• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I think I accidentally fucked up my LG B6 OLED panel. :(

It's 3 years old now...two weeks ago me and a friend played Tetris 99 for an entire evening. I noticed something weird shortly after, when a solid color was on the panel...then I did check a 'burn-in fix' on Youtube to have the whole panel covered with the same solid color.

It fucking burned in, the bottom of the frame of the Tetris board and some of the little squares on each sides, it's all there, right in the bottom-middle of the screen. Extremely noticeable on yellow, orange and blue.

I tried running the 'Clear Panel Noise' app a dozen of times but it's still there...I'm fucking let down rn, never in my life I'd think that something like 4-5 hours of intensive play would fuck it up like that. I feel like shit because I paid 2700$CAD for that thing back then.

sorry to hear that :(

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The TV comes with built-in Google Assistant, so don't need the external Google Home.

The TV would need to be on with the remote in hand in order to use the Google Assistant though, right?

I am referring to doing this via the Google Home rather than having to use the remote. It's great being in the kitchen and being able to turn on my Chromecast equipped TV via Google Home and then providing that voice command to play a Netflix show on my TV without having to fiddle with a remote.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but on the Netflix app for example, I can start playing something and choose my TV from my iPhone and the TV will open its native app and start playing whatever I'd picked. Same with YouTube. You can then control it via the app or using the remote.

This isn't what I was referring to exactly, but it's nice to know I can do this. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The TV would need to be on with the remote in hand in order to use the Google Assistant though, right?

I am referring to doing this via the Google Home rather than having to use the remote. It's great being in the kitchen and being able to turn on my Chromecast equipped TV via Google Home and then providing that voice command to play a Netflix show on my TV without having to fiddle with a remote.

I just tried it. If I ask it to play on the TV, it will try playing it on the NVidia Shield (Which, not sure how it works on a Chromecast, but the TV won't turn on as it doesn't appear to like the HDMI-CEC commands even though they're all turned on through the Shield).

If I say "Hey Google, Ask LG to play Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Netflix", it will do it as long as the TV is on. When the TV is on standby (specifically not fully shut down), I get this:

IMG_20190731_131911.jpg

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but on the Netflix app for example, I can start playing something and choose my TV from my iPhone and the TV will open its native app and start playing whatever I'd picked. Same with YouTube. You can then control it via the app or using the remote.
I just tried it. If I ask it to play on the TV, it will try playing it on the NVidia Shield (Which, not sure how it works on a Chromecast, but the TV won't turn on as it doesn't appear to like the HDMI-CEC commands even though they're all turned on through the Shield).

If I say "Hey Google, Ask LG to play Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Netflix", it will do it as long as the TV is on. When the TV is on standby (specifically not fully shut down), I get this:

IMG_20190731_131911.jpg

Thank you! Appreciate you trying this out. I guess I will likely just upgrade to a Chromecast Ultra. I would likely get a Shield if I needed additional features, but it seems overkill for my purposes.

With Chromecast on my ST50, the TV will turn on if it's off when I ask it to play something from Netflix which I really enjoy. Hopefully the same will happen on the C9 with Chromecast. Can't wait to get it. Going to be ordering it next week.

Last edited:

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Anyone here have a Sony X950G, or maybe X900F? Was considering it if its any good. Always had good experiences with Sony, and I am wary of OLED over burn-in.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
I think I accidentally fucked up my LG B6 OLED panel. :(

It's 3 years old now...two weeks ago me and a friend played Tetris 99 for an entire evening. I noticed something weird shortly after, when a solid color was on the panel...then I did check a 'burn-in fix' on Youtube to have the whole panel covered with the same solid color.

It fucking burned in, the bottom of the frame of the Tetris board and some of the little squares on each sides, it's all there, right in the bottom-middle of the screen. Extremely noticeable on yellow, orange and blue.

I tried running the 'Clear Panel Noise' app a dozen of times but it's still there...I'm fucking let down rn, never in my life I'd think that something like 4-5 hours of intensive play would fuck it up like that. I feel like shit because I paid 2700$CAD for that thing back then.
That's a bummer. I'm actually really surprised that it could get burn-in after 4-5 hours. It normally still takes at least hundreds of hours of displaying the same static content for burn in to set in on the older OLED models. Was this 4-5 hours also the cumulative amount of time you played Tetris or was this just one 4-5 hour session out of many hours of play? Also, what was your OLED Light setting?

