• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
yeah I did but it's hard to get rid. I was asking it because I remember reading there was some kind of bug with SDR Game mode but I don't know if it was fixed.

Could be limited/full rgb causing it as holy said, could be that you are not on the latest 5 release firmware, you can also use 51 brightness without any impact to black level too on game mode.

To add, you can't advance calibrate gamma/white balance/colours etc on game mode, without auto cal or a direct hookup, so its basics only, 51 brightness is the most helpful thing you can do.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Could be limited/full rgb causing it as holy said, could be that you are not on the latest 5 release firmware, you can also use 51 brightness without any impact to black level too on game mode.

To add, you can't advance calibrate gamma/white balance/colours etc on game mode, without auto cal or a direct hookup, so its basics only, 51 brightness is the most helpful thing you can do.

messiest way around the full/limited thing is just to set the source to ycbcr

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What console are you gaming on? Have you tried changing the black level? eg RGB High and Low (limited and full). If these are set incorrectly you will get crush or a washed out image.

Putting the PS4 Pro on Limited instead of Automatic seems to work, and it doesn't seems to have any effect when in HDR mode, so I guess I'll keep that. Game Mode doesn't let me change RGB so forcing it on the PS4 seems to be the only solution.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys/gals I don't know why I was under the impression going from Receiver to TV directly would reduce the picture spec. Somewhere along the way I got it in my head that i need to use the ARC feature but thanks for clarifying. I have a Denon X4200W with HDMI 2.0a. Literally haven't even opened the box yet out of anger haha.

Now in the event I wanted to use the TVs native apps, Netflix etc, I would have inferior audio for now, so its better to connect to the receiver and use an external device.
For the internal apps just use ARC, it's not inferior audio as Netflix etc can't send lossless.

For everything else just plug them into the receiver, I don't know why you're making this sound so complicated.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Putting the PS4 Pro on Limited instead of Automatic seems to work, and it doesn't seems to have any effect when in HDR mode, so I guess I'll keep that. Game Mode doesn't let me change RGB so forcing it on the PS4 seems to be the only solution.

Yes, automatic is bugged on the PS4 Pro. Or at least it was when I still had an LG. Setting it to limited is the way to go.

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have a PC hooked up to a B8, C8, E8 LG perhaps?

Because I have the option to choose 1440p at 60hz now, which I couldnt do at launch.

Did the 8 series LG OLED get an update to enable said resolution??

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm thinking about getting a new TV sometime soon and I've been lookin mostly at Samsungs qled series as they seem to be pretty good for games and I think I'm going with the Q70r (55").
Anyone got any experience with it? As I'm a complete novice when it comes to tvs I don't really know what to look out for.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Depending on the set, the stutter or judder should be pretty comparable between OLED or LED with a 30fps game. I don't notice any on my C8 or B8 playing 30fps titles.
Have you tried playing the latest Tomb Raider on the X1X with the performance mode first and then the quality mode? When I turn the camera 360 degrees in the latter mode, the stuttering on the C8 is super apparent. Not sure how it is on other TVs though.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Have you tried playing the latest Tomb Raider on the X1X with the performance mode first and then the quality mode? When I turn the camera 360 degrees in the latter mode, the stuttering on the C8 is super apparent. Not sure how it is on other TVs though.

It probably is a bit more apparent on high contrast edges when you're panning, but generally I feel 30 is a hell of a lot better vs LCD than 24 fps is, I never think about it like I would when watching a film, but games do also shove a load of post effects in, with high quality motion blur going on, so that'll help even more.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed a couple of strange and really annoying problems on my Samsung Q80R.

I tried my SNES Classic on it and it often happens that the display drops to 30fps for short amounts of time. It appears to be triggered by some visual stimuli because it almost always happens in the same situations. For example in Contra 3 it happens when I blow up an enemy base during and following the explosions, or after using a power bomb. It's easily noticeable by observing the rate of bullets, jumping, and enemies running in. It persists for as long as I don't cause the display to scroll too much, and then the display eventually kicks back to 60fps when I make the screen move forward a bit.

I'm also observing weird graphical deformations where pixels of static background elements are being deformed by nearby movements of moving objects (sprites). I took these pictures for example:

q80problemhskpn.png

This happens all over the place. Help?

