Seems to score better in every area in the rtings comparison tool: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q60r-vs-sony-x900f/780/585?usage=7318&threshold=0.1

In terms of next gen the potential is there for support of HDMI 2.1. Neither of these TV's support this and the only ones that currently do are the LG OLED's

Hahaha, I had never heard of HDMI 2.1. Thanks for pointing that out. Tho that severely limits the amount of models to pick from, it also means spending a lot more. Food for thought.

A good deal? Not really, no. Assuming that is the US Q60 I saw it in best buy for 1500 in the 75 inch and more importantly the picture quality was not very good. I feel if you're spending over a grand, the quality should be amazing.

I see. Thanks. Gotta do a bit more research, then.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Also, does anyone know how soon after new CES announcements do we see 2020 TVs hitting the consumer market?
Very late March into early April stuff starts to pop up here and there, more widely available into May usually
Would now be an absolutely bad time to buy a new TV? I know next gen consoles are a year away, but I'm not entirely sure how that relates to whichever new TVs are on the way. What truly significant change would the newer TVs from 2020 offer for gaming? I don't expect any 8K games next gen, so my guess is new HDMI? But what would this new HDMI do? Anything very noticeable?

I'm asking because I'm currently looking at 3 TVs under $1,000 in no particular order:

Sony X950G
Sony X850G
Samsung Q70
TCL 6 Series

I've never owned a TCL before, I'm more used to Sony and Samsung. One thing I should mention is I hate crushed blacks in games, and I know this problem is more prevalent with some TV brands than others. I've noticed it more on Samsung TVs I've owned, but I thought the Q70 display looked very good.

Are there any other TVs I should be looking at that are under $1,000? I just want the one that is the most future-proof out of these, since I expect to use it (at least for awhile) with the PS5 as well. The room I'll have this TV in isn't huge by the way, so I'd prefer a TV that is 49-55 inch.

Thanks.
If you look at Camel Camel Camel or Greentoe for whatever sets you're looking at, from a price perspective, it is the opposite of a bad time to buy. Generally lowest prices of the year.

that said more models next year will have more HDMI 2.1 ports and support VRR. Others can comment on the specifics of the models you're looking at, but if you're on a video game forum and not planning to buy a TV with 2.1 and VRR (as long as it's within your budget/price range), I'm not sure if it's the wisest move....

We could argue benefits of resolution, HDR etc but I don't think it's overselling to say that VRR has the potential to be as impactful as the move to HD in terms of gaming experience.

E: I see some others hopped in as well. I think anytime you buy a set it's important to identify the person you are. If you're gonna "buy and hold" for five plus years, either be patient until the right feature set is affordable or find a way to expand budget a bit. If you're an every two to three year person, I'd worry a lot less about those things.

Hell we were having conversations in the GAF equivalent of this thread years ago about the potential of 2.1 and people at that time were like "oh I'll wait" and if they had, it would've been an extra two to three years.

All depends on what type of purchaser you are.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
So can someone tell me what the big deal of VRR is so I can be even more depressed I bought a 900f this year and now it's obsolete with no chance of affording an upgrade within the next couple of years so I can hate myself more

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
950G got the android update last night. Works as expected and I didn't have any calibration issues because I hadn't calibrated it yet. Going to go through that this weekend, hopefully. I wish I had a colorimeter, but it's a lot of money for something I won't use for more than a couple of TVs, ever.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
There is no evidence it even will be a big deal. Enjoy your TV.
Yeah, with how well developers have used resolution scaling this gen and possible foveted rendering technique coming into play we may see a bunch of 60 fps locked games. Until I see otherwise with next gen consoles i think vrr will be a bigger deal for PC where you can push a game to 120 fps. I don't think console developers will tailor their games early on in the new console cycle to a small number on people who own HDMI 2.1 TV's. I don't see a response going well for a game that is jumping between 40 and 60 fps. Mid cycle refresh could change things but this is still 4 to 5 years away.

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I agree that I'm not sure VRR will be a huge deal for console games next gen yet. PC games? Sure.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a Sony X900F. Great looking TV for a decent price. Are there any settings guides I should glance at?

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a Vizio PQ65 ? There was a recent-ish firmware update adding hbr10 support. So whenever there is a black background with white (like credits), there is really annoying flickering going on. This doesn't happen with regular HDR or Dolby Vision. Is this an issue with my set, or a known issue with Vizios? It's really annoying.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
Anyone have any experience with TCL?
Square trade is sending me 55" TCL series five to replace my 2 year old tcl I bought from Costco. Glad I had square trade. They didn't even want to send a tech out to try and fix . They are simply replacing my current TV with a brand new TCL. Couldn't believe it honestly.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Square trade is sending me 55" TCL series five to replace my 2 year old tcl I bought from Costco. Glad I had square trade. They didn't even want to send a tech out to try and fix . They are simply replacing my current TV with a brand new TCL. Couldn't believe it honestly.
TCL's are amazing sets, assuming you get a series 5 or 6. Since you're getting a 5, you're going to love it. Quality is decent, HDR and Dolby Vision support as well. They review well to boot. All my TVs, minus the Sammy I was sent are TCL 5 and 6's.

The only thing I'm not a fan of are the remotes. They are terrible, hard to replace and universals are hit and miss. Hate them.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

What TCL did you have?

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Yea, it's still doing it. Hooked up my Xbox One to it and played some KI.

I dug up my old trusty LG and hooked my PS4. Plays perfect.

I tried all 3 HDMI ports. must just factory reset my TV and see if that helps.

So I factory reset my set and turned game mode back on. Input lag is back to normal. It's so weird. I don't know if an update caused it. I'm not connecting the tv to the internet though now.

Oh, to Nowherefaded, I have a TCL 5 series. It's great for the price. The picture is pretty decent (black levels are lacking though).

Most important to me though, the input lag is pretty good, which I need for fighting games. Almost as good as my LG set from 4 years ago (not as good as a gaming monitor of course).

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
So I factory reset my set and turned game mode back on. Input lag is back to normal. It's so weird. I don't know if an update caused it. I'm not connecting the tv to the internet though now.

Oh, to Nowherefaded, I have a TCL 5 series. It's great for the price. The picture is pretty decent (black levels are lacking though).

Most important to me though, the input lag is pretty good, which I need for fighting games. Almost as good as my LG set from 4 years ago (not as good as a gaming monitor of course).

Glad to hear it's fixed. Very weird.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
Isn't the 8 series a better model than the 5 though? Why is square trade not replacing with the same quality?
I don't think it is an 8 series
Basically I paid $350 at Costco in 2017 and square trade will replace it with something equivalent. They give you a choice between TVs. I had the option of 3. They were all garbage, bottom tier. I sent an email saying I was unhappy with my choices . I then got sent the option for the 5 series and I jumped on it. That was as good as it was going to get imo. The 5 series has Dolby Vision and low Imput latency so I'm happy.
I'm really surprised square trade didn't send a tech out to try and fix my current tcl. The problem I was getting was no picture with sound. It's happened a few times and figured I better call it in.