• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
This isn't the most modern tech, but I just recently got a Sony KV-34XBR960 with HDMI and I've been using it mostly for the SNES and PS Classic. I know it doesn't have true scan lines like the non-digital sets, but the experience playing older stuff on it is really great.

600 nits peak minimum? Nice

Can/do companies ever ship sets below spec? Or if one fell short on brightness, would they then just not be able to market them as '8k'?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Man, with darker content I can really notice the banding from the edge-led on my Samsung MU7 :(
Not sure it developed to me more pronounced recently or I just did not notice it from the beginning.

Looking at TV tech... all the good stuff is still only availe 49"+ it seems. I would need 40" to 43" max....

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't the most modern tech, but I just recently got a Sony KV-34XBR960 with HDMI and I've been using it mostly for the SNES and PS Classic. I know it doesn't have true scan lines like the non-digital sets, but the experience playing older stuff on it is really great.

600 nits peak minimum? Nice

Can/do companies ever ship sets below spec? Or if one fell short on brightness, would they then just not be able to market them as '8k'?

This was my first HDTV! God-tier TV for the X360/PS3 era.

Heavy bitch though. Think that TV was over 200lbs.

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Man, with darker content I can really notice the banding from the edge-led on my Samsung MU7 :(
Not sure it developed to me more pronounced recently or I just did not notice it from the beginning.

Looking at TV tech... all the good stuff is still only availe 49"+ it seems. I would need 40" to 43" max....

Put up some bias lighting, it'll help!
My KS8000 developed edge glow over the years and having a bias light helped a lot.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, got another question. I sit at around 6-6,1feet from where my (new) TV will be. Supposing I finally get an OLED... would 55 be too close for it? I know they recommend 5,5 for movies and 7,5 for general usage, and I'm kinda worried about gaming that close and losing viewing range.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, got another question. I sit at around 6-6,1feet from where my (new) TV will be. Supposing I finally get an OLED... would 55 be too close for it? I know they recommend 5,5 for movies and 7,5 for general usage, and I'm kinda worried about gaming that close and losing viewing range.
6 feet is fine.I would almost say dont go any further actually.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Well I finally got my 65" 950g.... Holy shit! I quite the step up from my 10 year old plasma. I was not expecting to be this impressed after seeing some reviews on this set.

I bought this TV basically because people in this thread recommend it. I was really close to getting the q70r, thankfully it worked out.

I'm kinda shocked to see how much tv tech has advanced. 4k hdr is incredible.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I sit 4 feet away from a 55C8 and I'm not losing any viewing range. I believe 5 feet is the sweet spot

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Put up some bias lighting, it'll help!
My KS8000 developed edge glow over the years and having a bias light helped a lot.

Yeah I had bias lighting with mine since I bought it. Makes you never really notice the blooming. I since moved it upstairs and bought a C9, and let me tell you, it is amazing to be able to now watch in a completely dark room. KS8000 is perfect for the living room, and OLED is perfect for the basement.

I have the 55c9 and it is perfect. I sit about 6-8 feet. I have a movable wall mount so I can push it back for 1080p/720p content if I want and I move it closer for 4k. I had a 65" i returned, it was great for 4K but too close for cable and sports streaming.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently setting up my Samsung Q80R and I'm having a bit of trouble with audio setup. Essentially it seems like the TV is unable to pass 5.1 PCM back to my (fairly old) receiver, instead sending a Stereo signal. This means that when I connect my PS4 to my TV directly to get HDR, I only get stereo sound, which sucks balls.

I know my receiver is PCM 5.1-capable because if I connect any console directly into it, I do get 5.1 PCM sound. However it can't recognize/pass HDR to my TV.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Or is the TV just unable to send 5.1 as PCM? Sounds like such a basic thing that I can't imagine it's an actual limitation. :/

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I'm currently setting up my Samsung Q80R and I'm having a bit of trouble with audio setup. Essentially it seems like the TV is unable to pass 5.1 PCM back to my (fairly old) receiver, instead sending a Stereo signal. This means that when I connect my PS4 to my TV directly to get HDR, I only get stereo sound, which sucks balls.

I know my receiver is PCM 5.1-capable because if I connect any console directly into it, I do get 5.1 PCM sound. However it can't recognize/pass HDR to my TV.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Or is the TV just unable to send 5.1 as PCM? Sounds like such a basic thing that I can't imagine it's an actual limitation. :/

How are you connecting your tv to your receiver for audio? ARC or optical?