These issues are extremely annoying and disappointing for such an expensive TV. If I can't find a solution for them, I'll have to return it. :/

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It probably is a bit more apparent on high contrast edges when you're panning, but generally I feel 30 is a hell of a lot better vs LCD than 24 fps is, I never think about it like I would when watching a film, but games do also shove a load of post effects in, with high quality motion blur going on, so that'll help even more.

Yes it always fascinates me that people prefer the blur of LCD over the more juddery nature of OLED. I guess it boils down to what you find more distracting to the eye.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've noticed a couple of strange and really annoying problems on my Samsung Q80R.

I tried my SNES Classic on it and it often happens that the display drops to 30fps for short amounts of time. It appears to be triggered by some visual stimuli because it almost always happens in the same situations. For example in Contra 3 it happens when I blow up an enemy base during and following the explosions, or after using a power bomb. It's easily noticeable by observing the rate of bullets, jumping, and enemies running in. It persists for as long as I don't cause the display to scroll too much, and then the display eventually kicks back to 60fps when I make the screen move forward a bit.

I'm also observing weird graphical deformations where pixels of static background elements are being deformed by nearby movements of moving objects (sprites). I took these pictures for example:

q80problemhskpn.png

This happens all over the place. Help?

These issues are extremely annoying and disappointing for such an expensive TV. If I can't find a solution for them, I'll have to return it. :/

Dejudder and de blur in the game motion settings would be my most likely place to look. Turn that all to 0 or off.
Also, try leaving game mode set just to On and not auto.
I think the TV tries to use low refresh rates to detect it on non ALLM hardware.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Dejudder and de blur in the game motion settings would be my most likely place to look. Turn that all to 0 or off.
Also, try leaving game mode set just to On and not auto.
I think the TV tries to use low refresh rates to detect it on non ALLM hardware.

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS IT THANK YOU SO MUCH! Completely turning off Game Motion Plus did the trick! :D

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: I've figured a few of them out. The gt hdr setting I was missing it in the options.

Netflix can take up to 8 hours to have changes take affect.

Getting a few hiccups on my new C9 setup.

1. I was following Rtings settings but its a little unclear how they handle all the different inputs.
I really only use my PS4 input for everything (games + netflix + Plex). So when I was setting it up I chose isf Expert(Dark Room) mode. But it should be in game mode by default right (on the PS4 dash)? ALLM is on but didn't turn on game mode automatically. Anyway do I match the game mode settings to SDR on Rtings?

When I launch a game it doesn't have HDR on at all (I tried GT Sport). Whats the deal? Deep color is enabled on ps4 and C9.

2. When Netflix launches HDR kicks in. This seems to work. But I'm still playing around with the PQ settings. But it enables HDR mode whether I'm watching HDR content or not, is this normal? Rtings recommends ISF Expert but when do I enable that since I'm either in game mode or Netflix and its HDR automatically.

3. This is more Netflix but now that I have 4k, I went and selected the higher tier sub, but its still playing 1080p content. Do I have to wait for the new billing period? Its tomorrow so no big deal if thats the case. Curious because if I let it bill me tomorrow for standard, then switch, am I locked out of 4k for a month? I'm almost curious to test it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Very interesting stuff!

PeterOpaskarDSLR_AlamoDrafthouse_Sony4KLaser-Cooler2_CROPPED.jpg

Projectionist Noah Fife stands next to the water-cooling system that keeps the 4K Laser from overheating. Older projectors use an exhaust tube that goes up to the ceiling. "This is constantly pumping water through the inside of the projector to keep everything nice and cool," Fife says. "It's a lot quieter than some of our older projectors because it doesn't have as many fans running."

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
So regarding the audio stuff discussed, what is arguably the best audio setup on PS4 for me?

I have a Denon x3500 and Sony 930e which has ARC (also while my TV doesn't have eArc my receiver does).

I have a 3.1 setup, so just L/C/R + sub.

Should I use PCM or Dolby Digital in PS4 settings? Right now my receiver is set to Dolby Digital Surround to ensure there is audio from my center. I get audio from my center whether I pick PCM or Dolby in PS4. Both seem to sound similar?

Also should I use HDMI or Optical for PS4 settings? For some reason idk why but the audio seems to sound better set to Optical then HDMI. That said, regarding my actual hook ups at the moment, I have my receiver going to Arc on my TV through HDMI and my PS4 is connected to my TV, not the receiver, through HDMI. I don't experience any kind of audio lag.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Anyone else encounter the bug where AMD settings resets to full/won't let you select YCbCr 4:2:0? Trying to play HDR games on PC is a nightmare.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Edit: I've figured a few of them out. The gt hdr setting I was missing it in the options.

