• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only device that supports HDMI 2.1 VRR is the XB1X, and it is not great for testing VRR.

Yeah, there's been some readings on the port that suggest that the VRR range is 40-120hz, but we won't know until hopefully these new NVidia Super cards come with HDMI 2.1, because Navi bloody isn't.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to stay on top of great deals for newly released TVs? Is Slickdeals really my only option? Ha I feel that once a TV deal goes live on Slickdeals, it's almost always sold out.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Similar to the previous poster:

The Samsung Q90R pretty much sounds like the dream TV I've been waiting for, but its launch price is kind of excessive. How long will it be until it goes on a significant sale and how much of a discount % can I expect? When should I look for the best deals? Black Friday? Boxing Day? Other?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Usually Black Friday and around the holidays is when the big sales usually happen. After that, they also go on sale at around the time the new models are coming out or are about to come out from retailers just trying to clear out old stock.

Oct 27, 2017
I have bought an Oled E9 and made an upgrade from an 2016 Oled TV. Very happy with it, with an nice upgrade on HDR gaming content. What a pleasure to game on an Oled (already have a 2016 Oled and game on it since then, on consoles and PC). With the series 9 features on gaming side, i am very happy with the upgrade.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Whats the best way to move an OLED? I have the original box still, but it's such a pain in the ass cus you have to unscrew the base from the back ans these fucking things are so thin theyre hard to move. Do I just put a blanket down and lay it face down on my ottoman or something to take the base off?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Similar to the previous poster:

The Samsung Q90R pretty much sounds like the dream TV I've been waiting for, but its launch price is kind of excessive. How long will it be until it goes on a significant sale and how much of a discount % can I expect? When should I look for the best deals? Black Friday? Boxing Day? Other?

I have the 75", and I absolutely love it so far. It is currently on sale for $700 off at Best Buy. The 65" is on sale for $500 off.

If you have an employee discount through Samsung (I work for a company that has such a program with Samsung), it can be had for significantly less directly from Samsung.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have the 75", and I absolutely love it so far. It is currently on sale for $700 off at Best Buy. The 65" is on sale for $500 off.

If you have an employee discount through Samsung (I work for a company that has such a program with Samsung), it can be had for significantly less directly from Samsung.

Yeah no, I'm in Canada and the Canadian Best Buy doesn't have it for sale. And I don't have an employee discount. That's not what I'm asking about. When in next year(s) will be the lowest I can have it for?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Whats the best way to move an OLED? I have the original box still, but it's such a pain in the ass cus you have to unscrew the base from the back ans these fucking things are so thin theyre hard to move. Do I just put a blanket down and lay it face down on my ottoman or something to take the base off?

That should work. I was terrified of grabbing and setting my 65 inch face down but it's a lot stronger than it looks. If someone knows of a better way, let us know, although I hope I don't have to touch my tv for a few years at least lol

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That should work. I was terrified of grabbing and setting my 65 inch face down but it's a lot stronger than it looks. If someone knows of a better way, let us know, although I hope I don't have to touch my tv for a few years at least lol
YES please any tips I can get would be great. Should I wrap the screen in something so it's not getting smeared up by the stryofoam? IDK! I'm so glad to be done renting and finally in a house that I own lol, this shit ain't never moving, except when I move it to the bedroom and get a 65 inch for the game room LOLOLOL

Oct 27, 2017
The 55" are so thin and light though. I've moved my up and down stairs a few times just by myself. The 77" on the other hand I don't want to think about.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently moving and had to pack mine up yesterday.

Lay the box flat on the ground, put the Styrofoam blocks in there for support, place a bed sheet/original thin styrofoam cover over the TV to protect the screen and lay the front of the TV flat on the box, unscrew stand, pick up TV and place it into box base. It's pretty straightforward! Just don't put too much pressure on the screen when lifting it and really support the bottom

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read through whole thread. ERA's opinions on the following Samsung models:

QN75Q70RA
QN75Q80RA
QN75Q90RA

Saw the 80 and 90s have a better wide viewing angle. Though price jumps up there as you move through models so not sure if worth it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm currently moving and had to pack mine up yesterday.

Lay the box flat on the ground, put the Styrofoam blocks in there for support, place a bed sheet/original thin styrofoam cover over the TV to protect the screen and lay the front of the TV flat on the box, unscrew stand, pick up TV and place it into box base. It's pretty straightforward! Just don't put too much pressure on the screen when lifting it and really support the bottom
Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read through whole thread. ERA's opinions on the following Samsung models:

QN75Q70RA
QN75Q80RA
QN75Q90RA

Saw the 80 and 90s have a better wide viewing angle. Though price jumps up there as you move through models so not sure if worth it.

Picture wise they are the best non oled tvs on the market. Biggest ding is no DV support.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa

QN75Q70RA
QN75Q80RA
QN75Q90RA

See if you can find a Q9FN first is my advice. Should be cheaper, and is better in some ways.