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we see a DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter so I can hook my PC up to my C9 and take advantage of 4k 120hz

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
ARC. I tried optical as well, with the same results :(
Neither ARC nor optical can do PCM 5.1. I guess it was a bit of a trick question. :) The PCM is unencrypted and uncompressed.

I would suggest using Dolby Digital until you are able to upgrade your receiver. And I would wait until next year when HDMI 2.1 receivers are coming out.

Also, I would suggest using optical straight from your PS4 to the receiver because ARC from an external source is unable to fix the audio delay. And it will be very noticeable. You can only add audio delay with a receiver, not subtract it.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017

The only way to get multichannel PCM from the TV to your receiver is via eARC through HDMI. Both the TV and the receiver have to support this feature. Unfortunately, the Q80R doesn't support eARC and since your receiver is fairly old, it probably doesn't support it either (I'd double check on the support page for your model on the manufacturer's website to be sure). So at the moment your only option with your current setup is stereo PCM (or lossy 5.1).

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Neither ARC nor optical can do PCM 5.1. I guess it was a bit of a trick question. :) The PCM is unencrypted and uncompressed.

I would suggest using Dolby Digital until you are able to upgrade your receiver. And I would wait until next year when HDMI 2.1 receivers are coming out.

Also, I would suggest using optical straight from your PS4 to the receiver because ARC from an external source is unable to fix the audio delay. And it will be very noticeable. You can only add audio delay with a receiver, not subtract it.

I tried optical directly to the receiver but again I was only getting stereo sound. It's only when I connect my consoles with HDMI to the receiver that I can get 5.1 PCM.
With Optical or ARC I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 but it has a delay that's unfit for gaming.

The only way to get multichannel PCM from the TV to your receiver is via eARC through HDMI. Both the TV and the receiver have to support this feature. Unfortunately, the Q80R doesn't support eARC and since your receiver is fairly old, it probably doesn't support it either (I'd double check on the support page for your model on the manufacturer's website to be sure). So at the moment your only option with your current setup is stereo PCM (or lossy 5.1).

So you mean there's absolutely no way to get 5.1 PCM sound out of this TV whatsoever?

Edit: I find it weird that years old consoles are able to output 5.1 PCM through HDMI just fine but a 2019 TV somehow can't?

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
According to rtings target luminance of 100cd/m² in a dark room is '9' on Sony OLED. It's plenty bright at that setting, especially in a dark room.

My bedroom LED is set at like 3 or sometimes minimum when I watch TV in bed. I guess maybe I am sensitive to light in some way
1. Consult a doctor.
2. Keep cranking down the brightness as low as you can handle. Go step by step and let your eyes adjust for each one. It always surprises me how low I end up when I do this.
3. Consult a doctor.
4. Make sure black frame insertion is turned off...flicker can cause headaches.
5. Buy a bias lighting solution. It helps eye strain tremendously.
6. Consult a doctor. Seriously, if you're getting recurring migraines you should check on it.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019

I'm 4-5 ft from a 65" OLED. You're good, but wouldn't go back any further.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
I tried optical directly to the receiver but again I was only getting stereo sound. It's only when I connect my consoles with HDMI to the receiver that I can get 5.1 PCM.
With Optical or ARC I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 but it has a delay that's unfit for gaming.

So you mean there's absolutely no way to get 5.1 PCM sound out of this TV whatsoever?

Edit: I find it weird that years old consoles are able to output 5.1 PCM through HDMI just fine but a 2019 TV somehow can't?
Won't solve your problem completely but DTS has less lag than Dolby from a PS4

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

The console isnt the limiting factor, it's your TV.
Optical and HDMI without e-arc, don't have the bandwidth for uncompressed 5.1 PCM or high bitrate advanced codecs, which is why going straight to your receiver enables them.

FWIW normal arc taps out at Dolby Digital Plus (which is what LG uses on it's 7/8 series TV's to transport Atmos).

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
You should be able to adjust audio delay in your receiver to match the video if you use Dolby Digital from the PS4 directly to your receiver.

If you can't get the 5.1 with Dolby Digital, you need to adjust your PS4's settings to output the audio correctly

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just arrived home with my new C8. I feel extremely guilty right now lol, gonna set it up it and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
1. Consult a doctor.
2. Keep cranking down the brightness as low as you can handle. Go step by step and let your eyes adjust for each one. It always surprises me how low I end up when I do this.
3. Consult a doctor.
4. Make sure black frame insertion is turned off...flicker can cause headaches.
5. Buy a bias lighting solution. It helps eye strain tremendously.
6. Consult a doctor. Seriously, if you're getting recurring migraines you should check on it.