Netflix can take up to 8 hours to have changes take affect.

Getting a few hiccups on my new C9 setup.

1. I was following Rtings settings but its a little unclear how they handle all the different inputs.
I really only use my PS4 input for everything (games + netflix + Plex). So when I was setting it up I chose isf Expert(Dark Room) mode. But it should be in game mode by default right (on the PS4 dash)? ALLM is on but didn't turn on game mode automatically. Anyway do I match the game mode settings to SDR on Rtings?

When I launch a game it doesn't have HDR on at all (I tried GT Sport). Whats the deal? Deep color is enabled on ps4 and C9.

2. When Netflix launches HDR kicks in. This seems to work. But I'm still playing around with the PQ settings. But it enables HDR mode whether I'm watching HDR content or not, is this normal? Rtings recommends ISF Expert but when do I enable that since I'm either in game mode or Netflix and its HDR automatically.

3. This is more Netflix but now that I have 4k, I went and selected the higher tier sub, but its still playing 1080p content. Do I have to wait for the new billing period? Its tomorrow so no big deal if thats the case. Curious because if I let it bill me tomorrow for standard, then switch, am I locked out of 4k for a month? I'm almost curious to test it.

I'm pretty sure that's an issue with the Netflix console apps. Do you have a base ps4 or pro? I think the app only supports 4K streaming on the pro.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I bought a 55uk6500ejd yesterday, nothing fancy, but it's my first foray into 4K HDR gaming and I gotta say, I'm blown away!
I had no idea it made this much of a difference. Playing AC Odyssey and it's eye-poppingly gorgeous. I kind of regret not jumping on this sooner!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Saw this video on YouTube. This guy went from a OLED Wallpaper TV to the Samsung Q90R. Biggest reasons where that he missed the HDR "pop" and it simply wasn't bright enough for him and starts comparing it to his 4K OLED laptop and says its brightness exceeds that of his OLED wallpaper TV.

However, isn't OLED actually known to be fantastic for HDR?

Oct 28, 2017
Apr 24, 2018
So I have a TCL 617 coming sometime tomorrow. Can anyone point me in the right direction for calibrating this thing? My Pro will be hooked up to it if that makes any difference.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this video on YouTube. This guy went from a OLED Wallpaper TV to the Samsung Q90R. Biggest reasons where that he missed the HDR "pop" and it simply wasn't bright enough for him and starts comparing it to his 4K OLED laptop and says its brightness exceeds that of his OLED wallpaper TV.

It depends on the scene and viewing condition. OLEDs are ideal for HDR when you are watching in a dark room and the scene has small highlight regions. Things like starfields are great, because you can have a zero-nit black pixel right next to a pixel outputting 700 nits. In a dark room where your pupils are dilated, the peak brightness is enough to be uncomfortable.

OLEDs aren't as good in bright rooms (where your pupils are contracted and 700 nits no longer has the same impact) or when displaying bright images that take up most of the field (because ABL will limit full-screen brightness to SDR levels).

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need opinions please!

Where would you play Gears 5?

IPS 27" 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor
Or
OLED 55" 4k 60hz tv

Thanks!

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I need opinions please!

Where would you play Gears 5?

IPS 27" 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor
Or
OLED 55" 4k 60hz tv

Thanks!

OLED for HDR
And if it's a 9 series LG, with VRR on

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody get eye fatigue when gaming in HDR for too long? I think it happened to me today. Went on an Assassins Creed Odyssey binge for most of the day. Got caught up in it. Immediately after I caught a headache . I'm chalking it up to HDR coupled with me playing on a monitor.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What's the general consensus on Black Frame Insertion?

I tried it on my new Samsung Q80R and while it does get rid of the motion blur, the reduction in brightness and the flickering are both very intense, to the point where I'm not sure it's worth using. Is it the kind of thing where I'm supposed to get used to it in time? What do you guys do?

Oct 28, 2017

I tried it on my new Samsung Q80R and while it does get rid of the motion blur, the reduction in brightness and the flickering are both very intense, to the point where I'm not sure it's worth using. Is it the kind of thing where I'm supposed to get used to it in time? What do you guys do?

Mostly useless. With Samsung it also introduces non-defeatable motion interpolation.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Mostly useless. With Samsung it also introduces non-defeatable motion interpolation.