Either way, I'd recommend contacting LG about it. Although there's no guarantee they'll do anything, a lot of people are reporting that LG's been doing panel replacements for their burned in TVs. Keep in mind these have been panel replacements and not whole TV replacements though, so don't get excited about some sort of an upgrade. They've even covered TVs past the one year factory warranty, including the 2016 models. Again, they may still decide to not cover it, but enough people have been having success doing so that it's definitely worth a shot.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer. I'm actually really surprised that it could get burn-in after 4-5 hours. It normally still takes at least hundreds of hours of displaying the same static content for burn in to set in on the older OLED models. Was this 4-5 hours also the cumulative amount of time you played Tetris or was this just one 4-5 hour session out of many hours of play? Also, what was your OLED Light setting?

Either way, I'd recommend contacting LG about it. Although there's no guarantee they'll do anything, a lot of people are reporting that LG's been doing panel replacements for their burned in TVs. Keep in mind these have been panel replacements and not whole TV replacements though, so don't get excited about some sort of an upgrade. They've even covered TVs past the one year factory warranty, including the 2016 models. Again, they may still decide to not cover it, but enough people have been having success doing so that it's definitely worth a shot.
I'll certainly give it a shot, thanks for that post!

We played a lot of Tetris 99, but that evening was the longest time we played, there was content that went by between the other sessions that wouldn't make in prone to burn-in.

When I checked my OLED brightness after noticing that nasty burn in, it was set to 95 (!!!) for which I was sure to have toned down to like 65 when I got it, perhaps it went back to this after an update, I don't know.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll certainly give it a shot, thanks for that post!

We played a lot of Tetris 99, but that evening was the longest time we played, there was content that went by between the other sessions that wouldn't make in prone to burn-in.

When I checked my OLED brightness after noticing that nasty burn in, it was set to 95 (!!!) for which I was sure to have toned down to like 65 when I got it, perhaps it went back to this after an update, I don't know.

Don't forget, HDR OLED light is different from standard OLED light, my C9 defaults to 100 in HDR, so check both modes.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Wow talk about embarrassing Sony's flagship for £1300 less......lucky for Sony, Panasonic ignore the US market.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Sony TVs are always massively overpriced. Still chuffed with my AF9 but the Panny looks good for the money.

It's comparing the best TV's at the end of the day, all are good really, but it's amazing that in every category bar slightly sharper scaling on the Sony, the Panny is ahead..... 0.55 DE wow! Best OLED money can buy I'd say.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
That could be it...I remember setting my TV with my PS4 Pro. Just remembered that every single inputs have their own settings....
The harder OLED is driven, the faster the pixels will wear out and lose their brightness. Since burn in is caused by uneven aging of pixels, a really high peak luminance from the OLED setting could've been a part of the problem. The 2017 and later LG models have a way of compensating for this to a small degree (in addition to other anti-burn in features), but unfortunately the 2016's seem to be the ones most susceptible to burn in.

While OLED Light should be left at 100 for HDR10 (and Dolby Vision at 50 for models prior to 2019) in order for it to be displayed properly, it should be set much lower for SDR. In properly mastered HDR, it's usually only the highlights that get really bright anyway, while the rest of the picture is comparable in brightness to SDR (there are exceptions to this of course). The main issue with raising OLED Light in SDR, however, is that the overall brightness of the image is usually increased along with the highlights. It's usually a good rule of thumb to keep OLED Light below at least 50 in SDR with LG's OLEDs.

LG has also stated that burn in can happen due to defective panels. Personally, I suspected that explanation was mostly bullshit as LG was implying it was less due to the characteristics of the display tech and more due to a whole new category in which you can lose in the panel lottery. Even still, I suppose it's possible there could be some variance in susceptibility to burn in between panels.

Regardless, I hope LG will still try to fix your panel. While Best Buy's extended warranty plan is the only one that I know of that explicitly states it covers burn in, LG seems to be replacing burned in panels more often than not here lately.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Near oled? Nah. Just get the 64 inch oled
Sorry I was actually referring to the LG 75SM9070PUC which is a higher end model.