I had an eye exam in 2017 and everything was normal.

I haven't used the tv in 2 days and my headaches have completely disappeared.

None of my other displays give me an issue. Plasma in the living room. Sony w600b LED LCD in the bedroom. iPhone screen. HP LED monitor etc.

It's baffling and frustrating. I mean, I CAN watch tv but I will pay for it after. I don't think there's anything wrong with me.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I had an eye exam in 2017 and everything was normal.

I haven't used the tv in 2 days and my headaches have completely disappeared.

None of my other displays give me an issue. Plasma in the living room. Sony w600b LED LCD in the bedroom. iPhone screen. HP LED monitor etc.

It's baffling and frustrating. I mean, I CAN watch tv but I will pay for it after. I don't think there's anything wrong with me.
I don't think you have a life-threatening issue, but I still think having that amount of pain triggered by moderate TV usage at a low brightness is worth checking on. It sounds like it's triggering some sort of issue or sensitivity.

Still, you do you. At the very least a bias light is a cheap & easy option worth trying. I got a luminoodle off of Amazon and am very happy with it. Make sure to order a USB on/off switch to daisy chain with it in case your TV, like mine, doesn't shut off power to its USB ports when it's turned off.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you have a life-threatening issue, but I still think having that amount of pain triggered by moderate TV usage at a low brightness is worth checking on. It sounds like it's triggering some sort of issue or sensitivity.

Still, you do you. At the very least a bias light is a cheap & easy option worth trying. I got a luminoodle off of Amazon and am very happy with it. Make sure to order a USB on/off switch to daisy chain with it in case your TV, like mine, doesn't shut off power to its USB ports when it's turned off.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a check up. Honestly I'm at the point where I don't even want to turn on the tv. It's not worth not feeling well.

Also, would a bias light even help for daytime viewing? I get pain even in the afternoon with a moderate amount of sunlight in the living room

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Last edited:

rou021

Oct 27, 2017

Like DOTDASHDOT said, there are some technical reasons for this. While multichannel PCM doesn't take up a lot of bandwidth on its own (it's been supported since the earliest versions of HDMI after all), it still has to share bandwidth with the video and any other data being processed and transmitted via the HDMI connection. My memory is a little hazy here, but lossy audio and two channel PCM (16bit/48KHz) top out around 1.5mbps, while lossless audio and multichannel LPCM can be around 25mbps. As such, the older HDMI specs didn't allot as much bandwidth for audio via ARC. This isn't just concerning what the cable itself can support (though you would need a high speed HDMI cable that also has Ethernet to use eARC), but also what the HDMI chipset can process while dealing with stuff like video data, HDCP, CEC, and the like in addition to audio. I should also note that even with current eARC devices, there are still compatibility issues due to the fact that it's both a new standard and based partly on regular ARC (which is one giant mess of compatibility in its own right).

With that said, there may be a way to get multichannel PCM to your older receiver while sending HDR to your TV. With an HDFury Integral 2, you can split the audio and video and have them sent to each device separately. It'll support both multichannel PCM and 4k60 HDR with minimal input lag. The only major downside is that it costs $250 + shipping. At that price point, you're already into new receiver territory.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a check up. Honestly I'm at the point where I don't even want to turn on the tv. It's not worth not feeling well.

Also, would a bias light even help for daytime viewing? I get pain even in the afternoon with a moderate amount of sunlight in the living room
It won't do a lot for daytime viewing, though it depends on how much light your room gets.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Time for some little impressions of my new C8, as someone used to have shitty LCDs. It's the first time I spend more than 200-300€ on a Tv and I feel a little guilty but...

.. the quality is indeed amazing. First, I always heard how bad SD looks on OLED but even that I think it looks good. Sadly I don't have any 4k movie yet but I'm gonna remedy that soon, but even regular FullHD stuff is amazing. The sound quality is pretty nice too!

About my Pro. I tried Tetris Effect first, but I don't know why HDR doesn't kick with it, anyone knows anything about that game?

Then I tried Spiderman, HDR works fine and looks stunning, although I ting I have a lil bit of black crush, but I have to tinker with the settings too. I gotta say I noticed the famous OLED judder with Spiderman, it's not horrible and better than I imagined but it's here, I hope i can adapt soon, the weird is...