Well that's a bummer. :( And yeah it also has other issues. Like one poster earlier made me realize, any form of "Game Motion Plus" being activated, even with everything set to "0", will fuck up the framerate of SNES games on the SNES Classic. Garbage.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think we've talked about this before. It comes down to how each set achieves their HDR. OLED excels at HDR through contrast with perfect blacks. Other LED's (including QLED) excel through sheer brightness.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017

It's only good if you use BFI with 60 fps games, used with 24/30/50, you'll get nasty flicker, and for 30 fps gaming you'll see a cascade effect when panning on the edges of objects, because of the panels 120hz rate strobing of 30hz content.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's only good if you use BFI with 60 fps games, used with 24/30/50, you'll get nasty flicker, and for 30 fps gaming you'll see a cascade effect when panning on the edges of objects, because of the panels 120hz rate strobing of 30hz content.

Even with 60fps games (I tried it on Sonic Mania) I found the flicker to be unbearable. I know it's meant to simulate the refresh of a CRT, but I've never seen a CRT flicker this badly.

Dez

Oct 27, 2017

Shifting between 60 fps and 30 fps will look bad on any tv. Give your eyes time to adjust and you'll get used to the 30 FPS output. The stutter isn't bad at all in most games. In fact , on Control on PC on my C7 with a 2080ti, I'm choosing max ray tracing plus settings at locked 30 FPS @ 1440p over 60 FPS at 1080p with some settings turned down on.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Even with 60fps games (I tried it on Sonic Mania) I found the flicker to be unbearable. I know it's meant to simulate the refresh of a CRT, but I've never seen a CRT flicker this badly.

Admittedly, I haven't seen a Samsung since they added game motion plus, but in my experience (at the moment a C8) its terrible using it for anything that isn't a 60 fps game, otherwise crazy flicker.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a bright, colorful game (let's say overwatch) in theory would look better on a LED?

Better is subjective. Contrast would still be important with a bright game. I still think the best way of looking at it is, LCDs will always be better in rooms with light, and OLEDs better in the dark, when it comes to HDR. Some LCDs produce so much light output, I don't know how people watch them in a dark room tbh.

Oct 28, 2017
So this might sound crazy but I'll ask anyway -any chance it's the glossy screen of the OLED that's bothering my eyes? Don't think I've ever owned a glossy screen before

opus

Oct 25, 2017
So I need some advice on a TV. Looking at a couple of options, and I'm stuck on which one I should pick up.

First-my setup: I sit about 8' away from the TV. The opposite wall has a sectional. There is a window directly across from the TV facing west, and I get a ton of light in the late afternoon/evening. I do have blackout blinds, which mitigates the reflections, but I feel like a brighter screen would help, especially for daytime viewing with the blinds open. It's the lower room of a split-level, so it gets pretty dark with the blinds closed, which is how I watch movies most of the time.

I currently have a 55" LG C5 OLED, which I've loved (outside of some customer service issues), but is pretty small in the space, and is pretty much impossible to watch during the day with the blinds open. I mostly watch movies and sports, and do some gaming, but that's definitely the secondary concern. My wife suggested going larger (!) and then said we should look at the 75" (!!) when we were looking at sizes a few months back. But now I'm torn between screen size or screen quality.

I currently have a 75" X950 purchased and on it's way from Best Buy. But I can get a 75" Samsung Q90R through their EPP discount, which makes it about $1k more than the 950. But I'm having a hard time justifying the price difference, especially if I'm going to be making compromises compared to OLED. My other option is to go with a 65" OLED, of which I'm considering the Sony A8G, which would be the same price as what I paid for the 950. But obviously, I'd be compromising with size.

So, considering all that, which would you buy:

75" Samsung Q90R ($3500)
75" Sony X950 ($2800)
65" Sony A8G ($2500)

Thanks in advance!

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was grabbing a $995 Open Box Satisfactory 65" C8 from Best Buy a bad idea or what. It was the last one in stock and I impulse bought :/

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I honestly don't understand how people claim OLED's aren't bright enough. Coming from Samsung 4061f, Panasonic LiFi rear projection, Kuro plasmas, these OLEDs feel like I'm staring into the sun at times lol. All those TV's I listed were in bright living rooms and I never really felt brightness was a huge issue lol. New OLEDs and the better LCDs are insanely bright, legit do not understand how people watch them at such high brightness levels.