Definitely seen it cheaper though, maybe i'll wait for a sale.
Ever think about moving your furniture around to sit alittle closer? That's what I encouraged my cousin to do when he went from a 82" Mitsubishi DLP.... to a 65" OLED. TV still looks Huge.

After while, I think you'd forget the difference...and enjoy OLED benefits.

Buuuut that being said, these 75" TV deals that have been going on are great. I've been thinking of getting my Mom one, instead of getting her an OLED because I don't think she'd take advantage of a 4k OLED TV.
C9 would be my ideal tv but I plan on moving soon and want to future proof my purchase. Maybe in my new place I could accomodate a closer seating position but maybe I can't and don't want to take the risk. Personally seeing both the OLED and an LED 75" in a home environment, the 75" has a wow factor that can't be beat. You do have a point about adjusting to the picture size over time, I'm rocking a 50" right now and don't even find it terrible. But I did wait 10 years for an upgrade.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry I was actually referring to the LG 75SM9070PUC which is a higher end model.

Definitely seen it cheaper though, maybe i'll wait for a sale.

C9 would be my ideal tv but I plan on moving soon and want to future proof my purchase. Maybe in my new place I could accomodate a closer seating position but maybe I can't and don't want to take the risk. Personally seeing both the OLED and an LED 75" in a home environment, the 75" has a wow factor that can't be beat. You do have a point about adjusting to the picture size over time, I'm rocking a 50" right now and don't even find it terrible. But I did wait 10 years for an upgrade.

How about waiting for their TCL 75" 8k Tvs? They will support HDMI 2.1 and are quantum dot displays. Should be releasing later this year. I believe there will be two versions. Flagship version...and 8 Series 75" version.

I'm hoping the cheaper version will be close to the price range of the 65" C9 OLED.. $2,200-$2,500. Just wishful thinking.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
How about waiting for their TCL 75" 8k Tvs? They will support HDMI 2.1 and are quantum dot displays. Should be releasing later this year. I believe there will be two versions. Flagship version...and 8 Series 75" version.

I'm hoping the cheaper version will be close to the price range of the 65" C9 OLED.. $2,200-$2,500. Just wishful thinking.
8k sounds incredibly overkill :D but I can monitor it and see what it offers for sure.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Don't forget, HDR OLED light is different from standard OLED light, my C9 defaults to 100 in HDR, so check both modes.
I can't imagine any scenario where OLED light would need to be 60+ in SDR. I keep mine on 48 and it looks good both in daytime and at night (where it's actually too bright, but laziness)

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Enjoy! What are you upgrading from? I'm going to be ordering a 65" C9 next week myself. Can't wait!

I'm upgrading from a 49" X900F. It's a good TV—had it for about a year. But before that I had a 42" Panasonic Plasma, and there are things about it I miss. Figured I should just get the OLED and be done with it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wow talk about embarrassing Sony's flagship for £1300 less......lucky for Sony, Panasonic ignore the US market.

can you get such a thing as a VESA stand? I can't easily wall mount, the TV sits on a BESTA bench. But due to the limited headroom I can only fit a 55" - or a 65" if it has a *tiny* stand, like the sonys. All other TVs won't fit unless I could get a similarly slim stand to attach to the VESA mount

Still not upgrading this year - haven't had my XD93 very long, and waiting on solid VRR and maybe increased OLED brightness as my room is very bright. But I am increasingly disillusioned with my XD93. Quite a lot of blooming even when local dimming is set to low (luckily the quality is decent even with local turned off), and more annoyingly its the black sheep of the Sony range. Was the high end that year but has an old chipset so constantly misses out on updates that 'lower end' models from the same year get - like HLG support for iplayer

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
can you get such a thing as a VESA stand? I can't easily wall mount, the TV sits on a BESTA bench. But due to the limited headroom I can only fit a 55" - or a 65" if it has a *tiny* stand, like the sonys. All other TVs won't fit unless I could get a similarly slim stand to attach to the VESA mount

Still not upgrading this year - haven't had my XD93 very long, and waiting on solid VRR and maybe increased OLED brightness as my room is very bright. But I am increasingly disillusioned with my XD93. Quite a lot of blooming even when local dimming is set to low (luckily the quality is decent even with local turned off), and more annoyingly its the black sheep of the Sony range. Was the high end that year but has an old chipset so constantly misses out on updates that 'lower end' models from the same year get - like HLG support for iplayer