... I tried the MHW Beta, 4k res 30 fps, and with that I notice 0 judder! It's weird because it doesn't have as good motion blur as Spiderman, but as someone who's gonna play a shit ton of Iceborne soon, I'm so happy with this.

Also I have a dark room and the TV is briiiight as fuck (maybe too bright in HDR mode!), but weirdly doesn't hurt the eyes like a regular LED, so it's cool.

Oh, I also have a problem with my PS4, If I turn it before the TV it doesn't show anything, need to turn it once i'm in the HDMI channel for the console.

All in all, I'm very happy with this TV although I'm gonna have the guilt for a couple of days, my PC monitor looks so crappy now lol Tomorrow I'll probably play with the settings of the TV, but for now I gotta kill Velkhana.

EDIT: Oh, I was expecting to hate the controller, but I actually love it lol

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Like DOTDASHDOT said, there are some technical reasons for this. While multichannel PCM doesn't take up a lot of bandwidth on its own (it's been supported since the earliest versions of HDMI after all), it still has to share bandwidth with the video and any other data being processed and transmitted via the HDMI connection. My memory is a little hazy here, but lossy audio and two channel PCM (16bit/48KHz) top out around 1.5mbps, while lossless audio and multichannel LPCM can be around 25mbps. As such, the older HDMI specs didn't allot as much bandwidth for audio via ARC. This isn't just concerning what the cable itself can support (though you would need a high speed HDMI cable that also has Ethernet to use eARC), but also what the HDMI chipset can process while dealing with stuff like video data, HDCP, CEC, and the like in addition to audio. I should also note that even with current eARC devices, there are still compatibility issues due to the fact that it's both a new standard and based partly on regular ARC (which is one giant mess of compatibility in its own right).

With that said, there may be a way to get multichannel PCM to your older receiver while sending HDR to your TV. With an HDFury Integral 2, you can split the audio and video and have them sent to each device separately. It'll support both multichannel PCM and 4k60 HDR with minimal input lag. The only major downside is that it costs $250 + shipping. At that price point, you're already into new receiver territory.

But I really don't understand. If my PS4 is connected directly to my TV, and audio is sent to my receiver via ARC, the entire HDMI bandwidth on that port is dedicated to audio. It's not sending any video back to the receiver. There's nothing else going through that's cable?

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
But I really don't understand. If my PS4 is connected directly to my TV, and audio is sent to my receiver via ARC, the entire HDMI bandwidth on that port is dedicated to audio. It's not sending any video back to the receiver. There's nothing else going through that's cable?
Well technically, it's not just audio going through the cable, but other data (like CEC) as well. Nonetheless, you're correct in that there isn't much bandwidth utilized through the ARC/eARC HDMI connection itself.* The HDMI chipset, however, is a different story.

If the data are planes, then the chipset can be likened to air traffic control (and even the airport too). It has to control and process all of the I/O data before it sends it through the ARC cable. After it's sent, you then need to have the AVR's chipset be able to handle all of the data its given, while occasionally sending some back to the TV (HDMI isn't always one way). While some later chipsets might have specs good enough to handle all of this—overpowered HDMI hardware is why some HDMI 2.0 devices have gotten HDMI 2.1 features backported—many earlier or cheaper ones do not. And even if you did have the horsepower to do it, new standards (which probably includes HDCP considerations) for it had to be created and implemented too since the old standards were geared towards old hardware.

That's another advantage to eARC as it's also supposed to have fewer compatibility issues compared to its predecessor. In theory at least, eARC is supposed to be more standardized and provide a better degree of future proofing for newer receivers and sound bars with all of the extra bandwidth. We'll see how that goes, but regular ARC implementation as been one giant mess, so any improvement here is welcome.

*EDIT: I forgot to add that the ARC does carry video because the main A/V out from a receiver is usually going into the ARC HDMI input too. So I misspoke as I assume it's still probably reserving a large portion of the bandwidth for video in addition to the other data. Regardless, the chipset itself is still likely to be the bigger limiting factor.

Last edited:

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I just got my C9, reading this last page caught me off guard. i didn't realize I would be limited with ARC and my receiver now I'm wondering what to do.

If I plug my PS4 into the receiver and the receiver sends everything to the TV, what video options am I sacrificing exactly? If I understand, I won't get full HDR support or something?

