• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I've given up on my Sony x800m2. It was great at first, but I can't play a damn 4K disc without it locking up at some point. It seems the Sony X700 also was plagued by this issue with many online complaining about it.

I still have my LG UBK90 around and am plugging it back in. I was unhappy with it because of raised blacks in Dolby Vision and not being able to disable upscaling in order to let the TV handle it. But at least it never froze on a disc. I think I'll just lower the brightness to 48 for DV and just not worry about it anymore.

Or maybe splurge for a Panny 820. Hmmm...

Just move brightness down 1 notch, it seems there is variation from panel to panel in regards to where 0 black actually is when playing DV over HDMI, for some bizarre reason.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Just move brightness down 1 notch, it seems there is variation from panel to panel in regards to where 0 black actually is when playing DV over HDMI, for some bizarre reason.

Well with mine, I'm pretty sure it is 48. I have tried 49 and I can still detect noise in letterbox bars in some scenes.

There is still something that doesn't sit right with me about this though. I have always noticed and I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed that the raised black bug isn't constant when watching DV. It will be present in one scene but then everything will be perfectly black in a subsequent scene. It almost seems random. There could be long stretches of a film where at the default of 50 brightness you are still getting true black.

My question then is what happens to scenes where the bug does not manifest itself and you have lowered the brightness to 48? Isn't something being thrown off there?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Well with mine, I'm pretty sure it is 48. I have tried 49 and I can still detect noise in letterbox bars in some scenes.

There is still something that doesn't sit right with me about this though. I have always noticed and I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed that the raised black bug isn't constant when watching DV. It will be present in one scene but then everything will be perfectly black in a subsequent scene. It almost seems random. There could be long stretches of a film where at the default of 50 brightness you are still getting true black.

My question then is what happens to scenes where the bug does not manifest itself and you have lowered the brightness to 48? Isn't something being thrown off there?

Well if that was actually the case it might, but for me EVERY film I've played has grey letterbox bars, so it must be across the board over HDMI, and the calibrator confirmed that brightness level is just in the wrong place.

Trouble is people are talking about a crushed DV problem over HDMI and streaming too, but can't say I've noticed that lol, goes on and on all this.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Well if that was actually the case it might, but for me EVERY film I've played has grey letterbox bars, so it must be across the board over HDMI.

Trouble is people are talking about a crushed DV problem over HDMI and streaming too, but can't say I've noticed that lol, goes on and on all this.

I just think DV is a mess to be honest. I almost prefer HDR with LG's dynamic tone mapping on these sets. When it is working correctly DV is great but it often does not.

Just look at Sabrina on Netflix. Show is almost too dark to function.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I just think DV is a mess to be honest. I almost prefer HDR with LG's dynamic tone mapping on these sets. When it is working correctly DV is great but it often does not.

Just look at Sabrina on Netflix. Show is almost too dark to function.
Try using DV Game instead of DV Cinema preset. Just copy DV Cinema settings into it.

It's much brighter, still accurate.
No issues with black levels so far on my B7.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
FrankNitty Had the 3D LUT on my C8 done via Lightspace, interestingly he didn't want to do HDR as you can only do a 1D LUT (so kept my manual calibration) which would screw a lot of stuff up......not the end of the world as HDR game at least uses the correct colour space, unlike SDR game, which now looks fantastic with true rec709 finally!!

Zack

Jan 25, 2019
California
Looking forward to the review of the TCL 55R625 from RTings. That'll determine whether or not to pick it up, and considering how long it usually takes for them to turn around a review, it should be just around Black Friday time (or at least the holiday sale period).

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Disregarding any unforeseen new features or significant upgrades in panel uniformity or brightness, is theoretically upgrading from a 7-series to a 9-series LG OLED in the next few months a pretty safe bet? The C9 pretty much checks all of the boxes without having any glaring flaws or omissions right? HDMI 2.1, much improved Game Mode + a low-latency mode in all picture modes, and now upcoming GSYNC support. It seems like the sort of TV that isn't going to be that much worse than the 10 or maybe even 11-series displays, but I also don't know enough to know if that's actually the case.
This is my question too if anyone knows as I'm in the market for a second TV. I currently have the TCL R617 which I do like a lot and wouldn't mind getting the 2019 product from them. However, it sounds like the C9 is a lot more future proof, especially with next-gen consoles a little over a year away.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
FrankNitty Had the 3D LUT on my C8 done via Lightspace, interestingly he didn't want to do HDR as you can only do a 1D LUT (so kept my manual calibration) which would screw a lot of stuff up......not the end of the world as HDR game at least uses the correct colour space, unlike SDR game, which now looks fantastic with true rec709 finally!!
Interesting. So in Lightspace you can only do 1D LUT in HDR. That is one benefit to Calman I guess then as you can do a 3D LUT on any mode. Though it requires some work to get it right. LUT calibration is the way to go for sure. I wish more companies implemented direct LUT calibration. My dream would be a combination of LUT calibration with Sony's application of calibrated SDR modes being the base for HDR