As the above poster said the biggest issue is no Dolby Vision. Everyone but Samsung is playing ball.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I posted last week about this but am now pondering another option... I have a 46" Samsung 1080p from a few years ago (it's not a smart TV) in our living room. It isn't our primary TV (that'd be in the basement) but still sees quite a bit of use casually waiting for stuff in the kitchen, during meals sometimes, etc. It has a huge bezel and sits atop an ugly stand that is now empty due to us dropping cable (and the DVR), etc. Thought it'd be nice to mount a new TV, ditch the stand, class the joint up a bit. I originally considered just getting a 43" to 49" 4K TV but I'm not sure I want a black screen hanging on the wall when not watching it. I then looked at the 43" Frame and I'm quite tempted, especially now that the 2019 models are QLED. Was close to pulling the trigger then saw some videos on Ambient Mode that the Samsung QLEDs have -- that's neat too, and it seems like they even include a simpler version of Art Mode from the Frame. I don't think it mounts flush on the wall, though. I think both have a non-wall rated cable which kind of sucks. I wish the Frame had Ambient Mode, kind of surprised it doesn't since it is a QLED this year. Finally, a little disappointed that the Frame's slideshow has no shuffle and a minimum interval of 10 minutes. Also the Frame is about a $500 mark-up from the same size non-Frame QLED.

Anyhow, anyone have experience with either type of TV's ability to blend in with the environment (as well as of course being OK TVs)?

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
2020 LG OLED TV's should be interesting as they're planning a 48" version to widen their reach in the market space with lower prices and an eye on people with smaller living rooms in their homes/apartments.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
I have bought an Oled E9 and made an upgrade from an 2016 Oled TV. Very happy with it, with an nice upgrade on HDR gaming content. What a pleasure to game on an Oled (already have a 2016 Oled and game on it since then, on consoles and PC). With the series 9 features on gaming side, i am very happy with the upgrade.

How's your tint and banding in the E series?

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Hey everybody. For almost 2 years I'm owner of Samsung MU 8000 49". https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu8000
I have a question about Color Space Settings in HDR mode. I was told to always stick with "auto" color space, but noticed that red color was oversaturated in HDR.
Choosing "custom" color space and dropping "red" from 50 to 10 seemingly solved the problem. Now image looks "right". Colors are closer to SDR but more vibrant. Is this a known issue with Samsung TVs? A few friends bought more recent Samsung 4k TVs and say that hdr looks "wrong" too. They don't have patience and i don't have time to set them up.

Oct 27, 2017
How's your tint and banding in the E series?

Hi.

It was to me a surprise that there was no banding at all. In my 2016 Oled i have some degree of banding and playing Inside for example, was very noticiable. But now, the uniformity is great. Ran all slides and the panel has great uniformity. Great upgrade and see the technology improvment in here.

HDR is another hughe upgrade (regarding my 2016 previous TV). The games (Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider Man, Gears 4, etc...) have now the colours much more vibrant and colourful. Great.

I took this photo on a 5% slide and put on avsforums (Oled thread)

20190621-003851-E9.jpg

How test "tint"? I dont see any, but i like to test it

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Weird TV in general. No 2.1 and their input lag still sucks shit outside 4K. I guess I could see it being worth it over an LG if you only ever watch movies.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Hi.

It was to me a surprise that there was no banding at all. In my 2016 Oled i have some degree of banding and playing Inside for example, was very noticiable. But now, the uniformity is great. Ran all slides and the panel has great uniformity. Great upgrade and see the technology improvment in here.

HDR is another hughe upgrade (regarding my 2016 previous TV). The games (Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider Man, Gears 4, etc...) have now the colours much more vibrant and colourful. Great.

20190621-003851-E9.jpg

Thanks in advance

I don't know where you got your 5% from, but there's a 100% white on avs too. Here's two you can try to take pictures of on youtube:

100% White - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZSO0h4TB9s

Tint test - For 2019 models this will show any red tint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfR4LJEgVI&list=PLG8REZPP8poLT7DLYbChMVBdVAcYp2eA4&index=9&t=0s

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
For anyone with an Android TV/Shield and OLED (though it works fine on any ) who wants a better screensaver using your own photos and videos, I can highly highly recommend Photo Gallery and Screensaver by Furnaghan. Its £2.39 but you can add loads of different sources, you can turn off things like clocks and stuff, or turn it on if you like. Mines currently rolling through 600+ photos from a flickr album I made simply called "screensaver".

I got it because my TV won't auto off unless its not been poked for 4 hours, and the standard Android TV screensaver displays clocks and other shite in a static location. Oddly, Google is yet to update Android TV to enable you to use your own photos like this even though you can do it fine on a chromecast.

Am going to message the dev and see if he can add an "OLED" mode that will move things like clocks or weather around on the screen.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird TV in general. No 2.1 and their input lag still sucks shit outside 4K. I guess I could see it being worth it over an LG if you only ever watch movies.

I thought this comment odd, as I haven't noticed any difference between my Sony AF9 and my old LG which is on paper slightly quicker, but then I read the review of the AG9 and the lag time is a lot higher than the AF9. What happened there?