Also when using a native TV app like Netflix which has HDR content, how do I send the audio to the receiver for the best audio possible (uncompressed/5.1 whatever Netflix does best). Do I have to use ARC for that or is there a native input. Fuck this sucks. I'm basically choosing good audio or good video.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Labor Day deals we're good enough for me to finally bite the bullet! Ordered the x950g and it should be here next Saturday. Kind of ruins my plans for starting Gears 5 on Thursday night, but I think the wait will be worth it.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Well I finally got my 65" 950g.... Holy shit! I quite the step up from my 10 year old plasma. I was not expecting to be this impressed after seeing some reviews on this set.

I bought this TV basically because people in this thread recommend it. I was really close to getting the q70r, thankfully it worked out.

I'm kinda shocked to see how much tv tech has advanced. 4k hdr is incredible.
Congrats! I think you made the right move getting the Sony too.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I just got my C9, reading this last page caught me off guard. i didn't realize I would be limited with ARC and my receiver now I'm wondering what to do.

If I plug my PS4 into the receiver and the receiver sends everything to the TV, what video options am I sacrificing exactly? If I understand, I won't get full HDR support or something?

Also when using a native TV app like Netflix which has HDR content, how do I send the audio to the receiver for the best audio possible (uncompressed/5.1 whatever Netflix does best). Do I have to use ARC for that or is there a native input. Fuck this sucks. I'm basically choosing good audio or good video.
In addition to the above, if I choose to connect PS4 to Denon receiver, how do I choose whether to get full Dolby Vision HDR (or w/e highest bitrate video) vs choosing to have best possible audio. Do I toggle the bitstream option in PS4, or something else?

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to the above, if I choose to connect PS4 to Denon receiver, how do I choose whether to get full Dolby Vision HDR (or w/e highest bitrate video) vs choosing to have best possible audio. Do I toggle the bitstream option in PS4, or something else?
What reciever do you have? I have a Denon and everything's plugged into that, not my C9. But I get 4K 60hz, HDR10, Dolby Vision. The only stuff I don't get is variable refresh rate, or 4k 120hz.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017

Don't panic yet. HDR support will depend on your model of receiver. If you have a newer receiver with at least HDMI 2.0a, then you can pass HDR10 and Dolby Vision through it just fine. HDMI 2.1 and eARC aren't needed for that.

The main reason you might want eARC on your receiver is if you want to hook up devices directly to your TV, and then have the TV relay the lossless/uncompressed audio from said devices to the receiver. You might do this because many of the HDMI 2.1 features may not be supported by older receivers, so connecting your devices with these features to the TV instead of going through the receiver first will get around this. If the TV and receiver both (properly) support eARC, then you'll be able to keep the better audio formats as well.

As far as Netflix and other video streaming services are concerned, they don't currently have lossless/uncompressed audio (e.g. multichannel PCM, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD MA, True HD w/ Atmos, or DTS:X). I believe the version of Atmos they use is a lossy version and thus should still be supported over regular ARC, though I'd have to double check.

EDIT: To answer your second post, you'll need to enable the high bandwidth HDMI mode on each device in the chain to get HDR: the TV, receiver, and source device (PS4). The name of this setting varies between brands. On the C9, it's labeled "Ultra HD Deep Color" and on my Denon receiver it's called "Enhanced" under 4K signal format. I'm not sure off the top of my head what it's called on PS4 (it might be "Deep Color").

Last edited:

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks guys/gals I don't know why I was under the impression going from Receiver to TV directly would reduce the picture spec. Somewhere along the way I got it in my head that i need to use the ARC feature but thanks for clarifying. I have a Denon X4200W with HDMI 2.0a. Literally haven't even opened the box yet out of anger haha.

Now in the event I wanted to use the TVs native apps, Netflix etc, I would have inferior audio for now, so its better to connect to the receiver and use an external device.

Ghostshark

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just got my LG C9 today to replace my dead ks8000. Wow. The picture is a stunning upgrade. I haven't messed with the settings yet, as doing that as a colorblind person alone is a nightmare, but I'm really impressed with how it looks set to the default game mode.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My TCL R617 won't let me change the local dimming setting anymore :v

Not like I wouldn't want it on anything but high, but it still bugs me

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah I did but it's hard to get rid. I was asking it because I remember reading there was some kind of bug with SDR Game mode but I don't know if it was fixed.

What console are you gaming on? Have you tried changing the black level? eg RGB High and Low (limited and full). If these are set incorrectly you will get crush or a washed out image.