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. So in Lightspace you can only do 1D LUT in HDR. That is one benefit to Calman I guess then as you can do a 3D LUT on any mode. Though it requires some work to get it right. LUT calibration is the way to go for sure. I wish more companies implemented direct LUT calibration. My dream would be a combination of LUT calibration with Sony's application of calibrated SDR modes being the base for HDR

Yeah it's a little disappointing that HDR game hasn't been done, as that's the only mode that hasn't had a calibration now, but that's how it is and it's not like I notice anything wrong with HDR game anyway as it looks pretty accurate and measured well as is, seeing SDR game with DE 1 across the board was nice though :)

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Looking forward to the review of the TCL 55R625 from RTings. That'll determine whether or not to pick it up, and considering how long it usually takes for them to turn around a review, it should be just around Black Friday time (or at least the holiday sale period).

So Costco suddenly finally gets the 6 series but it's the "65R613"? https://www.costco.com/TCL-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-UHD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100515334.html

That's last year's model isn't it? Why would they suddenly pick that up now as soon as the new one comes out.

Zack

Jan 25, 2019
California
So Costco suddenly finally gets the 6 series but it's the "65R613"? https://www.costco.com/TCL-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-UHD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100515334.html

That's last year's model isn't it? Why would they suddenly pick that up now as soon as the new one comes out.

Yes, I saw that, and it's a good question, considering they're usually ahead of the curve. I guess they're testing the waters to see if it'll sell there (the new model is only in a couple places atm, regardless).

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any substantial updates expected for 2020 TVs that are compelling enough to suggest that people hold off right now?

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
anyone here have the h9f? there aren't many posts about it despite the amazing review it got from rtings.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Had the C9 for 3 weeks now. its been a struggle deciding on keeping it or going with the 75" Vizio P Quantum X. Problem is there are no Vizios in my area where i can see it in person. I would have to blind purchase it on Costcos website. They are the same price essentially for me so that's what makes this a hard decision.

Oled
- loving the deep blacks. What more can you say.
- Colors are natural looking
- Features, futureproofing, great remote, works well with the interface
- Great input lag, I don't notice it at all.
- gaming is surprisingly decent, I expected it to be bad going from my friends B6 which was 60hz but 30fps content just had so much blur

- I think about the brightness a lot.
- HDR looks great but specular highlights can definitely be brighter. I want the sun to blind me.
- 65" is a tad small, for the last 3 years I told myself my next tv would definitely be a 75"

The Vizio is the brightest tv there is, its got great black levels but just not quite as good as OLED. All my knowledge on the tv is just Youtube. Input lag seems like its not the best, only one hdmi port has low latency mode and you lose HDR. Its 26 ms which I'm not sure how good that is tbh.

I know I'm going to keep the OLED at this point but I wish I could see the Vizio in person.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Hdmi 2.1 and vrr (freesync/gsync) could be game changers. I'm holding off to see what next gen consoles and nvidias 30 series support
Doesn't the C9 have Hdmi 2.1 and vrr?

The reason I would hold off buying the 9-range LG is by the time HDMI 2.1 features become prevalent it will cost a damn lot less to buy.

Ah so by holding off a bit, I could probably swoop up a C9 with a nice discount. Did I get that right?

But besides costs, I wouldn't be missing any features?

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
We do not know how the 2.1 on the 9 series actually functions since there isn't any real 2.1 sources. I know they had some issues already with eARC but not certain if that was resolved yet or not. Also manufactures of Displays, GPU's and consoles will need to determine that is being used for VRR etc. Ex. LG is adding GSync via firmware for VRR which is great so LG C9 will be able to support Gsync and HDMI Forum VRR.

If any issues are present in current 9 series that are not known due to no HDMI 2.1 sources hopefully it will be worked out in next series, unless issue isn't uncovered until then.