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I thought this comment odd, as I haven't noticed any difference between my Sony AF9 and my old LG which is on paper slightly quicker, but then I read the review of the AG9 and the lag time is a lot higher than the AF9. What happened there?
I have no idea, but the consensus for 2019 TVs in general has been kind of muted. Sony and Samsung both have seemed like partial stepbacks in some aspects and the HDMI 2.1 OLEDs have had their issues too (HDR/VRR not working together, BFI features gone?)

Makes me feel good about getting a C8 this year, but then that has it's own stupid issue in this bullshit firmware.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea, but the consensus for 2019 TVs in general has been kind of muted. Sony and Samsung both have seemed like partial stepbacks in some aspects and the HDMI 2.1 OLEDs have had their issues too (HDR/VRR not working together, BFI features gone?)

Makes me feel good about getting a C8 this year, but then that has it's own stupid issue in this bullshit firmware.

The VRR/HDR thing should now be fixed, but I don't have an XB1 to test. Will be interesting to see how seamless devices with actual HDMI 2.1 are connected to a C9 rather than the hack job on both sides to get XB1 Freesync working with HDMI VRR.

Even though we'll be waiting a long fucking time to find that out it seems since Navi isn't adding 2.1 on the new GPUs.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

It's unbelievable how long it's taking for them to roll this new firmware out, I'm getting mine pro calibrated tomorrow and I've had to roll back to .20, so it'll match up well when the new one does arrive, as it matches the same gamma curve as engineering firmware. Wholly unacceptable for a TV that's over a year old.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Agreed, it is a bit embarrassing when you factor in how much the TV cost. I am going to get a service remote if they haven't fixed it by my next paycheck. How hard can it be to revert the gamma back to how it was on every firmware but these last 2? I'm not an engineer but it shouldn't take 3 months lol.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, it is a bit embarrassing when you factor in how much the TV cost. I am going to get a service remote if they haven't fixed it by my next paycheck. How hard can it be to revert the gamma back to how it was on every firmware but these last 2? I'm not an engineer but it shouldn't take 3 months lol.

Funny how the C9 shipped with it isn't it......
One thing to note is that LG has blocked any reverting back to previous firmware if you go the engineer route.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Hi.

20190621-003851-E9.jpg

Thanks in advance
Blue tint on the left and right side. Ok, but not perfect.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
It really is a shame, fucked up gamma with the latest FW and raised blacks with DV through hdmi. As much as I love my new ATV, I can't help but feel disappointed that I'm not getting the optimal experience out of the films that I'm watching now. At least there isn't any problems with gaming. Yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where you got your 5% from, but there's a 100% white on avs too. Here's two you can try to take pictures of on youtube:

100% White - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZSO0h4TB9s

Tint test - For 2019 models this will show any red tint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfR4LJEgVI&list=PLG8REZPP8poLT7DLYbChMVBdVAcYp2eA4&index=9&t=0s

Made the tests and very happy with results. No noticiable tint on this panel. Guess i am lucky at panel lottery (also, this E9 is way better than my previous 2016 Oled in many regards).

Better not make any more tests and just enjoy it xD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for an hdmi splitter because my tv only has one 60hz port. I'm having a hard time finding many hubs that support 60hz that aren't crap, or cost entirely too much. Anyone have any suggestions on good ones?

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
The VRR/HDR thing should now be fixed, but I don't have an XB1 to test. Will be interesting to see how seamless devices with actual HDMI 2.1 are connected to a C9 rather than the hack job on both sides to get XB1 Freesync working with HDMI VRR.

Even though we'll be waiting a long fucking time to find that out it seems since Navi isn't adding 2.1 on the new GPUs.
Wait, really? Even the PS5 and the New Xbox? I thought that at E3 they announced that the New Xbox would do 4k@120Hz?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's unbelievable how long it's taking for them to roll this new firmware out, I'm getting mine pro calibrated tomorrow and I've had to roll back to .20, so it'll match up well when the new one does arrive, as it matches the same gamma curve as engineering firmware. Wholly unacceptable for a TV that's over a year old.

I mention this every time, but LG still haven't fixed the B6 firmware here in the UK. I wouldn't like to say they *won't* ever fix the C8 there, but I personally wouldn't be getting a pro calibration done until settled on a firmware update as you never know what they will do in any future one, and one slight change will make the entire calibration out. Unless of course your calibrator agrees to come back and redo it.

Zabojnik

Oct 28, 2017
If there are any Italians in here waiting to pull the trigger on a LG OLED, Mediaworld(.it) has an IVA / tax-free weekend going on.

The 65" B8 can be had for 1400€, which is by far the lowest price I've seen.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I mention this every time, but LG still haven't fixed the B6 firmware here in the UK. I wouldn't like to say they *won't* ever fix the C8 there, but I personally wouldn't be getting a pro calibration done until settled on a firmware update as you never know what they will do in any future one, and one slight change will make the entire calibration out. Unless of course your calibrator agrees to come back and redo it.

Yep always a risk, but I'm pretty confident that the new firmware coming will be ok, it will align with the C9 as proven by the past two C8 engineer releases, plus it has the same gamma as .20 which I currently have, not sure why it's taking so long though.