Yeah Vesa stands are easy to find, you are probably doing the right thing turning local dimming off tbh, I personally think fald is almost pointless with a low amount of zones, it's too jarring when it comes to low APL scenes, it used to annoy me with 512 zones, and you end up attracted to it, especially with HDR.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Vesa stands are easy to find, you are probably doing the right thing turning local dimming off tbh, I personally think fald is almost pointless with a low amount of zones, it's too jarring when it comes to low APL scenes, it used to annoy me with 512 zones, and you end up attracted to it, especially with HDR.

Yeah and honestly in a bright room black levels look great anyway

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Is apple tv is the only way to watch 4k hrd movies in europe?
Youtube doesnt have that many 4k hrd movies.

I really want to rewatch Alita

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
This is going to annoy people in the North American market, but the Panasonic GZ2000 (i.e. the flagship Panny OLED) have started to hit the market here in the UK now, and it looks an utterly stunning TV and is managing a whopping 959 nits which is unparalleled for an OLED.

Check the screen grabs in this thread.

Throwing my hat into the "god why does Panasonic not want to enter the North American market" ring. Nearly 1000 nits on an OLED is a game-changer.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to annoy people in the North American market, but the Panasonic GZ2000 (i.e. the flagship Panny OLED) have started to hit the market here in the UK now, and it looks an utterly stunning TV and is managing a whopping 959 nits which is unparalleled for an OLED.

Vincent measured over 900 too, good to see an actual bump over previous Panny mid and top end OLED's.

Anyhow THIS is the best OLED money can buy haha.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Vincent measured over 900 too, good to see an actual bump over previous Panny mid and top end OLED's.

Anyhow THIS is the best OLED money can buy haha.
Well, unless you're a filthy American.

I know lots of EU people were miffed about TCL but I would trade them all day for Panasonic.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I am close to pulling the trigger on a C8, but the uniformity issues and burn in risk are making me a bit hesitant. $2600 CAD for the 65" version is a great price though.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Any calibration pointers for an LG C8? I saw the links in the first post, but it appeared to be about 2 years old so wondered if things had changed. I do have a colorimeter. And the TV will be used 95% for gaming.

Also it looks like you can't adjust White Balance in HDR game mode?

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
LG B8 65" $1799 at Best Buy this weekend. Question: do the B8 and C8 have that LG Eye comfort mode or is it only on the C9?

Just a heads up, if you follow deals, the 65" C9 should start hitting $1999 or less within the next few weeks at popular authorized online discounters like Beachcamera and Greentoe. It has already been $2099 a few times.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

Come back to the USA Panasonic.

Just a heads up, if you follow deals, the 65" C9 should start hitting $1999 or less within the next few weeks at popular authorized online discounters like Beachcamera and Greentoe. It has already been $2099 a few times.

Getting to 2k already? Nice.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The best LCD unavailable to the common man, you mean. Hopefully the tech can be cheaply added to mainstream LCDs in the coming years. I'm not touching OLED with a 10-foot pole.

You've got Apple and Hisense coming out with something similar.

I'll continue enjoying my OLED for the next few years though.

Does Panasonic make their own OLED panels or are they also just using LG-produced panels?

LG panels.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
You've got Apple and Hisense coming out with something similar.

I'll continue enjoying my OLED for the next few years though.

LG panels.

Then it makes me question the nit-level being anything notable. Some of the early release C9 were measured really high as well (though maybe not north of 900), so it seems like it's likely as much down to luck-of-the-draw panel variability and which sample any given reviewer is looking at. Though I suppose maybe Panasonic is willing to push the brightness a bit more, but that would make me worry about panel longevity frankly.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Then it makes me question the nit-level being anything notable. Some of the early release C9 were measured really high as well (though maybe not north of 900), so it seems like it's likely as much down to luck-of-the-draw panel variability and which sample any given reviewer is looking at. Though I suppose maybe Panasonic is willing to push the brightness a bit more, but that would make me worry about panel longevity frankly.
Yeah, they can definitely make adjustments for power draw to push as needed.