That is just the VRR portion if you consider everything they added new to the 9 series who knows what else may need to be refined. I personally had always planned on skipping the 9 series anyways as I'm hoping for larger sizes, and refinement of the new features.

We won't know of the possible new features until it comes closer to CES however.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I've seen enough posts in this thread about "wait for HDMI 2.1/VRR" to make me doubt the LG C9's 2.1/VRR support. Do people just not realize the C9 has HDMI 2.1 already? Or is the support half-baked or something??

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen enough posts in this thread about "wait for HDMI 2.1/VRR" to make me doubt the LG C9's 2.1/VRR support. Do people just not realize the C9 has HDMI 2.1 already? Or is the support half-baked or something??

I think some people are saying you should wait for consoles to support it , but fail to acknowledge we already have consoles and TVs that do support it .

Which makes me think it's just people who are waiting for a preferred brand or budget price point.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I think some people are saying you should wait for consoles to support it , but fail to acknowledge we already have consoles and TVs that do support it .

Which makes me think it's just people who are waiting for a preferred brand or budget price point.
We have consoles that support specific parts of 2.1, well actually just Xbox One X. It is jot full 2.1 bandwidth. By HDMI spec they can say they support 2.1 VRR and ALLM which is why people think the xbox is 2.1. It however is not. You can read the EDID and see that it is still 2.0b bandwidth.

That's why I mentioned earlier we do jot have real 2.1 sources. Meaning we have no source that is full band6that supports entire spec.

LG's implementation is probably fine but no way of fully knowing until we have a source that is 2.1 as well. I remember when they went from 9600 to 9500 series and added in various HDR over HDMI etc. Was all sorts of a mess because it was half baked. They have gotten better though and they was a long time ago. Though you can look back just to the 7 series and see when they added DTM how that turned out. I mean tied to dynamic contrast lol. Plus they had features listed for the 9 series that mysteriously went missing lol.

The way I see it is if someone wants a 9 series go for it. If they have reservations on it because it's close to next model year wait see what comes out and decide then, 9 series or 10 series.

No reason not to get a 9 though.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I for one do not trust LG to have not ballsed up somehow. There is no way to future proof yourself with new technology until there exists a way to test full compatibility. We need to wait for the new generation of consoles.

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Yeah the c9 is the most appealing, potentially future proof tv out right now but the 65" is currently 2500 on Amazon and I think that if next gen consoles support 2.1 (high framerates and vrr), and nvidia allows high framerate+resolution+hdr+ gsync via 2.1, more tvs will adopt the features and drive the price down. Also, the c9 is the first to do all this so it might be a bit buggy. How many hdmi 2.1 ports does the c9 have? I'd like at least 3.

Waiting will give you more options and drive the price down/give more features but you'd probably be ok getting a c9 now if you're willing to pay for it.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with holygeesus on not buying 1st gen technology. If your main concern with HDMI 2.1 is next gen consoles, you might as well wait for the C10 and whatever incremental improvements it has over the C9. Plus, by this time next year the C10 will be cheaper than the C9 is right now.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
It's good. Definitely an upgrade from a standard theater and the surround sound is impressive, if a bit loud, but if you own an OLED the image quality isn't going to blow you away.
Agreed.

Dolby Cinema blacks are better than standard projection, but they are nowhere near OLED. The overall image is brighter than standard projection too. This is really good for 3D presentations which I've always found way too dim. I saw Alita in Dolby 3D and was impressed. It was the best 3D experience I've had.

My biggest gripe with Dolby Cinema is that they don't use masking. In a regular screen at AMC, the screen is 1.85.1 and if the main presentation is scope the screen will then widen at the sides and shrink at the top to perfectly fit the image. Dolby doesn't even attempt this. 2.35:1 films are shown with black bars at top and bottom.

The reason this bugs me is that once you are used to OLED you notice these when more when they are not pitch black. It is a constant reminder that in Dolby Cinema that blacks are just an even darker shade of great. If they would use masking that flaw wouldn't draw so much attention to itself.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

Dolby Cinema blacks are better than standard projection, but they are nowhere near OLED. The overall image is brighter than standard projection too. This is really good for 3D presentations which I've always found way too dim. I saw Alita in Dolby 3D and was impressed. It was the best 3D experience I've had.

My biggest gripe with Dolby Cinema is that they don't use masking. In a regular screen at AMC, the screen is 1.85.1 and if the main presentation is scope the screen will then wooden at the sides and shrink at the top to perfectly got the image. Dolby doesn't even attempt this. 2.35:1 films are shown with black bars at top and bottom.

The reason this bugs me is that once you are used to OLED you notice these when more when they are not pitch black. It is a constant reminder that in Dolby Cinema that blacks are just an even darker shade of great. If they would use masking that flaw wouldn't draw so much attention to itself.

Welp. Guess Ill save my money then especially I'm gonna get a good sound set up next year.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Welp. Guess Ill save my money then especially I'm gonna get a good sound set up next year.

Oh that shouldn't dissuade you from trying it. There are many films that there is no way I could wait until they hit Blu Ray or streaming.

Avengers Endgame or the upcoming Star Wars for example. I want to see those as soon as possible and be part of the conversation.

Trust me, Dolby will still give you the best cinema experience for those. The giant screen and immersion that provides does compensate for the imperfect blacks. And the sound is mind-blowing. That's one area where the average consumer just can't match the theater experience. You'd have to be in the top 1% wealth wise to do so.

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed.

My biggest gripe with Dolby Cinema is that they don't use masking. In a regular screen at AMC, the screen is 1.85.1 and if the main presentation is scope the screen will then widen at the sides and shrink at the top to perfectly fit the image. Dolby doesn't even attempt this. 2.35:1 films are shown with black bars at top and bottom.

Main thing I don't like about the Dolby Cinemas near me (and they are ALL this way) is the exit lights cast onto the sides of the screen and it impacts the picture. it's really unfortunate because the other auditoriums are not like this.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I for one do not trust LG to have not ballsed up somehow. There is no way to future proof yourself with new technology until there exists a way to test full compatibility. We need to wait for the new generation of consoles.

I'm sure there will be some beautiful bugs nestled, ready to wreak havoc, for those fully compliant 2.1 devices :0

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I'm with holygeesus on not buying 1st gen technology. If your main concern with HDMI 2.1 is next gen consoles, you might as well wait for the C10 and whatever incremental improvements it has over the C9. Plus, by this time next year the C10 will be cheaper than the C9 is right now.
I still really want to get a TV by Black Friday this year to replace my 5-year-old 1080p Samsung, and I'm still really tempted by the C9...

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Nah. I own a C9, and I would advise waiting if you can. The only reason I bought in this year was because my old TV was dying.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Seems like a solid tv

It is a solid TV, but for those people who really care about HDMI 2.1 features for use with the next-gen consoles, you are better off waiting until it is tested and confirmed to work properly.

Take the eARC feature as an example. There have been a lot of compatibility issues with different receivers and codecs. Some of them have been fixed and some haven't. Some may never be. When the new consoles are coming out next fall, the 9-series will be almost 2 years old, and fixing issues with it is not going to be at the top of the priority list for LG's engineers. We could end up with a situation like when they changed the tone mapping curve in game mode to make things much darker, then fixed it on the C8 but left C7 owners in the lurch.

That said, there is always a reason to wait. Next fall people will probably be saying "wait for top emission" or "wait for 8K." Assuming that HDMI 2.1 on the C9 will work flawlessly is a gamble, but if you are willing to take it, then it's a very good TV.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
With that said, there may be a way to get multichannel PCM to your older receiver while sending HDR to your TV. With an HDFury Integral 2, you can split the audio and video and have them sent to each device separately. It'll support both multichannel PCM and 4k60 HDR with minimal input lag. The only major downside is that it costs $250 + shipping. At that price point, you're already into new receiver territory.

Greatly appreciate your reply! Isn't there a cheaper alternative though? For example they have this splitter that seems to be cheaper with less bells and whistles. Wouldn't that do the trick?

Regardless I think it would still be cheaper than upgrading my receiver, because upgrading it means that I would also have to replace all speakers and I'm pretty sure it would bring me above the $250 mark.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it will work. Briefly looking at the specs, it seems to only support up to HDMI 1.4. Further, since it's just a splitter, I'm not sure if your receiver will be able to just ignore the video signal and play the audio without issues. I'm not saying it won't work, but it's hard for me to say for sure without testing it out. I wouldn't want you to spend $80 + shipping on a maybe. You might want to email HDFury directly and ask them. You may also be able to find the original HDFury Integral used (I think they go for around $100 or so). I'm not sure of any other cheaper options off the top of my head though.

I'm surprised you'd have to replace all of your speakers. Why would they not work with a new receiver?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I picked up Casino UHD last week and finally got around to watching it last night. The HDR highlights are nothing special but the film has never had such spectacular clarity and detail. Boy was it a real treat.